Page 2 of 155 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Solun's Tabletop & Board Game Miniatures

Re: 1500 points of Chaos - Countdown to completion

...Part 2

- Turn 4

Tau fourth turn. Second Crisis suit deep strikes in, is placed in a safe distance from everything in the Quarter where the Chosen started and the Chaos Lord is now, hoping to catch the Lord between Rapid fire from Fire Warriors and itself. Scatter Dice redefine "safe distance" with double 6's and an arrow pointing straight at the nearest table edge. Ended about 2" off the table. Not much of interrest happens but Crisis Commander moves closer to Broadside to ward off Raptors. Braodside kills a Havoc.

Chaos fourth turn. Raptors jump in between Crisis Commander and Broadside. Lord Jumps towards Deployment zone to help out havocs. CSM walk towards Fire Warriors for the Charge. Havocs fire at Broadside getting one proper Missile Launcher hit, 1 wound. Raptors fire at Broadside, Melta scores wound, Broadside annihilated. CSM go in for the charge and Kill all but one fire warrior which flees.

Pestering little Crisis suit. you can also see the Chosen chump trying to flee towards the deployment zone. Lord behind house, coming towards it aswell.

- Turn 5

Tau fifth turn. The battle is basically lost but Crisis Commander goes for one last heroic move and Charges the Raptors. As the have no power Weapon, and he has 2 chield drones, he might stand a chance. Kills one Raptor, making unit less than half strength, loses one Shield drone.

Chaos fifth turn. Havocs move a bit in towards the Crisis suit, as does the Lord. Not much range or LOS so nothing happens. CSM with Power Fist Champ Charge into Crisis Commander and Raptors and finish him off. He still got his attacks as the last wound was inflicted by the Champion.

- Turn 6

Tau sixth Turn. Crisis suit moves in for last attempt at killing Lord with Rapid fire Plasma Rifle. Two Plasma Wounds and a failed armor save would do the trick ... but that doesn't happen. Instead he can't bail out of Jump unit charge range.

Chaos Sixth Turn. CSM hold Tau Deployment Quarter for 500 points. Havocs move over to the adjacent Quarter for an extra 250 but at the same time give Tau the chance of an extra 500 if the Lord can't deliver. Can he deliver ???

Behold!

More painting later, sorry for the off topic junk!
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-10-2017 at 18:45. Reason: Fixed broken image links

great battle report, and a really awesome looking army!

Cheers

Ridiculously large icon, I love it ! Great, crisp painting, keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassarus View Post
    great battle report, and a really awesome looking army!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
    Ridiculously large icon, I love it ! Great, crisp painting, keep up the good work.
    Thanks guys. I´m really looking forward to painting that Icon Bearing Terminator. Gotta finish some more Marines first though.

Played some Combat Patrol tonight, massacred an Ork Horde. I still found some time in between to do some highlights. Those three halfpainted chosen are getting closer to completion, woo!

Finally I got these three finished.

I now have 7 marines and 5 termies left ... and the Lord.
    Gotta descend down to the dungeon and get those marines primed.

In order to further push this project on I signed this army up for a local tournament 4 weeks from now, at Sunday, the 22nd of June.

Finishing 13 models in four weeks shouldn't be that hard but I still want to give the Termies enough attention to paint them up as well or better than the Raptors. The Lord really needs to stand out, so that'll take a while too.

Wish me luck!
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-10-2017 at 18:51. Reason: Fixed broken image links

Banned

Damn looks good, any chance of a shot of your lord from the sides and back?

Very nice! I like the way the colour placement switches between models, and the blue swishy effect on the power weapon is nice.
    http://circusofpaint.wordpress.com

Participating in the Tale of Age of Sigmar 2015 - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LokkoRex View Post
    ...seems like everything Mister Feral do turns 24-carat hobby gold.

great work, I really like this blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Satone View Post
    Damn looks good, any chance of a shot of your lord from the sides and back?
    Thanks. I didn't think more shots of the lord were interresting while it's not painted properly but I'll snap a couple next time I've got the camera set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feral View Post
    Very nice! I like the way the colour placement switches between models, and the blue swishy effect on the power weapon is nice.
    Thank you man. Yeah, I think randomizing the color selection on the armor plates and trims sort of gives a little extra detail to the army when you look at it as a whole.
    The blue effect switching sides of tha blade over the diagonal lines was sort of stolen from another forum thread somewhere. Too bad I can't find it to give credit. I changed it a bit and want it to look like electricity running/scrolling the length of the blade.

great work, I really like this blog!
    Thanks. Please keep checking the updates.

I've got 7 more marines primed now. I'm gonna try to put some proper time into this tomorrow!

I made OK progress on the last 7 marines last weekend, although I find it hard to concentrate through 5+ model assembly-line painting. I just end up kind of painting random colors on random marines, going back and forth through the models and the paint pots, so I don't end up saving much time at all.

Anyway, I got little sidetracked and assebled a Rhino. Also primed it and painted the interior so I could glue it together.

I decided to leave everything black except the particular pieces of detail. That way they would stick out more when it's being looked at, since it will be sort of dark in there. I also left alot of black in the recesses of the gargoyle heads and tried to get strong contrast into the highlighting, rather than a smooth blend. A smooth blend wouldn't really cut through in a dimly lit place like that.

And here it is all glued, except the left outer door which I will glue ajar so you can see the interior through the smashed inner door.

I've got the gold and the red and brown base coats on the marines. It shouldn't be long until they are done.

In the meantime I'd appreciate public opinion on two things:

1. I'll paint the main part of the Rhino's armor red and black, like the marines. I'm just not sure how to split it and which color should be more dominant. What to do, what to do ??

2. I was thinking about painting the Lord's armor almost entirely in a light brownish bone style color, similar to the right shoulder pads and the knee caps of the Raptors. I guess I'm looking for either "Wow, great idea!" or "Oh noes!!! Dude totally HAS to be red and black like the rest of them!"

Thanks for looking and happy painting!
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-10-2017 at 19:02. Reason: Fixed broken image links

1. If you look at how GW have painted their Red Corsair Veichles, you should do it like theirs, except paint the doors black, to keep in the 'lots of black' theme.

2. I think it would work better if you painted him the same as the rest of your army, but adding some browny bits too to him like the raptors would be awsome.

Nice painting!

DK
    Quote Originally Posted by BigbyWolf View Post
    In a world where Morris Dancing exists, I shall never be embarrassed by my toy soldier collection.

Project of 2014: Warriors of Chaos

Veteran Sergeant HaraldurTrausti's Avatar

Your marines are coming along nicely. I really like what you've done with interior in the rhino. Keep up the good work. =)

Chapter Master

These marines are fantastic. Very inspiring, especially as I have a deadline myself (the end of the week)!
    Quote Originally Posted by The pestilent 1 View Post
    Did Apple kill your parents and burn down your village or something?
    My Brute

Veteran Sergeant Loketh Latheliu's Avatar

Great looking army! I wish you luck getting that banner in a transport case.
    BLOOD FOR KHAINE'S CUP!!! Cheers.

Proper update time!
    But first thing first:

Quote Originally Posted by Death Korp View Post
    1. If you look at how GW have painted their Red Corsair Veichles, you should do it like theirs, except paint the doors black, to keep in the 'lots of black' theme.
    I checked that out. Think I might actually go for something close to an invertion on that. Main hull black but beveled areas and details red.
    'Lots of black' was also not intentional, it was supposed to be more 'random red-black'. Looking at this latest batch of marines these particular models actually have 'lots of red' in them. They are also not Red Corsairs. They do have red and black main armor colors but the minis are not limited to these two colors, with golden, brownish and metal trims and such (I have to give my army a name and some fluff in order to stop ranting about them not being red corsairs ).
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Korp View Post
    2. I think it would work better if you painted him the same as the rest of your army, but adding some browny bits too to him like the raptors would be awsome.
    Thanks for the input. I guess have 'till I finish the Termies to decide on this. Would be nice to get more input from the peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by HaraldurTrausti View Post
    Your marines are coming along nicely. I really like what you've done with interior in the rhino. Keep up the good work. =)
    Thanks! Will do. And you can come check it out locally at Nexus on the day of the tournament (since we seem to be in the same general part of the world).

Quote Originally Posted by Raellos View Post
    These marines are fantastic. Very inspiring, especially as I have a deadline myself (the end of the week)!
    Thank you very much, and good luck on the Legion!

Quote Originally Posted by Loketh Latheliu View Post
    Great looking army! I wish you luck getting that banner in a transport case.
    Uh ... yeah, that! ... doo, doodoo ... I guess I'll have to designate a rather big area of foam to that single model. That, however, depends on me actually getting myself a proper army case and giving up on the old shoebox (not recommended)

And now for the real thing
    I decided to take four of the half-finished marines and push them over the finish line last night (with the proper assembly line method, no less). Three would have been safer and given me a proper nights sleep but this way there's less left.
    I threw this picture together after 1 o'clock this morning but I think I'll make a higher resolution, closer one of the marines with bionic eyes. I'm really pleased with those two.

This means:
    10 marines down, 3 left.
    Then 5 Termies and a Lord!

As always, thanks for looking and feel free to rant on my thread.
    The two questions above still stand!
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-10-2017 at 19:07. Reason: Fixed broken image links

Great work, as usual Solun Decius!
    I just can't wait to see those terminators painted.. Might just be that I desperately wants to get some own termies to play with

Cheers

Great work, as usual Solun Decius!
    I just can't wait to see those terminators painted.. Might just be that I desperately wants to get some own termies to play with
    Yeah! I'm really itching to get them into battle myself. They'll really give proper variety to the army.

I've got nothing new but i wanted to put higher resolutioin images of those last marines. More resolution is actually not that flattering to my painting skills but I just really liked those bionic eye models.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and post a close up. All it really shows is my sloppy highlighting of the black armor and backpack but I think the face and helmet came out pretty nice. Bear in mind that you are viewing this around tenfold the miniature's actual height.

Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    1. I'll paint the main part of the Rhino's armor red and black, like the marines. I'm just not sure how to split it and which color should be more dominant. What to do, what to do ??

2. I was thinking about painting the Lord's armor almost entirely in a light brownish bone style color, similar to the right shoulder pads and the knee caps of the Raptors. I guess I'm looking for either "Wow, great idea!" or "Oh noes!!! Dude totally HAS to be red and black like the rest of them!"
    Just to repeat myself if anybody has an opinion
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 16-10-2017 at 22:39. Reason: Fixed broken image links

Very clean work. Great painting and an visually effective scheme.
    The Harrowed: My Demon Army's Warseer project log

Don't worry, you're painting holds up well with the hi-res close-ups. The only thing I would say is that the gold looks a bit flat, so an ink wash or something might sort that one out.
    http://circusofpaint.wordpress.com

Participating in the Tale of Age of Sigmar 2015 - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LokkoRex View Post
    ...seems like everything Mister Feral do turns 24-carat hobby gold.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    Very clean work. Great painting and an visually effective scheme.
    Don't worry, you're painting holds up well with the hi-res close-ups.
    Thanks guys. I appreciate hearing (uh...reading!) that, although I feel I have to practice some blending for gradient highlights. Not that I'm not happy with the extreme yellow straight on orange and red highlight. It makes the helmets look sharp and looks rather nifty on the tabletop.

The only thing I would say is that the gold looks a bit flat, so an ink wash or something might sort that one out.
    Yeah, the gold is just shining gold straight on, counting on the metallic paint to do it's own thing. I need to do tests for some more rugged looking gold and bronze.

Thanks, everyone, for looking. Opinions always enjoyed.
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Page 2 of 155 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast