Thread: Andrea Flesh Paint Set

Andrea Flesh Paint Set

Does anyone have any experience using this? I picked one up and I have to say the instructions are a bit confusing. Are the shadows supposed to be used as washes or painted on? The instructions seem to indicate that they should be painted on although it's not specific. It seems like it would make more sense to use the dark shadow as the base coat and just build up from there instead of trying to paint on the shading.

Or am I just a bonehead and totally missing the point here?

Chaplain

Re: Andrea Flesh Paint Set

I've not used any of their paints, but from my understanding the way many of the andrea painters paint is that they paint on a base-coat and shade down by painting on really thin paint (not washes), and then they blend in the highlights over the mid-tone and the shade. The goal is to use paints so thin they are basically tinted water and apply many, many layers. My guess is that is what the guide is trying to convey.

Yeah that actually makes sense but it's not how this thing is written. The set comes with 6 paints, two bases (one for light skin, one for dark), 2 lights and 2 shadows.

The order that the instructions lay out is as follows:
    Base - 1st Light - 2nd Light - 1st Shadow - 2nd Shadow.

Like I said it just seems sort of counter-intuitive to do it that way. I've never tried painting on shades after all the highlights. I guess I'll just have to fiddle around with it and see what I can figure out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Yeah that actually makes sense but it's not how this thing is written. The set comes with 6 paints, two bases (one for light skin, one for dark), 2 lights and 2 shadows.

The order that the instructions lay out is as follows:
    Base - 1st Light - 2nd Light - 1st Shadow - 2nd Shadow.

Like I said it just seems sort of counter-intuitive to do it that way. I've never tried painting on shades after all the highlights. I guess I'll just have to fiddle around with it and see what I can figure out.
    its much easier to shade somehting than highlight if you want nice blending...sucessive washes for shading, is quite simple..thin your paint to a quite diluted state(same as glazing) and just shade the piece keeping in mind how light affects things

the reason they highlight first is because they dont require as much blending...or as many layers in most cases...and once you are done highlighting, you can glaze with the base colour to smoothen the edges..and then begin shading...its a quicker/smoother process

if you want a video example my sig has a link to miniature mentor videos that can help(the first one is the best, the wolf one)
    Last edited by Starks333; 12-05-2008 at 18:12.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just pave to play around with it and see how it goes.

Funny you mentioned that miniaturementor.com site. I've been looking at that for a while trying to decide if it's worth the money. It's not too expensive so I think I'll give it a spin sometime.

Banned

right now the only video i will recommend is the wolf one..the others have let me down so far

they cover the skin they do...just remember to extrapolate from the videos...do go, ok thats how exactly it should be done, they are just video examples basicly

the learning comes from you thinking and trying things

good luck, post work when you've tried, maybe even for assistance if needed