Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer, Guns and Dinosaurs: A Catachan Log

Beer, Guns and Dinosaurs: A Catachan Log

Just got back from Australia after a semester abroad and I've had this army on the brain. While I was there I drew up some sketches for converted units.

First was a Catachan Storm Trooper - these guys wear full gear and respirators so they can pass through razorthorns and toxic spores even a veteran Catachan warrior couldn't get through unscathed. Instead of dropping from Valkyries like normal deepstriking troops they dig ambush pits and leap from trees, allowing them to appear anywhere.

Second is a Squat Enginseer. When he's not brewing extra stout for the regiment, he smacks around uncooperative machines with his giant hammer and dwarven mechanical know-wotz. Still debating having the servo arm carry a smaller hammer (dwarfs love hammers) or a stein of beer.

Counts-as Seninel t-rex. Catachan carrying a heavy weapon riding a tyrannosaur.

So far I've been mostly taking stock of all the models I ordered and bought and traded for which arrived at my home while I was away. I did get a bit of hobby work done:

Painting is still very much in progress. The crouching guy will have body paint everywhere, representing his squad being forward sentries with cameleoline. The other three, though it's hard to tell here, all have extra pouches and backpacks and scruffy beards. This makes them Catachan veterans, who spend most of their time out in the jungle. The Space Marine will count as Iron Hand Straken and be painted in my brother's Chapter scheme. Lost and left for dead on the planet after fighting off some Tyranids, his broken body was found by the Catachan and nursed back to health. Until contact can be re-established with his Chapter, he makes a fine leader of men and has been gifted with a ridiculously huge shotgun. Also note the Rough Rider and early Storm Trooper.

I should be making a lot of progress on this army in the next few weeks and hope people are interested in seeing how it goes.

Re: Beer, Guns and Dinosaurs: A Catachan Log

Looks like this could be a log to follow. The catachan on a t-rex reminds me of the cartoon Dino Riders (which is a good thing).

Cheers

Emilio

P.S Hope you had a blast in Australia!
    Last edited by Emilio101; 22-06-2009 at 15:52.

Pekel, both your Eldar and Tyranid logs were inspired pieces of work so I am subscribing to this one now. I was attracted by the title of the project, very original indeed hehe!

Ah yes, I foresee some Pig Iron heads being used, that is never a bad thing. Loving the T Rex concept too, just make sure you have fun now!
    Imperial and Ork starships, random Imperial troops and now the developing zombie plague...
    Building the Orkmada- BFG Orks
    World War Z
    Quote Originally Posted by GomezAddams
    Right I'm going to head off, got cowgirls with massive racks to paint - its a hard life

Saw your stuff on EoW, I like your concept good luck

Veteran Sergeant

I really like rexy, looks like my cat-titan in my WIP log. Keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio101 View Post
    The catachan on a t-rex reminds me of the cartoon Dino Riders (which is a good thing).
    Yeah, I've been hearing that a lot. I want to get more a Jurassic Park sort of feel than Dino Riders with this army, though. Save that for the Exodites.

Ah yes, I foresee some Pig Iron heads being used, that is never a bad thing.
    Good call! Stay tuned...

rjderouin, good to see you here. I've still got some of your guard models saved in my inspiration folder and I'm tempted to see if a similar plucky off-world nancy leader wouldn't work for my army as well. Would be fun to convert a pretentious feather-plumed guy, at least.

Alright, here's the first test models pretty much completed. May neaten them up a bit as their squads are finished. Three normal veterans and one with Forward Sentries:

Hope you like! I'll be working like a fiend tonight so be back soon.

Dude, awsome idea. You have to get some raptors in there though. And maybe a "Fred Flintstone" or two.

I assembled a bunch of things which all need minor greenstuff work - I tend to greenstuff in large batches. Rough Riders:

The crouching Storm Trooper will be examining a footprint. I think the plasma guns came out alright - would have been a real bitch to use actual ones, since the Scout hands are sculpted onto their bolters and I'd have to find replacements. Shoulders will be sculpted over with leaves. I stabbed my thumb while smoothing the chests - maybe my third blood drawn in about 4 years of doing this sort of thing.

Gave a new head to the heavy bolter guy. He is tiny and looks like a dwarf. Didn't know what to do with the lascannon so I cut the supports down to fit on the base and made an operator.

I hope rules lawyers come whine about heavy weapon bases in my topic.

those are clearly 40mm bases. don't mar such a promising worklog with such ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSlowPoke View Post
    those are clearly 40mm bases. don't mar such a promising worklog with such ineptitude.

What MasterSlowPoke was rather unhelpfully trying to say was that they need to be mounted on the larger 60mm bases and have a loader as well to be legal with the new codex. Other than that everything is looking good.

looking good, good paint jobs on the four guys. nice concept. the plasma guns look VERY cool. looking forwards to more.

Dude, these rough riders are great. How you paint it?

Oh the irony

This army is looking really promising. The paint job is clean and the guy with the green camo paint looks bad ass. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing those Stormies completed. Keep up the good work.
    Tanelorn Wargames Club meets every Sunday in Leytonstone, East London. We play Blood Bowl, 40k, Warhammer, Malifaux, Warmachine and more. Feel free to PM me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fold View Post
    Oh the irony
    Actually i only mentioned it incase you went to a store, as it would no doubt bring hassle which i doubt you want Pekel. I personally wouldnt complain about you using said bases in a match. Especially as i felt it a bit awkward of GW to make every one rip their models off their old bases and redo them. But hey ho thats a topic for another thread.

Looking really good, glad to see some of the concept art sketches coming to fruition

What MasterSlowPoke was rather unhelpfully trying to say was that they need to be mounted on the larger 60mm bases and have a loader as well to be legal with the new codex. Other than that everything is looking good.
    Don't mind Slowpoke, he's just bitter I didn't give him those plasma guns he wanted! I know the official stance on these models but my brother and I pretty much only play each other and agreed this looks better and is better for placing the models gamewise. Each weapon will have a loader model next to it, to be removed after the first wound is taken. I eventually plan on having the 40mm bases magnetically fit into a larger 60mm base with loader just in case, for some unfathomable reason, I'm forced into playing someone who has a problem with the current system. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Dude, these rough riders are great. How you paint it?
    Here's the Rough Rider concept a bit further along:

And HERE'S a hint as to how they will be painted.

Further Storm Trooper work - almost done.

Shotgun veterans to accompany Harker. The backpack is from an Ork boy and the grot on top was removed while the bullets have been trimmed to resemble shotgun shells (I'll eventually get a picture of the back). These vets see action and nothing is more embarrassing than dying because you ran out of shells.

Two more crouching guys to be painted in full camo for the forward sentries veteran squad. One is so stealthy he got right behind a songbird without frightening it while the other is using his downtime in the bushes to take a swig from his flask (converted from the old missile launcher model).

Going to paint a bit now. More coming soon.

Banned
    in the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

Consider your idea for rough riders stolen. but on a less plagaristic note it all looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekel View Post
    Don't mind Slowpoke, he's just bitter I didn't give him those plasma guns he wanted! I know the official stance on these models but my brother and I pretty much only play each other and agreed this looks better and is better for placing the models gamewise. Each weapon will have a loader model next to it, to be removed after the first wound is taken. I eventually plan on having the 40mm bases magnetically fit into a larger 60mm base with loader just in case, for some unfathomable reason, I'm forced into playing someone who has a problem with the current system. Thanks for the heads-up though.
    No problem sir. Looking foward to seeing the rough riders painted.

I have that Dilophosaur!! Haha awesome!! The Vet sneaking behind a songbird is cool, I can just picture that. It would be cool if you modelled a pair of boots sticking out from under a bush or something to represent a silently dispatched enemy but maybe that wouldn't fit for this unit, seeing as they're meant to be sentries. Oh well.

The converted crests on the Cold Ones is clever, it moves away from the 'oh my Guardsmen are riding Cold Ones, how original am I' vibe. Good work

The dude taking a swig from his flask is also very cool- I was wondering when the beer would start coming into it on this plog :P Tho it's probably water, before anyone comments on that.
    Imperial and Ork starships, random Imperial troops and now the developing zombie plague...
    Building the Orkmada- BFG Orks
    World War Z
    Quote Originally Posted by GomezAddams
    Right I'm going to head off, got cowgirls with massive racks to paint - its a hard life

The converted crests on the Cold Ones is clever, it moves away from the 'oh my Guardsmen are riding Cold Ones, how original am I' vibe.
    Thanks, that was one of the main points of doing it - I wanted to make sure it was a genuinely original idea, at least in part, while still using the awesome Cold Ones.

The dude taking a swig from his flask is also very cool- I was wondering when the beer would start coming into it on this plog :P Tho it's probably water, before anyone comments on that.
    Yep, that's water in the tiny flask. His big canteen is full of whiskey! I think the beer part will become more clear when I start introducing the sergeants.

Today I woke up to my brother holding a good-size box. Inside was a Leman Russ, Sentinel, some Cadians and lots of random bitz from a saintly member of another forum. I eagerly grabbed a razor and some clippers and got to work. Here is the result of a significant amount of effort:

Check out those pimp weathering skills. Needs a few more bitz but it's pretty much there. Not shown is all the filing, cutting, clipping, gluing and rummaging behind getting the model to this state. Also, there are magnets in the turrets. Why? Here's two hints:

The Hellhound will also be repainted for this army. In between working on the Russ I attended to the Sentinel. A leg was broken off, both the feet were off, there was no driver and the only top was an armored one with no roof. Came out like this:

The balance on the pose is a bit off so I still want to fix it. But it's in one piece and has a driver (Cadian legs and heavy bolter gunner torso). The rollcage I'm unsure about - it's a cage included with the fantasy giant. I think with some trimming and fitting it will look good and serve as a decent frame for some camo netting. The buzzsaw has no rules this edition but is a Catachan mainstay. It's made from a servo-arm snipped off a Techmarine backpack and an Ork chain-choppa.

I also finished greenstuffing the Rough Riders and Storm Troopers, so paint should be coming soon on them. Tomorrow morning I leave to research turtles somewhere and I don't know how that's going to affect productivity/updates. I'll be in a cabin and tonight I need to pack my hobby stuff.

More soon...

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast