Page 393 of 747 FirstFirst ... 293 343 383 391 392 393 394 395 403 443 493 ... LastLast
Results 7,841 to 7,860 of 14939

Thread: The Imperial Guard Tread-head thread

Chapter Master

Re: The Imperial Guard Tread-head thread

She looks jolly good, old boy!

This is the first thing I've managed in a while.

Too many tanks? Impossible!
    Historical log: WWI, Napoleonics, and (in time) sundry other things.
    40K & Historical on Photobucket
    Blog

Awesome work iPaint and MrP. P your bombard looks very industrial, bulldozer look with that yellow paint scheme.
    My IG and SM Project log:Mr Kibbles' Random log of Australian IG and Aboriginal SMs - now with finished Vaggu
    My Stories so far:
    The Garras War-A Story of Imperial Guardsmen and their trials in combat - now up to Chapter 4!

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kibbles View Post
    Awesome work iPaint and MrP. P your bombard looks very industrial, bulldozer look with that yellow paint scheme.
    Cheers, old boy! That'll work well when I finally come to paint up my Stormblade - I envision it as a heavy civilian vehicle some desperate chap's dumped a big gun on! However, that's the future. For today I have a Sally Command.

Blog

lovely blade indeed
    Rogal Dorn threw down his copy of overheat magazine and roared "They're not banana men, they're Imperial Fists!

Nice salamander
    My IG and SM Project log:Mr Kibbles' Random log of Australian IG and Aboriginal SMs - now with finished Vaggu
    My Stories so far:
    The Garras War-A Story of Imperial Guardsmen and their trials in combat - now up to Chapter 4!

Chapter Master

I have been looking for pictures to back up what appears to be becoming a regular thing with GW and FW tanks. I have several models recently that appear to have extra external fuel tanks or drums attached to the back. For example the Baneblade and Malcador. I have also seen numerous Chimera's and LM's with the same both in these foums and at my local GW store.

Now I am not saying this looks bad or anything and I have even found myself alomost instinctively following on and putting these on my models without actually thinking about it, probably just because eeryone else appears to e doing it.

However over the last week I have been thinking, is this right? I know that W40K is fictional and so a certain amount of licence has to be allowed and expected. But I have been looking through all my books on Armoured vehicles fro the first tanks and tractors of WW1 to the modern age and the only picture I can find of an actual tank sporting what appears to be an exra fuel tank is a T62, which the caption goes on to tell me was not a particularly sucessful model.

I cannot find any photographs showing an Brithish, American or even German tanks of any era (Except the one I mentioned above.) with external fuel tanks.

Maybe they just are not shown in the photographs or books that I have, but as I have a relativly large collection I find this hard to believe.

I just wondered if anyone else has foun this, or even considered it, or has any photos or referneces to tanks or other armoured vehicles sporting these accesories? Or are we just taking a little bit of artisctic licence in our models which is fine by me as long as I know the answer?

I find that the artistic license tends to outweigh the historical accuracy in this case, seeing as we are placing these tanks far out of context with the wars of the 20th century.

I know the Russian T-34 had several external fuel tanks, many of which were removed by the crews in the field, but here's a quick pic I found showing where they placed them:
    http://a10.idata.over-blog.com/0/39/.../t-34-85-3.jpg

Also, as far as the tanks themselves go, only the Baneblade has a wheel system that would be even somewhat functional in a conventional battlefield. All other IG tanks simply look like they'd be able to crawl over any terrain, yet the road wheels are flush with the armor plating that protects them - something I have never seen on a modern tank before. Also, the tracks themselves are a bit too narrow to support the weight of the tank.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done. - George Carlin
    My Blog: iPaint's Workbench
    40k: Arnan Imperial Guard | Howling Griffons | Dark Eldar | Da Deff Korps
    My App! Find The Gnomes

Anytime you introduce real physics to 40k, a kitten is sacrificed to Khorne.
    Grandfather Nurgle, I do beseech thee. Grant me thine H5N1 so that I may commute your pestilance daily. On locomotive and omnibus, in lecture and lab, in thy holy and pestilent name.... Achooo.

Evamade:---:FFN Profile:---:Zone Survival Guide:---:GameSoc/STOCS

Most Soviet tanks, from t-34 to t-80's had external fuel tanks, however the later ones had a system where they dropped of before combat to be picked up later.

Challengers and Challenger 2's also have external fuel tanks.
    I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rictus
    They look so cute like a fluffy kitten (with a turret mounted gun).
    My new log of Genestealer Cults and Scratch Building<----Click it, go on, you know you want to.

Chapter Master

Thanks for the replies and pictures. I guess it would make sence if they took the tanks off before combat. That was exactly what I was thinking. I know we are looking at the far future but I guess a fuel drum isa fuel drum whether it is now or in 38,000 years time. (unless they make them armoured as well which I doubt.)

I have also wondered about the wheels, although I am guessing the spring looki things on the LR are supposed to be suspension, but I did wonder how that waas going to work given that there is no ground clearance? Then I saw some of the photographs in here where people have placed the wheels down a little to give some room. I may do that, I have a squadron of Basalisks to make up in the next coupleof weeks, erhaps I should try it out and see what they look like. I am also thinking of giving them an enclosed top as well but we willhave to see how that goes and what i can come up with.

At te moment I am working on a couple of LR varients to act as wingmen (Wingtanks?) for my Shadowsword (That I have yet to make as well.) I want something that will look similar to an Grant / Lee so have mounted the battle cannon in the hull. I have use LR sides with the front hull from a Chimera so mounting the Multi laser in the small turret. I've then also scratch bulit the rear to mount a smaller (The one from the Baneblade sponson kit.) lascannon turret pointing backwards to give the all round protection look as I havnot put actual sponsons on the tanks. The engine bay kind of hangs out the rear abit but hopefully not enouh to spoil the effect. I'll try and post some pictures in the next day or two.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hrw-Amen View Post
    I have also wondered about the wheels, although I am guessing the spring looki things on the LR are supposed to be suspension...
    As has been mentioned a thousand times in this thread alone, those are tension springs. The giant nut on them would be backed off in order to replace track sections and such.

Quote Originally Posted by DartzIRL View Post
    Concur.

For scratch building what is the best option for track-links? I'm looking to build some LR equivalents, but want them to have some chunkier, more realistic looking tracks. I can scratch-build the body fine, it is just the tracks I am not keen on doing as it will take me an age. I also don't have the facilities to make masters and cast them.

There are some track-link kits at 1/48 and 1/35 on ebay, but they seem more expensive than full tank kits. I would consider a full kit just to use the tracks if it was cheap.

I've got plenty of LR and Chimera links in my bits box, but they are too small really.

So - any hot tips on where to source nice looking track-links?

Quote Originally Posted by surprize View Post
    For scratch building what is the best option for track-links? I'm looking to build some LR equivalents, but want them to have some chunkier, more realistic looking tracks. I can scratch-build the body fine, it is just the tracks I am not keen on doing as it will take me an age. I also don't have the facilities to make masters and cast them.

There are some track-link kits at 1/48 and 1/35 on ebay, but they seem more expensive than full tank kits. I would consider a full kit just to use the tracks if it was cheap.

I've got plenty of LR and Chimera links in my bits box, but they are too small really.

So - any hot tips on where to source nice looking track-links?
    You could try two runs of tracks side by side, like a US T28. It'd make it easier to use citadel tank wheels aswell.
    Grandfather Nurgle, I do beseech thee. Grant me thine H5N1 so that I may commute your pestilance daily. On locomotive and omnibus, in lecture and lab, in thy holy and pestilent name.... Achooo.

Evamade:---:FFN Profile:---:Zone Survival Guide:---:GameSoc/STOCS

Chapter Master

I thought that the tension springs those piston looking details towards the front of the hull, the ones with the little nut modeled onto it. I assumed they were for slackening off to change tracks etc as they are on both the Chimera and Leman Russ hulls. The ones I am talking about are the two side by side and are only on the Leman Russ. (The ones that have lost a lot of defintion in the new Demolisher and now just look like sets of paralell lines.) Maybe I am wrong?

Chapter Master Logarithm Udgaur's Avatar

Regarding the external fuel drums, modern tanks (the US ones anyway) are made to be able to function for a limited time completely engulfed in flame. I imagine that 40K tanks would have similar apparatus.
    Quote Originally Posted by spetswalshe View Post
    Nothing we can do could possibly top the epic failures already written in as canon, so knock yourself out.
    Necromunda Log Type Thing
    Cry 'Cheese,' and let slip the scrubs of war!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBigMr View Post
    Naga please.

would that limitedtime be until the bacon is done
    Rogal Dorn threw down his copy of overheat magazine and roared "They're not banana men, they're Imperial Fists!

Chapter Master Logarithm Udgaur's Avatar

Till the air runs out. It is actually quite comfortable, of course you have to make sure you dog all the hatches before being engulfed of the air will be suck out almost immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by spetswalshe View Post
    Nothing we can do could possibly top the epic failures already written in as canon, so knock yourself out.
    Necromunda Log Type Thing
    Cry 'Cheese,' and let slip the scrubs of war!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBigMr View Post
    Naga please.

Quote Originally Posted by DartzIRL View Post
    More kittens for the cat-god? (Basted, daugther of the Egyptian god Ra.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kren and Frep
    It's all fun and games until someone looses an eye...
    then it's fun and games without depth perception. - The Emperors Pointy Sticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max1mum
    So yes... we are the minority.
    A grumpy, ill manoured minority. I wouldn't want us around the happy kids to be honest, nor would I want half of us in a actual hobby center. Would spoil the vibe.

Chapter Master

Thankee, My Kibbles. Its fellow now:

Blog

Page 393 of 747 FirstFirst ... 293 343 383 391 392 393 394 395 403 443 493 ... LastLast