Page 69 of 153 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 3057

Thread: Solun's Tabletop & Board Game Miniatures

Fully Painted Mansions of Madness set

My friends and I just finished a really amazing painting project. Fantasy Flight games recently released the Cthulhu mythos game Mansions of Madness and I knew my kid brother (23 years old) really wanted it. It also has 32 miniatures in the box so I figured it would look much better painted. However, painting up 24 monsters and 8 characters is a whole lot of work and I'd likely zone out and not finish it if I tried.

So this is how it was done:
    Me, my older brother and three of my little brother's friends bought the game a month before his birthday, assembled it, put sand on the bases and made a plan to finish it as a birthday present.
    There's a catch though: I'm a miniature painter and my older brother painted some when he was a teenager. The other three guys had never touched it in their lives.

We sat down and made decisions on colors and the feeling for each monster and then I decided what color to use as a base, and what to wash with. All our shades had to be applied as washes in order for the less experienced painters to be able to to it quickly and neatly. Then they each did base coats and washes on different figures while I did highlights and details.

We wanted this to look really good, so no drybrushing or thick base coats. We watered the paints down so we needed 3-4 coats of base colors. Obviously this took some time but as I was the only one doing highlights anyway it was OK for the other 4 to spend time making the base coats look great.

So here are some overview photos of the game and all the figures.

So on his birthday my older brother and I summoned him to my house and had the game all set up. He was surprised to see his three friends there too, and then we just got right into the game. Needless to say: best birthday present ever!

If mods think this is better suited elsewhere it's OK to move it, but this isn't really a project log, as the project is already finished. Also it's 1920's horror so it's really neither sci-fi nor fantasy.

I'm going to take and upload closer photos of each of the figures and post them here as they're ready, along with descriptions of how we did them and why we chose the colors we chose.
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Commander

Re: Fully Painted Mansions of Madness set

oh man

that's really cool that you guys did that

also

That's a great game

Re: Solun Tackles Sanity - Technicolor Night Gobbos en Masse

Thanks guys!

@Little Joe: Thanks man!
    @Lord Smoodo: - Yeah, who'd have thought?
    @Dante blackfur: Thanks so much!
    @StrangeGuy: Wow! Glad you read through the whole thing. I appreciate it very much

OK, so here's the BSB finished, apart from the possibility of freehand on the banner. It really isn't much of a banner without it but I'm not in the freehand mood just now.

And the project I've been working on for the past month now has it's own thread: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300078

Me and my brother and three of my other brother's friends painted up the whole Mansions of Madness set for my little brother's birthday. The interesting part is that I'm the only miniature painter in the group. Still looks pretty good I think.

I'll be updating that thread with closeups of each of the minis as I finish the photos.

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

I like the paintjob. One issue I feel I should mention though:

Your Shoggoth are different colours. Their stats are different, and you have to select one at random when you place one. You can fix this by rolling a dice, of cause, but I felt I should bring it up.

Yeah, i'm in love.

What's the game like? Is it worth dropping 60 on?
    I'm just surprised i remembered my old log in details.

The game is good fun, the pieces and board are great. I like it much more than Arkham horror.

Its also surprisingly more re-playable than you would expect.

Great paint job Solun !!

Well, there's only one thing I can say. I wish I had a brother.
    What you did was great. Now I am waiting for closup pictures.
    My plog: Arkanus O&G plog - Mean & green - Last foto update: April, 6th 2012 - Skarsnik

That is one awesome birthday present. I have two brothers and yet they have failed to provide me with something that cool.
    *jealous*

Nice set. Really brilliant birthday present. Big question, how fun is it? My group has been eying it, but Im not throwing down the cash unless it is super fun.
    My Plog of Random Fantasy Stuff! http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...=230428&page=8The Everqueen, Orcs, and more!

The Tale of Terrain Builders! If you aren't in it, you should be. If you are and haven't posted, shame on you!
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...83#post5378983

Commander

Great work!

Happy Birthday to your Brother

@mbh1127: Thanks man! Yeah, I think it was pretty great
    @xxRavenxx: Yes, that is an issue, and would be even though they were the same color, as you can always see some difference. We'll just have to slide the cards out of the bases between games and randomize them, I guess.
    @Jedi152: Heh, I think it's pretty fun, and it's so much more immersive with painted minis. The minis alone are worth paying a lot for the game too.
    @Steam_Giant: Thanks man! Yeah, I think it's pretty re-playable, even with the whole keeper/players setup. It can get pretty random while playing.
    @arkanus: Thanks man! Here are some!
    @Gargobot: Hahaha! I don't know if we can pull this level of awesomeness every time though!
    @SamVimes: Thanks! I really liked the first game. I'll write more about it after we've played more this weekend. Painted minis also give so much immersion. That was really obvious while paying. It felt very real, because the printed tiles are super cool too.

Cultists
    Dark robes, yes, but we needed some contrast. The light brown was great to pick out the edges and then a little red just to reduce boredom. I wanted to pick out the hair and mustaches in different colors but I doubt we will. Look OK this way anyway.

Cult Leaders
    Same colors as the cultists but more emphasis on the red and light brown. They stick out more that way. These models are actually much better and more interesting than the regular cultists. Cooler details and more motion in the robes.

Zombie dudes
    Hey, how's it hangin' bro?
    OK, these sculpts are just a little bit silly. Kind of 30's comic book cover zombies. We decided to just go with that and paint them in silly 30's comic book cover colors. I think they make just a tiny little bit of sense that way.

Hounds of Tindalos
    These sculpts are pretty cool and we tried to copy artwork from the original CoC roleplay manual. Espacially went for the blue energy effect in the mouth and tongue/drool.
    These, along with the purple Shoggoth were the first monsters we finished, in our first painting session.

Shoggoth II
    This is actually the last of the monster figures we did, and the only one that isn't shaded with a wash. The first one had colors copied from the CoC roleplay manual artwork but this one we wanted to have as different as possible. That way there's always a choice. We don't think there'll be two shoggoths on the board very often anyway. I gave the shading and highlights here a bit of extra attention, since the project was already well underway.

Still more close-ups to come, when I have time to make them!

as usually a really beautiful gobbo..nice idea the ball and chain swapping!

Really really good. Interesting looking stuff. Im thinking about getting into some FF stuff myself. Not sure which game though. This one certainly has my interest.

Wish some of my guys would give me a present like this. Would save me some painting time...

Cheers
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
    \m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

Re: 1500 points of Chaos - Countdown to completion

Thanks a lot Herne! Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I felt I had nothing to add to the thread. I'm really glad you took the time to read through it. This thread is more or less my history of mini painting

A while ago I decided to switch arms on one of my terminators, and add a Heavy Flamer. I cut off his arm and primed a flamer, but never got any further.
    Today I decided to fix this and paint up the flamer and stick an arm back on him.
    I tried to paint it as I would have three years ago, so I brought out ye-olde synthetic brushes and twenty year old paints!

I think it pretty much looks right.

Also I'd like to point to a new thread I just started on a project I've been working on for the past month: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300078

Me and my brother and three of my other brother's friends painted up the whole Mansions of Madness set for my little brother's birthday. The interesting part is that I'm the only miniature painter in the group. Still looks pretty good I think.

I'll be updating that thread with closeups of each of the minis as I finish the photos.

great painting, great present !

Im jealous.

Beautiful work man!! Ive been looking thru this thread and you do some amazing work!! glad to see some progress on it hehe

Very nice paintjobs. This is inspiring work. And a team effort at that. Nice.
    Tomb Kings and DnD minis plog - A painting log
    The Sands of Nehekhara - A terrain log
    Glok's Grotto - My gaming log

Terminator looks great. I think the handle of the power axe and he metallics near the head need a wash of brown or black though - they look too clean compared to the swarthy look applied to the rest of the model. Mansion set looks great - wish someone would do a load of painting for me for my birthday!
    My Plog: Nurgle / Khorne with a Forgeworld Theme: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263939

Brilliant!

And how's the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frep
    Mainly because the Death Korps list is about as survivable as a herd of drunken sheep with nitroglycerine strapped to their sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacker
    I've spent more on GW stuff in the past 20 years than I have on cars....

Page 69 of 153 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 ... LastLast