Page 1 of 171 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle Brush Studios Commission Log .... In Space!

Battle Brush Studios Commission Log .... In Space!

Hey guys! So I finally start a Sci-Fi log too because I hope that some day, I'll have enough time to paint all the 40k stuff I have lying around. First off, this one is going to get updated much more randomly than my Fantasy Log, mainly because of the following reasons:

If anyone of you knows my Fantasy log, you'll know that I do quite a lot of commission work. Interestingly, I haven't been offered to do ANY sci-fi miniatures as commissions, it's always WHFB, Warmaster and LotR so presumably, all miniatures you'll see in here will be for personal use and joy which means that I have no set deadlines, no pressure at painting them at all (this might be one of the reasons why I still haven't painted them. ).

How wrong you are, Sigur of the past. Of course you will paint commissioned sci-fi minis! Loads of them!

Howdy, this is Sigur from the future (January 13,2011). As time goes on, thing change and so this log is becoming bigger and bigger each day that passes by. Due to the scope of this project log, I figured it would be a good idea to have an index so people wouldn't have to scan through all of these almost 70 pages to find the things they're interested in especially. Even though I'm of course happy about everyone who takes the time and browses though all of this.

INDEX

Page 1: Battle Barge Apothecarius Sigur, Valhallans test squad, Orks test minis
    Page 1-24: Space Orks
    Page 24-25: Sisters of Battle
    Page 24-29 : Imperial Guard (including Squats, Beastmen, journalists, etc.) Part 1
    Page 29-32 : Salamanders Space Marines Part 1
    Page 32-: Imperial Guard Part 2
    Page 38-41: Salamanders Part 2
    Page 40-67: Space Hulk 2009
    Page 42-43: Scouts Sergeant Telion as a Blood Angel
    Page 46: Khorne Berzerkers with Forgeworld parts
    Page 46-48: Salamanders Drop Pod
    Page 48: Report from Austrian 40k Championship 2010
    Page 50-51 : World Eaters army with demonic support Part 1
    Page 50-65: Space Wolves
    Page 54-64: Necrons C'tan "Nightbringer"
    Page 56-58: Pedro Kantor
    Page 59: Death Korps of Krieg test miniatures
    Page 59-67: World Eaters army with demonic support Part 2
    Page 64: Ultramarines Captain Sicarius Step-by-Step Painting Guide
    Page 66-: DKOK army pt.1
    Page 66: Imperial Fists Veteran test mini
    Page 67-68: Eldar Harlequins
    Page 68-72: Space Hulk Genestealer Cult (plus BA Terminators and Adeptus Mechanicus
    Page 70-71: Evil Sunz Orks part1
    Page 71- : Blood Angels army part1
    Page 72-73: Malifaux Guild Warband
    Page 74- : Second Space Wolves army
    Page 75: Painting Tutorial (Space Wolves, battle damage)

So what do I have to paint? I'll make up a little list just what comes to mind:

.) Battle Barge Space Marine (Apothecarius)

.) a handful of Sisters of Battle
    - an Exorcist, (about 40% painted)
    - Squad of SoB (primed)
    - Death Cult Assassins (primed)
    - Eversor (50% painted)
    - Callidus (primed)
    - Stormtroopers (primed)
    - maybe three or four single miniatures (in various stated of WIPness)

...and maybe I should repaint the whole army.

.) a Valhallan army I'm not yet too sure what to do with (artillery regiment? mechanized? vanilla IG?)
    - about 1700pts plus Baneblade and quite a lot of unassembled tanks, all only primed

.) Orks army (consisting of RT-era and 2nd edition Orks miniatures)
    - probably about 1500pts, mainly unassembled

So you see I have more or less HUGE PILES to paint. I'm sure that I won't get all this painted within the lifetime of this thread. As I said earlier, this will get updated occationally with random stuff.

Anyway, I'm currently working on a Space Marine Apothecary for the Battle Barge project. I haven 't painted a Space Marine miniature in a decade and it's quite a lot of fun.

....aaand I just noticed that the battery of my digicam is empty so you only get a little older pictures:

Brother Sigur

and his base:

Newer pictures will follow tomorrow. I hope we all will enjoy this log.

Re: Sigur's sci-fi project log (a Space Marine, Orks, randomness guaranteed!)

the white looks nice, and I am interested in seeing some more shots of the narcethium.
    mochi on miniature cost.
    Solder : auuugh ! What happened to my leegggss ? Frag grenade ? Officer : No, corporate downsizing; we figured that a grunt wasn't worth the extra two dollars to get a pair of legs.

samwise the great on Infiltration "Infiltrating is for hookers and sex fiends."

Aw...now I have to split my attention. Wait, that's double the Sigur!

I can't wait to see the Valhallans and Orks. This will be great. Consider me subscribed (again).

BTW....Brother Sigur looks less squirrel-like than I would have imagined.....
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law

I'm hoping to stay motivated to finish painting an army, or three.... (Update: 10/1/09!)

Anyone in Knoxville, TN wanting to play a game of fantasy, PM me!

So that'd be your chainsword then...

How about a squirrel hat? I'm sure that'd make it stand out as yours.
    Captain Senioris
    Edinburgh League of Gamers
    Captain's Log... -Last update: Contemptor Dreadnought 22/07/11

Oi, feedback already.

@Keadaen: In this picture, I had only sloppily applied two basecoats of Codex Grey and SW grey. The Narcethicum isn't really painted yet but I'll give you some close-ups of it once I've done a bit on it.

@Nephilim: You, my friend, have to learn that it's what's in the power armour that counts. ;-) At least there's some fur on the handle of the chainsword which I will paint to look like red squirrel tails and maybe I'll add one or two acorns to the base.

As mentioned in my to-do list, the Valhallans and Orks aren't done yet at all, just a few test minis I did in the past:

@Cpt.Senioris: Yarr, that be me chainsword! Cool, innit? B-) Equipping my Marine with a silly hat? I'll consider that.

So here's the currnent state of the miniature (sorry for the yellow-ish-ness):

The painting on the wings on his right shoulderpad is kind of rough. On this miniature, I'm trying out Sky-Earth NMM for the first time. I think it looks okay on thechest and "beltbuckle" but it's still weird on the shoulderpad. The reflected horizon collides a bit with where the two rows of feathers meet. Fiddled around quite a bit with it in the past hours. The backpack is currently not even all white and of minor interest at this point.

I hope I'll get some more done until the next batch of commission stuff arrives.

Oooh - loving those Valhallans! The green and greys work really well together - lovely shading too. Plus you've got the stubble on the faces down pat :-). The wooden weaponry is a nice touch too. Only critisism would be that maybe the teeth look a little strange - I think because there's too much contrast between the black and white? Makes it look like the gaps between em are too big. Are you going to do snowfield bases? I think they'd look really good with the grey coats :-D

So to summise, you are ordered to expedite the painting of those Valhallans soldier! Dont let the Emperor down! *racks a round into Bolt Pistol*

Those Valahllans look gritty, but well painted. I like them a lot. They will be needed some snow though, but maybe not too much to keep them 'gritty'.

Lil' Sigur is coming along great as well. I see what you mean about the shoulder though. The left part of the 'wing' looks great, but I am not sure about the 'feathers' as you said. Still, I know you will find a way. Oh, and that ork skin is looking really good. Really good.
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law

I'm hoping to stay motivated to finish painting an army, or three.... (Update: 10/1/09!)

Anyone in Knoxville, TN wanting to play a game of fantasy, PM me!

That ork is really cool. The old stuff has a charm all of it's own I guess. It will probably look a bit funny standing next to, say, the new daemons, but in a good way. Also love the valhallans. They are nice minis, only problem is the sarges chainsword, it looks huge! Will you base the heavy weapons?

Thanks for the kind replies.

@Shinnentai: Thanks, good point about the teeth, I might redo them in another fashion. I just remembered seeing them done like that and it makes the guardsmen look really ....gritty with those weird teeth. And snowfield bases on those Valhallans is sure as sure.

Valhallans? Really? I already have 2 IG armies so they'd have to have a quite unique theme to justify doing them. Currently, I'm more thinking of doing Orks first (once I have the time).

@Nephilim of Sin: First off....[I]*smacks Nephilim for "lil' Sigur*. Apart from that, thanks. I don't like the grey on the coats much and it's a real pain to paint since greys tend to look way different when the paint is wet compared to the dry result. On the Marine: I'll try to smooth the "feathers" out.

@Bleys: Well, the Shokk Attack Gun dude looks alright; just wait until I get out the RT-era plastic orks. THAT will look funny next to newer miniatures. Yup, somehow the weapons on Valhallan Sgt. miniatures tend to look very chunky. I guess I'll base the heavy weapons. The guy who regularly posts the MIG-pigment-enhanced Valhallans made the gun and crew look very cool with the little scenery around.

Hey there!

A tiny little update featuring bad pictures. I hope you're as excited as I am.

I did a bit of work on my Battle Barge Marine:

....and his base:

That's all for now; I hope I'll be able to deliver you with some more updates in the next weeks.

Comments, advice (how to get rid of the yellow-ishness of my photos for example ) and critique are welcome as always.

Seeya!

One thing that may work with the yellowness Sigur is trying to use daylight as well as artificial light, and using a graduated blue-white background seems to help to (shouldnt be too hard to do in word but if you're lazy I have one I can email you ).

Nice marine btw; good, smooth white, although the little wings on the right shoulder-pad look a bit messy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Doc Grotsnik View Post
    14. Certain FAQ questions will be answered with the stock company answer of 'stop being such a knob'
    Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Arhalien: Consider yourself lucky I'm fresh out of rocks and sharp, pointy sticks
    My Fantasy Log//The Blog of Many Things

How did you do the wood pattern on those las guns? The grain looks very nice. Could you please provide information on how to do this? I want to do it for my hardened veteran shot gun stocks.
    Thanks

Sigur those valhallans are sweet, the faces are really excellent and the wooden lasguns are superb. I nearly started a valhallan army but went for steel legion in the end but now I think I might buy a squad to paint up.

The Apothecary's eye looks awesome. In fact the whole model looks great so far, as does the base. I'm afraid I'm going to have to vote against SENMM for the shoulder eagle thing though. It just doesn't work on this shape.
    Like slack-jawed never Gnyaarg. Some then folks'll folks'll skunk, some. the but, again yokel eat a Cletus.
    | Project log |
    McMullet's avatar has poorly hands and so few postings will be written and they may be a little terse.

Ooooh, squirrel got scifi stuffs? Cool.

The Apothecary does look great Sigur. Awesome clean white and great lenses on the helmet.

The Valhallans are my favourite so far though. Excellent skin and stubble.

Good morning gentlemen, here's another irregular update:

Thanks for the replies by the way!

@Arhalien: Thanks for the suggestions. Somehow, I never have time to take pictures during daytime but I'll try to follow your advice. I must have the white-blue jpg saved somewhere on my PC but I was always too lazy to print it out. :-P

@Dictator: Cheers, I hope I can remember correctly how I did the woodgrain. I'm pretty sure the recipe is: dark brown base, thin stripes of watered-down mid-brown paint, within those stripes.....aw, sod it, time for MS Paint again!
    So this is how I've done it. Dark Brown base, somewhat shakey, freehand-y woodgrain pattern painted on in mid-brown and then, within the mid-brown lines, brighter, thinner and more defined (=less watery) stripes. At the edges, I used an a little more bright colour to highlight a bit.

@McMullet: Thanks for your comment. I'm just a little disappointed about you not mentioning that the purple looks great. ;-) Anyhoo, I think you (and Arhalien) are right; I won't make the SENMM look proper. Actually, the more I'm trying to do NMM on this guy, the less I believe in me doing it properly altogether.

@Catferret: Welcome to the thread. Sheesh, I wonder why people in here are so obsessed with the Valhallans; there's a SPACE MARINE in here! As in "MARINEZLOL!". He has the power armour, a chainsword and the iconic helmet and all! Space Marines! Space Marines! Actually, the Valhallans are very, very low on my priorities list, mainly because I still have no idea about a theme for those as I already have a light infantry IG army and a Grenadiers IG army. I pondered about Mechanized Valhallans in the past but...well. Let's see. Some day, some day.

And to all of you who liked the red eyes: I CHANGED them to green! HA! Noticed that the colour scheme dictates green eyes and apart from that, I had to add some green to the miniature for the laurels and the little screen on the glove.

The Warseer-logo was painted on in one go; that went pretty fast and I think it looks okay enough from a little distance (eventhough it's leaning towards one side). The other freehand thing, the scripture on the sword, took a little longer but it looks OK I guess. My problem with the sword is that the casing has to be black which is a good thing of course but I somehow have to incorporate some red now somehow.

I'm trying to keep light sources in mind on this miniature but it have my problems with it.

What I'm very pleased with is how the little screen and the buttons underneath came out. Admit it; those are some RAD looking buttons B-)

Anyways, that's it for now, C&C&C&C&C&C are welcome as always and all that is left to say is: have a nice weekend and leave lots of comments.

He's perfect Sigur, although a medical professional with a chain sword makes me think of low cost medical care!
    Save the Earth: It's the only planet with chocolate.
    My Project Logs:
    Tommygun's Backwater Forgeworld: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126270
    Tommygun's Xenotechnology: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244950
    Tommygun does what with paper?: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226343
    Tommygun Ironworks http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304880
    New Paper web site: http://www.modelpaperworld.com/en/

Beautiful Sigur, really beautiful. Lovely freehand work on the shoulderpad and chainsword. The only thing that lets it down (as I've mentioned before; I really should stop repeating myself ), is the SENMM on the other shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Doc Grotsnik View Post
    14. Certain FAQ questions will be answered with the stock company answer of 'stop being such a knob'
    Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Arhalien: Consider yourself lucky I'm fresh out of rocks and sharp, pointy sticks
    My Fantasy Log//The Blog of Many Things

Quote Originally Posted by Tommygun View Post
    He's perfect Sigur, although a medical professional with a chain sword makes me think of low cost medical care!
    Thanks. Well, I guess curing injuries is the Apothecarie's secondary job. I imagine his gear to be two Aspirin and a HUGE syringe to suck your bone marrow out.

@Arhalien: Actually, I just fixed the shoulderpad and it looks really better now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hey "peeps"!

I almost finished my Space Marine now so I needed something to counter him. So may I present Grobgoff, the first mini of what should become an army some day:

I tried to go for a simple scheme that could be used on many plastic miniatures to make up an army. Highlighting the black went better than I thought, sadly it's hard to see in places since the sheen of the lamps got reflected. I didn't assemble him and I assume the guy who owned the miniature assembled him almost 20 years ago (at least I like to think that). Don't fear, fellas, I have several of those still on sprue to assemble them myself (a task I'm looking forward to) The positioning of his left arm is a bit weird so he probably will become a banner bearer of some kind later on.

So how do you like him? Comments and critique are very welcome as always.

Page 1 of 171 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast