Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Putty's Project Plog

Veteran Sergeant straightsilver21's Avatar

Re: Putty's Project Plog

holy chaulk!

drybrush much? maybe try some layering here and there and not do soooo much drybrushing.

the sheer rate you pump out the minis though is a force to be reckoned with.
    "Do you want to live forever!?"

Quote Originally Posted by straightsilver21 View Post
    holy chaulk!

drybrush much? maybe try some layering here and there and not do soooo much drybrushing.

the sheer rate you pump out the minis though is a force to be reckoned with.
    Hehehe... your the 2nd guy to mention this.

I do minimal layering because it takes a lot of time.

I tend to do more layering for the consignments though.

As for my Nids, the drybrushing seem to have gotten worst... I need to do lots of touch up (ironically layering) afterwards... I suspect my drybrushing brush is giving itself up...

But yeah.... layering... I haven't actively done it since my test unit of 12 Chaos Mortals Marauders (see page 1 of this plog)

But thanks for the tip (and you too Nightsword) for mentioning the layering issue.... I admit i'm getting rather drybrushy happy as of late

Mr FedEx came to my door this morning bearing my birthday present:

Carnifex Behemoth Crusher Brood.

and the final piece of my Dakkaflyrant puzzle:

LotR Balrog wings, which i will mod and magnetise for my Dekkaflyrant

Next update will probably be on Saturday, if i'm not wasted after a Friday Night Overnight Dark Heresy RPG session that I'll be GM-ing tmr.

More tyranids! That crusher brood is awesome value for money. Can't wait to see this.

And flyrant no longer needs to sing R. Kelly. He can really fly.

Alrighto... managed to finish the rest of the BoM Terrain:

Got those Imperial electrical antenna thingys done too:

and I was doing the last two models (the Sergeant Octavian & Lieutenant Varras) when i decided to do something else while the guys are drying...

hence i went into 4 hours of magnetising, cutting, pinning, digging, cursing and drilling (a few times with a power-drill) as I tried to magnetise my tyrant's wings (and failed) and ended up magnetising + gluing it to the model. Which also means I'll need to figure out a way to store 6 carnifexes AND a walkrant along with the merry crew of genestealers and gaunts into my army carrier bag in future....

Flyrant still needs a bit of touch up though, but i'm too excited not to show him xD

Very nice. The pylons have plenty of character, the ship is nice and smooth, and the flyrant looks deadly. No idea how you could possibly store them though :P

Sergeant Octavian & Lieutenant Varras are done!

and Mr Flyrant i'm gonna dakkadakka is also done *hops with joy*

Varras is pretty much faultless. The only think I could suggest to improve on, is the pistol. Its a little flat say in comparison with that awesome jacket that hasn't been drybrushed! Octavian looks ok too, if not having the same problem with his gun. I know some people don't like extreme highlighting, but I think some edging on the armour plates would look cool.

Can we have some close(r) up pics of flyrant? It looks very nasty from afar.

Wow, You did a great job on that shuttle. You are a really good artist when you can make gray look exciting.
    Your color choices and dry brushing on all your models are very good.
    Save the Earth: It's the only planet with chocolate.
    My Project Logs:
    Tommygun's Backwater Forgeworld: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126270
    Tommygun's Xenotechnology: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244950
    Tommygun does what with paper?: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226343
    Tommygun Ironworks http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304880
    New Paper web site: http://www.modelpaperworld.com/en/

Quote Originally Posted by Tommygun View Post
    Wow, You did a great job on that shuttle. You are a really good artist when you can make gray look exciting.
    Your color choices and dry brushing on all your models are very good.
    Thanks Tommygun! Your approval means alot... especially your a god when it comes to plasticard scrapbuilding... i've been following your plog for a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsword View Post
    Varras is pretty much faultless. The only think I could suggest to improve on, is the pistol. Its a little flat say in comparison with that awesome jacket that hasn't been drybrushed! Octavian looks ok too, if not having the same problem with his gun. I know some people don't like extreme highlighting, but I think some edging on the armour plates would look cool.

Can we have some close(r) up pics of flyrant? It looks very nasty from afar.
    Damn mate, you read my mind! coz I am gonna try edging the armour plates with the left-overs of my Black Templar army. A buddy of mine gave me the BT upgrade set and I have been thinking about "master-classing" a squad of the guys...

I'm gonna try doing some mild highlighting later and see how it goes. Maybe I can paint the frame of that boltgun red or something.

I dunno man... i kinda like Varras for how he is... the simple gun he has kinda allows the rest of the model to shine. The aquilla on the other side of the gun is painted gold anyways, so its not that featureless xD

Ok, since you asked, I'm gonna try taking a few close-ups of the flyrant. I'm taking pictures from home today and the light is rather horrid. I'll see what I can do with a few close-ups.

Later.

Okie... managed to tweak Octavian abit... my brother managed to get me a white fluorescent tube for my lamp

Here's a closer shot of the dakkaflyrant:

Poster shot~! xD

Flyrant looks awesome. Really good mate, be proud. I love the "guns".

As for Octavian, remember what you told me? Remember where your lightsource is coming for your highlights. Your armour has highlights at the top, but the backpack, fingers, and the tops of the feet don't. The red on the pistol makes it looks more interesting. That's good, nice work. Now highlight it you lazy bas- I mean, I think you should edge it as well I also think the edges you've added want a lighter highlight just lightly touched, just to show how the very highest points have collected the most light.

Did I mention flyrant is awesome?

*avoids thrown objects*

*Hangs head in shame*

Okie, I went and did more highlighting (and a tad bit of wash to not over do it) and its pretty much done (I even highlighted the chainsword!). Damn camera won't pick up all the stuff and kinda overdid on some. *gives camera the evil eye*

Thanks for your kind comments on the Flyrant, TBH i think i will go and touch up on the carapace again. The initial paintjob got damaged when I was working on the wings and it looks abit different from before. One of the main things that the camera didn't pick up is the streaks and perhaps this is because the application of the paint might be abit inconsistent.

I will post an updated pic of the Flyrant again.

A parting shot of Mr Flyrant.

I declare him officially done and will move on to other stuff like that massive Bret consignment (which i have yet to update) and the rest of my 'Nids.

Will be quite some time before I work on my next Tyrant (a Dakkawalkrant)

Flyrant is awesome. Full stop. IFFFF (big if) you were to do it again/go back and touch it up, I have a few suggestions which im sure you're dying to hear. I think the tongue could use some gloss varnish (check out david rodriguez's slayer sword carnifex 07), and I think the claws in his chest could use some definiton/shading/streaking, like on magmatrax. Oh, and i cant tell if the eye is painted. Still awesome though. I mean very, I'm really envious.

And octavian is looking fab now. Well done friend.

Thanks for your kind comments
    That's what we're all about. Praise given where praise due. That and I'm too nice and genuinely impressed lol.

*belches after big mac*

EDIT: Thanks for your message on my log, you'll have PM

EDIT 2: You have mail. Don't steal my ideas.

15 fleshgaunts done!

supposed to be 16 but i missed out one (left it in the priming box)

My target was actually another 16 Spinegaunts but I ran out of time because I need to leave home for an appointment.

All this took 6 hours. xD

Looking good. This army is going to have a huge impact on the battlefield, arrayed as one massive "body". Nice work Putty boy. Can we have a close-up on one or two of them, just to check 'em out?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsword View Post
    Looking good. This army is going to have a huge impact on the battlefield, arrayed as one massive "body". Nice work Putty boy. Can we have a close-up on one or two of them, just to check 'em out?
    Ask and you shall recieve...

and just in case you need something closer...

Commander

Really nice stuff! I like your drybrushing /shrug.

Cheers

Right, you see in that second picture on the gun? There's like 2 "canisters" recessed between the plates. I think they could be blue, like on the clip. A couple of the arms have those recessed bumpy bits too (first pic, front 'nid for instance), that could have this blue added too. I also think the pipes could be a different colour e.g. the blue of your flyrant. Just little things like would help tie in the army IMO.

Looking good mate.

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast