Thread: Stripping Paint with acetone

Brother Sergeant nightshade_eyes's Avatar

Stripping Paint with acetone

Hi,

I usually soak my minis in Simple Green to get the paint off but there is usually some primer that just wont come off even after scrubbing. Seems the Simple Green isn't strong enough for that. I remember having the same problem with brake fluid.

Anyone have any experience using nail polish remover for stripping? I did a search and only came up with the faq. I want to know if the acetone in the nail polish remover is strong enough to eat away any leftover primer.

ty

Re: Stripping Paint with acetone

In my travels, acetone tended to leave primer in little clumps which never came off regardless of how hard I scrubbed.

Former Inquisitor Captain Brown's Avatar

Check out Dr. Faust's Painting Clinic and some of the articles on paint removal here. they can be found on the menu down the left hand side of the page under Removing Paint.

Disavowed Moderator...I can only move threads in MP&T and Project Logs now...I cannot revoke your warnings or give access to the Chaos Wastes.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Presently selling a fully painted OOP WHFB Orc and Goblin Army, Empire Army and Dark Elf Army - come see here

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Brown
    Check out Dr. Faust's Painting Clinic and some of the articles on paint removal here. they can be found on the menu down the left hand side of the page under Removing Paint.
    Thank you! The link is greatly appreciated!
    One of the most decent Eldar animations ever made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgNtOMOxP0o
    Something EVERY chickenhawk should see:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzn5L_vkfew
    Official Eldar ambasador to the Ork empire.

What does the codex say about his cheese level?IT'S OVER 9000!!!WHAT 9000!?!?

Brother Sergeant nightshade_eyes's Avatar

I bought some generic brand nail polish remover and I'm soaking a few metal mini's in it.

I'm also going to pick up some Easy Off spray and give that a try. Sounds like that the stuff to go with.

Chapter Master my_name_is_tudor's Avatar

yeah it does sound good, anyone know of any UK stockists?
    I am on Twitter.

In my experience, nail polish remover is not strong enough to be worth the bother. Instead, go to a hardware store and buy the purest acetone you can get your hands on. It's a world of difference between nail polish remover and pure acetone.
    Got Waaagh?

I have tried several paint removal methods. Here is what I have experience, your mileage may vary.

1. Pine-Sol. Didn't do a darn thing about the paint but did make me sick to my stomach from the smell.

2. Simple Green. Didn't do as well as I had hoped, like other posters I found that there were areas of paint/primer that simply wouldn't come off even with scrubbing. Plus the smell made me sick to my stomach.

3. Easy-Off oven cleaner. Does the trick big time, even on plastic. Removes the paint from metals after about an hour of "soaking" (it's a spray, not a liquid). A little warm water and an electric toothbrush got the mini almost as good as fresh out of the blister. For plastic you have to be a lot more careful as it will melt the plastic if you leave it on too long, I would recommend periodic checks (say every ten minutes or so). It also has a tendancy to cause "staining", some metals look shiny while others will take on a strange dull tone. Every plastic I have used it on had discoloration, black stains etc. but was fine otherwise.

On the Battle Barge, demonstrating the use of the pain glove.

I've used pure acetone to strip metal figures and it works pretty well. It depends on what paint was used on the figure. I had a rat ogre which looked like it had been repeatedly dipped in house paint which I dropped into a beaker of acetone and the paint literally floated on the surface as a skin while the metal figure sank to the bottom. It doesn't get any easier than that.

I recently stripped a friends grey knights which were painted with citadel acrylics and undercoat. The acrylics came off as easily as before but the undercoat needed to be scrubbed with a toothbrush to get it out of the recesses.

Note on safety: You should use acetone in a well ventilated area and wear rubber gloves (use nitrile gloves, not latex because acetone can permeate latex).