Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Thor's Nurgle Daemons

Thor's Nurgle Daemons

Welcome to my amazing project log of Nurgley filth. I had been working on a few companies of my space marine chapter and decided to take a break from that with the new release of the chaos daemons codex. Nurgle has always been my favorite with Slaanesh coming in close second. Although, now between the new codex and the apocolypse reload, I really can see reason to include all 4 gods. Onto the log....please let me know what you think.
    I've been busy building my goodies tonight. But I guess we can start this off with some stuff I've completed back when daemons supported Chaos Space Marines.
    First up, a group of 6 Plaguebearers....why 6? I lost the 7th one is why...also, they used to come on smaller bases I guess, so I"ll have to rebase these guys. 20mm will not do:

Next up my Great Unclean One. He won me a best Large Model at a local GW shop:

And lastly for now, I want to proxy a Daemon Prince. Is there any reason I can't use a lightly converted Dragon Ogre Shaggoth? You decide:
    Last edited by VikingThor; 18-07-2008 at 15:06. Reason: more user friendly intro.

Re: Thor's Nurgle Daemons

Stayed up too late putting together the rest of what I had. Still have another Beast of Nurgle left, and I'll buy a few plaguebearer command squads to get the champions and to get my numbers up to multiples of 7 in every squad. Here's a group shot:

Also, I want to use this old school Herald of Nurgle as a counts as on Palaquin...horse can count as a palaquin, no?:

and a close up of the cutom mushroom and rot:

Nice, I love the endless supply of Nurglings you have there!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloodyFistOfKhaine View Post
    if everone thought like you this would be hell on earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    The only man I know with balls made of solid steel is x-esiv-4c.
    Praise be to the eight-headed path

I like the look of this. You've built a whole army and now you can just get to painting. Good luck!
    The Shaggoth can totally count as a Nurgle Daemon prince and although a horse doesn't look much lika a palaquin there's no reason you can't call it a Steed of Nurgle and just use the same rules as the palaquin.
    I think your army could look very nice and unique on the table when it's ready.
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Thanks for the comments everyone.
    So everyone is telling me I need wings on my daemon prince. Wings on my daemon prince. Wings wings wings. Ok. But I have to be honest, I'm not too happy about it. With the rest of the army being slow and purposeful, it just seems like selling out. However, there are airborn viruses. So I guess I can see some traveling quickly. That's the only way I was able to justify it to myself. But I'm not putting those huge Balrog wings on the DP of Nurgle model. Sure it looks cool, but first everyone uses those, and second, it's too hard to transport.
    In the codex its not called wings, it's called daemonic flight, and it says it can be sorcery, etc, but I wanted to model something that would suggest wings so, here is my first DP with daemonic flight:

Oh yes, that's right....I used the little delapidated wings from the Chaos Spawn Sprue.....I'm sure they'll grow into Balrog wings one day, but its chaos that makes him fly, not the wings. I think it gets the idea across.

I'm working on another conversion of a DP of Nurgle with wings because I think I had a good idea and want to see how it comes out. Also, in continuing with my experimentations with the new paint ranges, specifically the GW washes, I've been working on 1/2 my nurglings primed in white, with a few washes each to see how they layer. When they dry, I'll take a few pics and post them.

Finally, I'm going to play my first 5th Ed. game tomorrow against 1500 points of Orks. I like to play fluffy, so I'm only using 7 units (I couldn't fit 14). I realize it's not going to be too competitive, but I've lost to these orks with 6 different armies at this point, so I'm not too concerned about the win.
    It's gonna be Ku'gath, 2x14 Plaguebearers w/icon and noxious touch upgrades, 7nurglings, Epidimius, 2 DP of Nurgle with flight, Iron Hide, aura of decay, Daemonic gaze, and noxious touch. That gives me some shooting at least. K'gath, DP, Epidimius, and 1 unit of PB's first....if pappa Nurgle smiles on me. I'll try to put together a more competitive list when I finish painting more models and can bring a proper army to the field.
    Last edited by VikingThor; 24-06-2008 at 02:31.

Nice start, keep it going. I'm particularly interested in seeing your interpretation of Ku'gath.

The DP conversion is quite stylish, I did the same to a Tzeench herald. On the Shaggoth: I don't see why not. I'm under the impression that anything goes with Daemons, and this is no exception.

Thanks. I'm not sure what to do about Ku'Gath quite yet. In the meantime I will proxy the GUO seen above.
    The next DP of Nurgle is ready to be primed and painted. As you can see I took a Vargulf model and nurgled it up a bit. I used him primarily for those wings everyone says a DPoN needs:

And as I was saying earlier, you can see some primed white nurglings with a few washes each. Some came out pretty good....others, not so much, but overall I think the effect will work. I'm going to touch some parts up and so will keep you posted.

Wow those Nurlings are nice!
    Mind telling us how you did them?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloodyFistOfKhaine View Post
    if everone thought like you this would be hell on earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    The only man I know with balls made of solid steel is x-esiv-4c.
    Praise be to the eight-headed path

I did a bunch of crazy washes, but the ones that I think came out best went as such:
    They all got white primed, and I used all the new citadel washes...i'll just give you the colors.
    1. Green then sepia/mud/or ogryn flesh, green again
    2. Sepia/mud/ or ogryn flesh then green
    3. red then purple, then mud
    4. blue then purple, then ogryn
    5. red then ogryn, then ogryn again.

I did between 3 - 5 washes on each of them but the colors above seemed to be the combos that worked the best, adding two layers of the same color at a time, etc. I tried doing patch work washes like I would with drybrushing, but I think those came out too hodge podge.

Had my match against 1500 points of speed freaks today. 5th edition rules. It was the objectives one with deployment in table quarters. Wow. Nurgle daemons really stick in there. We both play pretty fluffy, so we wound up mindlessly going for the 1 objective in the center of the board (I only had one scoring unit left, and my MC's wiped most of his off the board) In the end I had a plaguebearer icon bearer as my last model on the field and we couldn't tell if he was within the 3 inches to contest. I thought he wasn't, my opponent thought he was (yea, we're sportsmen of the year), so we rolled off and he was out...making me right......and also making me lose instead of tie. What I learned was, try to get a third daemon prince in there, and split my units of plaguebearers up into smaller groups for more scoring units. Although having 7 units, all in multiples of 7 was awesome fluffwise, I don't think it would be as fun to play regularly. Although at 2000points they may be virtually invicible. The tallyman counted 18 kills by the end of his stay, so even the nurglings were ripping through units....however, with a looted tank, and ork trucks for almost every unit, I didn't have enough anti tank....even with what I had. I would take a soul grinder if I didn't put in another DP.

So for my next conversion I'm thinking that Orge Kingdoms guy greasus goldtooth....add some nurglings and you have another guy on a palaquin......Not sure if he'll do for Ku'gath, but he'll make a nice herald at least.

Finally, Epidmius' arm fell off during transport. I glued and green stuffed it the first time and was going to pin it this time, but I discovered 2part apoxy resin........2 clear liquids in a syringe, squirt out equal amounts mix and let set for 2 mintues. This stuff works wonders and I recommend it for all large metal models. Anyway. I'll update soon with more pics of painted MC's as they really represented in the game and I want to have a few nice display pieces. Any GW model suggestions for conversions for Ku'gath welcome.

Really like the stumpy wings on your DP. For some reason it leaves me thinking of the caterpillar from Bugs life?

like your GUO could you tell me what colours you used to paint him.

Regards
    Lorcan

For the skin I took every shade of Green, flesh, and red and lined them up in shade order. I started with Dark Flesh, Dark Angels Green and Scab Red. I base coated him using those three colors in blotches making sure to cover the model, but not mix the colors anywhere. Then I took the remaining 12 - 13 colors and started drybushing in different areas...not really caring what overlapped what. Every 3 colors I would give it a flesh wash...then three more lighter colors....flesh wash.....until I got to elf and rotten flesh....I did one final flesh wash, and then highlighted again with rotten flesh and bleached bone. You can see by the feet there is some of the red basecoat showing through, and by the mouth you can see some of the gree basecoat.
    Horns were just Bleachbone, flesh wash, repeat a few times...I would do the horns differently this time around....and I will on the (vargulf) Deamon Prince.
    The pustules were Dark Angels green, snot green, scorpion green; tuby things were were lich and warlock purple......

I ordered Greasus Goldtooth to be used as either another herald on Palaquin, or possibly as Ku'Gath, as he comes on a pretty big base, and although I think the GUO is physically bigger, the base is about 1/2 the size of Greasus'. I'll paint the knoblars as nurglings and add a few proper nurglins to the base. I'm not sure if I'll exchange the huge drum stick or just paint it to look rotten. I think he'll work really well. I also picked up a Reaper mini, Lord of the Frogs which I thought was way bigger. I may use him as a GUO, but we'll see after I get Greasus. If so, I guess I can use my current GUO as Ku'Gath and this frog guy as a regular guo. I won't be able to use him in GW stores which is fine because I'll have enough guys to proxy everything I want to use. The force has already gotten to apocolypse size, and I hope they come out with some GUO/nurgle datasheet like they did for the Bloodthirsters.....I think 7 of them would be sick, and I would accept the challenge to convert them all differently.

I've been working on the vargulf Daemon Prince of Nurgle. So far I've gotten a basecoat and washes. For the flesh I did Tallarn Flesh with Thakka Green wash, Wings were Khemri Brown with Sepia wash, Fur was Gretchin green with Ogryn Flesh wash (though you can't really see the green at all anymore, pretty disappointing). The bony areas have a coat of Calthan brown so far, and will get highlighted later, and the pustules will be fully painted last, probably. The base was painted Scortched Brown, followed by graveyard earth drybrush. It'll get a lighter drybrush after I'm fully done with the model. The eyes will probably get the same treatment as the tactical squad of my 5th Company, I just think it looks cool. The cuts and between the ribs were Mechrite Red red with ogryn flesh wash (with probably a few more washes and maybe a few highlights coming down the road to make it look like muscle a bit more. The skin will have to get a whole series of highlights as I'm not happy with the flesh/green blend yet. Here is what it looks like so far. I forgot to take pics when it was just base coated, which probably would have been a good idea. Here he is:

More work on the same guy. I think I'm going to leave the fur the way it is and cut my losses. The skin was highlighted with Camo Green followed by Camo Green/Rotten Flesh, and then given a wash of watered down Thakka green to lighten the contrast. The wings were given some lines of Khemeri Brown, then Graveyard earth, then Graveyard earth/rotten flesh. The bone areas were done with Bubonic brown, Bubonic brown/bleached bone, and then bleached bone. I may give it a flesh wash, while I still have the ink left since it's been discontinued, or I might do ogryn flesh, or leave it as it is. I'm pretty happy with the flesh. That means all I have to do is the eyes, pustules, maybe a bit more with the gore in the cuts, and finish off the base and we have a completed Daemon Prince of Nurgle with wings. Here he is now:

http://www.thortheviking.com/sitebui...79-600x450.jpg

Wow, that looks great!

-Sunny
    What can I say, I'm a happy guy

Final touches on the Vargulf DP of nurgle. I still have to matte varnish and put static grass but that's not going to change the overall look so these will be my final pictures of him alone. I did the eyes mechrite red, fiery orange, sunburst yellow. I washed the ribs with ogryn flesh wash and then did a small highlight with rotten flesh instead of bleached bone. I did another sepia wash over the wings to blend everything in a bit. Then the pustules were as mentioned before Dark Angels Green, Snot Green, and then scorpion green. The open sores on the pustules got hormagaunt purple with warlock purple highlight. After the matte varnish I'll gloss farnish the open sores on the pustules and the cuts on the back. I'm happy with the way this guy came out and will use some elements of this paint job on the other DP to unify the theme, but try a few new things to make him different too. Here he is in his final painted glory (minus the matte varnish, gloss and static grass).

I got my Greasus Goldtooth by FedEx yesterday and am thinking of ways to convert him as a Herald of Nurgle (or Ku'Gath). In the meantime, I started my second Deamon Prince of Nurgle with wings. I did the skin with a similar scheme to my GUO, but used significantly less layers of drybrushes and washes. One reason is that many of my paints have dried in the year I haven't been painting, and another is that I wanted his skin to look a little different than GUO's. I left the paint scheme colors on my desk at home, but will update you on my next post as to the skin scheme. Although some of this goes onto the armour, that will all be cleaned up, as well as details that will be done over again, but this is what I have so far on the DP's skin:

Quote Originally Posted by VikingThor View Post
    I got my Greasus Goldtooth by FedEx yesterday and am thinking of ways to convert him as a Herald of Nurgle (or Ku'Gath).
    I don't know how good you are with Green Stuff, but this here might be a great inspiration for your Ku'Gath. I just stumbled across it this very morning, and it is absolutely fantastic.

Those two Daemon Princes are great so far, I love your choice of colours.

This is developing really nicely, but my clear favourites are the nurglings, the sheer colours!
    Imperial Guard: The Crimson Guard.
    On the subject of the usefulness of frag grenades on Guardsmen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cook View Post
    "Guardsmen may take rubber duckies for +1 point per model. Every time they have a bath, endless hilarity ensues. Has no in game effect."
    Who would win in a fight between a Ogryn and a Space Marine?
    Quote Originally Posted by olmsted View Post
    easy the ogryn model is tougher then the space marine model. ogryns being made of metal are there fore stronger and tougher then the plastic space marine model. end of debate.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast