Page 1 of 157 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Warseer Anime fan group

Thumbs up Warseer Anime fan group

Zetsubou shita! Warseer's lack of an anime supporters group has left me in despair!
    And as such, it is time to start one!
    If you are anything like me (a massive otaku, to be honest!) you will chew your way through an awesome anime, only to have no-one to discuss it with, and feel bitter about it after!

Still, be it that you are an avid anime otaku, or just wanting to get into the whole anime scene, or even a particular genre, feel free to discuss!

So, let the discussion begin, but beforehand, a few rules-
    Spoiler tags, please!- No-one wants to get halfway through a series, only to be told that character X dies at the end, or that X is their father.

It's PG13 forum guys!- Please do not go off on a discussion about anything like Urotsukidoji... For a start, it is an 18, and I imagine their are very few out there with a thing for tentacles. This also rules out the discussion of any hentai, or ecchi.

People's opinions- Please try to respect peoples opinions, as each is entitled to their own. Criticising one for their taste in anime, is a bit geeky as well, and so what if they are a 'Tokyo Mew Mew' fan, right?... Right?

There we go... potential problems sorted!

Now, to kick things off, why not begin by telling us all what you are watching at the minute, and what you have enjoyed recently? should whip up some discussion, and get the proverbial discussion ball rolling! I shall wait for others to slap something down, so as not to hog the thread too much, but I may stick down a list of what we have watched, and are able to discuss, if people think that would be appropriate, especially to any newcomers.

Anyway, all the best!
    NB ^^

EDIT: Gah... starting post and I already forget something! This groups is also welcome to discuss any AMVs that they feel are suitable, and by suitable, I mean awesome, as well as manga (although not too much... that would detract from the 'comic book and manga' thread!

And hell... Nihonophiles are welcome! I know I am one! XD
    Last edited by nurgle_boy; 24-03-2008 at 16:25.
    Currently painting- Super Dungeon Explore!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavfluris
    Eating penguins is a serious felony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylass
    OMGlol123!!@34!!

Re: Warseer Anime fan group

I am currently watching pumpkin scissors and welcome to the NHK both excellent series with plenty of potential

Macross Frontier has potential.

Quote Originally Posted by nurgle_boy View Post
    Criticising one for their taste in anime, is a bit geeky as well, and so what if they are a 'Tokyo Mew Mew' fan, right?... Right?
    Frankly, compared to some of the other Anime out there, Tokyo Mew Mew fans should be welcomed with open arms.

So, I've watched FLCL (Once, I guess I need to watch it a few more times in order to properly understand the Innuendo and, heck, the crazy storyline itself!), Ah! My Goddess (Don't knock it, it's decent enough to watch, and frankly, it's the first romance I've liked since the movie The Princess Bride [not a anime, but still good]) and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. (I have some personal issues with the ending, to say the least. Perhaps I'll voice them if anyone else wants to hear. In spoiler tags, of course.)

And I've watched Saikano. Ye be warned, slight spoilers of the nature of Saikano ahead:

Why, oh why, did I choose to watch Saikano? I feel horrid now. I feel like how I felt after watching
    Ugh. Spoilers end. This will make me sound like an ass-hat, but I'll say this: If I want to hear about people dying for pointless reasons, I'll watch News 24.

So, that's what anime I've watched, what can you guys suggest for me to watch next? I'd prefer anime that weren't subject to fads and merchandising-runs which unnecessarily prolonged the series with filler arcs/episodes, like Dragon Ball Z/GT, Naruto etc.

I'm trying to find somewhere to watch all those Gundam series. I've generally been interested in the idea of "realistic" giant robots since I saw the episodes back when Cartoon Network started showing anime in its nightly schedule.

Edit: Forgot to add that I've watched Elfen Lied, which is pretty damn good, too. I've also watched both of the original Ghost in the Shell movies, which I enjoyed to a point where all the philosophical conversation was lost on me.

Edit, Again: Oh, and more recently Blue Drop (Alien invasion, plus lesbian school girls) and Karin. (Romance story, featuring... um... Vampires.)
    Last edited by Reabe; 24-03-2008 at 20:24.
    Celestial Lions ProjectGorkamorka Ork Mob Project
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerok View Post
    I fell like I know half of you by now. Example: Reabe is nuts, hates the OK and W.A.R..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stupidor View Post
    And Reabe squeezes in his mandatory rant before the postcount breaks double digits! He's getting quicker on the draw; one of these days, someone will make an Ogre Kingdoms thread and, upon posting, find out Reabe somehow replied before they even posted!

Currently watching Bleach, don't really have time for more... but read the manga as well... and I can't WAIT for it all to move up to where the Manga is now... although, the latest episode of the manga did nothing but put me in a complete state of "WTF! NEED!"

Now, I have been enjoying Samurai Champloo, FMA and a few others as well, Berserk is very nice, but I have been trapped in a looping ZTV Animé Madness, looping one season time and time again, that was annoying.

However, I now have something very interesting coming up. The 19th of April, I will be cosplaying. Costume is on it's way (don't have the sewing machine or the time this time I'm afraid, so had to buy it) and I'm currently working on the sword for it all. I will be back here as it all nears the release-date so to speak, because I'll be asking you guys about my haircolour. However, I cannot reveal my cosplay identity yet since there are two girls in my class who have sworn to kill me should I do that specific cosplay. That means that I've got to keep it a secret. Everything is fixed except for the haircolour (got a punkrock friend to help me do the gravity-defying hair).

I know it's too early to change the topic completely, but has anyone else had any cosplay experience? This is gonna be me first, what to think of except staying in character and having a great time together with the friends?
    Fleets of steampunk airships need playtesting; Above the Seven Seas andSteamflight Games - the, now official, website of Above the Seven Seas
    Cross of Roses ANOTHER system? You ask... yes, I am that mad, thisone will be skirmish-sized

The Dark Fae, my Warriors of Chaos army with a different theme than normal. Updated 28/2 09

Quote Originally Posted by Reabe View Post
    *snip*
    So, I've watched FLCL (Once, I guess I need to watch it a few more times in order to properly understand the Innuendo and, heck, the crazy storyline itself!)
    *snip*
    So, that's what anime I've watched, what can you guys suggest for me to watch next? I'd prefer anime that weren't subject to fads and merchandising-runs which unnecessarily prolonged the series with filler arcs/episodes, like Dragon Ball Z/GT, Naruto etc.
    *snip*
    Well, As you mentioned FLCL, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Might I suggest something else by the glorious studio that is Gainax-
    Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

It is quite similar to FLCL due to its seemingly obscure, and nonsense plotline, with a deep-ish undertone to it. I must say, that episode 12, has to be one of my favourite episodes of anything, evar, with some glorious one-liners, which make no sense whatsoever, including the brilliant 'Oh no! It is twister, and it brought Jaws!'.

Or hell, I recommend this to anyone who enjoyed FLCL!

Another nice one to check out, which seems to be a standard series to watch for any anime lover, is Elfen Lied. Lovely plotline, Beautiful animation, good characters with emotion, and it made me cry a little at the end...

Also, consider reading the manga alongside the episodes, as it explains some more that the anime missed, and can clear up the ending a little.

As for your cosplay, neknoh, I have no experience, although you must let us know how it went. I'd like to try it one day ('cause dressing up is fun!)

OMGlol123!!@34!!

Lurking in the dark... in the void between worlds....

I've moved this thread to its rightful place ie G&F

Wintermute
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrad
    As ever WINTERMUTE speaks the truth

Thank you Wintermute.

On another point, what am I currently watching?
    Well, I stumbled across a rather awesome series-
    Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
    I've finished season 1, and I'm onto season 2 (named Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. careful when watching them, as most anime-fansubbed hosting sites get it mixed up. I found VeohTV to be reliable enough)
    Even after watching so far in, I am thinking about rewatching it straight away, as there are so many small things to miss, namely the odd writing on the blackboard (which seem to hint to Pop culture, as well as other anime), and some of the 'flash up for a second' frames, which read oddly...

Other than that, the series has really dragged me into it. It has a nonsensical plotline, each focusing on one character, or a certain aspect of life, and you really begin to feel for said characters, and their situation, even when they are used comically. I would be intrigued to see what others thought of it, especially the animation used, which is different to a lot of what i have seen before...

I will also be rewatching FLCL ASAP, just because it has been brought to my attention again recently (and i never seem to remember episodes 3 and 4)

Anyway, thats all!

NB.

OMGlol123!!@34!!

I'm a bit of an anime newbie, only been properly trying to watch things for as couple of years now.
    I've been showen some bits and pieces by friends and on TV when Toonami was good:
    Excel Saga , Blood: Last Vampire, Vampire Hunter D, Appleseed (newest one), Read Or Die OVA, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Porco Rosso, Outlaw Star, Azumanga Daioh, Puni Puni Poemi, and Chobits.

Myself I've got round to buying and throughly enjoying Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, both gigs, and the older Hellsing anime...the new Hellsing's not out in region 2 yet.

I'm planning on seeing what I can get in Region 2 out of Evangelion, Witchblade and possibly Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, plus the reloading style in Grenadier is temping me.
    Nemo me impune lacessit
    Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

I got into anime by watching Dragonball Z, Gundam Wing and Samurai X (all English dub) on tv. I was interested in the whole scene but never got round to getting undubbed series.

A year and a half ago I bit the bullet and started taking Japanese classes. I joined a class of avid anime fans and since then I've tried catching up with their extensive anime libraries.

In the last year I've watched:
    Chobits
    Rurouni Kenshin (subtitled, not dubbed)
    Rozen Maiden
    Saikano
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Samurai Champloo
    Lucky Star (I REALLY recommend this one)
    Dokuro Chan
    Bleach

I'm currently watching Neon Genesis Evangelion and keeping up with the weekly releases of Bleach.
    So far I haven't run into an anime I disliked.

Next on my list are FLCL and Azumanga Daiyoh (thanks to the AMV thread) and I hope to be able to start either Naruto or Once Piece somewhere in the near future.
    Last edited by Arnizipal; 24-03-2008 at 21:10.
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Blast, almost forgot... how COULD I!

Two words to describe one of the best things I've seen.

Death

Note
    Fleets of steampunk airships need playtesting; Above the Seven Seas andSteamflight Games - the, now official, website of Above the Seven Seas
    Cross of Roses ANOTHER system? You ask... yes, I am that mad, thisone will be skirmish-sized

The Dark Fae, my Warriors of Chaos army with a different theme than normal. Updated 28/2 09

I got heavily into anime a few years ago. Spread the madness to anyone around me. Haven't bought any new series in ages though.

Nurgle_boy; How could you forget any FLCL episodes? I found they burned themselves into my brain. Abenobashi is also fun but Excel Saga is also great fun. I mean it parodies just about everything.

Gasaraki is a good series and one I feel many under-rate. It's one of the most straight faced giant robot series I've seen even today. Serious but not morose, though far from light-hearted.

Saikano was a very well made series but I couldn't reccommend it since it's so depressing. Elfen Lied I enjoyed but must admit it's callous in the extreme. Parts oddly reminded me of Love Hina for some strange reason.

Other notable series in I've watched include Ranma 1/2, Eva, Ghost in the shell (the lot), Vandread, Hellsing, Escaflowne, Rurouni Kenshin, S.cry.ed, Slayers TV (all three), GTO and Witch hunter Robin. I'm a complete addict at heart and am happy to watch most anime.

I'm also getting more and more hooked on manga. Recently read all of Urusei Yatsura and Ichigo 100%. Still looking for the last of 3x3 eyes. (By the way find and watch the OVA's they are classics in my opinion.)

Ah, arnizipal, Lucky Star had slipped my mind..If anything it is worth watching purely for the few minutes of live action during the credits, not to mention the BEST INTRO SONG EVAR!

As for FLCL, i guess episode 1,5, and 6 stuck with me the most ('cause giant robots with HUGE shotguns are the win). I can remember the basic plotlines, but there are always bits of 3+4 that I forget...

Arnizipal, I to would like to learn japanese (no-where in Bath where i can learn it though... and i think that Bath uni doesnt have a course...), and at the minute I can pick out the odd word in a subbed anime, and spout broken, meaningless sentences, and nearly write sayonara... Keki wa fuwa fuwa desu...
    Thats my limit

I also never finished watching Death Note due to TVlinks going dead, and lack of time shortly thereafter, and now picking it up again means watching it from the start...

Roll on next weekend!

OMGlol123!!@34!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkangeldentist View Post
    Saikano was a very well made series but I couldn't reccommend it since it's so depressing.
    Oddly enough most people I tell about the series all become very interested in a "how bad can it be" sort of way.
    I borrowed it from a friend, and then passed it on to two of my friends (one of whom is a girl who claims to cry even during regular anime).

Elfen Lied I enjoyed but must admit it's callous in the extreme.
    I was interested in the series, but then I saw a clip where a little girl apparenlty gets dismembered by a psychic attack.

Frankly, I don't think I have the stomach for the series so I've stayed well clear.

Ah, arnizipal, Lucky Star had slipped my mind..If anything it is worth watching purely for the few minutes of live action during the credits, not to mention the BEST INTRO SONG EVAR!
    If you haven't already you should watch the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya before watching Lucky Star. There's a ton of inside jokes and half the cast of Haruhi appears in Lucky Star.

Arnizipal, I to would like to learn japanese (no-where in Bath where i can learn it though... and i think that Bath uni doesnt have a course...), and at the minute I can pick out the odd word in a subbed anime, and spout broken, meaningless sentences, and nearly write sayonara... Keki wa fuwa fuwa desu...
    Thats my limit
    It's a lot of work, but very interesting.
    Progress is slow though. I'm in my second year now and I can vaguely understand what's being said in an anime without reading subtitles... -_-"

Reading and writing is going a lot better than expected. I've fully mastered hiragana and katakana and I know about 100 kanji's. Of course, half the time I read something I still don't know the word I just deciphered.

I also never finished watching Death Note due to TVlinks going dead, and lack of time shortly thereafter, and now picking it up again means watching it from the start...
    I've watched about five episodes of Death Note, but I got such a strong dislike of Light that I just gave up on the series for a while.
    The story is very good though, it's just the main character that pisses me off.

I may pick it up again one day.

I don't know if I'll ever give up on my English dubs. Even though I've seen dozens and dozens of anime and accept that the Japanese dubs are much better I still find myself prefering to listen to English. (Dyslexia doesn't help either.)

I'd like understand Japanese and be able to read it. Not sure if I'd ever be confident learning to speak it though.

One series that I think you can't watch with subs is KareKano. That series is quite mad and very fun but has so many little signs and bits of subtext you just end up with far too much writing on the screen.

Talking about this is making me want to rewatch stuff. (I can't afford to stop sleeping again.)

Seeing as there are so many series out there what genres do people like? Also what would you say are the best examples of each genre? I'll start with a few.

Straight forward sci-fi: Cowboy bebop, Last exile.

Mecha/giant robots: Neon genesis evangelion

Parody: FLCL, Excel saga.

Romantic comedy: Karekano

High school: GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)

Philsophical/Psychological: Serial experiments Lain, Boogiepop phantom

Fantasy: Vision of escaflowne, Twelve Kingdoms

Umm...There are more but I think I'm risking getting into too many sub-genres. Well I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts on the matter.

Straight forward sci-fi: Cowboy bebop, Last exile.

Mecha/giant robots: Neon genesis evangelion

Parody: FLCL, Excel saga.

Romantic comedy: Karekano

High school: GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)

Philsophical/Psychological: Serial experiments Lain, Boogiepop phantom

Fantasy: Vision of escaflowne, Twelve Kingdoms

Umm...There are more but I think I'm risking getting into too many sub-genres. Well I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts on the matter.
    Ah... I forgot last exile, despite having spent nigh on £50 on both seasons... Bloody good...

Abenobashi just HAS to be added to parody, and Elfen lied.... err... somewhere...

Theres one or two that dont fit anywhere 'sayonara zetsubou sensei' being one... its sort of high school... i guess

Azumanga daioh should be plonked into highschool as well

OMGlol123!!@34!!

Chapter Master mistformsquirrel's Avatar

*dashes into the thread, a piece of toast in mouth*

OHAYOO!!! <O_O> *trips over Nurgle_Boy and plows into a nearby wall*

<-,O> nyo~

Anyhow <^.^>m I just got back into actually watching anime recently, and have started with Solty Rei; which, while so far not brilliant, is kinda fun and an easy way to kick back without thinking too hard <@,@> (Not that I mind thinking; my favorite series to date still remains Neon Genesis Evangelion)

I'm kind of an equal-opportunity Otaku; I like series of all types really, though I favor action a bit. I also started watching Claymore; but I decided that I'd rather wait and read the manga instead of watch the series, since I was told the end is substantially different >.>

Also I have to admit a serious guilty pleasure:

Magic Knight Rayearth remains near the top of my list of favorite series >.>m Don't laugh <T_T>m!

Hehehe >,> so cool we have a place to geek out like this <,< *runs all over the thread, arms flailing!*
    I'm going to take a break from Warseer for a bit to deal with my bipolar, which is acting up ferociously lately. Please accept my apologies for any insult or offense I may have caused - though I feel my sentiment was correct, I have been overly aggressive and hostile of late; and I am sorry for that.

Hopefully I will return in better mental working order. Good luck all!

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel View Post
    *dashes into the thread, a piece of toast in mouth*

OHAYOO!!! <O_O> *trips over Nurgle_Boy and plows into a nearby wall*

<-,O> nyo~

Anyhow <^.^>m I just got back into actually watching anime recently, and have started with Solty Rei; which, while so far not brilliant, is kinda fun and an easy way to kick back without thinking too hard <@,@> (Not that I mind thinking; my favorite series to date still remains Neon Genesis Evangelion)

I'm kind of an equal-opportunity Otaku; I like series of all types really, though I favor action a bit. I also started watching Claymore; but I decided that I'd rather wait and read the manga instead of watch the series, since I was told the end is substantially different >.>

Also I have to admit a serious guilty pleasure:

Magic Knight Rayearth remains near the top of my list of favorite series >.>m Don't laugh <T_T>m!

Hehehe >,> so cool we have a place to geek out like this <,< *runs all over the thread, arms flailing!*
    Gotta say, I really enjoyed Claymore, but it's second season is scheduled for something like 2010, so it seems a bit of a waste to watch it now... A shame, as it's a brilliant season...

Now, Death note has dragged me back in (onto episode 8 now), and I REALLY ought to be sleeping now...

Damn college... I could quite easily be a hikikomori, and stay in my room all day watching anime...

Unfortunatly, education is a good thing...

OMGlol123!!@34!!

Damn college...
    College? Aren't you like 16?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    College? Aren't you like 16?
    Oh, I'm studying A levels at City of Bath College... sixth form education at college facilities... more freedom...

eh... im sure 5 hours sleep is enough.... one more episode shouldn't hurt XD

OMGlol123!!@34!!

Page 1 of 157 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast