Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Litany of Hate, Word Bearers 40k log.

Re: Litany of Hate, Word Bearers 40k log.

hey, you do realise that on that first model, on the bottom of marine hands, there is a little handle that matches up with the bolter, so it should be parallel to where the hand meets the bolter. Also why not stick the model to the base to begin with, its not really getting in the way.

To improve the painting a bit, you could use a dark red inkwash then paint the basecoat on again, leaving a bit of ink showing in the recesses of the armour plates.
    Move...Move and re-aim!
    GT's
    40K 2008/2009: 23rd/6th (Necrons, chaos)
    40K 2009/2010: 15th/40th (Chaos, Space wolves)

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ukgt
    Bring back the UK GT!

Chapter Master The Laughing God's Avatar

Those guys look great so far. Although I would add something different to the bases. Maybe some rocks or dirt, to break it up from just the grass.

I really like the color scheme it looks you have done a very good job painting the red. The white looks also very good.

Keep it up,

-The Laughing God-

Blyth, Northunberland. PM for gaming club info!

Quote Originally Posted by The Laughing God View Post
    Those guys look great so far. Although I would add something different to the bases. Maybe some rocks or dirt, to break it up from just the grass.

I really like the color scheme it looks you have done a very good job painting the red. The white looks also very good.

Keep it up,

-The Laughing God-
    I agree that the models look great but the baces let them down a bit.

Have you worked out an army list yet? ? ?
    An apple a day keeps Bill Gates away.

Looking good so far. I am liking the way you have pulled off the colour scheme. Can't wait to see more.

very nice, I really like the tone of the red and the general neatness.
    Unfortunatley they are let down a bit by how onky the bolters are, maybe you wanna assemble them in a differnet order?

My 2cents,

Tomathus

looking good, although i prefer the more magenta-ish colours of the codex scheme. nice work, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.oetk3r View Post
    Biggus Dickus

Generally when I assemble models without bolters, I use a spare one in order to get the arms aligned correctly. And yes the trigger-guard is in the hand itself, it should match up with where the one on the bolter was.

It is a nice red though, and bravo on not going metallic on the trim.

Commander

It's been a while since I did anything with these, but to address some of the comments.

a) The bolter positioning, I used the same boltgun to guesstimate the position of the arms while building them, there may have been some slippage and or variation in shape of the arms since. Also the progress I have made on the subsequent models I actually paid attention and lined the bolters up right. (It's been a while since I built a bolter marine) I also figure that once the rest of the army is there to surround him Mr. first model with the wonky bolter will just fade into the mob.

b) The bases I know what you are saying about it looking like mossy-grassy type stuff, but that wasn't actually my plan at all, I'm still working on the idea, but the plan was for kind of greenish obsidian kind of effect, I'm thinking of re-doing them all with flat pieces of slate and doing it that way. Please bear in mind that I am still only really finding my feet with a new army, and am in the process of developing the colour scheme and basing scheme.

c)Army List? hardly I've built 5 bolter marines and my Dark Apostle, the only thing I'm thinking is Marine squad sizes of twelve, for fluff reasons and some truly "generic" looking Daemons. I'm actually considering fielding them as a tactically long range army with a few bits and bobs in Heavy support and totally eschewing close combat. But then I don't get to build any new Possessed and that would be a shame. I'm kind of planning to do much as I did with my 'nid army, build as I go and have as many options as possible so that any potential army cn be fielded. But definately no bikes. (I love bikes, I love the rules and the models, but having built an all-biker Emperor's Children Army using the old Codex I'm now a little tired of bikes and any future bikes will be painted pink as I expand the Emperor's Children to an Apocalypse Sized Biker Force of Doom! 12 6 man bike squads and some token troops choices anyone? ouch!

c) The Red, I'm glad so many of you like it, Mad Larkin UK - I did actually apply a red ink wash and it did very little to the overall colour, so I painted back over it to take off the shine, which actually detracted. 3vilX - this is where it all comes to opinion - I think that the latest version of the "Codex" Word Bearers scheme looks too pinkish, I always pictured them with a darker red to contrast with the bright, freshly spilled blood red of the World Eaters, but that's just me.

e) AmKhaibitu - I'm just curious about your opinion on my attempts at silver trim without the metallics, am I in anyway pulling it off successfully? I'm not quite sure.

Thanks a lot for the comments folks I'll have quite an update on the way for you within the hour, but first to upload a buttload of photos to Photobucket!

EDIT: post 200....
    Last edited by MaliGn; 22-11-2007 at 01:58.

Commander

As Promised that update, right, I've finished the second model, apart from the one thing you are all going to yell at me, i know his foot doesn't meet the floor, but I got the pins in the wrong place so I'll just have to put something in the hole to hide the gap, suggestions anyone?

Here goes with the photos.

Front:

Model's Left:

Back:

Model's Right:

The third marine is to follow due to Image post restrictions, but hell who thinks a log won't be image heavy?

Commander

Model Three:

Front:

Model's Left:

Back:

Model's Right:

I may even post some WIP shots of the fourth but that doesn't strike me as particularly interesting since in essence he's just another Chaos Space Marine not yet holding a Bolter.

Oh and can anyone give me any feedback on the bolters themselves? I'm aiming to go for that ultra modern blacked out weaponry we see toay rather than the traditional super-shiny boltgun, any opinions as to it's validity as an idea? any comments on wether I have achieved that? any suggestions for how I could do it better?

The dark guns stand out against the brighter red and white and i think it makes them look unfinished to be honest.
    I would maybe try and add alittle more detail, even if its just in shades of grey and what not.

besides that looking great
    99% of armies are Alpha Legion.
    They are just so well disguised you dont realise it.
    There is a 99% chance your army is Alpha Legion.
    You just dont realise it either

Commander

An update, please not that this post is also in the M,P & T general discussion but is presented here for completeness sake, I have also finished the first five, and updated their boltguns to include some small detailing, pictures will follow within the week.

Presented Here for your viewing pleasure some work in progress shots of my Dark Apostle. I shall show you some unpainted versions first then move on to the current and fairly initial stage of painting, any comments and constructive critiscisms will be appreciated as will any unconditional praise.

The Dark Apsotle is based off of the Huron Blackheat model, but I'm sure you'll see no resemblance.

here goes.

Front Pic, unpainted mostly assembled.

Front Pic, initial painting.

Model's Left Pic, same painting stage.

Back Pic, ditto.

that's all for this post next post will include some close ups of the head and book.

Commander

Second Set:
    Model's Right Pic, let's assume all the current batch are at the same level of painting eh?

Helmet Close up.

Book Close Up.

Brother Sergeant

Very Impressive. I hope my guys can end up half as well as that.
    I won't be playing games for at least a year while I'm in Iraq so I erased my scores

Hell, my first instinct was to say keep him just as the drybrushed white on black. That looks good. Looking forward to seeing some more red on him.

The Dark apostle is a very nice conversion

Nice word bearers, keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by L192837465 View Post
    i've gotta say that that happens to be CROTCHSWORD, SLAYER OF WORLDS!

If you want a better obsidian effect for your bases you just need to a) use less paint and b) when you drybrush make sure all of your strokes are going in the same loosely diagonal direction, this creates a nice and simple "marblized" effect (in my experience).

Also: I like the grey trim, it has a nice rough stone look to it, plus props for non-metallic bolters!

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Meticulous View Post
    Hell, my first instinct was to say keep him just as the drybrushed white on black. That looks good. Looking forward to seeing some more red on him.
    I'm toying with the idea of just keeping his shoulder pads in Red in a manner representative of his former position as a Chaplain. Although I'm still not quite sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher, the Emperor View Post
    If you want a better obsidian effect for your bases you just need to a) use less paint and b) when you drybrush make sure all of your strokes are going in the same loosely diagonal direction, this creates a nice and simple "marblized" effect (in my experience).

Also: I like the grey trim, it has a nice rough stone look to it, plus props for non-metallic bolters!
    Thanks for the tip, I think that this combined with some bigger rocks/bits of slate etc will eventually get me what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrg View Post
    Very Impressive. I hope my guys can end up half as well as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khorghan View Post
    The Dark apostle is a very nice conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.oetk3r View Post
    Nice word bearers, keep up the good work.

THanks guys, you make me feel warm and fuzzy in the morning

Commander

I told you I'd done the other test figures so here we go.

Model 4:

Front:

Model's Left:

Back:

Model's Right:
    Last edited by MaliGn; 30-12-2007 at 17:18.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast