Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain Brown's Tau Painting Log (Many magnets, lots of photos, reactive camo, etc)

Smile Captain Brown's Tau Painting Log (Many magnets, lots of photos, reactive camo, etc)

My Elysian Painting Log has led me to start this second log, dedicated to the Greater Good. After reading the Taros Campaign and having Tau as one of my principle enemies in my gaming group, I have been seduced into building an army. At first it was just going to be for having some painted Tau forces to stand in for photographs…and then it grew to a purchase of the Tau Codex…then a trade with starlight and then a trade with Althanan and suddenly I had an army. Then came Apocalypse and all that it entails, since one of the gamers in my group is a dedicated Tau player, it seemed like an easy fit to build a smaller Tau Sept to support him (although Apocalypse is designed to use any number of armies against each other, it is always more impressive when you have a single huge army on each side of the board).

This is that army’s story from start to finish…

So with army book in hand and dreams of a mechanized air cavalry force in my head I started planning. To fill the void of extra transports I turned to Battlewagon Bitz who had some Devilfish Chassis available online for a reasonable amount, so I picked up three of them (minus landing gear/pilots/sensor spines/drones/stands). However Althanan had provided me with his extra bits (good trader – recommended) which I used to repair the Devilfish he sent me and flesh out these additional tanks. Some plasticard in the landing gear housing and some of the extra gun drones and I was cooking with gas.

Basic Army

I began with Troops, as you cannot field a standard army without them. So two units of 12 Firewarriors each riding in a Devilfish would give me two troop choices. Keeping with my Air Calvary theme they would terrorize the enemy with rapid deployment from Devilfish.

Then some Pathfinders, while most people seem to hate them I like the models and having twelve of them from a trade with starlight I found a use for the third Devilfish…although only eight of them are going into the unit…so I have four unassembled Pathfinders for sale or trade. This part of the army is included for purely background reasons (since Pathfinders where a very important unit in the Taros Campaign) and I will try to incorporate their Markerlights into my plans.

The left over Gun Drones (excluding the six that have become Devilfish Gun Drones) make a respectable unit of eight for the second Fast Attack selection. Not flashy, I have come to hate these little zooming robots that harass my poor Guardsmen and get in the way of things…so now I intend to use them in the same manner.

Have to do a Crisis Suit sometime as at least one is necessary for a commander. So with the three I picked up from Althanan and another three I traded for with (The Dark One) I started with three Fireknife configured suits to make an Elite choice, and another with twin-linked Fusion Blasters and a Targeting Array to serve as a Tank-Hunting Monat. Another two would be my Commander Models, one with Plasma, Multi-tracker and Missile Pod, and the other with a Fusion Blaster, Shield and Missile Pod. This gives me six suits to configure in all sorts of weird and wonderful combinations. Originally I had visions of using Rare-Earth Magnets to make the weapons interchangeable, but after drilling several arms and backs I dropped the idea…there are going to be enough magnets on the Devilfish, Hammerhead and Skyray.

So this leads to another Elite slot, and what Tau army would leave home without the Stealth suits, I had acquired four old suits and three of the new ones, originally planning on using the old ones…but the size of the new ones convinced me to switch (so I have four old suits looking for a home right now). Since I already am designing some Crisis suits to go after armour I left the Stealth’s with the Burst Cannon combination. Although I did remove the antenna from the top of their helmets and place them coming off the backpack (this should protect them better for transport).

For Heavy Support I have two Hammerhead/Skyray tanks, with the parts to make complete Skyrays or Hammerheads with the replacement of a turret. So a Rare Earth magnet or two is going to find its way into the main compartment, so that I have a good strong magnetic connection and have interchangeable turrets.

Now I have also acquired two Broadsides, however they do not seem to fit into the scheme of my army, so the decision to include them or move them is still pending.

What, no Kroot or Ethereal you ask? Well in the mechanized concept I had neither and with the numbers of Crisis Suits I could even make a Farsight Enclave army.

So a test scheme:

Here are the first six, their old Sept Schemes removed (thanks to Simple Green)

I always like to do a group of models for a test scheme...to make sure they look good togther and that I can churn them out at a good speed.

The long painting war continues...

CB

PS: Log is now complete with pictures on the last page. Thanks for all the help and support getting this army painted.

Some of the shots of progress.

Last edited by Captain Brown; 25-07-2017 at 21:24. Reason: Completed Log

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update any photos that have been lost in the hack.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Presently selling a fully painted OOP WHFB Orc, Empire and Dark Elves - come see here

Re: Captain Brown's Tau Painting Log

For the Firewarriors I started with a black undercoat (yes, a complete 180 from my Elysians) and start by painting the sand on the bases for my desert world table first, building up from Scorched Earth, to Vomit Brown, to Snakebite Leather, to a final highlight of Bleached Bone. I usually do the Tau under-suit at the same time, building from Scorched Earth with Bleached Bone Highlights, very subtle and only three layers to keep the time per model down. Then two thin coats of Vomit Brown on the armour plates then a highlight of Bronzed Flesh, and finally an extreme highlight of Bronzed Flesh and Bleached Bone. For the weapons, Chaos Black, with Codex Grey highlights (usually a very faint extreme highlight). The lights on the models are Red building up to Orange. I changed my sept symbol to White versus Black due to the fact I wanted it to stand out more. My team leaders have a little dark brown and their bonding knives (again I went for a small palette and did the ribbons on the handle of the bonding knives the same colour as the lights)

Next batch of Firewarriors:

A couple of models even were changed between striping and primer coat...due to parts just not getting clean enough after their bath in Simple Green.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 22-07-2017 at 02:59.

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update any photos that have been lost in the hack.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Presently selling a fully painted OOP WHFB Orc, Empire and Dark Elves - come see here

Looking good. But how come the Tau symbol is inverted?

Looking great!!!! For the greater good!!!

@Darkseer- what tau symbol? The shoulder pads are all correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseer View Post
    Looking good. But how come the Tau symbol is inverted?
    I assume you mean the Tau Sept symbol? I reversed my sept symbol to White over Black versus Black over White due to the fact I wanted it to stand out more.

More Firewarriors, sorry I sort of lost which was which set, however twelve are done and more are on the way...

I have done two squad leaders per twelve Firewarriors, mainly so I can break the squads down into units of six if I really want to bulk up the number of troops. However, since I only have the three Devilfish I am probably going to only field them as complete units of twelve.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 22-07-2017 at 03:01.

Somehow, after seeing all those non-standard Tau, with comments like "cool, you picked a different color shame" the sandy-brown palette of classic Tau seems... refreshing? Yes, that's a good word. Refreshing.

As for the cleaning problems, some brake fuid could help. It might kill your sinusses but it works...

From one shooty army to another eh?

They look great.
    Here's to another inspirational log!

Chapter Master One_Second_of_Insanity's Avatar

Looking God captain brown, I am looking for inspiration as to what scheme to paint my tau and I think the traditional colours look great.

Nicely painted firewarriors youve got there, and the poses are really nicely executed. I especially like the small red accent youve added on the handle of the bonding knife, it adds alot to that particular model. The scheme is well executed, what colours are you using? Is it the GW scheme?

With the number of Tau logs springing up on here, Im beginning to be tempted to start my own force....

Chapter Master VERITAS/AEQUITAS's Avatar

It was about time that you see that there has to be one more follower of the Greater Good, Captain
    You did an amazing job so far. Can't wait for the first XV8s. Let me guess - FW kits ?

nice

I agree, seeing some tau in the 'official' colourscheme is quite nice for once
    We are HULL CITY A.F.C.
    NO to Hull Tigers

Thank you guys, for all the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by VERITAS/AEQUITAS View Post
    It was about time that you see that there has to be one more follower of the Greater Good, Captain
    You did an amazing job so far. Can't wait for the first XV8s. Let me guess - FW kits ?
    No, no Forgeworld items in this army, it is entirely GW standard…other than some little extras I scratch build.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Steinmann View Post
    Nicely painted firewarriors youve got there, and the poses are really nicely executed. I especially like the small red accent youve added on the handle of the bonding knife, it adds alot to that particular model. The scheme is well executed, what colours are you using? Is it the GW scheme?

With the number of Tau logs springing up on here, Im beginning to be tempted to start my own force....
    As for the poses, look to Althanan, he posed them , I only did a few limb and head swaps/adjustments.

So before I bore you to death with more Firewarriors, here is a transport. It suffered a little mishap with it’s Burst Cannon, but Althanan included all his extra bits, so a very simple repair was executed and here is the striped Devilfish.

I struggled with the tanks, at first I was going to do a crazy tiger-stripe camo scheme…then the modeling clay spray pattern…then…well then I fell back on the standard Vomit Brown as the first two attempts looked just…out of place when compared to the uniform appearance of the rest of the army…can you see I play and paint Imperial Guard…a lot.

No Sept markings yet, and it still needs some more work, but it is coming along...in one or two places you can see some damage from the striping of old paint...not sure but I think I may do some battle damage on those spots...like I did with the Vulture in my Elysian Log.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 22-07-2017 at 03:02.

Love the crisp and sharp painting style you have.

Looking forward to more.
    The Relentless, Indomitable, Unwavering march of the Death Guard.

http://counttheseven.blogspot.com/

Good golly Captain! 3 squads and a tank in a month? Did you buy out Folgers?
    The troops look very nice, as does the devilfish. You have another winner on your hands. It'll be cool to be able to due both sides of the Taros campeign out of your own miniatures collection.
    `there's the King's Messenger. He's in prison now, being punished: and the trial doesn't even begin till next Wednesday: and of course the crime comes last of all.'`Suppose he never commits the crime?' said Alice. `That would be all the better, wouldn't it?' the Queen said.
    My back to Taros Imperial Guard log...
    My Warmaster log...
    My Chaos log... My Austrians...

Quote Originally Posted by Light of the Emperor View Post
    From one shooty army to another eh?

They look great.
    Here's to another inspirational log!
    Thanks, but players who have fought me will note that I am a pretty aggressive player and my 'gun-lines' rarely hang back...which usually surprises players once or twice...and then I get slaughtered.

Quote Originally Posted by jdp View Post
    Good golly Captain! 3 squads and a tank in a month? Did you buy out Folgers?
    The troops look very nice, as does the devilfish. You have another winner on your hands. It'll be cool to be able to due both sides of the Taros campeign out of your own miniatures collection.
    No, I just have a fair number of photos that needed posting.

Here are some of the automated members of the Cadre.

First, all the drone bits I acquired needed some stands...

WIP

Some finished Gun Drones

A pair of Shield Drones

Not sure if I will post some Sept markings on these guys.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 22-07-2017 at 03:07.

Chapter Master One_Second_of_Insanity's Avatar

Just a quick question Captain, with the devilfish was that also done over a black underoact or white, the painting is extremely smooth and I would love any pointers. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Second_of_Insanity View Post
    Just a quick question Captain, with the devilfish was that also done over a black underoact or white, the painting is extremely smooth and I would love any pointers. Cheers.
    It was a white undercoat...a white undercoat over this:

So it was not very flat. The secret is simply several watered down coats of Vermin Brown (no foundation paint required). Then build the highlights once you are finished getting the smooth coat.

Here is my next Devilfish in progress: (although it had a Desert Sand primer coat after the white...a failed attempt to make a Tiger Stripe scheme)

This one I picked up from the now defunct Battlewagonbitz (although I understand the WarStore has bought them). So it has no landing gear, however a little plasticard and the landing gear wells are filled nicely and I will place it on a flying stand.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 22-07-2017 at 03:08.

Looking good mate, looking foward to seeing more

kieran

OK, more updates...so you have seen the simple standard scheme I used on the Firewarriors, my Crisis Suits and Pathfinders are just variations of this standard theme, with the Pathfinders having more Brown and the Crisis Suits less. I have discovered that the Crisis suits are even less flexible than I originally envisioned…I should have listened to NeoXeo when he warned me about that…

Start:

Note lots of repair work on the left arm of the model on the right (right side when looking at the picture).

Finished:

Very perceptive readers will note that the left arm of the one on the right (right side when looking at this image) no longer has any grove for a weapon insert...this was because I cut the shield off and could not get the plastic remnants out...so I just filled it in and smoothed it out with some Green Stuff (or in this case Tamiya White Stuff).

Used a waterslide transfer for the Tau Sept Symbol on the back, did not like my two attempts at freehand, however the small symbols on the front are freehand.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 22-07-2017 at 03:09.

another cool looking army, you churn them out yet keep that same realistic and well painted models everytime....

you seen the tau desert army in apoc book? nicely done too, battle damage is really cool.

ia3, the best book yet eh?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast