Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Scratchbulding a 40K manta vs thunderhawk diorama

Chapter Master The Laughing God's Avatar

Re: Scratchbuilding A Manta

I wanna see the end project of this. It looks like you have a good start.

Good luck,

Commander

Looking a great project chaps, been away a few days so just catching up. looking forward to seeing the finished model, was going to knock one up a while ago (I still might if I find some spare time) but space is limited and to be honest I aint a real fan of the little space monkeys

I havent read the entire post but a rough shaping using polystrene then final shaping using decorators filler was the approach I used for shaping the domed carapace on my warlord, it would probably be a good approach to the curves on this beast. This of course couldnt be used if you went for the flying one!

Quote Originally Posted by lack0fbettername View Post
    ...flying manta could lead the the phrase "i had to grab my manta and run" being uttered after more then a few battles
    ROTFL! That just made my morning! Cool project, sorry to lose a local boy to the South, but Eater came in to my store yesterday so at least we still have part of the project back in the heart of it all... Keep up the good work!
    `there's the King's Messenger. He's in prison now, being punished: and the trial doesn't even begin till next Wednesday: and of course the crime comes last of all.'`Suppose he never commits the crime?' said Alice. `That would be all the better, wouldn't it?' the Queen said.
    My back to Taros Imperial Guard log...
    My Warmaster log...
    My Chaos log... My Austrians...

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogUK View Post
    Looking a great project chaps, been away a few days so just catching up. looking forward to seeing the finished model, was going to knock one up a while ago (I still might if I find some spare time) but space is limited and to be honest I aint a real fan of the little space monkeys
    Thanks man. Initially we wanted to recruit you for this because of some of the techniques you use, not to mention that you build superheavies crazy-fast. No worries though. We'll grab you for consultation when we start the Imperator titan templates.

Quote Originally Posted by jdp View Post
    ROTFL! That just made my morning! Cool project, sorry to lose a local boy to the South, but Eater came in to my store yesterday so at least we still have part of the project back in the heart of it all... Keep up the good work!
    Thanks for the support!

Yeah, I give him crap all the time about leaving Ohio, but Lack0f is a loner who wanders dusty trails, only stopping in a town long enough to get in a game of Aeronautica and maybe build some titan templates. And then like the wind, he is gone.

@Lack0f: I dig the newest plans and movie, but I feel like the degree of the wing tips may be a bit too steep based on a couple of images that I've seen. I'll try to show you what I'm talking about later.
    Project Logs
    LatD, Orks, Emperor Titans

I did more work but no real updates today.
    Hopefully construction will begin on Friday.

I did figure out that bulldog UK is a crafty fellow.
    He somehow managed to scratch build a copy of my dog.

The first two pictures are of my dog. Pictures 3 and 4 are of his which i shamelessly lifted from his website without permission.

My dog ironically is named Baden, after Lord Baden Powell which is someone from bulldog's homeland.

Two more pictures, first one being an action shot for good measure. The second one showing me and the eaterofsmallthings in deep 40k conversation over a game of worms 3D (game cube), while baden eats the eaters foot.... how ironic.

Can someone scratchbuild me one of those dogs? Preferably in the hammock pose?
    Getting sidetracked, a (dozen) projects at a time...

"Mathematics? Logic?
    Neither has ANYTHING whatsoever to do with any of this. Mixing Spock, the Borg and something else we arrive at the truth: Logic is futile. You will be administered. "

Commander

ROFLMAO, it's amazing what you can make with a little paper mache, glue and black paint!

This project is goning to totally rock, I can't wait! I second Bulldog's recommendation on using filler for the smooth edges, and I recommend getting the ones in powder form (I used the Polyfiller brand) which have to be mixed with water.

What I've noticed was that the ready mix variety only dried when exposed to air meaning you couldn't add large amounts at a time and took ages to dry, the powder form seemed to chemically react and hardened over 3-4 hours, I was paricularly suprised about this as I had used it to create a hill (as is I only used large blobs of filler!). Obviously test your filler when you get it.

I've also had some experience making a Tau vehicle, so I can add advice where I can. Here is my Tau Tigershark, it was mainly artcard and superglue to build with polyfiller on the edges.

slaaneshi thats a sweet lookin aircraft.

Ok now "real tangible stuff"

So the the largest size blue foam any hardware store ive been able to find in my area sells is 1/2" thick. I have not picked any up yet, so i started making the udnerside out of foamcore. I have left 1" inbetween the ribs to i can go back in and fill in with blue foam later. After that i hope to cover the thing in sheet styrene, gap filler as required.... Atleast thats the running plan.

So i started underneath with the cargo area. I'm not sure it will actually fit a devilfish, but it will be a big open area that looks like it can carry stuff. I also am going to be leaving the front access ramp open.

I guess thats about all for now. Hopefully will get blue foam and do more work later.
    -JSV

EDIT:
    I just noticed the last picture the "belly" is on the manta in backwards... long day... big door goes at the back, small door at the front. Dont worry its not attached yet. Still lots of work to do. Currently pondering the use of LED's in the main cargo area.

Veteran Sergeant KlutzyKultist of Kaoz's Avatar

WOW. . . . . . Just WOW. Lackof you are one crazy bugga' you know that right. Well i hope to see more insanity.
    OBNOXIOUSLY LARGE, BRIGHTLY COLORED PRINT IS HARD TO IGNORE

dude, y'know I always look forward to you completing your works so I can get the templates and build one (I must have passed your reaver and 'hound plans to literally dozens of people) but this time I think I'm just along for the ride. I reckon this project will prove wayyyyy beyond what I can replicate.

At some point you need to visit Bulldoguk and have the mother of all apoc games!
    Sleazy builds a Reaver titan...
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128296
    Sleazy paints a proper Reaver...
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187866
    Old meets new meets scratch - Eldar log
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165589

Found blue foam in a box.
    Built more stuff, you can see the front lower access ramp.
    Pictures.

Templates will probably be forthcoming at the end of the project.

This section is done, I will probably paint the interior before i attach it. At some point in the future i will be seeking large amounts of plasticard.

Oh my lord... that is a beast!!! How will you attach it to a stand? Will it be attached to a stand at all? It'd be one hell of an awesome centre piece for an apocalypse game...

You could do a 'grounded' piece, and have troops coming out the 'ramps'... in their dozens... *drool* I can just see Krootox lumbering out of them now...

sj

More work done. My lower cargo bay was too short so "i raised the roof"... may still not fit a tank, but im done messing with it. Also to everyone, the templates are not done, i well let you know when they are. No more e-mails or PM's Please. I also began work on the upper half of the manta.

Pictures.

WOW! Amazing work! I am in awe!

Are you going to be putting the additonal tau models into the "cargo" hold as the forge world model pictures have?

Very inspiring!

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Hot as Lelith's thighs, but far more accessible and considerably safer.
    Funniest/coolest line I've read on Warseer! And a pretty good description of the plogs above.

Lookin dope.

...I can see your dog's lipstick

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast