Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain Brown's Ork Painting Log (Over 100+ Pictures)

Smile Captain Brown's Ork Painting Log (Over 100+ Pictures)

Well there is a sound coming from the Eastern Fringe…it reverberates across the warp…a chant that grows louder with each passing week…
    “Here we go! Here we go! Here we go!”

So long time readers of my other Painting Logs (Elysians, Tau, Eldar) will know I put lots of pictures in them, guides to conversions as well as seek ideas and suggestions from other contributors.

So here is the start of my next project log, an army of Space Orks.

I have had or shared an Ork army since 2nd Edition (actually I had about 18 Orks in Rogue Trader but we don’t talk about them much…they tended to get borrowed by a friend who used them to stomp my Imperial Guard). It has waxed and waned over that time growing in size to be as large as 3000 points and then shrinking as parts were traded or sold off.

With the release of the previous codex my army almost disappeared completely, but a small kernel remained and they grew into a Kult of Speed Army that terrorized the local gaming groups for a few years before retiring. Now with the release of the new codex that urge to Waaagh has returned and it is time to pull out my Orks and update them for the current list.

The first thing to identify is if any of my forces are ‘obsolete’ due to their being removed or changed…then to find where they fit in the new list. GW rarely eliminates a unit entirely; they may change it or modify it somewhat. The items in my previous list that had fallen into this ‘not legal in the new list’ was my mixed unit of Nobz, Mega-Nobz, Warboss and Gretchin; my Burnas in the ‘Ard Boyz; and my Tank Bustas.

So this painting log will go through the transformation of my Ork army from the old codex to the new. Here are some of my existing units, and I figure now is as good a time as any to take a look at their basic paint schemes and maybe spruce them up a little.

So here are some older photos of some of my existing units (long time members of the WPSG will recognize one or two of them).

Truk Mob without Truk.

Smaller Boyz Mob.

Bike Mob.

Old Warboss.

You will notice a load of Gorka Morka Orks, I acquired about 30 of them with the demise of my gaming groups Gorka Morka campaign...

Image limit reached, more to follow.

The long painting war continues...

CB

Army in March 2008

Army in April 2017
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 04-08-2017 at 00:07. Reason: Fixing URLs as Photobucket broke them again...

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Presently selling fully painted OOP WHFB Orcs, OOPS GW Books, Wave Serpent - Interested in buying a Citadel Realm of Battle Board Carrying Bag

Re: Captain Brown's Ork Painting Log

OK,

Here is a look at my Looted Vehicle, the rules have changed slightly, now there is a Generic profile and I can no longer have my looted Basilisk, but no matter, there are still options to get one with a big gun.

This is what the model looked like when I received it in a trade.

You can also see some Nobz and Mad Doc Grotsnick…lots and lots of superglue, paint and lots of plastic cement on the tank.

The post was not very helpful either and the package had broken open in transit so some of the bits were missing as well…but that is what we have bits boxes for.

Here is the looted vehicle today...after being broken up, bathed in Simple Green, rebuilt and lots of gubbins added...

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 03-08-2017 at 22:28.

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Presently selling fully painted OOP WHFB Orcs, OOPS GW Books, Wave Serpent - Interested in buying a Citadel Realm of Battle Board Carrying Bag

Great, another orky blog

Looks good so far, can`t wait to see more! Have you made any thoughts on army composition? Will you still run a KoS list, shooty or a balanced approach?

R
    I'm on Facebook and I've got a blog as bigbossredskullz.

Team Anarchy, a norwegian gaming community.

More of the Looted Vehcile and the some of the Nobz in the picture above.

Yes, the Ork crew is from the original Ork plastic box, I have incorporated several into my army.

Here are some of my Nobz looking for a new home.

Three of these Nobz are also from the pictures in my previous post, they have also been striped, superglue removed, a few replacement arms located, and then painted. The forth is a Gorka Morka Nobz I acquired from a member of may gaming group and re-painted.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 03-08-2017 at 22:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Skullz View Post
    Great, another orky blog

Looks good so far, can`t wait to see more! Have you made any thoughts on army composition? Will you still run a KoS list, shooty or a balanced approach?

R
    Thanks Red Skullz, you are the first comment. I think I will go for more balanced as most players did not want to face my Kult of Speed Army once it got up to speed.

So back to my cunning plan...

Mega Nobz had been taken out of the mixed armoured Nobz Mob and made their own unit…since I only had two Mega Nobz I needed one more to flesh out a Mob of three (four if I added Ghazgull). An easy purchase…since the Mega Nobz seems to the one of the only items in the Ork range that is a reasonable price here in Canada.

My Nobz Mob had been decimated with the departure of the Mega Nobz, so another purchase was needed, since all my Nobz had come via trades I had no Waaagh Banner. Another purchase from Helldane (WarSeer Member), saving 45% what it would cost to buy here and I will have a mob of nine Ork Nobz and I can add the Painboyz and give them the ‘Feel no Pain’ bonus…take that you Necron players…now I can stand up to the Immortals for at least an extra round…

New Nobz and Waaagh Banner.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 03-08-2017 at 22:31.

I keep an eye out after ork blogs since they don`t get as much love as a lot of the other logs even if the quality of work is often very high

I agree on the balanced approach. I`ve logged about a dozen matches with the new codex and the balanced approach works really well against everyone I`ve met so far.

Now, more pics please

R
    I'm on Facebook and I've got a blog as bigbossredskullz.

Team Anarchy, a norwegian gaming community.

Nice Orks! I like the mixture of GorkaMorka and the more recent range. The Ork shouting out of the Looted Wagon made me laugh. Gnarly stuff.
    http://circusofpaint.wordpress.com

Participating in the Tale of Age of Sigmar 2015 - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LokkoRex View Post
    ...seems like everything Mister Feral do turns 24-carat hobby gold.

Thanks Red Skullz and Mr Feral,

OK, some more pictures, first the boring unpainted ones...

My newest unpainted Ork Mega Nobz:

And the Warboss:

Yes, that is his back banner in two parts...before pinning.

Image limit reached, more painted ones to follow.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 03-08-2017 at 22:32.

So one of the first units that needed retooling was not a unit but the three converted Burnas I had made out of Sentinel Flamers and other vehicle accessories. Since they could now only be obtained as a unit and I only had three I figured I might try something different.

The new Lootas seemed like a really neat unit, led by a Mek and armed with the fearsome Deff-Guns…since I had two Meks (from Gorka Morka) already, I just added the 3 Burnas and I had a unit…however they did not seem quite so…Loota like. So I built my own out of bits and an extra Ork I had never been happy with.

Loota conversion one:

Now with new bits painted:

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 03-08-2017 at 22:34.

Now the unit of Lootas including two Meks. My Burna conversions still look like Burnas, but I will probably do some more tweaking to change their appearance. Or I can used them as a Burna unit.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 03-08-2017 at 22:35.

Looking v nice

Aiding the scum of the (40K) universe... STILL!

Looking good Phil.... looks like I better get the Special Ork Service onto the Sci-fi blogs

PhilB
    :chrome:

Chapter Master Brush your teeth's Avatar

these guys are looking really good, i love the classic models being used - takes me back to when i first started wargaming. My first purchase was the old plastic orks infact.

I'll be keeping an eye on this

BYT

Thanks guys, a quick update on the Warboss. Here he is as of right now (WIP).

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 03-08-2017 at 22:36.

Banned

I love your painting style Captain Brown, its very neat, and nice. Keep up the good work !

quick question what brown do you use on the bases! (or how do you do the bases)

OH YAS! So subscribed, nice work so far Mr B, those burnas are great.

Pumping out yet another army, are we? You, Captain Brown, are a *******' machine.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malorne View Post
    quick question what brown do you use on the bases! (or how do you do the bases)
    I use Scorched Earth, followed by Bestial Brown, followed by Snakebite Leather and a final light highlight of Bleached Bone.

Thanks for the comments and Luke you have a pretty nice little Ork force going yourself.

So another unit that needed to change was my old Tank Busta Mob, previously it was a squad of ten with three Rokkits. Now the new codex has Tank Bustas all armed with Rokkits or Rokkit Hammers...so since my first Rokkit armed Orks were conversions made out of Gorka Morka Shoota Boyz and some Imperial Guard Hunter-Killer missiles:

I think I will use the 3 of them as the 'yoofs' who are learning the tank hunting trade and have not earned their tank trophies yet. I figured with the Tank Bustas box set I would then have a unit of eight. The remaining Ork boyz would then be rolled into one of my existing Mobs.

So a purchase off of WarSeer member heldane and I obtained the Tank Busta box for about 45% less than it is here in Canada.

Everyone loves Bombsquigs!

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 03-08-2017 at 22:38.

Some pretty early WIP shots of the Tank Bustas.

No the Rokkits are not going to be Bubonic Brown, just use that as a base off of a Black undercoat to make the Red rich and not cloudy and dull.

Here is the last of those Nobz you saw on the first page, his body is mostly done and I now have a proper Nobz Banner for him.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 03-08-2017 at 22:42.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast