Page 2 of 171 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle Brush Studios Commission Log .... In Space!

Re: Sigur's sci-fi project log (a Space Marine, Orks, randomness guaranteed!)

Hmm, casting and sculpting have moved on since then...
    Beautiful painting though; you've done a really great job on the skin and the black, well, on pretty much everything really; nice and smooth

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Doc Grotsnik View Post
    14. Certain FAQ questions will be answered with the stock company answer of 'stop being such a knob'
    Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Arhalien: Consider yourself lucky I'm fresh out of rocks and sharp, pointy sticks
    My Fantasy Log//The Blog of Many Things

Howdy squirrel-boy.

The Ork boy looks great. I can't believe that I actually gave away a bunch of those some six years ago (oh, how young and foolish I was!). You've done a great job with the black. The highlights look very good, which isn't easy on black. I for one can never get it right, anyway. One thing though, his gun looks a bit too shiny, IMO. I'd give it an ink wash, or add some rusty patches to make it look a little less out of place.

Cuddles,
    -Thud
    Thud is the new black!

First 40k models I bought all them years ago. I used to love those Orks.

Great job on him Sigur. Really harks back to the old Goff style.

liking the Ork .. Makes me want to dig out the box load of original orks I have and paint them after all these years.

MD
    Mutants.... We are all mutants.... Its called evolution.

My Blog of Painting Old Fantasy and Rogue Trader Lead - http://wargamingwithleadferarris.blogspot.co.uk/

@Arhalien: Indeed things have moved on but those sculpts were pretty awesome for a fantasy game back then. The minis are almost as posable as the current Orks, there's additional bitz like binoculars (as on Grimgoff), ammo pouches, bayonets and the lovely Ork weapons sprues (including powergloves, chainswords, poweraxes, plasmaguns, plasmacannons, etc.).

@Thud: Zomfg, helloes! Thanks and yup, the gun really looks a little shiny eventhough I gave it a pretty strong inking. I'll just ink again when I get home and maybe paint a few details on.

@Catferret: Thanks. Must have been great to be in the game back then if one can trust the ramblings of the old ones. Anyway, yes, it's a very, very Goff-y colour scheme. All I wanted to do was looking up how exactly they used to do Ork teeth back then so I had a look at the colour pages of 'Ere we go (oh how I love this book) and it seems like I'm really easy to influence.

@Mutantdale: Go for it!

Now all I have to figure out is how to paint those en masse. And an army list, I need an army list which goes well with the miniatures I own, like a bunch of Boarboys I want to use. I made up rules for them and posted them in Rules Development a few days ago. Have a look if you like.

Little update:

I just put together 9 boar boys and their boars and primed the boys. It's really a shame that on ALL the second-hand boars I got, the tails have snapped off so I have to redo them using GS and wire. The boar boys are great models and I hope I'll be able to deliver you with some pictures soon. Apart from that, I started making up a list which features everything I'd like to have in my army.

HQ:
    Warboss (Bike, Power Klaw, cybork body) I'll be using this one
    Weirdboy the deathskull one

ELITES:
    either
    14 Blood Axe Kommandos+Boss (Powerklaw, bosspole), 2 heavy weapons
    10 Lootas?
    or
    7 Bosses + 3 PK, Painboy,Coybork Bodies (Ork Bosses in 'eavy armour)
    +Trukk

STANDARD:
    20 Goff Shootaboys including Boss with PK and bosspole and two heavy weapons
    20 Blood Axe Shootaboys including Boss with PK and bosspole and two heavy weapons
    12 Evil Sunz Sluggaboys including Boss with PK and bosspole and a heavy weapon
    +Trukk

FAST ATTACK:
    some boar boys

UNTERSTÜTZUNG:
    a Zzapp-Gun (using the traktor kannon miniature)

What do you think of this list? It's a bit less than 1500pts if I have the Looters or about 1600pts if I have the Bossmob.

I love the old super cyboar! Great choice for the leader.

The Lootas are a better gaming choice but the Boss mob will look far better I think. More conversion opportunities, while Lootas all look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Catferret View Post
    I love the old super cyboar! Great choice for the leader.

The Lootas are a better gaming choice but the Boss mob will look far better I think. More conversion opportunities, while Lootas all look the same.

Hey Catferret; thanks for the comment!

Yeah, the super cyboar is a great model and much bigger than I thought it would be. Not sure about the rider though; maybe I'll try to convert another one to ride it (I'll try to have two bosses for every mob; one with Power claw, one with normal choppa or 'uge choppa).

Concerning the lootas vs. bosses question: I'll paint both mobs anyway, it's just about what I'll try to do first. Not sure If I'll convert that much on the Ork Bosses as those old 'eavy armoured Orks are more or less one-piece models with their army held tightly to their bodies mainly. But I'll see. For now, it's Boar Boys.

Boo, page 4 again already? Time to do something about that. Here's a little Update:

These are four of the nine Boarboys I'm currently working on. As you can see, I'm going for a classic, yet a little muted colour scheme. Of course it will feature blue and reds too though. Sadly, there are only four different bodies (excluding the Boss sculpts I don't own) but I think I made them sufficiently different-looking.

The boss of my boarboys mob features a slightly converted power klaw from the plastic Ork boys box. Repositioning the "thumb" really makes it look a lot more vicious.

On the boars, which are second-hand (hence the funny-looking painting), all of the tails were snapped so I had to redo them using thick wire and a bit of GS on the ends. I hope they look okay; I'm really not the best sculptor in the world.

So....I guess that's all that has to be said and 70% of the people viewing project logs don't read the text anyway so I'll just shut up now.

I hope you like the stuff. Comments, critique and any kind of other replies are highly welcome. Seeya next time!

Looking lovely Sigur; you've really got that Ork skin perfect there
    And there appears to be no problems with the poses so far from what I can see

14. Certain FAQ questions will be answered with the stock company answer of 'stop being such a knob'
    Arhalien: Consider yourself lucky I'm fresh out of rocks and sharp, pointy sticks

Great textured look to the skin. Really brings out that fungussy feel.

Not that I regularly grope mushrooms. Honest.

Great painting on the Orks there old chap. The skin looks great.

I wouldn't worry about the Boars' tails; the ones you've done look fine and to be frank the originals aren't great anyway. Good conversion on the power klaw as well, it looks like it really means business now...

Oh, and I LOVE the orange boar, I'm sure the unit will look great when they're all done like that. Especially with the blue eyes.
    Like slack-jawed never Gnyaarg. Some then folks'll folks'll skunk, some. the but, again yokel eat a Cletus.
    | Project log |
    McMullet's avatar has poorly hands and so few postings will be written and they may be a little terse.

@Arhalien: Being the cunning fox that I am, I used four differently-posed Orks in the update pictures, but thanks.

@Catferret: I'll just assume you didn't mean to taunt me with all the "fungus" talk.

@McMullet: Thank you, good sire. Now that the boars are primed, I think that the tails I did for them look quite good and you're right; the original ones don't really look all that great.

All your kind comments fuelled my painting motivation so here's another little update:

Before painting the reds, I was a bit worried that them boys would look a bit lifeless in the end but now I have to say that I'm quite happy with the way they're turning out. A few blue details will be added later. What do you think?

Another little update (quite stressful times these days, studying and such). Anway, here are close-ups of some of da boys:

I hope you like them.

Now Sigur, there are those who may consider theose a bit too brightly colorful, and, well, red

Can't fault the quality of the painting though

If I listened to those one- or twothousand nay-sayers I could lock down this thread as well.

Seriously, they might be right. I may have gone a bit far with the colourful feathers. Future Orks of mine shall be a bit less colourful.

....whiiiich leads me to the reason of this posting: work on the Warmaster commission has been finished so I can return to 40k. From now on, I'll try to deliver you guys with nice updates on a regular basis. (at least until the new DE army book is released ).

Hi

I really love your Battle Barge Apo - you git!

This means even more work to make mine come close to yours at least...

You are a very good painter, mate.

Festus
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all!
    Quote Originally Posted by T10
    As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis
    Festus can be stubborn, but he is no troll.

@Festus: Thanks but Brother Apothecarius Festus has a POWER SWORD if I remember correctly which is the real reason why I'm putting so much efford in making Brother Sigur look good; sword-envy.

Hey guys, sorry for posting so late, I hope you weren't sleeping already but here's a little picture of the current state of things in terms of snakebitey Boarboyness:

Today I did the boars and a little bit of work on the boss's powerklaw. In the picture you can't really see the tusks but they don't look that great anyway. Anyhoo, that's it and in the back you can see the terribly unpainted beginning of the first boyz mob.

Alright, not only because I can't stand being on page#4 with my log () but also because I spent a fair bit of time painting today, here's another update:

As you can see, no significant changes there but I did quite a lot of details, mainly leathery parts (belts, straps, shoulder armour), bones, and such. And don't doubt my seriosity about this army because of picture#2; it's just very hard to spot anything if a huge boarface is in front of the Ork boys.

So what is there still left to do?
    .) boots (which will stay black and therefore need highlighting)
    .) finishing the metallics
    .) several lucky stones the Orks are wearing
    .) Boltpistol casings
    .) banner poles
    .) finishing off the axes (or the chainsword respectively)
    .) fur on the boots (red! yay!)

So still some stuff to do as you can see. I blame Alan Perry for having done so wonderfully detailed miniatures.

I suppose you could call it boarfaced cheek?
    And isn't this a little bit late for Sigur Squirrel to be up? Past his bedtime?

All randomly hurled abuse and bad punning aside those things look very impressive, despite the red
    I would say however that the red could do with a lot more contrast; it may just be the photo but it looks very flat and featureless at the moment, especially in contrast to the lvoely highlighting on the rest of the models

Page 2 of 171 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast