Page 1 of 155 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Solun's Tabletop & Board Game Miniatures

Solun's Tabletop & Board Game Miniatures

October 2017: Image links are broken from page 8 (post #140) to page 59 (post #1180) because I was using a free image link service for a long time.
    I'm currently working on reworking all the photos that have broken links. I'll change this paragraph as I fill them in and update the index post as well when I'm finished.

-- Index post updated January 2014 --

I've been painting and posting miniatures on warseer since the beginning of 2008, starting project logs for different ongoing army projects. Lately I've begun painting more one-off minis, boardgames and stuff that doesn't really fit into any one log. I also feel lousy about leaving some of my cherished threads to hang while I'm working on other projects. To simplify matters for myself and to have one proper place to put photos of any miniature that I paint I've merged all my threads into one. You can see which thread was originally being replied to in the title line of each post.

Here's an index into some of what's of interest in this log:

Chaos Space Marines

This has been my biggest project from the start, my first actual warhammer army and the one that gets me the most inspired to do conversions and special personal minis.
    Since I've long surpassed a tournament sized army I now give each model more time and try to make everything a little bit unique. As a result updates here have been super slow lately.
    There are two things mainly going on now. One is using the heads off the Fantasy Chaos Marauder Horsemen sprue, converted into Space Marine heads and helmets with wires, earpieces, bionic eyes, etc. added for 40K effect. The other is taking Rouge Trader era plastic Space Marines and converting them into Plague Marines. Sometime in the far far future they might make up their own tournament army.

My current Red & Bone Chaos Space Marines:

Daemon Allies:
    They grew - see Daemons of Nurgle below

Rogue Trader style Plague Marines (2008-2009):

My old Red & Black Chaos Space Marines (2008):

Daemons of Nurgle

This started out os allies for the CSM but quickly grew into an army of their own, which I brought to the 2013 ETC in Serbia.
    Mostly out of the box minis with no coversions, painted quickly with heavy washes and few colors, these are gaming minis first and foremost. With models numbering in the three digits they look so nice all massed up though.

Technicolor Orcs and Goblins

This is the army I've painted most for the last year or two. I want it to be painted to a fairly high standard using proper blending, NMM and really bright eye-catching colors. It's more or less conversion free and my focus is exlusively on painting them well.

Poisoned Arrow Stealers - Tyranid army

A super-speed paint army I started for a Tale of 40K Painters and also to make use of the old old Space Hulk Stealers. Took inspiration from nature, using patterns off of Blue Poison Dart Frogs on the stealers' backs. Still some to do there but sadly never seems of highest importance.

One-off pieces

I've done some one-off models and competition entries where I've tried to push my limits a bit. Here are a couple.

Board Games

This is my new favorite thing, board games with detailed miniatures. They're each a nice little (or big) confined project, and when you're done you're done (until that next expansion).

Last edited by Solun Decius; 28-10-2017 at 13:49.

Re: Finishing proper army - need encouragement!

-- Original first post --

Alright! I've put together 1500 points of Chaos Space Marines and made an Army list.
    I'm hoping that by posting this here I'll feel the need to update regularly and thus be encouraged to finish this as quickly as possible.
    When I finish I'll:
    1) have a 1500 point painted army to play proper tournaments.
    2) be able to continue with two awesome projects I've been looking forward to but don't want to spend time on until I have at least one proper army. (projects described in my introductory thread and they will be made into project logs too when this is finished).

I've taken a photo of each unit in my army. The half- and unpainted miniatures are obvious. All in all I have 13 unpainted Power Armored models, 5 unpainted Terminators and the Winged Lord which I will put extra effort into and hope it will pay off in quality.
    Also the Terminator Icon Champ isn't fully converted.

Chaos Lord
    - Wings
    - Mark of Khorne
    - Plasma Pistol
    - Power Fist

Chosen Chaos Space Marines (7)
    - Flamer
    - Melta Gun
    - Power Weapon
    - Twin Linked Bolter
    Chosen Champion (1)
    - Icon of Khorne
    - Power Fist

Chaos Terminators (2)
    Terminator Champions (3)
    - Icon of Khorne
    - Lightning Claws
    - Reaper Autocannon
    - Chainfist

Chaos Raptors (5)
    - Flamer
    - Melta Gun
    Raptor Champion (1)
    - Icon of Khorne
    - Lightning Claws

End of Part 1 - Part 2 will follow!
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-10-2017 at 18:07. Reason: Fixed broken image links

Part 2 - The Troops!

Chaos Space Marines (9)
    - Plasma Pistol
    - Melta Gun
    Aspiring Champion (1)
    - Power Weapon

Chaos Space Marines (5)
    - Plasma Gun

Chaos Havocs (8)
    - 2 x Heavy Bolter
    - 2 x Autocannon

Chaos Havocs (6)
    - Missile Launcher
    - Lascannon

I'll post new, better quality photos of the miniatures and units I finish as soon as that happens. I also have some better quality photos of some of the already finished ones and I'll put them in here soon too.
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-10-2017 at 18:09. Reason: Fixed broken image links

I'll save you from the dreaded double post lol!

Nice start to the army...any chance you could post a link to the intro of you other blogs?

The termie banner's HUGE!!!! Yet looks really good!

Great conversion work on the lord...that's gonna look awesome when painted!

Good luck!

Thanks man!

I haven't yet started other project logs here on Warseer but I have posted a couple finished model projects on Tha Bolter and Chainsword, most noteworthy of which is this one:
    http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/i...owtopic=133614
    I will expand that project into a full army but I have to finish this one first.

With the Termie banner/icon I was aiming for rediculously HUGE, yet Chaos and intimidating and not comic like. I hope I can pull that off when I finish modelling the Icon and painting the model.

Still waiting on the second half of my photos where the more regular troops are.

While I'm waiting I can reflect a bit on the Army List.
    I did not initially have a full army list and then begin to assemble models to fit that. Instead I assembled what I thought was cool from what I had, also using some Vanilla Marine bits I had. I Then realized I had put a bit too many special weapons on marines, stripped off some plasma pistols and basically only recently looked at what I had and how I could make it into 1500 points. I then assembles the last few models to fit that.
    I also want a list that is focused on Chaos Space Marines. I don't want to have a Demon Prince, even though it may be more powerful, point for point, than a Lord. I have a couple of Chaos Spawn that I have converted to look kick-ass but they also don't fit the feel of my army.
    The mark of Khorne is dominant in the elite units but I traded my Berzerkers and Posessed Marines (other than the bitz that can be seen here in conversions) for the same reason.

I began this project in december after not having been involved in GW stuff since the early 90's. Actually, in the years I was into this then I don't think I ever finished as many proper models as I now have in a few months. I certainly never finished an army and I'm now finally playing worthwile games of Warhammer 40K.
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-05-2008 at 11:06.

You've got some nice conversions and a good colour scheme going (I though they were Red Corsairs until I saw the Marks of Khorne, but it's just as good). Kudos for the good work on the Terminator's giant banner, and I like the matching helmets on the Raptors.

(you're not the only one without a finished army, I'm in the same situation still! )

*subscribed*
    http://circusofpaint.wordpress.com

Participating in the Tale of Age of Sigmar 2015 - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LokkoRex View Post
    ...seems like everything Mister Feral do turns 24-carat hobby gold.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feral
    You've got some nice conversions and a good colour scheme going (I though they were Red Corsairs until I saw the Marks of Khorne, but it's just as good). Kudos for the good work on the Terminator's giant banner, and I like the matching helmets on the Raptors.
    Yeah, the color scheme is similar to the Red Corsairs (I realized after I decided on a scheme, not that it matters) but while the Red Corsairs have red trims on the black armor plates and black trims on the red armor plates mine is a bit more random. The armor plates are either red or black but the trims are either gold or a kind of dirty brown/bone color. I want the armor to look a little dirty and haphazardly put together and maintained. I have a bunch of fluff in mind and I'll dump that somewhere when it has solidified more.

Not only are the Raptors' helmets matching but they are all complete Quintuplets. I even cut the knees off those one Mk VI legs in the assault squad box and green stuff modeled a new pair of kneepads for them to be Mk VII legs. Also the raptors seem a bit more interrested in maintaining their armor.

The Khorne Quints!

Chosen Champion

Just to post a few higher quality photos of some key models.
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-10-2017 at 18:20. Reason: Fixed broken image links

OK! More photos have come through.
    Now the first two posts have a photo of each unit in the army.
    The last post has a few more detailed photos.
    Feel free to comment on the models, paint-job or army list in any way you see fit.
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-05-2008 at 11:07.

Very cool looking army. I really like the chaos lord.

One down!
    Twelve to go.

While taking the photo I realized I forgot to highlight the brown part of his chest and left leg. That's a quick fix and it'll look similar to the shoulder pad trims.

Also I'll paint the bases of a few at a time so I'll leave them for now.

Next I intend to paint two more of these regular troops and finish the conversion on the Banner Termie. (Baby steps!)
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-10-2017 at 18:25. Reason: Fixed broken image links

Morning, Sir.

The winged dudes look really good, as all the other stuff does. I would kep them and add a lord on juggernaught. All you need is a spare berzerker and a sharp knife, and the beast. For 20 € its a really good piece of metal. The pose is cool, and if you lift up the fron it almost looks like its leaping towards the enemy. The spare bloodletter will in my case get a place in or on a tank.

Good stuff of yours

keep my eye on this

Cheers,
    Bart
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
    \m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

Top of the morning to you too!

I'll definitely do the Juggernaut Lord. I might try to have it equally costly as the Winged Lord so the are interchangable in the 1500 points. Lightning Claw and Twin Linked Bolter spring to mind. Or Power Weapon and Plasma Pistol. Anyway...

First things first though! This army must be finished as is and ASAP!

Thanks!

1500 points of Chaos - Countdown: 16 models unpainted

Update!

So I finished painting them up, did the bases and everything and inspected them thoroughly. Then after taking the photos and editing them I'm looking at them now and realize that I forgot the skull on the rightmost dude's right knee. Always something :cries:

Marines: 3 finished, 10 not.
    Termies: 0 finished, 5 not.
    Lord ... not!

Feel free to count the specks on my camera's sensor
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-10-2017 at 18:31. Reason: Fixed broken image links

Did a quick Khorne Icon for the Termie Champ. I have to wait for it to dry before I can straighten the edges and do the surface properly.

It's still good enough to get the feel for the whole mini, if it's working like this.
    Maybe it needs a little something for detail lower on the banner pole.

C&C welcome.
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-10-2017 at 18:31. Reason: Fixed broken image links

Re: 1500 points of Chaos - Countdown to completion

Finished the Icon with some straighter edges, battle damage, shacks and bolts and wires. Tidied up the banner a bit as well.

What I lack in modeling skill I'm hoping to make up for when I paint it.

If I don't get any brilliant ideas for adding detail to this banner then I guess this it for assembling and modelling this army and there'll be only painting from now on.

Don't be shy, tell me what I need to hear. Good or bad!
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-10-2017 at 18:35. Reason: Fixed broken image links

whoa i like that icon so much, keep it going!

I think it's great! The only thing I can point out is the fingermarks on the banner, but the paintjob should cover that one up.
    Last edited by Mr Feral; 11-03-2009 at 15:28.
    http://circusofpaint.wordpress.com

Participating in the Tale of Age of Sigmar 2015 - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LokkoRex View Post
    ...seems like everything Mister Feral do turns 24-carat hobby gold.

That termi banner is massive! I like how the raptors all have the same helmets make them look unified. Also like the spikes coming out of the chest armour never seen anyone do that before. GOOD STUFF!!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Shoes are nice but not necessary. Motivation, bullets and powder first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad_wolf01 View Post
    it aint called whineseer for nothing

Pfew! I thought I could do 3 more marines today but that was rather optimistic. Still making progrees though!

Quote Originally Posted by khazgar View Post
    whoa i like that icon so much, keep it going!
    Thanks! Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feral View Post
    I think it's great! The only thing I can point out is the fingermarks on the banner, but the pantjob should cover that one up.
    Yeah, I evened the surface out a bit but decided the marks were now shallow enough to be fixable if I lay the primer on a bit thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloryseeker View Post
    That termi banner is massive! I like how the raptors all have the same helmets make them look unified. Also like the spikes coming out of the chest armour never seen anyone do that before. GOOD STUFF!!
    Thanks! I did try to make the Raptors all look the same and I think it makes them kind of a special unit. Since they are made from Vanilla assault marines I needed to make them a bit chaotic without going overboard with bits and junk. The spikes in the chest made the torso a bit different from just being a plain jump pack torso but still kept a distinct unified look. The blades on the leg armor are actually made from 10 of the same type of chainsword and as I said earlier I remodeled the knees on the flamer raptor to match the other 4.

The banner is now actually so massive I had to put a rather large coin into the base at the opposite side and fill the rest up with green stuff for it to stand without tipping over.

Thank you everyone for looking. I'll have more here soon. I might actually play a game of 40K tomorrow night so I wont get as much painting done then ... a shame!

No progress since last time, still have 3 half painted marines on my desk.
    I did however use what models I have to fight a 1000 pts battle last night.
    For those who get bored easily I have a title for each paragraph so you don't have to read my rambling if it doesn't interest you. Photos follow.

I'm a big fan of WYSIWYG and painted armies so I made an army of what I had painted, exactly as it is. (I'm no fascist, I'll be dissapointed if I play a proxy armie or shiny horde of pewter and plastic but I'll keep quit and enjoy the game nonetheless).

- Army description (Chaos)
    I used the Raptor Champion as a Lord, the role he was originally built for, which left the raptors rather more weak with no champion or power weapon at all. I had one Havoc unit with all the Heavies I had painted and mixed up the regular troops a bit (with the addition of a Champion with Power Fist and Plasma Pistol, who is painted with a mark of Nurgle on his shoulder and is therefor not viable for this army on a regular basis). The chosen squad was similar to what i intend, seeing that their main punch lies in the Champion and the Khorne icon he carries.
    Only thing not WYSIWYG was the fact that no raptor was actually holding an Icon but the melta dude counted as a Khorne Icon Bearer. This way I had 999 points of properly painted models and only an extremely slight WYSIWIG cheat.

- Army description (Xenos scum)
    The opponent: Tau!
    Crisis suit commander with 2 shield drones
    2 fire warrior units, 11 and 12 strong
    10 Kroots
    3 Stealth suits
    6 Vespid stingwings
    2 crisis suits
    2 Broadsides with railguns and stuff

- Deployment

We rolled for the mission and got Table Quarters.

Tau player chose table side and Crisis suits started in reserve for Deep Strike.
    I basically took the majority of my force as close to the center as possible. Kroots, Stealth suits and Chosen infiltrated. it looked like this:

- Turn 1

Tau first turn. Vespids advanced into that concrete bunker (3+ cover) and not much other movement. Everything fired at what they could. Stealth suits come from behind cover, near the barbed wire fences, shoot, then retreat back into cover. Concealment has it's effect on the shooting phase. All in all, 3 casualty from the regular CSM squads.

Chaos first turn. All of my army advances towards the Kroot flank, except for one CSM squad, with plasma gun, which heads towards the Stealth suits, and the havoc squad, which stands still and shoots diagonally over the field at the fire warrior unit near the Crisis Commander ... kills some. Chosen rapid fire at Kroots which in turn (and at under half streangth) fail their leadership and flee.

- Turn 2

Tau second turn. A strong turn for tau. One Crisis suit Deep strikes into Cahos Deplyment zone and begins to pick at the havocs and flee into cover. Fire Warriors (after advancing into rapid fire range) and Broadside shoot the Chosen to Pieces and Stealth Suits kill at least one more CSM from the Plasma Gun squad. Vespids jump out of the Concrete bunker and shoot at Raptor squad, only managing to kill one Raptor, then charge (in order not to be charged).

Chaos second turn. Maybe an even stronger turn for Chaos. Plasma gun CSM squad goes into the barbed wire, not knowing how they'll get anything done before they are mowed down. Manage to kill one Stealth Suit though. Winged Lord and Chosen advance towards, fire at and then Charge the Fire Warrior squad at the tau players left flank. CSM squad with Power Fist Champ charge into the already ongoing combat between Vespids and Raptors. Havocs shoot across the field at Fire Warriors, killing two and leaving the unit now at half strength. Both CC's end with the utter destruction of Tau units, consolitadion used to advance forward, Lord takes cover from Broadside (I know ... it's Khorne, what was I thinking?).

- Turn 3

Tau third turn. Remaining Fire Warriors and Broadside shoot at the remains of the Chosen, killing all but the Champion who fails leadership and begins running. Other Broadside kill all but the Plasma gun wielding CSM in the barbed wire which also fails leadership and runs off the table. Stealth Suits fire at Raptors, killing one, before going back into cover. First Crisis suit keeps picking at the havocs and running for cover.

Chaos Third turn. Lord returns to broadside for the Charge, Chosen Champ keeps running really slowly across the field. Raptors cross the field towards the Stealth suits while CSM move in between buildings towards the Fire Warriors. Havocs don't have targets so they nugde a little bit with a 2" difficult terrain roll. Lord trashes Broadside and Massavre Moves towards Chaos Deployment Zone, hoping to have time to catch up with that pestering Crisis suit. Raptors terminate Stealth suits and Consolidate into cover.

- Second Half Follows...
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-10-2017 at 18:48. Reason: Fixed broken image links
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Page 1 of 155 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast