Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20

Thread: Silverstu's bag of stuff-it's my bag baby!

Re: Silverstu's bag of stuff-it's my bag baby!

I've said before how much I love your Tyranids colour scheme so I'll lay off that. But your Spirit Host looks so cool*! What colours did you use? It goes really well with the snow base.

So, your Kharadron Overlords will be getting the snow base treatment, right?

* Pun maybe intended

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    I've said before how much I love your Tyranids colour scheme so I'll lay off that. But your Spirit Host looks so cool*! What colours did you use? It goes really well with the snow base.

So, your Kharadron Overlords will be getting the snow base treatment, right?

* Pun maybe intended

Doi
    I'm going to shock you- I don't think I'm going snow bases with the Kharadrons! I'm trying to figure out what to do with them- especially the ships. Thinking ruined civilisation- I've bought some cogs, ruined columns and some weathering powders. I like the idea of doing some duardin ruins, something vaguely aquatic is tempting too but I haven't quite settled on something. I blame the Sylvaneth- I started painting them again and I had done 2 with snow bases and they looked pants so I've gone for erupting nature rather than arriving blizzard and I think I'll keep the snow bases for the undead and the Nids. I think I have a lot experimenting ahead of me!
    On the Spirit Host- I'm trying to remember! I have built the other two and can't remember the recipe - russ grey is the base but I have to sort out the washes!
    Will post pics of recent painting- finished the 6 Guardians and 5 Spacehulk Stealers [and managed 2 games!] and working on the Sylvaneth!
    My random painting log- Dwarfs, Nids and VC - updated with Kharadrons! 01/05/17
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142003

I'm going to shock you- I don't think I'm going snow bases with the Kharadrons!
    We all get tempted by the dark side some time .

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

Really nice undead, especially the rust. Round bases on swarms are acceptable ...

I think cloud bases would be best for the latest AoS army, you can get them in any color you want from what I read.
    my general project thread

[2018] painted: 5, added to my collection: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Sureshot05 View Post
    As ever, your undead are outstanding. The colour scheme is beautiful, and your style compliments them so well that you were made for the undead (haha!). It stretches well to the sylvaneth, the force looks intimidating and gives a very different vibe from the GW versions.

Those are sinister nids. I can see them being a very scary army on a snow topped battlefield which is great. You've done some excellent work on the carapaces, with draws the eye really well.

The wraith guard is great, it has a nice feel ofr being on campaign, something most Eldar don't normally show. I think the darker tone could either be offset with some more extreme highlights if you don't like the dark, but I really like the scheme. I think it would blend perfectly with the new Ynnari (sp?) as well.
    Yeah I like how the Ynnari blend the eldar races - quite by accident my eldar fit in! Thanks for the encouragement! I'm really enjoying how the Tyranids and Undead have really shaped up- I now want to get my other armies up to that kind of feel.

We all get tempted by the dark side some time .

Doi
    I think I'm going a bit far- bought Moby Dick to read!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    Really nice undead, especially the rust. Round bases on swarms are acceptable ...

I think cloud bases would be best for the latest AoS army, you can get them in any color you want from what I read.
    Cheers- yes I've thought about cloud bases ... might try them out on the ships ore balloon guys.. lots of plans at the moment but we'll see what comes of it!!

Update- took a bunch of pics with my good camera - I seem to have left the macro setting on which explains the lack of depth in some of the photos.
    First up - got my 6 eldar guardians done [ish] - they aren't perfect but they will do for now as I have loads more to do. Quite like the overall feel of them-

Got 5 more Spacehulk Stealers done to add to the horde.. the pics are a bit wick due to the macro focus but it gives you an idea.

Actually had a couple of games with them the other week-which was great- got us talking about getting a few more in and maybe trying AoS [handy as all the rules are free]. Have another 8 more stealers to do and the marines [although the marines are started.. I hate marines..]. I'm doing them mostly out of duty to have fully painted models for the game- I'd rather paint other things but I am pleased with how they are going.
    Last edited by silverstu; 12-09-2017 at 12:32.

Next up is some of the things I painted a while ago when Warseer was down- Nids!!
    First is a Screamer-Killer which I'm rather fond of, I have another unbuilt so he will get a brother at some point..

A bunch of Gants..

And bad pics of a lictor.. love lictors...

Lots more to do with them but really enjoying painting them- the Zoey's have yet to be finished so I guess the are up next a long with 4 hormagaunts..
    Last edited by silverstu; 12-09-2017 at 12:33.

Finally a ended up having a crack at my Sylvaneth - these are work in progress, the Hunter isn't finished yet but is my favourite model in the range. I did have snow on a few of their bases but I took it off and am going for nature following the sylvaneth as they advance. The Dryads are a bit ropy as I'm still sorting out the scheme- think I have to now it just needs refinement [quite a bit I'd imagine..].

Also painted the chapel in the background -its about 70% done as I want painted terrain if I get back gaming with my mate. AoS seems like a good place to start as the rules are very accessible and free [since we haven't played in ages] plus it looks like you can do small, quick games and just chuck a few models down which seems handy. Very tempted to do a few forces for it- add to my Sylvaneth, maybe Fyreslayer [they need a price drop!] and Fleasheater courts as well as the Kharadrons..

Working on the other 2 spirit hosts- Doi I think the difference is I got Drakenhoff Nightshade wash and that has given them a darker, more sinister type of shading.

And I have a box to keep my work in progress pieces in which I'm trying to clear before the Overlords arrive.. it not working particularly well as I keep grabbing other things and painting/building them.. but at least I'm painting a lot again..

Ta for looking!!
    Last edited by silverstu; 12-09-2017 at 12:33.

That Screamer Killer is fantastic. You're bringing back thoughts of me starting up a monster only Nids force...

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

Great stuff Silverstu! Really liking your nids and sylvaneth!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

That Screamer Killer is fantastic. You're bringing back thoughts of me starting up a monster only Nids force...

Doi
    After your Sylvaneth? Join the Hive Mind....

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post
    Great stuff Silverstu! Really liking your nids and sylvaneth!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    Thanks!! Much appreciated -trying to keep them all going at the minute, really enjoying my painting and getting stuff done!

Soooo... I have a few IronBreakers done - I'll post pics when I get the full rank finished to bring them up to 15.
    A bit more work on the Spirit Host-

Getting there.. I think I'm trying a different approach with this one.. not sure if its working.. I think I need more blending.

With the news of new 40K and perhaps working combat I started another 4 hormagaunts.. 2 done, 1 half done and one base colours-

Definitely like how I do the flesh now [dark reaper, washed back with black and then highlighted up as opposed to highlighted up from black].

I think the Nids will be getting all the 40k love for the next wee while.

And of course the Kharadron Overlords have arrived! I've restricted myself to just 2 companies, a frigate and admiral for now and next will get some Endrinriggers when they come out. Trying to work out a scheme- was going for a copy of my new dwarf scheme on the Ironbreakers and Hammerers except with more weathering. The scheme is pretty dark- I discovered my love of Warplock Bronze and they look quite weathered, I may have to do something to lift the scheme and the basing needs refined, actually it all needs refined but overall I'm happy with it. I like the grim look and I think I'll add more gold elements to the "richer" elements of the force, i had intended to highlight up to the brighter brass/gold tones from the warplock bronze but goddamn the dark bronze looks great. I'll refine it as I go I reckon but here are the first 3- thoughts appreciated..

This one is a little overexposed so the tones are a bit off- might be a better scheme to aim for!-

So more Kharadrons on the way, more Nids [finishing the hormagaunts, Zoanthropes and build some Ravs] and finish the spirit host.

Thoughts appreciated..
    Last edited by silverstu; 12-09-2017 at 12:34.

After your Sylvaneth? Join the Hive Mind....
    Don't tempt me .

As much as I like the scheme you currently have for the Kharadrons, the lighter one in the over exposed pic is really cool! Any plans to add vegetation to the bases? Some greenery would help break up the fact that they tend to blend into the bases a touch.

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

Don't tempt me .

As much as I like the scheme you currently have for the Kharadrons, the lighter one in the over exposed pic is really cool! Any plans to add vegetation to the bases? Some greenery would help break up the fact that they tend to blend into the bases a touch.

Doi
    Yeah when I saw the over exposed one [and I clicked auto contrast on photoshop] I thought damn- thats how they should look. I'm trying again with a more restrained use of null oil, might add in a bit of thunder hawk blue to lift the suit colour. The bases need sorting - I think tackling a big base on the ships or something will help, foliage is good.. I'll give it a try as well.

Liking the Nids. I've been considering a dark colour for a Hive Tyrant I picked up to paint as a one off...too much watching Alien probably. Impressed with how the black has come out on yours.
    2017 Models Bought - 28 2018 Models Bought - 0
    2017 Models Painted - 44 2018 Models Painted - 0
    2017 Models Built - 72 2018 Models Built - 3
    Lead/plastic/resin pile currently standing at 557 unpainted models

I ain't dead...

Got an imgur account sorted so going to give this a whirl- just a few pics from my phone. Been mostly painting my Nids - I'll get a better update soon- for now got my first Hive Guard painted - very pleased with the wee orange petrol can... I do my love my bases.. *cough* Doi *cough*...

and I started mr chompy-face...

I need to work on the resizing I think....

*cough* Doi *cough*...
    What are you trying to say?

Hive Guard looks ace! I really love the armour plates.

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

Agreed with Doi - the carapace on the Nids is fantastic The scheme as a whole works very well too.

I'm liking the Kharadon Overlords as well - intrigued to see what the airships look like

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Doc Grotsnik View Post
    14. Certain FAQ questions will be answered with the stock company answer of 'stop being such a knob'
    Arhalien: Consider yourself lucky I'm fresh out of rocks and sharp, pointy sticks
    My Fantasy Log//The Blog of Many Things

Quote Originally Posted by Arhalien View Post
    Agreed with Doi - the carapace on the Nids is fantastic The scheme as a whole works very well too.

I'm liking the Kharadon Overlords as well - intrigued to see what the airships look like
    Cheers Arhalien! The Nids are going well - pretty pleased with the first hive guard. No ships for the Kharadrons yet - I wanted to be happy with their scheme before I went forward with them. Pretty happy with it now and I've bought a few more so there should be some progress on them soon. Heres a bad pic with how my first company is looking.. [sorry for the crappy phone pic.. struggling with my actual camera..]

What are you trying to say?

Hive Guard looks ace! I really love the armour plates.

Doi
    Cheers! They worked out well! I have to get my camera going and get a proper update- a good few Nids done and not shown, the Kharadrons are moved on a but and I'm pretty pleased with how they are going [more celestra grey in the scheme works] and with Malign Portents incoming my undead have made a reappearance ..

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20