Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Silverstu's bag of stuff-it's my bag baby!

Re: Silverstu's bag of stuff-it's my bag baby!

I've just put my name down in the thread to do dark elves (I expect that'll be a popular choice). I didn't know the thread was up so thanks for that!

I see you're down as undecided in the TOFP list. Is that chaos undecided or just a general comment?

Looking at the list on the first page if only half of the painters make it to the last month that's going to be a lot of pretty armies come july next year.
    My favourite Gaming Podcasts
    - The D6 Generation [Gaming News, Reviews and Not Too Horrible Humour]
    - Heelan Hammer [WHFB Hobby and Tournament]
    - Bad Dice [WHFB Tournament Reviews and News]

Nope -it's either darkelves or VC- if I had the time and money i would do both- VC have the edge as I have half an army lying around- less expense. The idea of blowing 150 to get a good start on darkelves is a bit of a worry- might get away with collecting them a bit at a time. At the moment painting wise the darkelves testers are much better then the vc- pics soon.
    My random painting log- Dwarfs, Nids and VC - updated! 12/12/16
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142003

I like both the witch elf and the dwarves, but I think you'd benefit from some picture correction software, they're quite dark. Photoshop is very good for this, if you can get hold of a copy. Obviously this is easier if you don't have any scruples.

Yeah I have photoshop but i don't try to manipulate the images very much- I want to give an honest view of the painting[ish]. Plus sometimes I rush the images and don't alter them- bit of a lazy git! I'll post the latest DE work soon and then it will be cramming to get the dwarfs finished for ToP- 400pts!!

Some good looking stuff you're doing. Your metallics need a little work, and the 'black hair' problem. The first thing I think of when I see black hair highlighted with grey is senior citizen. Try using dark brown or a similar colour instead to highlight, your army won't look so dad's army then hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Yeah I have photoshop but i don't try to manipulate the images very much- I want to give an honest view of the painting[ish]. Plus sometimes I rush the images and don't alter them- bit of a lazy git! I'll post the latest DE work soon and then it will be cramming to get the dwarfs finished for ToP- 400pts!!
    I always open my pics in Photoshop and use the Image\Adjustments\Auto Levels tool. This usually makes the pic look more like reality. If it does I'll save it that way. It takes all of three seconds per pic.

Ok time to resurrect this sucker[apt terms considering the change in direction in terms of the ToP thread]

Ok- lots of bad pics- apologies- bit of a rush at the mo and trying to kick some life back into this thing.
    First off- dwarfs from current ToP thread-

BsB-

2nd Bolt thrower-

Organ gun-

The light was crap when i took these- of course it is brightening up now...these were done in a rush to complete the current ToP thread- I can and will do better. Things have been a bit hectic- lost my weekends to weddings, MOT, a friends visit, playing with the cats and bad blind dates[DON"T ask].. and then trying to catch up with my work... arghhhhhhh!
    Thanks for any interest/comments and thoughts it's been appreciated.

More Dwarfs-

bolt thrower crew- great models- painted by a cretin and in bad light- still they are done after countless years of languishing in a box-

WIP hammerers to finsh my ToP army-

Tried filler with snow for a heavy snow base- I like it- need to develop this a bit-

Right BIG news- the DE have been shelved- basically I have alot of VC stuff needing painting and as tasty as the DE are I couldn't justify spending loads of money on a new army. I have other commitments which I need to prioritize - so I'll spend a bit of money to complete the VC and save them from crying alone and unloved in their boxes.
    Here is the VC vs DE evidence-

the pile of stuff on the felt is VC the small box on the right is DE- VC win through numbers..

The latest batch of dwarfs are great. Are you all done with them now?

A pity you wont be doing more dark elves I really like the models you've done so far.

So I now just have to figure out how to paint them up to a decent standard....
    Going for a washed out look- pale fabrics and rusted armour on winter bases- thinking very cold theme- as if they bring the winter with them..
    Going over a white base coat to make the most of the washes.
    Here are some work in progress pics- 1st off a zombie- plan is a simple scheme cos I just want to blast out loads of them and spend my time on other models.
    Here is BOB the zombie-

Here is a WIP skellie- wash of sepia over white- needs more but it's a start and I like it. The new skellies are ACE- great kit- I want a lot of them- will probably mix in the bits with my old plastic skellies[skeleton army and horde era]

Grave guard- LOVE this kit- really want to do them justice- pics don't do justice to the cloth shading- still needs work but getting there. Think the rust is working on the back.

Want to do really good bases with these guys. Still need to develop them, sorry for the bad pics and pad paintjobs but just thought I'd better post something...And of course the sun is splitting the clouds now.. raining when i took the pics.

Right better get to work before I bankrupt myself...
    Thanks for looking.
    Stu.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazak Blacktoof View Post
    The latest batch of dwarfs are great. Are you all done with them now?

A pity you wont be doing more dark elves I really like the models you've done so far.
    Nearly done with dwarfs for now- I could do another 2000 points- which I will do at some point - bring them up to grand army levels. Yeah it is a bit of a shame I can't do DE at the moment- really enjoyed painting them. But I just had to be somewhat sensible- I have 100 worth of VC lying around. The challenge is to paint them to similar standard as the DE- have a fair bit to go though as the WIP pics show...
    Looking forward to seeing your stuff on the ToP[you're in right?].
    REALLY have to get to work.....
    thanks for looking- hope the VC will entice you in the future[when I get the hang of them] oh and I'm sure some DE will appear at some point- they have inspired me to have a crack at some of my eldar..
    Stu out.

Yep, I'm doing dark elves. Going to start slapping paint on properly tomorrow if I can pull my finger out and finish off the last 2 dark rider conversions for this batch of modelling.

I'm still having problems creating a scheme for the dark elf warriors that I like.

Good luck on the vamps. I think the issue with the cloth currently is that the washes go on a bit thick over a bright white and you get hard edges to the colours. If you use thinner coats or break the surface tension of the wash with a flow improver (I think some people use detergents too) then you'll get a more subtle blending effect. I think that's what is happening with the inks/ washes on the flat armour as well, my necrons went the same way.

Really nice stuff here, especially the Grave Guards. Nice work, keep it up

DK
    Quote Originally Posted by BigbyWolf View Post
    In a world where Morris Dancing exists, I shall never be embarrassed by my toy soldier collection.

Project of 2014: Warriors of Chaos

Cheers mrtn- yeah I love that model- that's what makes the army for me -having older models in it too. Think I'll try and get a few more bits and bobs too. I have a load of old stuff to be stripped for the next block of dwarfs- hopefully get round to doing them sometime soon.
    Death Korp - thanks for the support- hopefully the vc will improve as I spend abit more time on them.
    Gazak- interesting point on the flow improver..heres a pic of the grave guard from the side with no photoshopping maybe shows it a bit better cos it isn't too bad in fleshl[bones/shroud- what's the appropiate term for a wight?]. Still I like the sound of the flow improver- thanks for the tip.

Any better? Still haven't got to grips properly with the VC as i have had to get back to finishing the dwarfs Hopefully when these models are finished they will look abit better.

Oh and as is tradition the pet shot-
    Tink-

Angie-

Terrors of the tabletop and the source of hairs in my paint!!
    Last edited by silverstu; 15-07-2008 at 20:33. Reason: fix links

Right- I've finished the ToP!!! Here are the hammerers-

I could have spent a bit more time on them- buffing them up but I was losiing the will to live so they will have to do for now..

Here is the army in all it's glory...

That's the dwarfs done for now- there will be more- they are my grand army and I have loads of other models I'd like to add to this army. Some need stripped etc- there is the rest of the hammerers, rangers and miners. I have slayers, cannons, flame cannons, quarrellers,, an anvil and I need to add more warriors, Ironbreakers and another unit of longbeards. But I think that can all wait...

NEXT!!!

Next up- well I have to get a 40k army- although eldar are my main army- they are a b$tch to paint and I have made a pretty good start on my nids so i'll get a few of them done I think.
    Here are a few I'm working on -
    The rav needs a few more highlights, some detailing and a bit more basing-

after a little more work-

still a bit to do- plus he is going to need mates- otherwise first dhots of the game will be taking him down[the old -newly painted model gaming syndrome..]

This guy is also on the go- going to start his carapace soon-

Also have batches of gaunts and stealers to do and some more warriors- but these are good place to start.
    Last edited by silverstu; 15-07-2008 at 20:38. Reason: fix links

And of course working on my prep for the next Tale..

I have been adding stuff to old skellies to bring them closer to the standard of the new ones so i can use them to fill out units. I have been doing two things- adding alittle greenstuff- torn fabric for now, and adding some of the new plastics.-

This guy was rebased and I had a go adding fabric- basically I plan on doing a bit of converting- I want to fill out the skellie steeds I have with torn fabric and bit's of mail and armour to add the new plastic graveguard to. But that is way in the future..

This one had lost his head and arm so I added some of the new skellie bits and greenstuffed some cloth.

moe plans to come but that is where I am so far. I've yet to get my testers to satisfactory state- but now the dwarfs are done I should be able to focus on them more.
    I have some fiction fluff in mind for this army so i'll post that some time too.

thanks for looking,
    Stu.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast