Thread: Strange Tau Battle Suit numbers in the 5ed book

Strange Tau Battle Suit numbers in the 5ed book

In the 5ed book tau section it talks about XV16 (only XV15 currently) and XV26 (XV22's and XV25's currently) and space going crisis suit? I was wondering did any one know what was going on with that?

And could people please stop with the "my codex" needs upgrading spam, could you just put that all in a another thread about "codex creep"
    The 'Lego' pattern thunderhawk is constructed exclusively by the tech priests of the forge world Legopolis and features even greater modularity than more common STC designs. New loadouts can be created in the field simply by pressing the new subsystems against the hull, to which they will immediately bond. Sadly the technology which provides this near miraculous ability is no longer understood.
    by Oxford

Re: Strange Tau Battle Suit numbers in the 5ed book

I would say that the 6 designation refers to a space based varient, of the XV1, 2 and 8 chassis. Probably something that might come up in whatever the deepstrike/spacehulk expansion was - or just as likely a little throw away line to show that the Tau are still developing new technology - just that its not going to be appearing on the tabletop anytime soon.

Well, it would be a surprise to not see some new suits come out when the 5th edition codex comes out. After all, they always sell new models with a new codex release. My guess is some will be new models for existing units, much like the new(er) stealth suits. Others will be a new unit or 2.

Personally, I'd like to see a unit of the Shadowsun suits, possibly as fast attack and the addition of the Demiurg as a Tau Empire unit. I could see them as being an elite unit that has power armor/crisis suit equivalent, but with no jet packs. Give them a handheld version of the Ion Cannon (Ion technology was traded to the Tau by the Demiurg). Finally, they'd come with power weapon options or possibly as standard. So something like below possibly:

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
    4 3 3 5 1 3 2 8 3+

The T5 comes from the thought that Demiurg being a re-imagining of Squats whom were based on dwarves would have T4 normally, plus the extra T of the crisis suit.

Anyway, that went off on a bit of a tangent. But yeah, it's either a) a reference to models/units being worked on for 5th ed. codex or b) ideas being tossed around that will fade into the warp like Hrud.

I think the consensus is that the first digit in a battlesuit designation is the mass-class, so an XV 1 is basically just some thicker armour, the XV 8 is larger than a Tau, and an XV 9 is even bigger. The second digit refers to the role of the suit, with 2 meaning experimental, hence why Shadowsun has an XV 22 suit. Larger than just personal armour, still experimental. XV x5 seems to refer to stealth capabilities, so an XV 26 would be around the same size as the XV 22, but would have another inbuilt effect, with the XV 86 sharing this role, but on an XV 8 chassis.

Would make sense for the 'space faring' suits with regard to planet strike, and the idea that it might be linked to developments from that game seem sound and logical. Some form of jumppack (as opposed to jetpack maybe?) with capacity for use at high altitude and deepstriking etc.

With regard to the shadowsun suits, i think the next codex will have the option for the fire caste commander to take one, though how that would actually work is unknown.

GotR
    Alaitoc Eldar Project Log - A witty (ok, thats pushing it) account of a long time Marine player converting to the Way of the Eldar Farseer.

Codex: Blood Angels - no more PDF, but help and ideas still welcome

Off to the fifth edition section.
    "The Lost- they return?"
    "Aye, my Lord. For good or ill, the were-kin shall once more stalk the domains of Man."
    Please read the posting guidelines. Really.

RIP Jon Wilson/Brimstone. 1967-2009

If you can please donate to Jon's Gift of Hope Fund in aid of the British Heart Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian of the Rage View Post

With regard to the shadowsun suits, i think the next codex will have the option for the fire caste commander to take one, though how that would actually work is unknown.

GotR
    They could list them as separate entries like Chaos Lord and Chaos Terminator Lord. Would make things a little simpler since the 2 suits do have slightly different capabilities, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Elios Harg View Post
    They could list them as separate entries like Chaos Lord and Chaos Terminator Lord. Would make things a little simpler since the 2 suits do have slightly different capabilities, if I recall correctly.
    Currently the main difference between a Shas'o or 'el's suits and other suits would be the pilot's stats and what wargear they have access to. All the modifiers and abilities they grant to the pilot are standard. This doesn't rule out the possibility of having specific command variant suits in the future with different abilities and greater easy at telling them apart.

As for space ones, a crisis suit should be just as effective in an atmosphere as it is in space as its primary propulsion anti gravity with thrusters. The only thing I can see would be suits with larger thrusters (though the Thruster upgrade presented in the Tau Empires Codex would probably work for this), one designed for high orbit deepstrikes (though if you could keep the anti gravity in effect continuously this wouldn't be a problem), or a Stealth Suit designed more fore frontal assualts (loose stealth but get a wider range of weapons) as Crisis Suits might have problems manuevering in the narrow confines of a ship.

Quote Originally Posted by barrangas View Post
    or a Stealth Suit designed more fore frontal assualts (loose stealth but get a wider range of weapons) as Crisis Suits might have problems manuevering in the narrow confines of a ship.
    This is exactly what shadowsun's suit is (although it doesn't lose stealth) an experimental new suit in the same weight class as the newer 25 stealthsuits, only it supports 2 weapons instead of 1 (possibly not the plasma or flamer still, but presumably could handle a burst cannon), I would love to see them be brought into slightly wider use, even just as an alternative suit for any commander.

First, as someone said, the first number is the Mass Designation, although we've only seen 1, 2 and 8 mass sizes. The second number is it's classification inside the tau structure. An XV8 has no second designation because of it's versabilitity. The XV 88 has the secondary number as it is a Heavy Support variant, i.e. the second 8 means it is the heaviest. The 15 and 25 show us that the 5 designation is a scout/stealth model. The 81 suit and the 84... I'm not quite sure why they have the designations while the 89 is because of the upgraded armor.

Although in general I find having 89 or 99 suits odd as tau use base 8 math I don't think they would number their Xor'vessa that way.

My understanding and reading of the rules is that the 2 designation is experimental.

Chaplain

Maybe this kind of armor are limited to 0 -1 by army