Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Napoleonic Scotish Highlander IG project

Napoleonic Scotish Highlander IG project

Hi,
    This project came about after reading the Sharpe novels and wanting to start building a new and fully converted army at the same time. At first I'd thought of doing a 40k Imperial Guard army based around the 95th Rifles, but then I thought that would more as not lead me to a static style force which is not what I wanted. So then I read about the Highland Regiments and the Connaught Rangers who were used about Wellington as his assault troops. I kinda liked the idea of the 'Fighting Ladies' and so the 74th Scotia Highland Imperial Guard Regiment was born.
    This is what I've produced so far. The idea is to make a 'kit' of them much like the catachan and cadian sprues but in resin so that I can mix and match the parts to make what I need:
    Arms...

Torsos...

odd bits and legs (plus a few bits I'm scrapping)

and a half finished model:

Hope you like them.
    Dijit80

Re: Napoleonic Scotish Highlander IG project

this sounds brilliant really like the them but i think you should change the name to a clan because Scotland sounds not 40kish enough to me but its your army and you money in this project so go with water you think is good.Also did i mention this is the best green stuff work i have seen in a long time good luck!
    Albert: During the...
    Del: If you say "During the war..." once more, I'm gonna pour this cup of tea right over your head!
    Albert: I wasn't gonna say "During the war..."!
    Del: Well that's alright then.
    Albert: Bloody little know-it-all.
    Del: Alright, sorry.
    Albert: Thank you. During the 1939-1945 conflict with Germany...

-only fools and horses "time on our hands"

Excellent idea dijit80! The Sharpe series rocks!

My friend sculpted a kilt onto a Tanith model, more 'irregualr style' than the regiments proper, both his and your's look great. Are you using Empire firearms as the las-muskets? Don't forget a hulking great claymore for the officers!

Regarding the name you can just stick a 'Mac' in front of any word to make it suitable! (Disclaimer: No offense meant, I'm a Mac myself!)
    The Sabre and Dice: Kron's Wargaming Blog
    Imperial Guard Drop Troops, Crimson Fists, Lord of the Rings, Legends of the Old West and more.

Thanks. I'd named the regiment as coming from 'Scotia', as I felt this gave the hint but without being too 'un-40kish'. I've used Empire Handgunner's bodies and muskets and converted them to lasguns. I tried with using hasslefree weaponry, but they just looked too high-tech. I'm currently modeling running legs for an officer with a claymore, its not going to be easy to do. This is an image of a 78th Highland regiment soldier:

which I've used to base my design on. I'm going to be basing my tanks on the MKIV tanks from WWI to give a bit more of an archaic feel, and with time I'll do Sharpe and Harper and the rifles as Schæffer and co, but thats a while into the future right now.

edit: if anyones interested I've made a blog to follow their progress and some of the other ideas behind them:
    http://highland74th.blogspot.com/
    and more pics can be found here:
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...7336&members=1
    Last edited by dijit80; 18-12-2007 at 13:37.

sorry its late were i am didn't read properly also would you consider making extra copies of the kit because i would be interested in buying/trading on the =][= need scotish storm troopers because high inquisitor Macgregor is getting lonely.
    Albert: During the...
    Del: If you say "During the war..." once more, I'm gonna pour this cup of tea right over your head!
    Albert: I wasn't gonna say "During the war..."!
    Del: Well that's alright then.
    Albert: Bloody little know-it-all.
    Del: Alright, sorry.
    Albert: Thank you. During the 1939-1945 conflict with Germany...

-only fools and horses "time on our hands"

Sure, I've sent a PM on it.

This looks very interesting. I like the look you're going for! I'm subscribed.
    When in deadly danger
    When beset by doubt
    Run in little circles
    Wave your arms and shout

Commander

as a guard collector and a scot that works with kilts everyday i have to say yer a mad man.

Im damn impressed lovely models.

Chapter Master The Laughing God's Avatar

Impressive model.

Can't wait to see how they look together. They look sort of like vostroyans. Only because of the big, puffy, hats.

Well here's an update:
    Riflemen Macleod and Stewart practice their marksmanship under the eye of Sergeant Gordon:

Here we have special weapons troopers MacColla, MacCann, and Kennedy:

Completed:
    6 sets of lasgun arms, 2 laspistol arms, 3 special weapon arms (plasma, melta, and flamer), an arm throwing a grenade, an arm pointing, 3 left arms to hold the lasguns, a drum holding arm, 6 bodies (3 with left arms scuplted on), 5 legs, 3 heads finished
    Incomplete:
    2 heads almost finished, 3 heads just started 2 heads not started, some claymore waving arms, perhaps another pair of legs, anything else I can think of. Plus I think I need to alter the cuffs on some of the arms - they look too puffy.

Wow! Awesome work!

Just one (possibly redundant/daft) question: Have you pleated the rear of the kilts? It may be a trick of the light, or my tired eyes, but the greenstuff appears smooth?

Anyway, for having the daring and perseverance to actually undertake this, I salute you!

Bye, Modhail
    Games Workshop's cunning plans: Now with 50% more turnip!

[Modhail's Meanderings, a blog]

No I've not pleated it, I figured that that would be pushing my modelling skilss a bit too far just now, these are some of my first pieces, I've only reallt done filling and the altering hair, clothing etc on existing models before so this is my first shot at a complete model.

They're looking damn nice!

Just a thought though, is the Meltagun really suited to being fired from the shoulder? I always thought it looked better from the hip given its a short ranged assault weapon.

you're probablt right. Though i hope it'll help them hit more often I guess looking at the majority of melta gunners they are from the hip, GW does like having things fire from the hip though. I'll maybe have a play around with it and see how easy it'd be to do differently.

Very nice looking guys, very nice indeed.

This is shaping up to be one charactful and grand army indeed.
    The Relentless, Indomitable, Unwavering march of the Death Guard.

http://counttheseven.blogspot.com/

Awesome work! Really captures both the Scottish and the 40k feels.

R.

My advice friend, is get casting, since a whole regiment greenstuffed like this is a very demanding project , trust me, iv attempted one before and failed miserably.
    Stagler Out

Quote Originally Posted by dijit80 View Post
    No I've not pleated it, I figured that that would be pushing my modelling skilss a bit too far just now, these are some of my first pieces, I've only reallt done filling and the altering hair, clothing etc on existing models before so this is my first shot at a complete model.
    The trick to getting a pleated effect is actually rather simple, just hard to explain in words. Seen how neat your GS-ing is on the rest of the models, I don't think you'd be pushing your skills at all...
    All you'd need is another very thin layer of GS over the already existing kilt, and a knife with a straight edge. Basically you just slightly push the blade in straight, and then flip it to the side.
    I'm a bit short on time at the moment, I'll see If I can do a pictorial tomorrow, if you'd like?

Bye, Modhail
    Games Workshop's cunning plans: Now with 50% more turnip!

[Modhail's Meanderings, a blog]

that'd be great with a tutorial, thanks. Getting the pleats would add more depth to the mins and make them more interesting.
    I'm intending to cast these theres no way I can cope with the idea of scuplting 100odd of them just knowing how much time these few examples have taken me. I'm trying to negiotiate with a guy from the phoenix club, but not getting a quick response from him right now, so might have to do it myself, abit nervous at the thought of that. Got a bit of input from guys who've got some experience with it, its just the air bubbles to worry about.

These look very amazing. Where did you get the lasguns from? Did you make them? If so, how?

Edit:

Found the answer, missed it on my first read-through. But perhaps a description of your conversion process?
    Last edited by Ishmael; 22-12-2007 at 20:13.
    "DUTY AND HONOUR!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast