Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Burgundian Ordonnance

Burgundian Ordonnance

Since I don't have enough projects going at once, I'm starting to paint some late medievals for Warhammer Ancient Battles (Armies of Chivalry). Although I was having difficulties making a choice, I've decided to start off with a Burgundian Ordonnance army and eventually have enough figures to mix & match it into a WotR English as well as possibly putting together a Swiss army to match against the BurgOrd. I guess the BurgOrd will be nice because I get to paint a little of everything.

As far as figures, here's what I'm in possession of so far, coded red for bare metal or primed, yellow for WIP, and green for finished:

2 Gendarmes
    17 Gendarmes
    7 Coustilliers/Currors
    10 Coustilliers/Currors
    10 Handgunners
    11 Handgunners
    27 Billmen/Halberdiers
    20 Men at Arms (mostly two handed weapons)
    30 Pike
    25 Pike
    25 Pike
    65 Archers
    5 Archers
    12 Crossbow
    5 Crossbow
    Cannon + 3 Artillery Crew
    Cannon
    Cannon
    Ribaldquin
    Ribaldquin
    20 Artillery Crew

+ A few odds & ends

Figures are mainly a mix of Front Rank, Grenadier (now Mirliton) and Crusader with a few other odd figures (Foundry, Citadel, Old Glory) mixed in.

Purchases to be made:

Since I've decided to go with the BurgOrd I'll probably want to have a bunch of pikemen rather than the billmen/halberdiers I've already got. Still deciding on the manufacture(s) to go with. The Italian light horse I've got are Old Glory figures and are both smaller than the rest of the cav, and a little more rough looking, so I I'd really like to replace them. Also need more crossbowmen (and fewer handgunners...) Possibly more coustilliers.
    Last edited by ZeroTwentythree; 29-03-2010 at 17:43.
    +++ +++ +++
    Commission Work: Possible opening for a LARGE commission project

http://zerotwentythree.blogspot.com/ +++ Marienburg vs. The Undeadish (Warseer PLog)

((currently dead Warseer PLogs Marienburg (Empire) Army +++ WWI Aerial Gaming +++ Age of Caesar +++ Terraplog! ))

Re: Burgundian Ordonnance

So here's the start Bold Chuck's army...

18 Dismounted men-at-arms. (A mix of Front Rank and Grenadier figures.)

Cannon with three crew. (Crew are Front Rank. I've had the cannon too long to remember who made it. Maybe Rafm?)

5 Coustilliers. (Front Rank.)
    +++ +++ +++

http://zerotwentythree.blogspot.com/ +++ Marienburg vs. The Undeadish (Warseer PLog)

((currently dead Warseer PLogs Marienburg (Empire) Army +++ WWI Aerial Gaming +++ Age of Caesar +++ Terraplog! ))

10 handgunners. (Grenadier) These were painted previously but I'll use them until I get some more painted.
    +++ +++ +++

Oho, a least and army for WAB. And even an army for the expension armies of the chivalery. You are my hero. I'm to painting an army for this time, but just an Italian Condotierro army. And I so like your painting. Just wonderfull, really well done. Only one question, is 5 X-bowmen not a little to little? A unit below 5 figures can't really.
    Please finish this log, please.
    Look their, a bird.:confused:

:chrome:

I only have 5 crossbow right now but I will buy at least 5 more. The 5 I have already are Mirliton miniatures and I am trying to find someplace that sells them in the US so the unit will match.

I like the Italian Condottieri army as well. Do you have a painting log?
    +++ +++ +++

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTwentythree View Post

I like the Italian Condottieri army as well. Do you have a painting log?
    No, and the figures aren't that well painted (the ones that are done). And the most of my figures are from Wargames Foundry with some Old Glory mixed in.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTwentythree View Post
    I only have 5 crossbow right now but I will buy at least 5 more. The 5 I have already are Mirliton miniatures and I am trying to find someplace that sells them in the US so the unit will match.
    Have you by any chance considered checking out Mirliton USA:

http://theminiaturespage.com/man/mirlitonusa/

As for the pikemen, I have got a bunch of the Crusader ones (they had a discount on some of the medievals earlier this year) that I am thinking of using for the purpose once I will have time to start working on my own Burgundian ordonnance.
    Who is Griefbringer? Read his poem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenyu
    Since World of Warcraft players manage to get themselves killed due to exhaustion, why should Griefbringer not manage to get himself killed with a regiment of table top miniatures. YouŽd be a pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by Griefbringer View Post
    Have you by any chance considered checking out Mirliton USA:

http://theminiaturespage.com/man/mirlitonusa/

As for the pikemen, I have got a bunch of the Crusader ones (they had a discount on some of the medievals earlier this year) that I am thinking of using for the purpose once I will have time to start working on my own Burgundian ordonnance.

I was just recently referred to Little Wars, who as I understand it, now carries Mirliton stock in the US.

The Crusader figures are really great. A little leaner and more realistically proportioned than either the Front Rank or Grenadier (which are closer in style), but they mix in with them pretty well. I just wish the range was a little bigger - though I will probably just keep mixing manufacturers for variety.

As far as the pike, Crusader & Front Rank both do beautiful pikemen, but they're all "standing in place" with their pike upright. I'm hoping to get enough - maybe Foundry & Mirliton - with their pikes at an angle, like they are charging forward (but not totally horizontal so they get in the way of gaming). I think I just like the idea of a more dynamic looking unit.

At least that's the plan.
    +++ +++ +++

Chapter Master

As for the Crusader range, there has been some mentions from the owner that the late medieval range might get enlargened with command groups or something, but I have no idea if or when those ideas will be realised. Point of warning about the cavalrymen though - I have the command group, and while the models are lovely they are pretty much giants in height compared to the regular footmen.

For the pikemen, I am slowly working on putting together a 15th century Swiss army using the wonderful Foundry models, and while the lowered pikes give them a lovely aggressive stance they get a bit tricky when ranking up the models - perhaps it would have been better to use round washers for basing them instead of rectangular bases. Therefore, I am happy to have my Burgundians with less aggressive stances, especially as they are not so dependent on the aggressive tactics with all the firepower around.

Since World of Warcraft players manage to get themselves killed due to exhaustion, why should Griefbringer not manage to get himself killed with a regiment of table top miniatures. YouŽd be a pioneer.

What a few people have suggested for pikes is to mount them on the appropriate sized round metal washers, then make a magnetic movement tray, so that when you line them up in ranks and files, you can rotate them to accommodate their pikes.

Here's a pic of one example:

http://www.lochagos.com/gallery/mac/epirote_army.html

The Crusader cav are giants compared to just about everyone but GW:

Still nice figures. I'll probably make one unit of Crusader gendarmes and one unit of Front Rank gendarmes.

In fact, now I'm all worked up about them, I was planning on finishing my crossbow tonight and starting on some bowmen, but maybe I will prep & start some of the gendarmes instead... regardless, more pics to come in the next day or two.
    +++ +++ +++

Great looking army!

Just a note on Foundry, they are saying they may have to raise their prices again due to the price of metal still rising.

Well they are much bigger. But remember that not all the horses are as big as a men. You have some smallers breeds to. And not every man is as big as an other. But indeed deferent sises of horses in a unit aren't that nice.
    And maybe for pikemen, you could use the figures from Ring of Rules from Zvezda. They are plastic, but cheap and rather nice. And you can make very easy pike's out of them.

Chapter Master

Those Ring of Rule figures are indeed quite 15th century in style, and they make a cavalry kit too. Haven't really managed to get myself into buying them, though.

As for the Crusader cavalry, I am still wondering what to do with my command group - I was originally going to use them as command for Grenadier knights (which have relatively small horses), but they are way too huge. I guess I will need to get some more of the Crusader cavalry at some point so I can use them for something else - still needing a command for those knights, though (perhaps the Mirliton historical range could work, they have some nice 15th century Italian cavalry).

BTW: remember that if you are going for the proper ordonnance proportions you will need lots of archers in the end - 3/8 of the combatants in the official organisation were supposed to be archers!

I've only seen the Grenadier cavalry in photos, and wasn't impressed. I've heard about the Zvesda figures, and seen photos and they look impressive but once again, have not seen them in person.

As far as Ordonnance proportions, I'm going to fudge that a bit. I do have a pile of archers to include, but I'm not certain I'll field 3/8 as far as a figure-to-figure ratio. I'll have many archer units, but they will be smaller.

On to the progress photos:

Musician and standard bearer (minus the actual standard for now.) (Front Rank)

The first 5 crossbowmen. (Grenadier/Mirliton)

I started working on some pavise markers to put in front of the crossbowmen if I should decide to equip them thus. Still not finished with the painting details, but you can see the general shape and design. They're just cut from plastic card.

Similar to the pavise markers, I've also started on some archers' stakes.
    +++ +++ +++

(( WIP shots removed to save space/time/bandwith, see photos further down... ))
    Last edited by ZeroTwentythree; 04-12-2007 at 14:16.
    +++ +++ +++

Makes me want to work again on my own figures. They are just looking wonderfull. Much better then the armies I have seen around here. And maybe an idea for those pavise and stakes. You could maybe make a two movement tray for them? One with and one without.

Chapter Master

Very nice looking pavises, but they should probably be placed a bit more densely! Also, if you want something fancier, there are probably some manufacturers making metal pavises.

A couple of WIP shots of the Gendarms + command I'm working on...

((removed WIP photos -- see finished figures a few enties down))
    Last edited by ZeroTwentythree; 28-11-2007 at 13:34.
    +++ +++ +++

Looking good, like real metal fans(get the joke).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast