Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stupid things sued over

Stupid things sued over

In response to some of topic discussion in another thread, what are the most stupid things you've heard that people have sued for?

For me:

- The guy who sued when he crashed his motor home. He had put cruise control on, and went into the back to make himself a cup of coffee! He sued on the ground that it didn't say he couldn't in the instruction manual. He was awarded a new motor home and $1,000,000 in damages.

I've got others, but I'll save them for later. What about you guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore View Post
    Norminator is teh winz!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raellos View Post
    "Pausanias, disable your targeting computer."

Chapter Master

Re: Stupid things sued over

One that infuriated me at the time was a group of ex-Royal Marine officer cadets suing the Ministry of Defence because they were made to do push-ups! I can't remember what the outcome was, but I hope it was thrown out!

(Hey! This was my idea dammit! I dunno I leave the computer for five minutes and someone goes and steals my thread! )

About 20 miles from Hell. No, seriously, check a map!

Here is the best lawsuit story ever:

A man buys a set of very expensive cigars, 12 total. Because they are so valuable, he gets insurance on them, including flood and fire insurance. Over the course of several years, he smokes them all. After all have been reduced to ashes, he tries to collect on his insurance. Naturally, the insurance company refuses to pay, so he takes them to court. He wins and is awarded a handsome sum of money. However, then the insurance company counter-sues on the grounds of insurance fraud and arson. The man loses this time and is forced to pay the insurance company well over his previous winnings!
    WSBC: cuz reeding mayks yoo smairt!

Proud parent of an honor student at Songwriters of Warseer Club!

Emperor's Canaries: the cure for the common.

\m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Melchiah View Post
    Life is too short to define my enjoyment with "rules".

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by SmashemTaBitsa
    Here is the best lawsuit story ever:

A man buys a set of very expensive cigars, 12 total. Because they are so valuable, he gets insurance on them, including flood and fire insurance. Over the course of several years, he smokes them all. After all have been reduced to ashes, he tries to collect on his insurance. Naturally, the insurance company refuses to pay, so he takes them to court. He wins and is awarded a handsome sum of money. However, then the insurance company counter-sues on the grounds of insurance fraud and arson. The man loses this time and is forced to pay the insurance company well over his previous winnings!
    Oh teh noes. Oh dear. Just go home.

The disabled group which in the UK launched a lawsuit against the British army air corps because the new Apache longbows we've just got discriminate against wheelchair bound people. (no access! )

The guy that sued the cereal company because there were 2 "surprises" instead of one in his box.

Poor guy, he could have chocked and died!
    And he won

Or the lady that sued McDonalds because she dropped coffee on her arm and burnt herself.
    Of course she won: there was no warning on the cup that the coffee was hot.
    My sig - Eminem - UnderEmpire - Council Of Thirteen - DEATH TO HUMANS!
    pic collection now at: 13244 + 10649 pics

Jee: "You know Jon, one does not need a clown when one has a chicken leg to keep him company. *boards tricycle* AHAHAHAHAHA!" *leaves the office*

Quote Originally Posted by skavenguy13
    The guy that sued the cereal company because there were 2 "surprises" instead of one in his box.

Poor guy, he could have chocked and died!
    And he won

Or the lady that sued McDonalds because she dropped coffee on her arm and burnt herself.
    Actually iirc there was a warning but it was judged that the warning was not large and prominent enough.

Without meaning to imply things here (well, okay, 'without' means 'with'), how many of these lawsuits happened in the US? You Americans have a, err, reputation for crazy lawsuits over here...
    "Bruce... Don't be afraid."
    "HE WILL BE. HE WILL BE." ERR. SORRY. PROBABLY NOT TO THE BEST TIME TO BE MISQUOTING STAR WARS.
    "Mind the uniform, Cleric. I plan to be wearing it for a long time."
    DON'T WORRY. HERE, CLOTHING IS IMMATERIAL. LITERALLY.
    "What's that smell?... Who are you?"
    THE DEATH OF ALTERNATE PERSONALITIES. I'M THE GRIM REAPER'S WILD SIDE!

Ok, i'll repeat it:

Quote Originally Posted by Norminator
    - The guy who sued when he crashed his motor home. He had put cruise control on, and went into the back to make himself a cup of coffee! He sued on the ground that it didn't say he couldn't in the instruction manual. He was awarded a new motor home and $1,000,000 in damages.

I've got others, but I'll save them for later. What about you guys?
    http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

Quote Originally Posted by skavenguy13
    http://caoc.com/CA/index.cfm?event=showPage&pg=facts

Real stuff:

* In March 1995, a San Diego man unsuccessfully attempted to sue the city and Jack Murphy Stadium for $5.4 million over something than can only be described as a wee problem: Robert Glaser claimed the stadium's unisex bathroom policy at a Billy Joel and Elton John concert caused him embarrassment and emotional distress thanks to the sight of a woman using a urinal in front of him. He subsequently tried "six or seven" other bathrooms in the stadium only to find women in all of them. He asserted he "had to hold it in for four hours" because he was too embarrassed to share the public bathrooms with women.

* A San Carlos, California, man sued the Escondido Public Library for $1.5 million. His dog, a 50-pound Labrador mix, was attacked November 2000 by the library's 12-pound feline mascot, L.C., (also known as Library Cat). The case was heard in January 2004, with the jury finding for the defendant. In a further case which was resolved in July 2004, the plaintiff in the previous suit was ordered to pay the city $29,362.50, which amounted to 75% of its legal fees associated with that case.

* In 1994, a student at the University of Idaho unsuccessfully sued that institution over his fall from a third-floor dorm window. He'd been mooning other students when the window gave way. It was contended the University failed to provide a safe environment for students or to properly warn them of the dangers inherent to upper-story windows.

* In 1993, McDonald's was unsuccessfully sued over a car accident in New Jersey. While driving, a man who had placed a milkshake between his legs, leaned over to reach into his bag of food and squeezed the milkshake container in the process. When the lid popped off and spilled half the drink in his lap, this driver became distracted and ran into another man's car. That man in turn tried to sue McDonald's for causing the accident, saying the restaurant should have cautioned the man who had hit him against eating while driving.
    Religion is child abuse

Quote Originally Posted by shifty
    To be honest, reading Anar is a lot like reading a Zen parable. Instead of teaching wisdom through nonsense, he teaches wisdom through anger. He is like the Anti Zen.

Jurassic Park. DUH DUH, DUH DUH! DUDUDUH DU DU DU DUUH!

there was a bad scouse boy once, he'd been in trouble in the past with the school and the police. one night, he managed to climb all the way over a large, barb wire fence ignoring all "keep out" signs and entered the area around an abandoned warehouse. he then proceeded to climb to the top of this warehouse, and then fell through a glass window on the roof after standing on it.

he got a minor concussion from the fall. the family sued the council for allowing him to do it, stating the fall had made him act irrational at school (why he wouldn't do work, swore at teachers and beat up nerds, leading to his expulsion) and that he was scitzophrenic, his bad alter ego coming out only when his home tutor came over. thus he had to stop home tutoring.

of course, the family won, the judge ordered the council to pay over £100,000 to the chav, who was now about 18. absolutely disgusting.

My Aunt is a headteacher at a primary school. One evening after school(despite facts that the school instructs people not to come onto the school grounds out of hours) a girl came onto the school and played in the willow tunnel. However, some vandals had damaged it the day before. The girl cut her leg (admitedly it was a deep cut, but nothing worth even going to hospital over). The girl's parents sued the school and won, meaning the school had to pay out £10,000 and destroy the willow tunnel. There is something unjust here....!
    Norminator is teh winz!

Quote Originally Posted by Norminator
    My Aunt is a headteacher at a primary school. One evening after school(despite facts that the school instructs people not to come onto the school grounds out of hours) a girl came onto the school and played in the willow tunnel. However, some vandals had damaged it the day before. The girl cut her leg (admitedly it was a deep cut, but nothing worth even going to hospital over). The girl's parents sued the school and won, meaning the school had to pay out 10,000 and destroy the willow tunnel. There is something unjust here....!
    And then the people complain about schools having not enough money to do things like schooltrips! *shakes fist at stupid people*

I think the school should counter-sue the girl for entering forbidden area's (the signs usually mention the section of law where the explanation is given. In Holland)

Bah... now Im angry! Better go to bed. G'night yall!
    "You heard the good news everyone! Save the Earth, etc, etc, g'bye!" - Prof. Hubert J Farnsworth

Cambridge county council has rising bollards. Several cars have tried to 'run' these bollards and have ended up with them rising underneath their cars and breaking them. The car owners tried to sure the council - but the council counter-sued for damages to the bollards! A council spokesman said 'we've one everytime'.

Now THATS justice!
    Norminator is teh winz!

On my the road where I live, there are traffic calming humps in the road, and a 20 mph speed limit.

Now, you can drive over these at about 40 if you want to once or twice, and nothing much will happen

However the guy who tried to sue my local council for the humps ripping his exhaust off his car, and 3 new alloy wheels taht had been dented... how fast was he going?

(He didnt win BTW...)

Quote Originally Posted by anarchistica
    Robert Glaser claimed the stadium's unisex bathroom policy at a Billy Joel and Elton John concert caused him embarrassment and emotional distress thanks to the sight of a woman using a urinal in front of him. He subsequently tried "six or seven" other bathrooms in the stadium only to find women in all of them. He asserted he "had to hold it in for four hours" because he was too embarrassed to share the public bathrooms with women.
    A woman using a urinal? Taking a leak whilst standing up? That is slightly disturbing if youre not expecting it.

Although, Elton John? Dont lots of drag queens go to his concerts?

Bizarre lawsuit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bertcom1
    A woman using a urinal? Taking a leak whilst standing up? That is slightly disturbing if youre not expecting it.

Although, Elton John? Dont lots of drag queens go to his concerts?

Bizarre lawsuit anyway.
    The McDonalds coffee was too hot, it gave her third degree burns.. :/

I've read up on this (don't ask, I was tired). It's entirely possible for women to pee standing up through the slit in jeans (by holding panties to the side or down), and not make any mess as long as they have enough control of the muscles, they have to start peeing hard and end it instantly (or erm, it dribbles I guess). But yea it's possible and some women do it because they find it easier then messing around with sitting down and undressing some what etc.

ugh I sound so odd..

Quote Originally Posted by Mikari
    The McDonalds coffee was too hot, it gave her third degree burns.. :/

I've read up on this (don't ask, I was tired). It's entirely possible for women to pee standing up through the slit in jeans (by holding panties to the side or down), and not make any mess as long as they have enough control of the muscles, they have to start peeing hard and end it instantly (or erm, it dribbles I guess). But yea it's possible and some women do it because they find it easier then messing around with sitting down and undressing some what etc.

ugh I sound so odd..

I really, really don't want to know why you want to know how women pee standing up...
    Norminator is teh winz!

Yes well, the only woman Ive seen taking a **** like that was a ropey-looking old hooker in the street, and it was a very disturbing sight, at least the drunks have the decency to **** in doorways, not in the middle of the street, maybe she was marking her territory.

Anyway, there used to be a pretty good living in London in falling over paving slabs and suing the council, has that changed?

Chapter Master

The legal system is messed up, apparently not just in the USA. Lawyers become the judges, everybody on both sides of the lawsuits need lawyers for court.

Lawyers can collect their fees in several different ways. Apparently, 1/3 as their share of the damages PLUS expenses on top of that can mean they get 50% maybe more of the awarded damages.

Then there is the good old, so much up front/win or lose PLUS a percentage of any awarded damages.

Nothing like hearing about a company/employer going belly up after paying out millions because of a lawsuit they/it lost. The plaintif was awarded millions, the lawyers get one third plus expenses and the employees are unemployed. Oh yeah, that sure is justice.

Shakespear was right on about what to do with the lawyers.
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Harborc
    Shakespear was right on about what to do with the lawyers.
    And that was?

I would say don't blame it entirely on the lawers. Yes, some are unscrupulous little **************, but others are just trying to make a living.
    Norminator is teh winz!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast