Well, it seems that my work on the 54mm Dark Angel has inspired some interest, as I've now been commissioned to do a 28mm pre-Heresy Angron of the World Eaters.
I should hasten to add that I feel that I can only take on a maximum of two projects at any one time until I've settled into things. This whole "building and painting models professionally" thing is new to me.
Anyway, the concept sketches:
Beginning from John Blanche's illustration of Angron in the Visions books, I offered this opening salvo to the client:
This was really for me to get a feel for the character himself and to judge the client's preferences. From this, the client was able to say that he would like to see Angron in Terminator armour, but not on the "Wayne England" approach. After some discussion, we agreed that he wanted the model to be in motion, with an axe (but without the silly faces) and that he wanted to see some World Eaters iconography on the armour. At the same time he wanted to see a clear link in the imagery to Angron's gladiator past (including the neuroenhancements).
So I did this:
I kept the moulded breastplate from the original sketch to reference the gladiatorial style, but also kept those hi-tech power cables under his arms, because I think they counterpoint the moulded breastplate nicely.
The terminator shoulder pads are from the early patterns seen in the Visions series and I kept the spikey bits above his head (a foreshadowing of the future?). He's got WE iconography on his left knee and right shoulder pad and I've faded out the axe, because that's getting separate attention.
You can also see, in the top right hand corner, my rough line of approach: slicing apart a standard Terminator to add bulk and length in all the major limbs and in the torso.
The client loved this illustration, but wanted the model to be in its final act of swinging his chainaxe into the enemy, so I did one last sketch of Angron himself:
Terminator armour is bulky, unwieldy stuff and it was hard to capture the sense of motion without pushing the boundaries of how the armour could feasibly articulate. I figured that, to build up a good head of speed, the wearer would pretty much have to push off sideways, like a sprinter on a track. Once I've got the model, I'll have a better look to see how far I can push the limits of the articulation, but for now I think this works.
The client has approved it and I can move on to finishing my designs for the axe.