Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: StuG/Russ Conversion Guide! (pic heavy) [CLOSED]

StuG/Russ Conversion Guide! (pic heavy) [CLOSED]

As promised, here's the tutorial on how I turned my Russ into a StuG-style Thunderer... If you want to make one yourself in exactly the same way, you will need a Chimera box as well as some bits from a Russ (namely, the upper body plate, the sponsons, and the parts for the hull lascannon), and as many track guards as you can get your hands on. Of course, feel free to alter it and use different parts- but be sure to post the results in the tread-heads thread, okay?

I've included some details on how my Panzer was built too, and for the record it uses just about all the same parts, only substitute the sponson bits for the whole turret assembly.

By the way, be sure to read the whole thing before starting, just in case you miss something important!

Okay, to start off, grab the wheel sprue. You'll need 6 of the small ones for the road wheels, as well as both the medium and large ones. Now, on the larger wheels you'll need to trim down the pin inside so that it is flat against the rim. The reason for this is that it helps it sit securely on the inner track panels.

Speaking of those panels, you should trim them down now so that there is a bit more space between them and the floor, and cut away the three raised bits marked below.

Last edited by Kasrkin; 21-03-2006 at 19:15.
    "Let's mosey..."
    -Cloud Strife

Re: StuG/Russ Conversion Guide! (pic heavy)

The wheels fit as follows for the Panzer:

But, if you're making the StuG like I'm about too, then you should swap the large and medium wheels around. Now, the road wheels go on as normal, but you'll find that the pin inside the large wheel fits into the whole in the middle of those raised rings where the small wheels usually go. The drive wheel at the front goes into one of these (regardless of the size). The back wheel however won't fit in without hitting the rear road wheel, so in the case of the Panzer cut the pin away and glue on the wheel so that the little ring is in contact next to the inside of the wheel (in the image above, the rear wheel is pushed up and as far to the right as it will go). The StuG is the same, but does not need the pin cutting away.

Also shown above are the tracks needed and where they go (same for both tanks moving one of the small links at the front wheel to the back wheel in the case of the StuG), but don't stick them on just yet!

Now, start sticking the panels onto the lower body of the Chimea. Note how the hull had been lengthened as though it's going to be a Chimera:

Highlighted in red is where the Russ upper hull will go. Be sure to cut the panel flat at these points to ensure a good fit.

The hull of the Russ itself needs trimming down at the sides until it is the same width as a Chimera hull. Also, the back of it needs to be trimmed; aim to get a piece like in the picture below. At this stage it is worth grabbing the top of the Chimera turret and cutting it down to you have just the top- a ring where the top hatch goes. Stick this under the Russ hull where the turret would be so that when you put the hatch on instead of the turret it all fits (I didn't do this until it became apparent that I'd have to fill in part of the turret hole in some way. After all, I was making the model up as I went! That's why you can't see anything like this until much later, after the gun had been put on).

The Russ hull should come in line with the Chimera track panel at the top, as you can see below. Once all the parts fit, go ahead and stick it together!

Last edited by Kasrkin; 22-03-2006 at 10:41.
    "Let's mosey..."
    -Cloud Strife

And once it's done, pop on the lower tracks!

Now the tricky bit- the return wheels. It's best to leave the upper tracks to this stage as you can use them to get the wheels in the same spot on either side. You will find that they will need to be spaced out slightly to fit, but don't worry as the mud guards will cover up any defects. If you like, do like me and bend the tracks to add a bit of sag.

Once you have something you like, glue it together.

Now, the mud guards! Take one of the larger ones and cut off one side of it.

Now this glues onto the tank side just above the tracks- this is your control to get them in line with each other. Next, take one of the medium length guards and cut it to a length so that it protrudes just above the front wheel.

Then cut it so that it fits neatly onto the inner track panel, and mirror it before you glue it on.

"Let's mosey..."
    -Cloud Strife

Now you just need to work your way down the hull on both sides in the same way until you like the result.

Now you need to build up the front of the body. The bonnet is the rear plate from a Basilisk, as you can see below. Don't worry about the hole where the Chimera's hull weapon would go- just fill it with some plasticard.

Once it is fixed in place (you will need to remove some of the plastic on the track panels just like when you put the Russ hull on), you need to take the two covers for the hull Russ lascannon and fix them where they would normall go- be aware that some needs to be cut away to make them fit! You can see these being put in above.

The reason for the lascannon covers being placed is to give a recess where the gun would go. It's almost the opposite of the Russ kit- this will be left open, whilst either side will be filled in (if that makes any sense!).

Now, the viewport. You get two of the following parts in the Chimera box (they hold the lasguns to the hull)- take one and cut it as shown by the red lines.

"Let's mosey..."
    -Cloud Strife

This fits here!

Next, take the top of a Russ sponson and cut it till it fits over the top of the drivers compartment. Do it stage by stage- keep cutting bit by bit until it fits:

The gap on the other side of the gun is filled in the same way, but with the pieces obviously cut to different sizes.

And now, the gun! This is made from a Russ hull lascannon, a small wheel (you should have about 6 left over from the Chimera wheel sprue), and a dozer blade (I used an old Guard one because I had one lying around, but a new one will do with a bit of cutting). First, cut the lascannon down as shown, including at the red line.

"Let's mosey..."
    -Cloud Strife

Then, cut the dozer blade. If you are using the same type as me, then you'll find that two sections wide is the perfect size:

Trim down the detail in the middle of the plate, and stick it together!

Now, pop in the gun. Try to angle it slightly upwards. By the way, notice how the hatch ring has been glued on- yep, it was here that I realised that the turret hole was too big for the cupola to sit in without any help...

"Let's mosey..."
    -Cloud Strife

The tank is almost done! Add on any extra bits you like now. It is a good idea to cover up the huge driver's window with the Chimera viewport (be ready to trim it down a bit), else controling the thing in battle will be a tad suicidal, eh?

And now... Paint it!

Well I hope that makes things clear. Any questions, feel free to send me a message or something!
    "Let's mosey..."
    -Cloud Strife

Gorgeous. If it wasn't for the fact I'm a tight bastich I would emulate you closely in the hope it would get me friends.

I might be able to stretch to just one...

Chapter Master Brush your teeth's Avatar

can i ask how much it cost to get the sprues. its a lovely tank and i hope you dont mind that your about to see them in everyones army.

EDIT:the real question is is that all the leman russ bits needed?
    http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...053&orignav=10
    Last edited by Brush your teeth; 21-03-2006 at 20:07.

lol, naw, I don't mind so long that no one pretends that they invented it.

Looks like all the parts are on that sprue except for one; well two really, the tops of the sponson guns. You could easily substitute these parts for plasticard though, so yeah you could get away with using just Frame B. Go for that, a Chimera box, and a couple of extra mud guards and you should be set.
    "Let's mosey..."
    -Cloud Strife

OMG...that tank is simply amazing, both the painting and the modelling!!! Check your pm now!!!
    Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Space ship design project

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Wow, this is awesome ,i may have to "borrow" it for a guard army i want to start soon.

P.s that you duncan?
    Edit:just saw another post by you about bretonnian generals shouting duels...hmmm familiar
    Last edited by Inquisitor lorr; 21-03-2006 at 21:24.
    Available for commision,PM me if your interested

Wow! That's fantastic!

For a second I seriously thought that was a WW2 tank kit you had stuck a heavy stubber on.

Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor lorr
    Wow, this is awesome ,i may have to "borrow" it for a guard army i want to start soon.

P.s that you duncan?
    Edit:just saw another post by you about bretonnian generals shouting duels...hmmm familiar
    lol, yeah, it's me. Is the duel thing really that much of a give away?
    "Let's mosey..."
    -Cloud Strife

very cool conversion!

it looks like a totally differnt tank, even though its fundamentally the same kit.
    Anvil Industry - Original Miniatures and unique conversion parts for your warriors.

Project Diary - Sculpting, Modelling and Painting

Sethra 1st Urban Strike Force
    Completed
    Ithican 14th "Silver Shields"
    Work in Progress

I love you and want to have your babies.
    A Loving God is Still a Master

This would have gone well with my Panzergrenedier Guard before I stripped all the paint on 'em and started to re-do what little of the army I had painted. Really, really nice conversion there. Do you make it count as having a fixed weapon or do you just play it as a regular Russ?

thats a thunderer? the cannons a little too small though.

great idea though. thanks!

and i would like to know, whats the benefit between thunderer's and lemon russ demolishers? points?

You, sir, are a fiend. But a very, very awesome one. This is a very generous how-to: thank you!

How did you come up with this idea? Were you just sitting there one day idly putting some kits together and *shabam*?
    On the back of my bike at 180km/h you can be screaming your silly head off and all Im gonna hear is the wind and my own barking demons.

Chaplain

You are the undisputed master of Jiggery Pokery with GW bitz, might have to try this sometime.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast