Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula One Debauchery and Craziness (and love of sport)

Re: Formula One Debauchery and Craziness (and love of sport)

Did anyone sign up to the ITV "Fantasy Formula One Team" Competition ??

I didn't read it through, and consequently missed the closing date but if its popular il definatley join in next year ?

Also this KERS system sounds very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    The governing body of international motor sport, the FIA, has allowed the use of 60 kW "Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems" (KERS), in the regulations for the 2009 Formula One season.[5][6] The first of these systems to be revealed was the Flybrid[7] which appeared in a article in Racecar Engineering magazine
    Last edited by Steam_Giant; 17-04-2008 at 11:13.

Since Super Aguri will not be taking part in the rest of the 2008 F1, Is this the nail in the coffin for customer cars ? I feel sorry for our boy Davidson, but he should get a seat next year, surely..?

As for the Honda Dumbo wings, im saving my judgement...

Lurking in the dark... in the void between worlds....

Quote Originally Posted by Steam_Giant View Post
    Is this the nail in the coffin for customer cars?
    Customer Cars have already been outlawed, so its not an issue from that point of view.
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrad
    As ever WINTERMUTE speaks the truth

A Light in the Darkness Irisado's Avatar

As Wintermute says, customer cars were already living on borrowed time.

I'm very sad that Super Aguri appears to be no more. I've long been a supporter of smaller teams. (I was a Minardi supporter right up until the bitter end).

It isn't surprising that small teams can't compete any more though. Formula 1 has become a manufacturer dominated series, and I think this will come back to bite it in the end. Those who are only in it for profit, and not for passion, won't be worried about grid sizes and fans when the going gets tough. They will only be interested in the bottom line, i.e. money.

It doesn't help that generally the races are nowhere near as exciting in my view these days. The last really good season we had was 1999.

Back to the present though, does anyone think that Ferrari won't score another one two this weekend? I'm struggling to see how they could contrive to lose. Any thoughts?
    Visit 40K Online for all your 40K needs.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

Quote Originally Posted by Irisado View Post
    It doesn't help that generally the races are nowhere near as exciting in my view these days.
    Did you find the Turkish GP any better ? Hamiltons three stop strategy, supposedly imposed by bridgestone "For sure" made for some exciting moves !?

It was better, but it still wasn't enough of an improvement to compare with races from the past.

The problem is one of sanitisation. The reliability is too good, thanks to all these ridiculous engine and gearbox rules. Nobody ever breaks down any more, which means that the race results are so predictable.

Hamilton made a great attempt to upset the apple cart, but it says it all, that I knew that Massa would win before the weekend even started!

I know why they have introduced long life component regulations, but I believe that there are better ways to save money. Also, all the supposed savings haven't really helped the small teams very much have they. Since they were introduced, Jordan (Midland, Spyker), and Minardi have been forced to sell up, and now Super Aguri has run out of money. I don't get the point of making the cars have replacement part fitted less often, yet the small teams still can't compete. It just doesn't add up.

The next race in Monaco should be more open, but it will be all about who gets on the front row, since you can't pass there.

That's nothing new of course, but in the past you used to be able to get into the points there by driving sensibly, and waiting for others to have mechanical problems, or hit the wall. The former hardly ever happens now, while the latter has up until now been ruled out by traction control. The saving grace now, is that, without traction control, there may be a chance of there being more mistakes at Monaco.

McLaren have a good chance to beat Ferrari at Monaco, so that at least my bring some relief. If it rains though, anything could happen (remember Panis winning for Ligier in 1996)......

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

Quote Originally Posted by Steam_Giant View Post
    Hamiltons three stop strategy, supposedly imposed by bridgestone "For sure" made for some exciting moves !?
    Bridgestone have confirmed they advised MacLaren to adopt a three stop strategy for Lewis. Here are details.

Quote Originally Posted by Irisado View Post
    The next race in Monaco should be more open, but it will be all about who gets on the front row, since you can't pass there.
    Yes you can, at the exit of the tunnel, the start/finish line and other places.
    Last edited by Wintermute; 12-05-2008 at 18:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Bridgestone have confirmed they advised MacLaren to adopt a three stop strategy for Lewis. Here are details.
    True.

Yes you can, at the exit of the tunnel, the start/finish line and other places.
    In theory you can, but in practice it rarely happens. Trying to stay close enough to the car infront through the tunnel due to the current issues with the aerodynamic turbulance makes this increasingly more difficult, especially with so many extra aerodynamic pieces on the cars these days. At least some of those will be banned in 2009.

Passing along the start/finish line on the run down to Ste Davote usually ends in tears, so drivers don't tend to try it very often, except on the opening lap.

As for other places, many have tried, but few have succeeded. Just ask David Coulthard about how many laps it took him to pass Enrique Bernoldi's Arrows in 2001 .

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Schumacher managed to pass just fien when he was demoted to the back of the grid..he made it all the way to 5th by the end of the race.
    So clearly it's possible to pass people.

This gran prix was interesting to say the least, had kimi not had that first turn incident with heiki then it seems very unlikely that hamilton would have managed to finish any better than 3rd, perhaps he would have ended out 4th behind heiki.

I like the way the car's look with all the winglets all over them, compared to GP2 cars and such they look far more interesting and not just clones of each other in different colours.

I'm glad the presenters didnt opt to give hamilton the driver of the day for the umpteenth time, despite hamilton setting a seemingly blistering pace...the fastest lap was infact done by Kimi.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post
    This gran prix was interesting to say the least, had kimi not had that first turn incident with heiki then it seems very unlikely that hamilton would have managed to finish any better than 3rd, perhaps he would have ended out 4th behind heiki.
    Or, according to MacLaren, if the first turn incident had not happened, Heiki may have won the the race.

Imagine what may have happened of Lewis wasn't running a three stop strategy. It may have been a MacLaren 1-2.

But we will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post
    Schumacher managed to pass just fien when he was demoted to the back of the grid..he made it all the way to 5th by the end of the race.
    So clearly it's possible to pass people.
    Okay, let's test this theory to destruction.

Ferrari utilised very clever strategy, and the fact that they had the fastest car that day to leapfrog Schumacher up the order. He actually passed very few people on the track, all his overtaking was done in the pits. He stopped only once, most other drivers stopped twice, and Schumacher lapped faster than they did while they were making their own stops.

He passed four cars at the start, overtook Scott Speed on lap two, he overtook Speed and Christijan Albers after his only stop, and then moved up the order as others pitted.

This hardly constutites a tour de force of overtaking does it?

Also passing Speed and Albers wasn't the greatest challenge ever to face the seven times world champion, let's be honest.

Raikkonen made a very poor start even before he hit Kovalainen, so his chances of taking second were already compromised. Heikki could well have beaten Lewis though, I agree.

I like the way the car's look with all the winglets all over them, compared to GP2 cars and such they look far more interesting and not just clones of each other in different colours.
    They wouldn't look like clones of each other any more than they do now. All the teams copy each other, take away the paint, and you'll see little difference between the cars.

These winglets, and additional pieces look ugly, and make overtaking much harder, so I feel that they need to go.

I'm glad the presenters didnt opt to give hamilton the driver of the day for the umpteenth time, despite hamilton setting a seemingly blistering pace...the fastest lap was infact done by Kimi.
    I was pleased that they awarded it to Massa, he had everything under control throughout.

It might be possible in theory to overtake at Monaco, but it's certainly not a regular occurrence amongst vaguely evenly matched drivers.

It was quite compelling way back when watching Mansell try to get his vastly superior Williams past Senna's McLaren, but it did demonstrate just how hard it is to pass on that track.
    Where's the kaboom?

So, Ferrari look like they have put McLaren on the backfoot after qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix.

If Lewis Hamilton has any hope of winning the title, I feel that he somehow has to win from third on the grid tomorrow, or else hope that Raikkonen does not finish.

Is anyone else hoping for rain? It has been forecast, and it would make the race much more interesting.

I am hoping for rain. That would make the race more unpredictable, and this is funny.

What I'd like to point is the disaster of Heidfeld (13th with a BMW, wtf?) and the great (?) qualification of Alonso, 7th with a undrivable and clearly worse car (just look at Nelsinho).

Anyway, tomorrow we'll see what happens.

(BTW, nice and poetic sig, Irisado )
    CROMENON
    Quote Originally Posted by Columind View Post
    The JSOD is a trademark of the saurus heroes [...] for as much as it gets old, I always enjoy playing one and against one, because it proves to be a challenge and it's unpredictable, that can be a lot more fun than chasing a coward VC player's black coach around until it flyes, does pizza on it's nuclear microwave and shoots missiles out of it's ****.

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

It was a good race. Many crashes and no casualties
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Yeah, a crazy one. With rain, everything gets much better...
    CROMENON
    Quote Originally Posted by Columind View Post
    The JSOD is a trademark of the saurus heroes [...] for as much as it gets old, I always enjoy playing one and against one, because it proves to be a challenge and it's unpredictable, that can be a lot more fun than chasing a coward VC player's black coach around until it flyes, does pizza on it's nuclear microwave and shoots missiles out of it's ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Cromenon View Post
    (BTW, nice and poetic sig, Irisado )
    Thank you very much . Compliments from Spain are always very welcome .

Ah, I love rain! Monaco in the rain is always terrific, and today was no exception.

I'm not a huge Hamilton fan, but he did drive well after his early mistake, and deserved to win.

Ferrari made an utter horlicks of the race, and I was very pleased about this! I didn't mind Massa finishing on the podium though.

I'm not a fan of Raikkonen at all, so I was delighted that he didn't score, but I felt terrible for Adrian Sutil.

I agree with Martin Brundle that he was the driver of the day. He made no mistakes, was running fourth in the Force India (!), and deserved to get his best ever result, only to be stupidly taken out by Raikkonen. It really was a silly mistake from Raikkonen. He would still have held a joint lead of the championship even if he hadn't been able to pass Sutil, so what was he doing? He took liberties with the track, and had to use Sutil as a brake. Very poor driving that in my book.

I like Alonso, but he didn't have his best day. He was never on the right tyres at the right time, and his collision with Heidfeld was a bit on the silly side.

There was plenty of action throughout, and some unpredictable results, Vettel in fifth, Barrichello in sixth, no points for Raikkonen, and sensational driving from Sutil. A great race.

Did I mention how much I love rain?

Oh, what a joyous race that was!

As was said before, rain in Monaco = awesome race!

It was nigh impossible to tell who was going to win, as it could have been one of Massa, Hamilton, even Kubica, nice and close.

I also feel bad about Sutil not finishing, especially as now Force India have got a hefty repair bill there, something Ferrari wouldn't have trouble stumping up, but a poorer team like FI will. I think they should bill Raikkonen for it, Sutil took exactly the same line and didn't lose it!

Clearly, Adrian Sutil is a much better driver than Raikkonen!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry
    This man speaks the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller5 View Post
    It was nigh impossible to tell who was going to win, as it could have been one of Massa, Hamilton, even Kubica, nice and close.
    Really

The MacLarens were obviously running a heavier fuel load than the Ferrari's in Qualifying 3. Lewis easily overtook Kimi at the start but then nearly ruined his race on lap 6 when he hit the barrier. However this allowed the team to add even more fuel.

Later, when he took the lead, that was it, game over.

If it wasn't for the last safety car, Lewis would have won by a crushing margin.

Well that was a bit different wasn't it! Did anyone else enjoy the race?

The Canadian Grand Prix often throws up surprises, but a BMW victory, while not out of the question, was something of a surprise.

Not since Fernando Alonso won the 2006 Japanese Grand Prix for Renault has a team other McLaren or Ferrari won a race, so this result made for a refreshing change.

It was a pretty good race. The track breaking up made it rather tense. The slightest mistake, and you were history (as Alonso and Fisichella found out). It was a bit reminiscent of Dallas in 1984 and Spa (the abandoned first race) in 1985 in terms of the track breaking up. I'm relieved that it wasn't as bad as these two events though.

Speaking of mistakes, what was Lewis Hamilton doing? After qualifying I felt that it was his race to lose, but watching his interview with Steve Rider during the build-up, I got the impression that he was being rather too cocky. As a result, I'm not surprised that he made an error, but I didn't expect him to hit Raikkonen at the pit lane exit.

Hamilton may have a lot of ability, but sometimes he just gets a little too big for his own boots in my opinion. It was a bit like China last year, when he thought he had it all sewn up, and then his tyre failed.

It was also good to see a variety of different points scorers. Both championships have a much more interesting complexion now.

Magny Cours next then. This usually produces very dull races, so I'll be clinging to the memory of Monaco and Canada for a while I suspect.

Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast