Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bahir's Terraforming Projects

Bahir's Terraforming Projects

I really like making Terrain. I mean I really like making terrain. After a long day nothing gets my mind of the troubles of the day like taking junk and making something with it. And so I just thought I'd share some of my stuff that I'm making. Enjoy, and please feel free to comment. I'm always willing to learn from others.

I got this first idea from Yogurt. My wife bought this huge case of the stuff and the containers were just begging to be made into something. So I present:

Vaporator Towers - Towers that suck moisture out of the air and stores it in tanks Usually used for water collecting but could be used for anything in the atmosphere that can be collected and condensed.

Parts List (so far):
    Yogurt container
    3 plastic lids (gator aid, milk and water)
    plastic straws
    paper card
    3mm dolls eyes (for rivets)
    Foam Core
    "Granny Grating"

This shows the initial stage of adding the vaporator unit and the storage tank.

I'm also constructing a raised walkway so the technicians can service the vaporator units. I cut the foam core 2" wide and glued 1/4" strips of card to the edges to make a raised edge. Then I cut the granny grating to fit. When placed on the platform the grating is flush with the card strips.

In this larger shot, if you look closely, you can see the strips of card added to the side of the "tanks" along with the doll eyes "rivets". This is a rough mock up of what it may look like when I'm done (I tend to change things as I go...) To the left of the cutting mat you can see another project I'm working on. My first attempt at sprue rubble. But more on that later.

Re: Bahir's Terraforming Projects

Looks like you are havin fun makin stuff

Nice lizie by the way.

good but it seems a little plain it needs something sticking out of the side.
    TASTE MY LIGHTING

Hi Bahir, Nice build !

I always have problems getting paint on plastic like yogurt pots, sometimes putting on three or four base coats !!

Got any tips ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steam_Giant View Post
    Hi Bahir, Nice build !

I always have problems getting paint on plastic like yogurt pots, sometimes putting on three or four base coats !!

Got any tips ?
    I got one... I've found a quick spray of the old matt varnish worked wonders for a subsequent coat of black or white spray paint.
    My New desert board; an instructional log Here
    A few models on coolminiornot.com Here

Quote Originally Posted by bielmic View Post
    i'm sorry... you have this game confused with Hello Kitty's Island Adventure 40,000.
    Shas O Rly?

Brother Sergeant Grumbeard Starbreaker's Avatar

Emperors teeth never thougt about that I will try it out.

I think you will have the most trouble with the straws, they are a real female dog to paint. The paint realy dous not stick to it! So I am afraid I will have to advice the more expensive plasticard.

Overall it looks realy good. Make sure you make a lot and I mean A LOT of tubing, it will realy look swell.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for all the great comments.

@N810: Thanks, thats Bubba. I keep him handy to help with scale

@ Desert Thunder: I agree. I've got a few things in mind. The first idea may be hitting the log soon.

@ Steam Giant: In the past I've used cheap Wal-Mart Craft paint and Krylon spray primer. For this project I plan on using the spray primer (gray will be the primary colors.

I'm going to try and make this a bit modular so to that end I don't want to attach the pieces to a base or the walk way to the legs, in case I want to add a longer or shorter walk way. So I added some magnets to help hold the walkway to its bases.

This shot shows the magnets on the tower.

This shows the magnets under the walkway.

Finally, I'm putting together a pipe end cap thingy (like that technical term?). There is a plate bolted over the end of the pipe that is being held on by 4 bolts. If you look closely you can make out the 4 grey "bolts" attached to one of the blue disks.

Also shown are the tools I use to make rivets, plates, disks, etc. The one with the black tips is a leather working tool and the other is a small punch bought at a local craft store. The blue plastic is an old floppy disk.

Brother Sergeant Grumbeard Starbreaker's Avatar

Simple, cheap and plenty, a stroke of brilliance.

If you need to see some more pipe examples just look at Das Boot.

Ahhh it's going to be Modular...

BRILLIANT

Small update:

I'm adding some bits of plastic and card to the vaporators to give them a bit more character. On one side will be an access hatch that can be opened to allow service/cleaning to the interior of the vaporator and on the other side is a short pipe that can be opened to access the collected fluid.

Here are the card (110 lb) pieces cut out and ready to be assembled. Some of the pieces were from the water tank that Easy E created and posted in his Paper Tank Log. The second and third picture show Bubba standing by the access hatch and the release valve. Since taking the picture I've added four more rivets to the the "corners" of the circle. I think it looks a lot better that way. But over all I'm not real satisfied with the way the release valve looks, but I think it will look better once it's painted.

Yea the valve doesn't look right. I'd be great to see these painted.
    Quote Originally Posted by max the dog View Post
    The Scholar knows his stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by imperial_scholar View Post
    In respect to rules; 90% of the time RAW leads to stupidity

||| We Interrupt Your Irregularly Scheduled Terraforming Projects to Bring You this Not So Important Mini-Project Up Date |||

I've been traveling like crazy with my job and I've got this cold/flu thing going on so I haven't felt like doing much of anything. But there is something rather simple that I've done with Sprues. AH Sprues! You can do 1001 things with them! For example I bring you (drum roll) Sprue Walls!

Step 1: Mark sprue at equal lengths. A cutting mat helps tremendously with this.
    Step 2: Cut the Sprues with some type of cutters.
    Step 3: Use a sharp hobby knife to tidy up any strange bits. Save any odd bits for other projects. Never throw anything way! Well, unless your wife makes you... (Warning: Cut way from fingers, use a sharp knife, don't pick your nose with it, yadda, yadda, yadda.)

Step 4: Line up your little bricks (again a cutting mat can help with this) and glue them together using liquid cement for models (Warning: if you have a lot of bricks your sticking together I highly recommend you do it in a well ventilated area.)

Step 5:After the glue is dry paint the color of your choice. Red, brown, what ever. I painted mine gray because I didn't have any red paint on hand. It could probably stand a good wash to bring out some depth.
    Step 6: Have Bubba the Lizard Guy run out and bash the Firedragon Exarch on the noggin with his trusty war club.

I don't plan on basing these particular walls so I can have the freedom to set them up anyway I want.

||| We Now Return You to Your Irregularly Scheduled Terraforming Projects |||

Well thats one use for a lot of sprue

I do indeed like the sprue idea. Myself, I took a bunch of ceramic clay, and made molds, then forced the clay down into the molds, and let it dry, then fired it. I guess I did technically make bricks, just really small ones. But this way is definitely easier.
    Proud Commander of the 7th Cadian Armored, Infantry and Cavalry forces garrisoned on the system of Perisia.
    "Carnifexes are not like cockroaches... At least, where I live, I've never seen a cockroach deny armor saves."
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread...66#post2465866

good job its original

I've applied the first base coat to a few of the towers and to the first walkway. The cool (or uncool) thing about priming is I can see where I went a little too nuts with the glue. Over all I'm ok with the way the vaporator towers are looking, but they definitely need something sticking out of the side. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to stick out the side, so any suggestions would be welcome.

As for the paint scheme I'm thinking about gray for the towers with maybe some metal & rust dry brushing. The bands with the big rivets black with heavy dry brushing of metal and some rust. The top parts are still being worked out.

Here is a shot of the three I've primed and a close up.

Finally a shot of the walkway parts primed.

after you dry brush you might want to do a wash of some rusty/greasy color for aging

My son (9 years old) and I spent some time in the garage slapping some paint on the towers.

Everything was spray painted with Krylon gray primer, then the towers were highlighted with a lighter gray. Black was added to the appropriate places and some dry brushing in Boltgun was begun. We got some black paint in places it shouldn't have gone, but we'll toss that up to "weathering effects".

On to the pictures:
    Here is a general WIP shot to sort of give you the scope of the project.

Here is a close up of the catwalk and of one of the vaporators. The globs of glue are actually rust and weather effects... yeah, thats it, they were intentional.

Another close up of the catwalk (lizard walk?): If you look closely you can make out the danger lines underneath the grating.

Its starting to shape up nicely, Great job Bahir ! Looks like its almost ready for a bloody skirmish. Im definatley inspired to improve on my cardboard Necromunda terrain. :chrome:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast