Page 1 of 267 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Thousand Sons Tactica:

Thousand Sons Tactica:

Let's get the tactics and batreps going here again. This thread is for Pure Thousand Sons lists and questions, et cetera.

does this include army lists?
    Elysians Blog (now with added Deathwatch): http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...25#post5042725

New Review site, we cover GW/BL/All forms of geekery: http://www.fiftyshadesofgeek.org/, also on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/50shadesofgeek and twitter @shadesofgeek

Army lists are fine.

What kind of Lords do you guys use? I picked up a dismounted Archaon and i'm thinking about sticking him on a disk. What should I add to a statured lord with flight?

Wings of Course, possible somthing Bird like (old Lord of Change Head), maybe a tentacle or two
    Elysians Blog (now with added Deathwatch): http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...25#post5042725

New Review site, we cover GW/BL/All forms of geekery: http://www.fiftyshadesofgeek.org/, also on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/50shadesofgeek and twitter @shadesofgeek

Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus
    What kind of Lords do you guys use?
    I no longer use a Lord of Tzeentch as they were not as cost effective as I wanted them to be. I only use the Lord of Change as it is asily capable of earning it's points back in a game.

Anyway, my current Thousand Sons army list is as follows:
    Lord of Change

9 Thousand Sons with Power Fist, Bolt of Change and Thrall Wizard

9 Thousand Sons
    Rhino with Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers

5 Flamers

Defiler

Predator with twin-linked Lascannon, Lascannon Sponsons and Extra Armour

Dreadnought with Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers and twin-linked Autocannon

After a little bit of tinkering, I have been thinking of utilising the following Thousand Sons army list instead. Most of the changes are made to create a dedicated anti-tank section, as well as allowing the Thousand Sons themselves make the most of their abilities with a bolter.

Lord of Change

9 Thousand Sons with Power Fist, Doombolt and 2 Thrall Wizards

9 Thousand Sons

6 Flamers

Dreadnought with Extra Armour and twin-linked Autocannon

Any opinions would be greatly accepted.

las/las predators.... do you get to fire the sponsors much? I find my pred's are nearly always forced into being mobile, so have HB sponsors, and generally end up shooting infantry or monsterous nids anyway.

What power has your LoC got? If he has BoC then he'll be a fierce tankbuster on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavfluris
    I'm assuming those squads have Aspiring Champions as well, as thrall wizards are a piece of wargear only avaliable to characters and aspiring champs. with the mark of Tzeentch....

Personnally, I still use a Lord of Tzeentch, tooled up with a Disc, Lightning claw/Daemon sword (depending on how I feel ), Bolt Pistol with Inferno bolts, Bolt of Change, eye of tzeentch and Daemonic aura. With a bodyguard of Chosen on discs, he does pretty well.....
    My Blog

'The urge to escape, the longing to transcend themselves if only for a few moments, is and always has been one of the principal appetites of the soul' Aldous Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by hairyman
    las/las predators.... do you get to fire the sponsors much?
    I always deploy my Chaos Predator wherever it can get the best field of fire, either covering my advance or overlooking certain key parts of the battlefield. I do not often have to move the Chaos Predator, hence going for sponsons on the second Chaos Predator I am thinking of purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyman
    What power has your LoC got?
    I usually give my Lord of Change the Wind of Chaos psychic power, simply because it is very useful in earning back the points cost of the Lord of Change, and causing big holes in the enemy lines. If need be, I equip the Lord of Change with the Bolt of Change psychic power, but that tends to be very rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Red Gobbo
    I'm assuming those squads have Aspiring Champions as well, as thrall wizards are a piece of wargear only avaliable to characters and aspiring champs. with the mark of Tzeentch....
    You would be correct.

hello again!

i'm back and i might as well make my presence felt on this new thousand son tactics thread.

thats try and make this the equal of the monster it became!

anyway, its been a long time and i've had some success with my thousand son army.

new terminator models make converting rubric termies easy and cheaply, which is great.

been testing CWF on dreads, all i can say is that it rocks, reecommend it to everyone.

soon i'll post army lists up and give battle reports just like the old days

glad that the TS tactic thread is back

for anyone who is reading this for the first time:

GO TO HERE: most of the 600 pages detail the old sons not the new ones
    Last edited by Reinnon; 16-10-2007 at 14:03.

Hey guys. Nice to see the thread back up!

I played a game against Ulthwe this last week - first time I've played against Eldar in years. He didn't take any Mind Wars, but I was feeling slightly ill the entire game imagining what he could have done if he HAD taken a couple.

How can we keep our champions from getting their minds eaten by witches?

Hello, I only posted a few times on the last thread but i sure enjoyed the read. I am currently painting up my first 1000 points of Sons. I would like to see this thread get as good as the last one, so hopefully ill contribute...

How can we keep our champions from getting their minds eaten by witches?
    I am planning on taking a warpblade when i start, as i love the idea of a sword which attracts demons to its area (should give a bonus for summoning also), but in addition im gonna take the talisman as 5 points isnt too difficult to spend.

My current list will be for starters

Lt. With termie armor, lightning claws, strength, mutation, Talisman, and either (gift of chaos w/ warp focus or Wind of chaos w/ minor power)

Rubric squad (8+ Sorc)
    -Sorc with powerfist, mutation, Bolt of change, CCW

Rubric squad (8+ Sorc)
    -Sorc with powerfist, mutation, Doom bolt, CCW

DreadNaught w/ TL Lascannon & CCW
    - Demonic Posession , CWF

Defiler

That should be quite close to 1000, plans for expansion include a Rubric Termie squad, another dread same config, another rubric squad, and maybe even some flamers and screamers... Hopefully make the army very modular so i can trade units in and out withot much fuss. Ive loved the thousand sons for a very long time and finally got around to playing them so i am putting alot of effort into painting them, treating them like a showpiece army, though im not golden demon caliber i will be doing my best.

Veteran Sergeant

Re: Thousand Sons Tactica:

Hello again, its good to be back.

As for those %$&**@!@#$ eldar, I vote for a sound beating with a chair leg.
    I mean, um..... Talisman is nice without being overpriced and taking up your only Demon weapon slot like the Warp Blade.
    "The difference between a Good RPG game and an Evil RPG game is simply that in the Evil game, the creatures who the PCs murder and rob in their homes will be pretty and smart, instead of ugly and stupid." -Anon

I'm after a bit of advice for my Thousand Sons. I've got a 2K army with the usual Statured Lord, 5 Rubric Terminators, 3 Squads of Thousand Sons, 1 Squad of Flamers, a Rhino, a Dreadnought, a Defiler, and a Predator. I'm thinking about a Landraider and want some opinions. If i take one it has to be a heavy support choice as i don't see the value of Chosen and they are the only way of getting one as a retinue transport. As a heavy support choice i'm currently already maxed out so would have to drop something to accomodate the Landraider. Is it worth it?

Graylok

I can't say from experience, but based on what I see...yes. When moving 6" the firepower it kicks out is roughly comparable to a Mutated Hull Predator, so it's worth at least roughly 175pts right there. Throw in AV14 ALL AROUND, the ability to shoot 2 targets, and Infernal Device and it's easily worth over 200 points just as a tank. Now, we get to the transport function, which honestly in any other army I would call overpriced. However, even if your loadout moves only 6" a turn, its still faster than Thousand Sons on foot (4"-5" average). Toss in the fact that you will likely get at least one 12" move in, plus Thousand Sons lack of reliable anti-tank, and it becomes a bargain for us.

I particularlly like the Land Raider as a Heavy Support choice when using TS termies, so I can either field it as a transport/tank hybrid, or I can field it as a MBT and Deep Strike my termies. The flexibility of being able to pick up and move any unit is a little perk too.
    Dysartes: Where do you stand on so called "Cheese"?

Pete Haines: Bottom line - if it wasn't OK it shouldn't be an option.

1 Daemon Prince @ 191 Pts
    Make Sorcerer; Mark of Tzeentch; Warp Focus; CC Weapon (x1)
    Warp Blade
    Talisman of Tzeentch
    Daemonic Stature
    Daemonic Aura
    #Wind Of Chaos
    Personal Icon
    Daemonic Flight

8 Thousand Sons Chaos Space Marines (Troops) @ 351 Pts
    Favoured Unit; Mark of Tzeentch; CC Weapon (x8); Bolters
    #Daemonic Essence
    1 Free Aspiring Champion
    Mark of Tzeentch; CC Weapon
    (x1) Power Weapon
    (x1) Personal Icon
    #Doombolt

1 Chaos Rhino
    Dedication to Tzeentch
    Extra Armour
    Mutated Hull
    #Coruscating Warp Flame
    Smoke Launcher

8 Thousand Sons Chaos Space Marines (Troops) @ 246 Pts
    Favoured Unit; Mark of Tzeentch; CC Weapon (x7); 1 Standard, (X8) Bolters
    #Daemonic Essence
    1 Free Aspiring Champion
    Mark of Tzeentch; CC Weapon
    (x1) Power Weapon
    #Doombolt

9 Flamers of Tzeentch (Troops) @ 207 Pts
    All Flamers
    #Doombolt

All Flamers
    #Doombolt

All Flamers
    #Doombolt

1 Chaos Dreadnought (Heavy Support) @ 190 Pts
    Front Armour: 12/13; Side Armour: 12/13; Rear Armour: 10/11;
    CCW; w/TL Bolters; Plasma Cannon
    Mutated Hull
    Havoc Launcher
    Parasitic Possession

1 Chaos Defiler (Heavy Support) @ 220 Pts
    Front Armour: 12/13; Side Armour: 12/13; Rear Armour: 10/11; Battle
    Cannon; Reaper Autocannon; Heavy Flamer
    #Daemonic Possession
    Mutated Hull
    Parasitic Possession

1 Chaos Defiler (Heavy Support) @ 180 Pts
    Front Armour: 12/13; Side Armour: 12/13; Rear Armour: 10/11; Battle
    Cannon; Reaper Autocannon; Heavy Flamer
    #Daemonic Possession
    Mutated Hull

Models in Army: 50
    Points 1999

Should keep it in family. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavfluris

9 Thousand Sons
    Using thralls with Doombolt seems an interesting idea, mostly it seems to get used for BoC to up the rate of fire.

For only 10 points per squad that's quite a nice bit of extra fire power in a round that you might need it.

As for the last squad, cutting on costs and not giving the free AC a psychic power is alright, but he really should have a power weapon/fist at the very least I'd imagine.
    Quote Originally Posted by malisteen on the new CSM Codex
    Whether or not you agree with the driving concept, there are things like lash, posessed, dreads who turn around to shoot their own guys, khorne lords as likely to kill themselves as anybody else, and several other options that are either blatantly the best or just unbearably bad, and poorly designed. I wouldn't have minded the new design philosophy if they had done a good job with it. I don't need the list to be powerful, I just don't want so many parts of it to be stupid.

Hey, It's good to have the TS thread going again. I got this list I'm looking at for a tourney I'm going to in a few months, what do you think of it?

HQ
    Lord Yggdrasil 107
    Bolt pistol
    CCW
    BOC
    4 Thralls

ELITES
    Rubric Terminators 290
    5 Rubrics
    Arch Mage Sildath
    Powerfist
    Staff of Infernus (Combi-Bolter W/ Inferno Shells)

TROOPS
    Rubric Squad 266
    8 Rubrics
    Magos Fefnir
    Bolt Pistol
    Powerfist
    BOC
    1 Thrall

Rubric Squad 271
    8 Rubrics
    Magos Rakhaam
    CCW
    Powerfist
    BOC
    2 Thralls

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Land Raider 268
    Extra Armor
    Smoke Launchers
    Combi-Bolter

Predator 150
    TL Lascannons
    Sponson Lascannons
    Extra Armor

Mehrek, The Ancient One 145
    TL Lascannon
    CCW + Combi-Bolter
    Daemonic Posession

TOTAL 1497

I know it's almost mad taking a LR in a TS list, but I love the model and what it can do. Also, I'm currently working on it, with the custom Forgeworld doors and all. The Terminators will almost always be deep-striking, and the squad with only 1 trall rides in the LR usually. The Lord will join the 2 thrall squad.

Your army composition score will be VERY low for this army list. So, you could win every game and still lose the tourny... As a rule of thumb have one troop choice for every heavy, elite, or fast attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell's Angel
    Your army composition score will be VERY low for this army list. So, you could win every game and still lose the tourny... As a rule of thumb have one troop choice for every heavy, elite, or fast attack.
    Why would comp be low? Two TS units, 3 heavy support, and a Lord are SOP for what is probably the weakest list in 40k right now. The unit of terminators, the only really exemplary unit we get, doesn't come close to outweighing the overpriced sorcerous powers and hamstrung list. Spamus merely listed the standard semi-decent TS list, since 3xHS and tooled Asp Champs with hidden PFs are the only way we even approach "competative".

Your 'rule of thumb' doesn't work for the TS list. Maybe for top tier lists like Blood Angels, Black Templars, rhino-rush SoB, mobile Tau, and a few others. Even then, IMO comp should be viewed list-by-list, I doubt there's any 'rule' that holds true for more than 2-3 lists.
    Dysartes: Where do you stand on so called "Cheese"?

Pete Haines: Bottom line - if it wasn't OK it shouldn't be an option.

Veteran Sergeant

Lesson 1, don't play in tournaments. The whole point of a tournament is to win (duh). This brings the "must have 4 wraithlords and a C'tan and a death company to be teh winz0r!!!1!!1!" drive out in most people. If you just stick to friendly games with your friends, you can punch them in the skull when they whip out the Iron Cheese army of doom.

Admittedly, this only works if you have a group of decent local players. If you dont have good local players, umm...... sorry?

And no, I'm not an embittered lamer who goes to a tournament each week and loses. I've only attended two local tournaments with my Sons, and I came in 6th out of 10 and 2nd out of 10. My orks haven't done as well (kinda sad for the orks.... ), came in something like 8th out of 12 and 9th out of 10.
    "The difference between a Good RPG game and an Evil RPG game is simply that in the Evil game, the creatures who the PCs murder and rob in their homes will be pretty and smart, instead of ugly and stupid." -Anon

Page 1 of 267 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast