Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Warhammer table

Chapter Master Morglum Necksnapper's Avatar

Warhammer table

I played only a few battles the past years, on a green piece of cloth, and always felt there was something lacking. Of course, this was a really beautiful made battlefield. After long consideration, I started to work on one of my own this week.

First I collected information on the internet and made plan. I don't have much space, so I needed to consider that.

I already had a kitchentable, of which I sawed the legs in half. The table now is aproximately 50 cm high from the ground. I like playing on this height, it gives you a wonderful birdseye view of the battlefield. I also allowes you to sit in a comfortable chair while playing. I can store the table in the basement.

On top of that I put a mdf board measuring 190 x 110 cm and 20 mm thick. To make the table solid.
    I put self adherent metalic plastic on top of one side. This table is wonderful for playing Space Hulk. I'm gonna show a picture of it later. I put the green cloth on top of that, because I don't want this side of the table to get damaged.
    On top of that are two mdf boards measuring 120 x 150 cm and 12 mm thick. So the table is roughly 240 x 15 cm in dimensions...
    I have just enough room to fit these boards in a small spare space, standin up.

I bought woodglue (750 ml) and a bag of sand (25 kg). I glued on the sand and let it dry overnight. Today I whiped of the exess sand and started to paint the table black, with watered down acryl paint. This now has to dry. I will continue tomorrow.

Re: Warhammer table

Looking good so far, what type of table will it be (cityfight/wasteland etc)?

Very nice so far. If the hand painting is driving you nuts, you can always spray paint it black and then drybrush whatever colors you choose.

The other thing to take into consideration is warping. It looks like there is no outer support for the table. If its only like that for games and then put away, you should be fine. If you decide to keep it flat all the time, or if there is a lot of excess humidity, the board can warp which makes things uneven. You can simply cut some wooden legs and just slide them under the corners for an easy (and removable) fix.

Keep the creativity going!

Thanks fo the comments. All day I figured out how to paint the table. So I tried different things. I just finished painting and so far I'm pretty happy with it. It's not finished yet, but it's going to be partial green and partial grey. Because the basecoat is black, the table oozez a dark sinister feel wich I quite like. One half is done, but needs more highlights. I hope I can continue and finish it this week. About the warping, until now it warpes only slightly, but I've come up with a plan to deal with that. More about that later.

I finished the table. because of the wet paint the table warped slightly. I drilled holes in the side of the table. Than I cut a long nail in half. These nails keep the table level. In the pictures with the scenery on it the table is even flatter, because I drilled another hole in the middle of the table, so there are three bondings.

Also these are my first attempts at making scenery, from a few months ago.

Yip, that looks like a table, interesting that you like the 50cm height, I can see the advantage of being seated while playing. The scenery is coming on good as well.

Bugbait out.
    * Apocalypse Ork Plog * * Terrain building log * * Bugbaits Thunder Wolves *
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm

The trees are just what I am looking for- what brand are they?

I'm not sure about the brand, they sell it in the local hobbystore. It's from a German company I think. When I'm going down there, I'll check the brand.

Chapter Master

Been there and had a warp occur. We (my dad & I) added a frame along and under the table's edges. We screwed and bolted the frame together and to the tabletop. We added legs.....used bolts and screws to attach them....THAT table lasted thru being moved three times.....Disassembled it and just needed to mark the parts for easy re-assembly.
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

This is looking really good! Some solid work in painting I can imagine. I can't wait to play on this table man

Love the trees! hopefully i can get some around here to add to my high elf display

Here's an update on the table.

I allready had done the hill and 2 woods. But it is now safe to say a wooded area. Golden Lion helped me cutting out and sanding the mdf baseplates. Together we've put the trees on the bases. and textured the bases. This weekend I undercoated, painted and flocked the woods and 2 GW hills. I also flocked part of the table, to match the bases of the woods and hills. I think I'm going to flock some more, because the grey parts, wich should resemble rocks, are too large and dominant in my opinion.
    Comments are welcome...

Woah a great table....
    How did I miss this log ?

Those tree stands really are great!
    Now available for scenery commissions!

Check out my terrain projects:
    http://public.fotki.com/dandanjobarnicles/

Chapter Master

I'm glad this thread is reviving. The table does look good, darn good. My longtime opponents and I do have a good selection of hills and rock piles, etc. THAT said, our streams look like cut paper (they are).

Those stands of trees look MUCH better than our cut green felt with a couple of free standing trees. I am starting to think about some terrain projects.
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

Cool to see the pictures of the finished pieces! They look outstanding on the table. I see you redid the hills as well, they're looking good. The whole is coming together more now.

I really like the table! Great Job! As for the rocks being to dominating, I think they look fine but I do see you point. My advice would be to raise them up a bit (smaller rocks and such), this would give them more depth and if you thrown in some grass in a few spots it should really come together nicely.

Also, where did you get the trees? I need some like them!

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast