Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My journey in scratch building (Or how I didn't blow too much money on a Macharius)

My journey in scratch building

When the Macharius came out I was getting back into the game. It made me want to put a lot more into my IG army. I like the standard Cadian troops but really liked the new tanks being given to DKOK. So wanting to add some new armour to my army I found a template for the Malcador, and decided to scratch it. It turned out pretty good, and I'll post some pics later (sorry no wip), but I wanted a heavier hitter, but not the Baneblade. I've seen too many, and I don't like the style as much. Then I found the Macharius. I think it is by far the best looking tank available. Low slung, and armed to the teeth, it's what I want to be the mainstay of my armour. Now I personally like building, and am rather stingy, so I figured I could build it. I found a few kit bashed ones on here and else where, but not any completed scratch builds. Starting with the pics FW released of it, and now the drawings in IA IV I've started. I just took some pics, and wish I had done some more, but I'll be taking more as I get work done, and post them up.
    Attachment 37749 This is all that I have done so far. I'm waiting on some tread from a Tiger tank to put the sides all together.
    Attachment 37750 I never realized how much effort would go into doing rivets like this. Their all plastic rod...you know how it works.
    Attachment 37751 I'm especially happy with how my sponsons worked out. On the Malcador I didn't want to put the effort into making it actually move, but I figured out a good way for these.
    Attachment 37752 This is the business end of the hull. I'm happy with how it turned out, but there will be a dozer blade added, that is after I get a lot more of the skeleton of the hull done, and after a few million rivets are put on.
    That's it for now. I'll keep up on this as best I can.
    Last edited by can't_decide; 23-11-2009 at 17:13.

Re: My journey in scratch building (Or how I didn't blow too much money on a Machariu

Just so you know this is in the wrong section, a mod will move this in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Apostle197 View Post
    Hey, it is fun to say "Painting these models makes me really good with my hands" :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    Salt? Hmm, isnt the Dead Sea between Israel and Jordan, and isnt it Israels 60th birthday? Doesnt this rumour seem to have a high sodium content?
    Coincedence??
    5th edition record W:7 D:0 L:2

Re: My journey in scratch building (Or how I didn't blow too much money on a Machariu

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlv8 View Post
    Just so you know this is in the wrong section, a mod will move this in a second.
    Thanks, I didn't realize that.

Great start, I built one a month ago,but didn't scratch build the track assembly. I wish I had afterwards though. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Save the Earth: It's the only planet with chocolate.
    My Project Logs:
    Tommygun's Backwater Forgeworld: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126270
    Tommygun's Xenotechnology: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244950
    Tommygun does what with paper?: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226343
    Tommygun Ironworks http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304880
    New Paper web site: http://www.modelpaperworld.com/en/

Scout
    Paradise, Canada Rank: I are Serious Cat! Chaplain: Astrum Lux Lucis starlight - it's for girls!

Moved.

starlight
    The Warseer Inquisition
    If you love a Redhead, set Her free...if She follows you everywhere, pitches a tent in your front lawn and your new girlfriend disappears, you belong to Her, get used to it .

What you say about other people, says far more about *you* than it does about *other people*.

Check out my ravings at Geek-O-Rama, where I'm now reviewing and covering Geek-related activities. If you see me at a 'Con, come and say Hi.

RIP Jon Wilson/Brimstone. 1967-2009. Memorial for Jon Wilson/Brimstone

I will be watching this for sure. Having two Macharius's and looking into a third i think scratchbuilding may be a viable option.
    "The difference between Gods and Daemons largely depends on where one is standing at the time."

Project log of Black Templars and Word Bearers.

Brother Sergeant

This is vrery impressive. I am quite impressed at the detail you managed to get on the sides of the tank hull so far. Very good stuff. I'm rather impressed with it and my eye shall certainly remain on this one for a while.
    "You have failed in the name of the Emperor, you are relieved of your duties and you will taken to court martial immediatley!"
    Commissar Holt to Colonel Gressam of the 24th Janathian Dragoons

PS Selling lots of Praetorian models. PM for details.

Looking good. I'd like to see some pictures of the Malcador as I'm thinking of scratchbuilding one myself. Any tips on how you did it would be useful as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Splagbot
    I personally don't like Tau because of the way they look, every thing looks like it's been designed by a child in some sort of Blue Peter competition.

I should be have some pics of the malc this weekend. I built it using a template, can't remember where I got it, but it was a lifesaver. It is for the defender with the 5 heavy bolters, and I plan on doing at least two more probably with battle cannons. Those will need some modification straying from the template, but it will be a huge time saver. I'll try to remember where I got it.

Holy crap, goldlike. Nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by L192837465 View Post
    i've gotta say that that happens to be CROTCHSWORD, SLAYER OF WORLDS!

Here are some pics of the Malcador I did. The paint isn't all done on it yet, but I've been working more on the Mach than anything else. That's on hold right now, because I'm waiting on my treads to come. Hopefully they get here soon. I think with the Mach I'm going to do two different turrets so that I can change from all three variants. The battle cannons and vanquisher cannons will interchange. That way I'll only build two, I want the mega bolter turret to look like the FW one with the hatch in the middle.
    Attachment 37896Attachment 37897Attachment 37898
    Attachment 37899Attachment 37900Attachment 37901

Well my tread came in yesterday for the Mach, so I'll be working on it again. Since I'm doing this all based on pictures and what I wanted, I needed the exact dimensions to be able to continue on the body of the tank. I'm using tread from a 1/35 Tiger tank, they are just what I wanted as far as the width, and just about right all around. Once I get some more work done I'll post the pics on here.

Sorry about all my posts being in a row, there aren't really any responses. Oh well though. I have gotten some work done on the Mach. Problem was I screwed up some stuff on the hull and had to rip it apart. Now, fixed. I think if all goes well I can probably get it all done today, aside from stuff like the rivets, and minor detailing. With work and all I think I can start getting paint on it by this next weekend.
    Attachment 38307Attachment 38308Attachment 38309
    My Army Builds

Kudos to you, job well done. :skull:

more pics:
    Attachment 38321Attachment 38322Attachment 38323Attachment 38324
    The treads are from a 1/35 Tiger tank. I really like the look of them, and they are the perfect size for the Macharius.
    My Army Builds

It's looking really good. Yours will look much more like the Forge World one than mind does. I order a bunch of tiger I and panzer IV treads today too. All for future projects. I'm working on a bomber for now. You are doing great, I'll be watching.
    Save the Earth: It's the only planet with chocolate.
    My Project Logs:
    Tommygun's Backwater Forgeworld: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126270
    Tommygun's Xenotechnology: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244950
    Tommygun does what with paper?: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226343
    Tommygun Ironworks http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304880
    New Paper web site: http://www.modelpaperworld.com/en/

Awesome. Loving that Malcador. Keep up the good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Splagbot
    I personally don't like Tau because of the way they look, every thing looks like it's been designed by a child in some sort of Blue Peter competition.

Unfortunately work is going to be halted on the Macharius for a little while. I'm moving next week, and don't have any time to work on it. Right now I don't even know when I can start again. I'll definitely put up any work that I do get done though.
    My Army Builds

Well it's been a while since I last updated this. I have been moving around and unable to work on anything. I finally got unpacked and worked through some of the more difficult portions of the Macharius' chassis though. Right now I am a little further than these pics show, I didn't have time to put them on the computer, but I will update soon. I'm working on putting the rivets on the chassis and then will start on the turret. I have the base built but no detail in it yet. I want to put battle cannon barrels on it interchangeable to vanquishers, but we'll see. I'm also planning on the vulcan mega bolter, but that will have to be a completely seperate turret.
    Attachment 47680Attachment 47681
    Attachment 47682Attachment 47683
    My Army Builds

Veteran Sergeant

Awesome work.

Can you pm me the link to the Malcador template?

Chapter Master

Ooh, that's some lovely clean work - and very dedicated riveting, too! I look forward to seeing more of this.
    Too many tanks? Impossible!
    Historical log: WWI, Napoleonics, and (in time) sundry other things.
    40K & Historical on Photobucket
    Blog

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast