Thread: Bob Hunk vs. The Deathwing

Bob Hunk vs. The Deathwing

Hello my fellow Warseers, and welcome to my second project log.

With the Orks finished with (for the moment at least), it's time to work on the army I'll be taking to the next Tempus Fugitives campaign weekend...the Deathwing.

This project has been on the back burner for a good 6-8 months, and appeared briefly in the PCRC upcoming projects thread. But now I need to have it ready by September, it's become my main project with its own dedicated log. The campaign weekend calls for three lists; 1000, 1500 and 3000 points respectively, so I've decided to try and get one of these finished each month across June, July and August. Thankfully we don't have to use the lists simultaneously, so each will build on the models in the previous list.

But there's a twist...I'm only going to be using 1st edition models from the 'Rogue Trader' era, simply because I love the models! For quite some time I've been carefully harvesting these original metal Terminators from eBay. The appropriate solegends page is here. I now have all the models I need for all the lists, and overall this has cost me around 50% of what it would have done if I'd assembled the army from the latest plastics.

Now, with regards to colour scheme, I wanted to avoid the modern bone-white, and go for a more old-school pure white, as seen in these pictures from the time. Also, the Deathwing originally had a "Native American" theme, which I plan to subtly incorporate into the heraldry.

Here are few shots of a test model I did, using a spare 2nd edition metal.

So those are my opening thoughts on the project, now onto my current progress on the initial 1000 point force. For those interested, here comes the army list. No comments on efficiency please, I have to work with what eBay provides! I think I've managed to devise something fun though...

Recon Force 1000 points

HQ

White Eagle, Captain of the Deathwing
    - Master of the Deathwing (130), Terminator Armour, Storm Bolter, Sword of Silence (0)
    (130)

ELITES

Grey Bear, Venerable Dreadnought
    - Dreadnought (125), Venerable (20), Plasma Cannon (0), Dreadnought CC Weapon (0)
    (145)

TROOPS

Squad Four Deaths, Deathwing Terminator Squad
    - Deathwing Terminator Squad (215), Assault Cannon (30), 2 Chainfists (10), 1 pair of Lightning Claws (0)
    (255)

Squad Vengeance Walks, Deathwing Terminator Squad
    - Deathwing Terminator Squad (215), Cyclone Missile Launcher (20)
    (235)

Squad Hunting Coyote, Deathwing Terminator Squad
    - Deathwing Terminator Squad (215), Cyclone Missile Launcher (20)
    (235)

TOTAL (1000)

Re: Bob Hunk vs. The Deathwing

Please excuse the amateur cut-n-paste job on the squad photos, the macro lens on my camera doesn't really capture a very wide angle.

Squad 'Four Deaths':

Squad 'Vengeance Walks':

Squad 'Hunting Coyote':

Captain 'White Eagle' (his arms are pinned to allow weapon swaps):

Venerable Dreadnought 'Grey Bear' (with modern plasma cannon):

Army Overview:

So as you can see, I'm still at an early stage. My method for painting white was to highlight up as follows: Shadow Grey > Space Wolves Grey > Skull White. Each squad is at various stages of this process. It's certainly going to be the most time consuming part of the painting, but it seems to have worked quite well on the test model, although more than one coat of white will probably be needed.
    I'll comment more about the colour used on other areas of the models as I get to the appropriate stage.

So that's it for now. More photos will be forthcoming later in the week...hopefully.

now there a blast from the past

looking nice cant wait to see the finished 3000 points

rik

YAY FOR OLD SKOOL MINIS!!!!

aside from the awesomeness that are the minis that you are using, this army should look great.

keep up the great work
    BLARGAG!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperAnarchist View Post
    So... You make Promethium from one set of heretics, and use that to burn the next set? And people say the Imperium is inefficient!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    So now plastic crack will be sold the same way as regular crack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus Mortis View Post
    I could throw wings on my refrigerator and it would be more aerodynamic.

Awesome- totally old school- terminators, dreadnought (wow...that's been like...forever), even the whole Deathwing-Native American thing. Impressive, to say the least.

that is very cool, how many layers!!??

My Glowing Thousand Sons Army Tutorial and project

Proud member of the Plastic Crak Rehab Clinik

As you can see I've made a bit of progress since my last post, although I think I might be pushed to finish the first 1000 points by the end of June.

Squad 'Four Deaths':

Captain 'White Eagle':

Venerable Dreadnought 'Grey Bear':

I'm pleased with the progress so far, but a second coat of white is definitely needed to make the colour look smoother.

Ok, I think this log is long overdue an update! I didn't quite make my September deadline in the end, but came quite close. Below you'll see some pictures of my army as they appeared at the campaign weekend...as you can see I didn't finish all the heraldry or the final layer of Skull White. Still, they looked presentable and even received a compliment from Jervis Johnson himself (!), who passed through the gaming hall on the Saturday, so it was all worth it in the end.

Although I'm pleased with the progress so far, I need a break from this army for a while. So I'm going to put them to one side and finish them off at a later date when they're needed again. In the meantime, I think it's time to revisit my Orks for the next campaign weekend.
    Last edited by Bob Hunk; 29-09-2008 at 20:35.

white Deathwing Feth Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt_NinjaPants View Post
    Abbadon's got about the same success rate as Cobra command....

Time to revisit this project log I think...

I'm currently working on a pre-Heresy Dark Angels army that I hope to take to one of the Tempus Fugitives 'Age of the Emperor' campaign weekends in September. Only Codex:Space Marines is used to represent the legions, although there are special rules for a ton of different characters, including Merir Astelan as a pre-Heresy version of Belial, unlocking Terminators as Troops.

My original plan was to use left over metal Terminators from the Deathwing project (hence I'm attaching it to this log), but then I realised no 2+ saves were allowed in the 1000 points Recon missions. D'oh. A quick trip to eBay grabbed me some original Mk6 Marines and Rogue Trader land speeders to cover that gap. To save myself some painting time, I'll combine them with the Terminators to make the 3000 point list (the event requires three lists), rather than painting up a load of extra Termiators. The 2000 point list will be entirely Terminators, Dreadnoughts and Land Raiders though.

Firstly, some reference images of what I'll be aiming for in terms of colour scheme...

And now an overview of the army. They still need a bit more chaos black spraying in the gaps, but otherwise I'm ready to begin painting.

Tactical squads, Rhinos and Land Speeders.

Dreadnoughts, Terminators and Dark Angels Captain.

Land Raiders and Retro Terminator squad, including all the original prototypes.

Expect sporadic updates between now and September!

i believe the words are " fully awsome " rt da ftw
    My 40k Blog
    My Warseer =][= Project Log

There is no theory of evolution, only a list of creatures chuck norris allows to live...
    I play ps3 online, modern warfare and world at war with both map packs, add El_Presidente_01 if you fancy a game

Im a man that brutaly honest so here goes:
    My top 3 Remarks:
    1. Army looks great love the old school look
    2. Your painting skills is above average to what i usually see
    3. Here's where it hurts, they white KINDA looks chocky, id HIGHLY recommend mixing the paint with some water. YES it will mean more layers but in the end will be by far worth it

AWESOME!

I want to see you paint the Grey Knights.

Please?

Awsome blast to the past I wont lie. Good job.

Banned

Awesome is the only word that I can use to describe this army!

I was actually thinking of buying some old plastics to do a Dark Angels army, and you've only encouraged me! Darn you!

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx23 View Post
    3. Here's where it hurts, they white KINDA looks chocky, id HIGHLY recommend mixing the paint with some water. YES it will mean more layers but in the end will be by far worth it
    This is very true, in some ways I wish I'd had time to thin out the skull white and do several layers, but a lot of it was painted in a real hurry the day before an event - that's my excuse anyway. Will probably try for several thin layers in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher, the Emperor View Post
    AWESOME!
    I want to see you paint the Grey Knights.

Please?
    Heh, the Grey Knights do need a bit more work, I'm sure I'll get around to doing that eventually.

The crazy thing is that I got so carried away when originally buying these Terminators that I have a box full of them still to be used. There's probably about 15 normal Terminators, five assault Terminators, three or four prototype Terminators, five Captains, five Librarians and about eight Grey Knights! The only thing I'm short of is Grey Knight arms and weapons.

As you can probably tell, I <3 Terminators! I hope the rumoured return of Space Hulk later this year is indeed true. I'm currently working on some 'Stealers on similar bases to match the Deathwing, I'll post some pics when I get the chance.

love the old school stuff, keep up the good work.