Page 3 of 155 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Solun's Tabletop & Board Game Miniatures

Re: 1500 points of Chaos - Countdown to completion

No paint but I felt the Icon Termie was somewhat lacking. That long pole seemed a little plain so I added some ornaments around the "handle". The top of the pole was also rather unimpressive. I think he's ready now but I won't prime him just yet.

I also based all of the termies and drilled out the barrels. These three are just waiting for the spray can of black doom.

Since I had the green stuff and termie action going on I decided to do a little work on my Nurgle Lord. He'll be part of another army that I've put on hold until I finish this project. I guess I can consider this a teaser for my next project log:

This project is admittedly rather low on conversions, since the goal is getting 1500 pts ready on time. The next one, however, will be anything but!
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 17-10-2017 at 22:54. Reason: Fixed broken image links

I love that banner, awesome work there!
    And ah, going over to the right side finally, good looking nurgle lord, but I think the head needs some nurglification.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Cassarus View Post
    And ah, going over to the right side finally, good looking nurgle lord, but I think the head needs some nurglification.
    Haha! Actually my affiliation has always been with Grandpa Nurgle. I made my Plague Marine squad first thing when I started 40K again last year. After working on this army as a semi-unmarked/mixed army I decided I had to give proper homage to old Pap N! I'd take this army to the fast 1500 and then take my time to do an all converted, pure Nurgle Marked army. That is, however, more of a long term plan

The GS on the Lord is still WIP. If I do more than 2 or 3 areas at once I always stick my fingers in one that is ready and ruin it. I'll definetly do something on the head but my GS skills aren't good enough to risk ruining the face on that great model but I will carefully select pestilent colors for the paint job on the skin!
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 05-06-2008 at 12:16.

Veteran Sergeant HaraldurTrausti's Avatar

Woah! Those terminators look really cool. I really like the 'tail?' on the Lord! Keep up the good work! =)

Nice Green Stuff work there SD, must....resist....Terminators....

The Nurgle Lord is an interesting concept as well, I'm intrigued by the Space marine corpse and the connecting pipe. Do you have any particular colour scheme in mind?
    http://circusofpaint.wordpress.com

Participating in the Tale of Age of Sigmar 2015 - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LokkoRex View Post
    ...seems like everything Mister Feral do turns 24-carat hobby gold.

Thanks mr. Feral!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feral View Post
    Do you have any particular colour scheme in mind?
    I'll paint the lord in the same color scheme as the Plague marines I have already done. It's a sort of whithered brownish color with green gore flowing over in places. Here are some photos of the one complete Squad:

(broken links removed)
    Champion and special weapons
    Plain ol' Plaguies
    Whole squad!

I have a full box set of 30 of those twenty year old models still on sprues that I got off ebay. That'll be the bulk of my Nurgle force along with a heavily converted old style (Mk I) Land Raider and some Rhinos.
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 17-10-2017 at 22:57.

You're using the old Beakies? Excellent!

For the paint scheme I might suggest you add a dash of purple for a few details, does wonders when used with a deep green colour like yours.
    Last edited by Mr Feral; 05-06-2008 at 14:16.

You're using the old Beakies? Excellent!

For the paint scheme I might suggest you add a dash of purple for a few details, does wonders when used with a deep green colour like yours.
    Hah! Yeah, Nurgle beakies FTW!
    I think I should try to get the hang of proper purple guts and stuff. If you look at the Flamer and Plasma gun models they have some gut wounds and bones sticking out with purple patches of flesh, drybrushed over with Rotting Flesh. Rather crude paintjob there but I should probably work more purple and maybe more of the green color into later models.
    The Lord is also a more detailed model than my converted plague marines so the paint job and color scheme on him will have to be more complex.

Thanks everyone for checking this out. Feel free to comment.

Not much new but I just love how models look when thay are primed. No color difference between different plastics, GS, pewter and sand. The models sort of become whole. I threw a few objective markers in since I had the spray can up anyway.

I then went on to use a whole paint session to do this:

A single head!

I think I got the color scheme that I had in mind right but maybe the paint job isn't smooth enough. Then again, this photo is blown out of proportion so you can see detail that can't be seen easily on the model in real life.
    However, I do want this to look like a mutated helmet rather than an actual demon face.
    How do you guys see it in regards to that and what could i do to improve it?

I suddenly felt like this photo had to be taken. It's my "portable" paint setup so I can be closer to actual people. Sitting alone in the dugeon gets sort of tired. I think there are a few things in this photo that can set off nostalgic trips in people over a certain age.

I think I'll be free to do quite some painting this weekend so I'm hoping to finish some Termies. If I don't, I'm afraid my "1500 points by June 22nd" mark may be jeopardized!
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 17-10-2017 at 23:05. Reason: Fixed broken image links

mmm, old land raider and those old paint that never dried up, ah the memories.
    and good work on the head, looks really sweet!

cheers

Nice blending on the Terminator face, it should look great when finished. I don't have any massive suggestions on how to make it look more like a helmet, except to perhaps try and blend in the helmet colour in the reccesses of the face.

I'm intriuged by your objective markers, particualrly the one on the far left. Can we get some close-ups of those?

A little progress on the Termie Champ.

mmm, old land raider and those old paint that never dried up, ah the memories.
    Yes! Never dried up as in "Picked them up at my parents' storage room where they had been unused for around 15 years and started painting." I think 2 out of 40 or 50 pots were dried up. Only paint I've bought since I started painting again is Chaos Black and Skull White 'cos I wanted to make sure I had clean ones. Also bought a bunch of Chaos Black primer

I'm intriuged by your objective markers, particualrly the one on the far left. Can we get some close-ups of those?
    Yessiree! From left to right: Chaos Trophies, Life Support, Weapon Supply and "Chosen Armor".

OK, I made a little progress on the Icon Bearing Termie. When doing special models like this it feels intuitive to completely finish parts of it rather than do base colors first, then 1st highlight on whole model etc. etc. Hence the completely unpainted arms and black areas.

I'm doing three stage highlights on some of the metallics for the first time and experimenting with blending a bit. The metallics are much more interesting here than the flat gold and flat boltgun metal that I have been doing lately. I hope I can finish it tomorrow and get the full effect of what I believe is very much improved painting.

Question: Should I finish the red areas off with a sharp yellow highlight on corners like I've been doing on the marines?
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 17-10-2017 at 23:16. Reason: Fixed broken image links

Yes ,yes ,yes, looking great .Best chaos army I've seen in ages and the conversions are absolutaly stunning .Great work keep it going.
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143656
    "Sons of Odin - Guardians of Asgaard"
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214449
    Purgers of Purity ......emperors children
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321316
    Titan Wolfe's little side tracks

Very nice, the blending has worked out well. Great objective markers too!

As to answer your question, do it! (please?)

Veteran Sergeant HaraldurTrausti's Avatar

Wow, your icon bearer is coming along nicely. I think the red is good as it is and doesn't need the highlight.. but that's just me. =)

great painting!
    well try the highlight out on him and show us!?!

The banner (and bearer) and Lord are extraordinary. Very well done. And I love the chosen army mini as well.
    Too bad you don't have time for a lot of fancy conversions on this army. Those you have here are working really well.
    The Harrowed: My Demon Army's Warseer project log

A real actual proper update. Still have 4 termies, 3 power armors and the Lord left. But this dude is a huge piece to have gotten out of the way (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Wolfe View Post
    Yes ,yes ,yes, looking great .Best chaos army I've seen in ages and the conversions are absolutaly stunning .Great work keep it going.
    Wow! Thanks. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Your kind words inspired me to actually stick to it today and finish that Icon Bearer so I had something worth answering with

Very nice, the blending has worked out well. Great objective markers too!

As to answer your question, do it! (please?)
    Quote Originally Posted by HaraldurTrausti View Post
    Wow, your icon bearer is coming along nicely. I think the red is good as it is and doesn't need the highlight.. but that's just me. =)
    great painting!
    well try the highlight out on him and show us!?!
    Thanks guys! I decided to go for the yellow highlight but to be very careful with it. I think it came out really well. It's a lot less prominent than on the Raptors. It's still always the most scary part of painting each model. There's nothing you can ruin a good model with like a misplaced glob of bright yellow!

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    The banner (and bearer) and Lord are extraordinary. Very well done. And I love the chosen army mini as well.
    Too bad you don't have time for a lot of fancy conversions on this army. Those you have here are working really well.
    Thanks man! The fact that there are so many models straight out of the box is actually the reason it's even possible for me to have an army. Otherwise I'd be lost in making decisions about cutting and glueing or worse yet, would've given up already. This way I can play nice looking games and get feedback and encouragement from game buddies.

Thank you all for kind words.
    Now I'm going to need some actual C&C
    There are many things I'm really happy with. Better blending than I've ever done and great metallics IMO.
    However, there are some things where I'm just at a loss! The banner pole, banner and icon. I just wasn't inspired when I was doing that. The power weapon parts of the lightning claws are OK but not exactly as I imagined them.
    If you see other stuff thet's not working out please point it out. This is the best I've ever done but I want to keep improving so I wont be offended if you point stuff out.
    I also haven't decided on the freehand on the banner so it's just a hanging piece of ... uh ... leather?

I like hearing it if you like my stuff but don't be shy to be critical. I need ideas to improve.
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 17-10-2017 at 23:21. Reason: Fixed broken image links

I simply love it!
    You've made an awesome paint job so far!

Cheers

Solun your work is to be commended,very impressed .A whole army to this standard will look amazing ,though from time to time will become a total pain.......stick with it my friend ,will be well worth it in the end.
    Last edited by Titan Wolfe; 09-06-2008 at 00:09. Reason: miss spell
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143656
    "Sons of Odin - Guardians of Asgaard"
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214449
    Purgers of Purity ......emperors children
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321316
    Titan Wolfe's little side tracks

Page 3 of 155 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast