Page 171 of 171 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 169 170 171
Results 3,401 to 3,414 of 3414

Thread: Battle Brush Studios Commission Log .... In Space!

Re: Battle Brush Studios Commission Log .... In Space!

...it was up to the heroic Cultists (and their DG Terminators tag-alongs) to take the battle to the enemy lines, driving the battered BA captain before them.

The Boltguns of the tactical Marines roared, but, by the will of the dark master, they barely grazed the brave Cultists. It was as if the shells went in entirely different directions altogether; as if the BA were not even aware of the presence of the legions of 20 cultists. Nurgle vult.

I took the opportunity to liberate two strategically important craters from the totalitarian oppressors and while my heroic Cultists set up a forward HQ in the craters and took a few shots at the tactical BA. They weren't supposed to hit at all, but only harass the enemy, so the plan unfolded beautifully. It bought the DG Terminators some time to get into close combat...

... and in the end prevailed (barely, and with the help of their Chaos Lord).

In the mean time the rest of the Death Guard had taken the elevator up to the top of the citadel and cheered (and possibly jeered) as they spotted the remaining BA unit (the Devastators) flee the scene. The day was won, and, if I may say so, all due to the heroic efforts of the Chaos Cultists. I'm sure the DG Marines did some other things as well, but I didn't really pay attention.

On a more serious note, we basically stopped the game due to time, and because it looked like the thing was pretty much done. The BA had lost more than two thirds of their force while the Nurgle force only lost a handful of cultists and most of the terminators. Oh, and the Lord was quite unwell at that point too. But still - the BA were in a bad spot. Not the least because Virago displayed some abysmal dice rolling early in the game. The spent the rest of the evening arguing about the correct size of figures for playing Napoleonic battles and started planning out 28mm Wild West scenery things.

Some things became apparent while playing:
    .) 40k 8th edition is fine. It's good fun. The rules got a very, very clever make-over. I'm rather happy that my initial impressions of the rules (back when I reviewed them) turned out to be correct.
    .) Nikfu brought these new Nurgle dice.

When they were released of course I made fun of them. They can't be balanced in any way. Despite some random internet guy's (who rolled them like 1000 times and posted the results on some facebook group. Bless him.) I couldn't comment on that. That being said, I thought it was just two kinds of hard plastic stuck into one another. Boy, was I wrong. The lighter green parts actually are soft gooey/rubbery and I'm not ashamed to admit that they are incredibly fun to use. It's very silly and it probabyl can't be explained, but I think they tap the same region of the brain which is ever-fascinated with bubble wrap.

These dice are the perfect allegory for 40k as a whole I think.

Anyway, despite the fact that sadly I didn't see any of my own minis on the table it was a fun game. Yup, 40k's good. Oh, and those tablet version codices are good too. A medium well used.

A few days after that it was time for the big event - Too Fat Lardies Games Day at WoW/Keepers club in Vienna. We are a group of avid fans of the rules sets by Too Fat Lardies. Basically their rules sets merge the challenges of making people in combat do what their commander wants them to do and heavily stresses the actual on-the-ground experience of combatants through the centuries. At the same time they flow really well and are just good fun, while each game develops a unique narrative. Cpt.Shandy decided to put together a full day of demo gaming at the local games club to display our love for these games and invite people to get to know these games. Here's my report: http://www.battlebrushstudios.com/20...games-day.html

Virago and I showed Dux Britanniarum (covering the Saxon invasion of Britain right after the Romans left), Cpt.Shandy demoed his favourite, Sharp Practice set in the ACW and Lynx and Annatar showed "Kiss Me, Hardy!" (Admiral Nelson's alleged famous last words) which deals with naval battles in the 19th century. Later in the evening Shlominus and I did a demo game of the brilliant Chain of Command (platoon-level combat in WW2).

Last point of order today - I'm moving house. This means I have to look through my collection/ lead/plastic/resin mountain. I started last week and thought it wasn't that bad, but it turned out that this was just the top layer. :P This is going to be a bit more work.

...and that's it for today. Go out and have a brilliant Halloween.

Excellent couple of posts Sigur! Yo.u take great pictures of minis in action- very pleasing to look at. As is that building- very nicely done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

sigur,

Love the battle report commentary and the photos.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

@Codsticker: Thanks very much. The tower thing is virago's doing. He's good with stuff like that.

@Captain Brown: Cheers, glad you enjoyed it!

Trying to slip back into my regular work schedule, and here's an Orky update on the Goffs:

Haven't moved the proper photo setup here yet, hence the weird half-and-half background. Anyway, silvery metallics are done, checkerboard pattern bits are done, clothes are done and most of the damaged paintjob effect. Next I'll do the copper-colored metallics (mostly CCW handles and some details) plus weathering, after that I guess I'll have to tackle teeth and horns and after that it's the rest of the details for me!

Well, I'm starting to settle into the new surroundings, got the essentials set up and decided to test a few new photo setups. Here's the finished Orks, a total of 61 Boyz and 2 Nobz:

All of them (well, mostly):

An example mob of 20 plus Nob:

...and another mob:

Hope you like them!

Oh My 61 boyz ^^ a great work!
    My Imperium Blog : Faith of the Imperium

WARHAMMER-40k-CAMPAIGNS.COM - Follow this unique website project of 40k campaigns since the beginning on our Facebook!

@anselminus: I'm afraid those are going to Germany. But yours are very high up on the to-do list!

Damn! (Goff sucks more than evil sunz ^^), next order will be more ork for you but deathskull . I build them frantically.
    My Imperium Blog : Faith of the Imperium

WARHAMMER-40k-CAMPAIGNS.COM - Follow this unique website project of 40k campaigns since the beginning on our Facebook!

@anselminus: Cool, looking forward to that. Orks are always good.

Over the past three weeks we played a few of the scenarios from the Deathwatch:Overkill boardgame.

The game is entertaining. A bit Space Hulk-ish, but lighter and with more explosions and pewpew and special rules.

Here's a WIP of the Deatchwatch Marines:

I bought this box for the lulz (and the Genestealer cult minis ) but it hasn't done anything with it. How does the game run?

@Codsticker: Yeah, I got it for similar reasons (that and advertising my paintmonkeyness and to have a theme for a painting workshop I did then). The rules are OK. 9 different (inspired) missions in the rulebook, can be played as a campaign. A turn basically goes as such:

.) Broodmind Phase: Genestealer Cult Player fills up his hand of cards (usually around 5, depending on the scenario). These cards have a number of figures (for example "3 genestealer hybrids with autoguns or autopistols" or "2 purestrain genestealers" or something like that on them), but ALSO a Gambit, which is a sort of event to boost Genestealer Cult figures, make life harder on the Deathwatch and so on. So it's an either-or thing for the Genestealer player. In this phase he also places Ambushes. The scenario dictates how many the player has to place; there are several entry points for ambushes, cards the player wants to use to spawn units are placed next to those in this phase.

.) Deathwatch Movement Phase: the deathwatch player moves his figures, usually 2 spaces for regular SM, 1 for the terminator, 3 for dudes with jump packs, 4 for the dude with the bike. This is measured in spaces on the different board sections that make the 'map' of the scenario.

.) GS cultist movement phase: the GS cult player moves his figures on the table and then turns around the ambush cards he placed earlier to reveal his reinforcements. Those may not move this turn, but fire

.) Deathwatch Attack phase: In this phase the DW may fight (shooting/combat). For that the game supplies a range ruler with 3 different range bands (Melee, Combat Range, Maximum Range). So the game uses a funky mix of space movement and measuring stick based shooting. In this sense it's important WHERE on the space a figure's standing. Combat is pretty simple: each model has a statline based on range bands, telling the players how many dice the model rolls when fighting targets at that range, alomng with a target number. A model equipped with a sword and pistol for example usually rolls two dice with a low-ish target number at melee range, one die with a higher target number at combat range (pistol firing) and no dice at maximum range. If a die hits the target number or above that's a success and the target model has to roll an armour save. If they fail their save GS models are killed. GS cult characters (Magus, Primus, Patriarch) and DW Marines all have two wounds each.

The target numbers to hit for GS cult models are mostly 5s and 6s, while Space Marines hit on 3s or 4s usually.

.) GS cult attack phase: Same as above, but for the GS cult

.) Deathwatch Attack phase: then the DW player gets ANOTHER attack phase. Because they're the elitest of the elites and whatnot.

Usually you get 6 marines each scenario (which you're free to choose, but in campaign game you can't use the same marines in subsequent games). Some scenarios seemt to be slightly not quite a lot playtested, goingf more for spectactle and pew-pew value over balance. But overall it's OK I think.

Sounds like a game may be a decent evening's entertainment; I should maybe/probably paint it all up and play a game.

@Codsticker: Yup, perfectly decent and light enough for most people to enjoy. We're splitting the Deathwatch between two players and have the third play the GS cult. I think the game's harder on the GS player because a.) he has to deal with his dudes dying a lot and missing a lot and b.) he's gotta play tactically while it feels like it's easier on the Space Marines.

Top of the morning to all of you. Here's another WIP shot of these space marines:

Most of what happened was metallics and detailwork on the Biker. Hope you like the minis!

Marines are close to being finished.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

Page 171 of 171 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 169 170 171