Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain Brown's Tau Painting Log (Many magnets, lots of photos, reactive camo, etc)

Re: Captain Brown's Tau Painting Log

Thanks pompeyladbfp,

Here is another Crisis Suit, the third to make up the 'Fireknife' Team. It does not have Sept Markings yet, but it will have a similar scheme to the first two.

And all three together:

The long painting war continues...

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update any photos that have been lost in the hack.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Presently selling a fully painted OOP WHFB Orc, Empire and Dark Elves - come see here
    <

Great poses on the crisis team!

I tried for something less dynamic and ballsed mine up
    Mine look like they're dancing in time. Not good.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseer View Post
    Great poses on the crisis team!

I tried for something less dynamic and ballsed mine up
    Mine look like they're dancing in time. Not good.
    Well for poses, two of them were posed by Althanan, I did the third one to match the same walking style.

Another update:

Here is a Monat Crisis Suit for Tank Hunting.

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update any photos that have been lost in the hack.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Presently selling a fully painted OOP WHFB Orc, Empire and Dark Elves - come see here
    <

Was wondering when this log would finally pop up

It's all looking excellent thus far, glad to see my models could go to such good use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    So much common sense here, it's unusual, it must be quoted for truth.

No go tell this all those "ZOMG CHAOS LEGIONZ R GONE!!!!11"-whiners.
    My plog: Currently working on: Finishing up Space Marines, plowing through Dwarves
    <

Hey Capt.

Great painting on the firewarriors&vehicles so far, I loved them all, so clean and nice looking. Im sure they will look fantastic on the battlefield.

I only have one thing to say, however the painting quality is great on the battlesuits, their poses are a bit...boring I must say. Did they arrive to you at that stage & you were unable to reposition or was this your choice?

Oh and, are you thinking about buying some nice FW battlesuits? I find them really dynamic looking.

Keep up the good work
    <

Chapter Master One_Second_of_Insanity's Avatar

Loving the flying monat Captain Brown. painting is crisp as always
    <

Quote Originally Posted by alphachicken View Post
    I only have one thing to say, however the painting quality is great on the battlesuits, their poses are a bit...boring I must say. Did they arrive to you at that stage & you were unable to reposition or was this your choice?
    The two more upright of the first squad came like that. They were originally mine, and were the first models I built coming off a three-plus-year layoff from 40k. As you can see, I was somewhat rusty

I think the Firewarriors seen (I THINK all the ones shown so far were mine, right Captain?) show that I got back into the swing of things pretty quick, as does a Crisis suit we should hopefully be seeing soon-ish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    So much common sense here, it's unusual, it must be quoted for truth.

No go tell this all those "ZOMG CHAOS LEGIONZ R GONE!!!!11"-whiners.
    My plog: Currently working on: Finishing up Space Marines, plowing through Dwarves
    <

Quote Originally Posted by alphachicken View Post
    Hey Capt.

Great painting on the firewarriors&vehicles so far, I loved them all, so clean and nice looking. Im sure they will look fantastic on the battlefield.

Oh and, are you thinking about buying some nice FW battlesuits? I find them really dynamic looking.
    Sorry no FW items in this army, I acquired it almost entirely through trade and want to watch my bottom line...otherwise Mrs Captain Brown will get upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Althanan View Post
    The two more upright of the first squad came like that. They were originally mine, and were the first models I built coming off a three-plus-year layoff from 40k. As you can see, I was somewhat rusty

I think the Firewarriors seen (I THINK all the ones shown so far were mine, right Captain?) show that I got back into the swing of things pretty quick, as does a Crisis suit we should hopefully be seeing soon-ish?
    Yes the poses where built by Althanan, I only swapped some arms and heads. The Crisis Suits were mostly static except for the one I have converted into the Flying Monat (I think this was originally the Commander figure), I just replaced and arm, moved the head and added the targeting array.

For the Pathfinders I followed the same pattern I did with the Firewarriors. I start with a black undercoat (yes, a complete 180 from my Elysians) and start by painting the sand on the bases for my desert world table first, building up from Scorched Earth, to Vomit Brown, to Snakebite Leather, to a final highlight of Bleached Bone. I usually do the Tau under-suit at the same time, building from Scorched Earth with Bleached Bone Highlights, very subtle and only three layers to keep the time per model down. Then two thin coats of Vomit Brown on the armour plates then a highlight of Bronzed Flesh, and finally an extreme highlight of Bronzed Flesh and Bleached Bone. For the weapons, Chaos Black, with Codex Grey highlights (usually a very faint extreme highlight). The lights on the models are Red building up to Orange. I have still not decided if I want to paint a symbol on the shoulder patches so in the meantime I have left them white.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Second_of_Insanity View Post
    Loving the flying monat Captain Brown. painting is crisp as always
    Thank you.

CB

<

I cant get enough of this stuff Captain, I have been struggling with my Tau but I think you may have helped me crack through it. As far as the panel shading on the vehicles and suits goes, are you using watered down brown ink? I have found that vomit brown is very translucent and doesn't really cover any spills well.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by One_Second_of_Insanity View Post
    I cant get enough of this stuff Captain, I have been struggling with my Tau but I think you may have helped me crack through it. As far as the panel shading on the vehicles and suits goes, are you using watered down brown ink? I have found that vomit brown is very translucent and doesn't really cover any spills well.
    Thanks there Insanity, I use a watered down Tin Bitz as the shading wash on both the Suits and the Tanks. It is easier on the tanks as the channels are deep and you can wipe excess off fairly easily. The tanks also have the added bonus that the joins are at the edge of each plate, so my highlight of Bronzed Flesh helps cover any spills.

On the suits it was a little more challenging, as I washed it into the joins and it left a film that required an extra coat of Vomit Brown. I usually do several very thin coats of Vomit Brown to get the even layer. It is time consuming but worth it. Hope that helps...

Here is a WIP on my Stealth Suits, note due to the difficulty in transporting them and the fragile nature of the antenna I moved them to the power pack. Although, I am still torn on what I am going to do with the Drone Controller...

Captain Brown

<

well done Captain! First the amazing Elysian log and now this. The models look so great, keep them up.
    Current Armies/ Projects:NONE getting rid of all my Warhammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malorne View Post
    Afraid, terrifed, scared, horrified, shocked, weeping, sorrowful... the Octophallus is coming.
    <

nice looking tau you have going on there captain.

Regards
    lorcan
    <

Excellent stuff, I'll be keeping an eye on this
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Doc Grotsnik
    Personally, I burnt my Bra over this very issue last week.
    Music Wot I Make

More Music Wot I Make
    <

Thanks guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been working on my Elysians in the meantime. But to show that I have not forgotten this army...

Some Gun Drones:

A small unit of them:

Two more Firewarriors:

I realize Firewarriors and Drones are not that exciting, but you have to fill those Troop choices up and the best way to do that is doing a couple of models now and again so you can see the army grow and not be made up entirely of Special characters, Dreadnoughts and Tanks.

CB

<

OK, a group shot with my current finished models:

CB

<

Captain Brown, its all coming together very nicely
    <

I love your tau man, they look really great all together, looking froward for more progress.
    <

Thanks guys, another update...

Here is the next painted Devilfish.

How it looks underneath (as this was one I bought from Battlewagon Bitz and it had no Landing Gear).

Both Devilfish together.

More updates to follow, going to work on the Hammerhead/Skyray tank next.

CB

<

Re: Captain Brown's Tau Painting Log (Over 50 pictures dial-up beware)

Some more to my update...

First the old Hammerhead...

However I wanted to have the turret mounted with a magnet so I could swap it easily between Hammerhead and Skyray variants. I am using the plug from the Skyray kit with a Rare-Earth magnet on the inside and a matching magnet inside each turret like so:

Unfortunately the plug would not fit into the hatch hole...I could not open up the model as the previous owner had used allot of superglue and my attempts to use a remover had failed...
    So I removed the targeting array under the nose and replaced it with a Burst Cannon, added two already built Drones and an extra hatch...Devilfish #3

Waste not want not.

CB

<

Re: Captain Brown's Tau Painting Log (Over 50 pictures dial-up beware)

your tau is very good, especially with being striped... nice job on the magnets, keep it up
    <

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast