Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Arduhn carves out an Empire in Averland

Arduhn carves out an Empire in Averland

Well, as you may be able to figure out by the title, I am making up an army of Averland themed Empire. If anyone doesn't know about Averland, it's a province in the south east of the empire, an area dominated by mountains and valleys. Averland is a very rich province due to trade coming through the mountains, and it is famous for breeding some of the best warhorses in the empire.

What it means in terms of my army is that I will be using lots of cavalry, and my uniforms will be as extravagant as possible, with feathers, plumes, and ruffles. One challange of this is that the new state troops have really toned down the slash-puff look, but fortunately, they include lots of extra feathers in the various plastic sets.

Another fortunate thing is that I was able to trade weapon arms with a new empire player who decided to do a middenheim themed force, and picked up the middenheim defenders box, which includes the old state troops. Since he wants to do grim northmen, who would probably not be as puffy, it was a perfect trade for both of us. The weapons on the old figures are smaller, but I don't mind that.

I pretty much have everything I need, so it's all down to building it and painting it all. Here is what I have so far:

For characters I have two of the plastic sets, I built them already into a foot bsb, a foot hero with sword and pistol, a horse character with sword and shield, and a horse character with lance, but I am using him as a knight champion. I also picked up an old metal character, the elector count of averland himself, Marius Leitdorf. I traded his horse for one of the plastic hero ones, and did a slight conversion. Pictures to come soon.

I also have a warrior priest with great hammer, and 5 wizards, 4 plastic and 1 metal. I plan to do the wizards up in 4 different lores (the metal one is fire). That way I can use an appropriate model for whichever lore I use. I won't use more than 2 at once in basic games though.

I also picked up a few of the direct services only models, the hero with gory blade, the mace hero, and the warrior priest blessing the handgun. That's it for characters.

For core I have 50 state troops soldiers. So far I have done up 20 swordsmen with command, 10 halberdiers for detachment, and I plan to do a unit of 22 spearmen using a few older minis. This way I can swap out the command to the spearmen to make a 25 man unit, then I have the option of using 12 of the swordsmen as a detachment.

I also have 20 missile troops, these will be handguns, and I will make one command group. I might also do 10 regular handguns, one command, and the rest (7) as crossbows. This way I can add 3 militia models armed with crossbows and it increases my possibilities for detachments and such.

For knights I have 15, with one full command. I will usually take them in either 2 or three units.

For special I have two artillery pieces that I haven't put together yet. I doubt I will use them much, but we will see. I will do one cannon and one mortar when I make them.

My main special units will be my pistoliers. I have 15 of them, which I plan to use in units of 2 or three, but nothing bigger than a 6 man unit I think. I have made 2 units of 5 so far with champions with repeater pistols, and musicians. I also have a unit of greatswords, but I need to get some more because I only have 8 right now. I will get 5 more so I can use them, but that's about it.

For rare I have a helblaster and a unit of 20 flagellants. I don't really plan to use either very much, but if I use the flagellants, it will be in conjunction with a warrior priest, so they will be core.

I will go get some pictures together and post them soon, but what do you guys think? Anything I should add? I want to have a competative army, but above all I want cool things to paint to make the army look impressive and colourful (read gaudy). I also have a war alter, but I don't want to play that way really, I want to keep the sigmarite stuff to a minimum.

Characters:
    Captain or General on barded steed (old Marius Leitdorf model) - 50 or 80 + items
    Warrior Priest giving blessing - N/A (counter)
    Warrior Priest with great weapon - 90 + items
    Captain on foot with sword and shield - 50 + items
    Captain on foot with great weapon (hammer) and pistol - 50 + items
    Captain on foot with battle standard - 75 + items
    New Captain on foot with sword and shield - 50 + items
    Captain on foot with great weapon (mace) - 50 + items
    Marius Leitdorf - 280
    Warrior Priest with two weapons - 90 + items
    Core:
    20 Swordsmen with full command - 145
    28 Spearmen with full command - 140
    13 Handgunners with full command (repeater handgun on Marksman) - 139
    10 Crossbowmen - 80
    10 Knights with full command - 270 (Blazing sun)
    10 Knights with full command - 270 (My own order/pistolier heads)
    34 Free Company - 150
    12 Huntsmen with marksman - 105
    Special:
    5 Pistoliers with champion (repeater pistol) and musician - 114
    5 Pistoliers with champion (repeater pistol) and musician - 114
    5 pistoliers - 90
    20 Greatswords with full command - 180
    Mortar - 75
    Great Cannon - 100
    Great Cannon - 100 or Mortar - 75
    Rare:
    Hellblaster Volley Gun - 110
    25 Flagellants - 250

10 Flagellants - 100

Still need to purchase
    Still need to assemble
    Assembled
    Primed or partially painted
    Painted
    Last edited by Arduhn; 12-02-2011 at 22:17. Reason: added colour-coded list

Re: Arduhn carves out an Empire in Averland

Well I'm no expert on empire army tactics but you seem to have a nice mix of heros and units planned out.

Looking forward to pictures...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamfrit The Narroq View Post
    Damn you Ghod!

Okay, here are some pictures:

this is what I was staring down last night before a frenzy of assembling that lasted till 5 am.

and a close up of one of the few units I had glued together

and a close up of the first guy that will be painted, I plan to paint him tomorrow

and finally, some of the fruits of my labour. I got more done, but I will need to take more pictures. I also took some time off to work more on this:

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread...=129844&page=2
    Last edited by Arduhn; 16-10-2010 at 02:49.

On a side note, does anyone know where I might be able to get my hands on some of the old greatsword models, the averland warband from mordheim, and similar old, puffy empire minis? I just really want to get some of those and paint them up.

They're quite rare... but check out, warhammer-empire.com forums... they have a trade section.

It'll take some trawling through ebay and other trade sites... but when you get them... oh man, the old school minis are delightful to have.

sj

Thanks, I will check that site out. Ya, it's funny, they have some of the old greatswords in the new book, so I would expect them to be available for mail order. As for the averlanders, it's getting hard to even find pictures of them on the net. I hope they don't get squatted on.

Edit: good call, never thought about historical minis from other ranges before, thanks mrtn.

Hmm, this is definately going to be an interesting project. I'm looking forward to seeing the hero with gory blade painted..

Cheers

CC
    "Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!"

A mind without purpose will walk in dark places.
    Men and women of the Imperial Guard, you and what you do are the pride of humanity!
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98532
    FOR THE GREATER GOOD!
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86761
    Innocence proves nothing
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128274

Foundry do some very nice renaissance mini's which are identical to the style of the original puffy sleeved plastics. Most should be easy enough to convert weapons-wise to what you need.

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/colle...EN/3/index.asp

Only thing you might find is theyre a tad shorter and thinner than most WHF mini's.

Cheers,

Dante

Just a quick update with some pics of what I did last night. Now back to painting.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement ciaphus, and thanks for the tips on getting puffy models CMDante. I don't mind a bit of a scale difference.

The flesh still needs a bit of work, and the yellow was sort of just a test, I will probably paint black into the folds, or maybe bone/white. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Arduhn; 16-10-2010 at 02:50.

That looks great! I would say go with black, but it also depends on what the other color is your gonna use.

-Sunny
    What can I say, I'm a happy guy

I tried both out and I much prefer the bone, my other colour will be black, so it will be quartered black and yellow. I still need to figure out what colours for the feathers. I think I might do them black and white like on the gw painted one. If I do this guy will not be too colourful, but I think it will be more suitable for the model.

Another thing I need to figure out is what colour to paint the hat. This is where I will probably add colour. Probably blue, purple, or green. Then I need to figure out what shade. I will probably leave the hat and feathers for last.
    Last edited by Arduhn; 22-03-2008 at 20:19.

I was browsing ebay this evening and I found some averlanders from mordheim. They were mis-labeled as Ostenlanders, but they are exactly what I want. The auction is still almost 2 days from ending, so it's not a done deal, but I am willing to pay up to maybe $50 I guess, so we'll see.

I also got a bit of painting done

As you can see, I went with bone for the insides of the folds, and I used a bit of chestnut ink to seperate the colours. I like how it looks a lot. There is still much to be done, I have to highlight the metal, paint the boots, paint the hat and feathers, paint the shield (I plan to do a colour overtop of the metal but with some metal showing through, scratches), do the base, paint the orc head...and spray varnish him.
    Last edited by Arduhn; 16-10-2010 at 02:51. Reason: pics added

Just a couple of photos with the painting progressing a bit further. I had some obligations in the past few days so I couldn't finish him yet. Also, sadly I did not win the averlanders, I forgot to check right before the end of the auction and someon lurked it. Oh well. I did get the mace wielding champion in the mail, and I think he will go in my greatsword unit, or he can be a hero. I think the next thing I paint will be the swordsmen and the battle standard.
    Last edited by Arduhn; 16-10-2010 at 02:54.

Just a quick update: I checked out the gw website and read some of the articles on the knightly orders. I think I found one to suit my tastes and my army. http://uk.games-workshop.com/empire/knights-chapters/3/

I will do 10 of these guys, and totally go to town on the conversions. I have some old metal minis of Beorg Bearstruck and the bearmen of urslo, so I will probably use their banner for something.

Is anyone still looking at this? Comments and criticism are welcome. If no one is interested anymore then I guess I don't need to post updates.

I'm enjoying your log, but don't feel like you have to post on my behalf.
    Great job on the yellow and the face.

Thanks. I do want to post, but I don't want to post for posting's sake if you know what I mean. It's good to know I am not talking to an empty room.

We're just too intimidated to say anything.
    Sometimes you don't get a comment and it seems like you're alone in the universe, these things happen, but they blow over quickly.

However, I personally rarely post unless someone has posted a finished mini, or there's some critisism/feedback I think could help.

Ya, that makes sense, thanks mrtn, I will try to get more done between updates.

That's looking wicked I'm going to start empire soon myself.

Where are you getting those pics Looks like a newsagent??

Catchya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirster90 View Post
    PRO=Pretty Revolting, overall.
    watch the progress of 'to40kp' space marine log!
    Awesome painting log

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast