Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A 40k project log (Easternheretic's Peach Blossom Isle)

Re: A 40k project log (Easternheretic's Peach Blossom Isle)

Quick update. I have a few more WIP shots of the tyrannofex. The construction should be done by Sunday. I can then start painting it!

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Hot as Lelith's thighs, but far more accessible and considerably safer.
    Funniest/coolest line I've read on Warseer! And a pretty good description of the plogs above.

I've "completed" the tyrannofex conversion. The inverted commas are there because I'm not completely satisfied, with it now and might continue to work on it.

It seemed like it was complete when I took the pictures. But after a nights rest, the legs just look too scrawny especially around the thigh area. I was going for a T-rex look, but ended up with a T-chicken instead! I'm kind of caught in 2 minds right now, as to whether or not to beef up the legs with a fair bit of GS, or just leave it as it is. Especially since I've gone on and base coated it black before the nights rest.... before the dissatisfaction set in.

What do you guys think? Scrap off the paint on the legs, and beef it up? Or just ignore it and paint it?

Anyway, here are some pics.

Cheers!
    Funniest/coolest line I've read on Warseer! And a pretty good description of the plogs above.

The legs look ok to me, they don't seem to thin. The only bit that seems a bit 'off' is the ankle (in the 8th pic). The rest of the model is awesome!

An impressive conversion as usual.

Have to agree with your view on the legs. They look a bit out of place. I think it would have been better to leave the foot on it's normal place of the lower leg and not to lengthen that part.

Quote Originally Posted by the-skylord View Post
    The legs look ok to me, they don't seem to thin. The only bit that seems a bit 'off' is the ankle (in the 8th pic). The rest of the model is awesome!
    Is the ankle "off" enough (By enough, I mean, it being to distracting and ruining the model.) to warrant a re-sculpt?

As long as its not painted (Which it isn't.), I'm would probably be willing to cut off the GS and re-sculpt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezmord View Post
    An impressive conversion as usual.

Have to agree with your view on the legs. They look a bit out of place. I think it would have been better to leave the foot on it's normal place of the lower leg and not to lengthen that part.
    I see your point. B*gger. What a waste of time and effort to re-sculpt, only to find the original worked better!

I'll have to re-think this and the direction to take.

Suggestions?

Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated.

Cheers.

The ankle should look fine when there is paint on it. However you could trim the sides of it to get them more flat instead of bulging outwards.

Its your call though, I'm sure once you've painted it, it will look great!

The legs look fine - they bulge slightly just before the ankle which makes the ankle look thinner, but they do not look out of proportion with the rest of the model. The longer length of the legs also fits the overall scale of the creature, if you'd just used normal 'fex legs it'd have looked kind of silly, like it was being squashed by the weight of the gun (not very combat effective), whereas the extended legs make it look like it can actually carry and manoeuvre the weapon.

And yes, very T-rex like
    Necrons, 'Nids 'n' Eldar Log

Quote Originally Posted by the-skylord View Post
    The ankle should look fine when there is paint on it. However you could trim the sides of it to get them more flat instead of bulging outwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenova View Post
    The legs look fine - they bulge slightly just before the ankle which makes the ankle look thinner, but they do not look out of proportion with the rest of the model.
    Hey guys, thanks for the input. Since the model seems to meet with a general stamp of approval, I'll go ahead and paint it. Too many thinks to convert and paint has me lean towards being a tad lazy and just moving on! Whats done is done, and it still is a fairly nice/cool conversion if I do say so myself.

Speaking of converting, the friend that I converted the tervigon for, has asked me to convert a Doom of Malanti as well. Since this friend ain't as nuts as I am in sacrificing 2 models to get just one in return, it will present a different challenge and approach to the project, and the end results will definitely not look like my own Doom.

Using a zoanthrope as a base, naturally, and using some spare Mawloc bits that he passed to me, I quickly kit-bashed a Doom for him.

I'm actually rather please with how this Doom turned out as well, and am now pondering my unwise decision of sacrificing the venomthrope for my own doom conversion. The end result is still a very cool Doom with the added advantage of not being way over the top, top heavy, and a spare venomthrope to boot!

Ah well, no point in crying over spilt milk. Have a look at the pic and tell me what you think.

Last edited by easternheretic; 18-04-2010 at 02:50.

hey man sweet looking doom of malantai, and the tyrannofex is amazing, great sculpting! looking forward to see the paint jobs!

Another interesting take on the doom. The only (albeit minor) thing that looks a bit wierd, is the tail. The GS part looks a bit bulky - I usually end up blending it to the metal parts with a dremel multi tool.

I'm currently running away from building the next Zoanthrope and you've already built two of them! I think they are one of the worst models to put together!

Yeah, the GS tail needs smoothing out somewhat, but I love the brain sculpt you done - big thumbs up :-)
    Necrons, 'Nids 'n' Eldar Log

Quote Originally Posted by clansman View Post
    hey man sweet looking doom of malantai, and the tyrannofex is amazing, great sculpting! looking forward to see the paint jobs!
    Thanks for stopping by, I'll be posting painted pics soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezmord View Post
    Another interesting take on the doom. The only (albeit minor) thing that looks a bit wierd, is the tail. The GS part looks a bit bulky - I usually end up blending it to the metal parts with a dremel multi tool.

I'm currently running away from building the next Zoanthrope and you've already built two of them! I think they are one of the worst models to put together!
    I was intending to sand the GS on the tail smoother, but never got round to it. The very reasons that got you running from the model, was the very reason I did not smooth it out.

Attaching the tail to the torso, those smoke stacks and the fiddly little arms had me raging mad that I just couldn't look at the model anymore and I had to put it aside. It slipped my mind and unfortunately I can't go back as I have already passed the model to my friend.

On a slightly tangent note, for those seriously bad casting with parts that refuse to fit together! I suggest using pliers to bend the surfaces and/or some filing if necessary to get the surfaces relatively flat and running a steel wire brush over the surfaces to be stuck together with glue to remove any residual non glue-able agents. I didn't exactly time myself, this time round, but it was definately a lot faster gluing those annoying parts together then the first time round.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenova View Post
    Yeah, the GS tail needs smoothing out somewhat, but I love the brain sculpt you done - big thumbs up :-)
    I wish I could go back, but I've already passed the model to my friend. Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers!

Attaching the tail to the torso, those smoke stacks and the fiddly little arms had me raging mad
    I'm feeling with you... especially the small stacks on the lower back nearly drove me insane...

Hey man, lookin' sweet again! Now I know how to use all that extra gubbins you get in a trygon kit (and as I have two...)

Your projects are beginning to turn more and more interesting (especially the crazy conversions). Must stop by more often, then.

Although I have one concern: you have started to convert more than paint things.. Paint some up, please!
    If you liked my comment, please return the favor and comment on something I've made!
    How about checking out this random cavalcade?

I'm crazy and I'm Finnish. Don't blame me, it's the polar bears!

Very cool work
    - Commander Tony
    need inspiration? Follow me! Follow me

BBBrrRAINNNNSsss....

Doom of Malacca has some real brains there.

Good job dude!

Tyrannofex: What a beast!! It's like a fat T-Rex with a cannon on his back - that is good, no offense
    Those Dooms of Malantai are also quite an inspiration.
    Quote Originally Posted by BramGaunt View Post
    Space Marine amouflage - makes your eyes hurt so much you have to look away...
    NOTHING IS MORE BRUTAL THAN A CHAINFIST IN THE HEAD....
    By Chains and Glass

Red Nidz, some inquisitorial staff and... a mushroom

Chapter Master

Wow, simply amazing! I have started to try my own Nids (but only finished a flying Tyrant so far and I need a lot more paractice at building using GS/putty/etc) and your work is very inspirational. I very much like how you talk through what you're doing. When my Nids grow up, they want to be like easternheretic's.
    Trying to contact living relatives of Sam 'Jock' Wilson, KIA 10.06.44, UK army id 2764432, from Morley, West Yorkshire, England. Served with Black Watch Regiment & 6 Commando.
    Facing the Tau's Third Expansion, many Guard units were routed from the field or driven to suicide by the horrifying and infectious battle-cry of Commander Shadowsun [redacted for the safety of the reader]: "I'm blu*...da ba dee...da ba di...da b* dee...da ba di..."

Quote Originally Posted by Goat of Yuggoth View Post
    Hey man, lookin' sweet again! Now I know how to use all that extra gubbins you get in a trygon kit (and as I have two...)

Your projects are beginning to turn more and more interesting (especially the crazy conversions). Must stop by more often, then.

Although I have one concern: you have started to convert more than paint things.. Paint some up, please!
    Cheers Goat, I really enjoy converting stuff. More so than painting BUT I'll try to allocate more time to paint the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tcraigen View Post
    Very cool work
    Thanks tcraigen. I'm glad you like the stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Putty View Post
    BBBrrRAINNNNSsss....

Doom of Malacca has some real brains there.

Good job dude!
    Cheers Putty old chap!

Quote Originally Posted by harlekin View Post
    Tyrannofex: What a beast!! It's like a fat T-Rex with a cannon on his back - that is good, no offense
    Those Dooms of Malantai are also quite an inspiration.
    Thanks harlekin, and no worries.!

Quote Originally Posted by andyg2006 View Post
    Wow, simply amazing! I have started to try
    my own Nids (but only finished a flying Tyrant so far and I need a lot more paractice at building using GS/putty/etc) and your work is very inspirational. I very much like how you talk through what you're doing. When my Nids grow up, they want to be like easternheretic's.
    Thanks andyg2006. May your nids grow up better than mine. I have a pretty abysmal track record on the gaming boards!

Sorry for lack of post, I've been rushing to finish painting some Space marines as a pledge among my gaming group for an upcoming event here called SPORE con.

My gaming group are organizing the Apoc game to be held on Sunday, and we have decided to contribute the apoc formation of the Space Marine Honor company (I believe that is what it is called. Please don't blame a "xenos scum" i.e. me: getting the name of a Space Marine formation wrong!)

On top of that, the shortage of terrain had got us in a tizzy for a while as well.

Needless to say, my nids have been placed on the back burner, while I painted the marines over the month, and some more terrain just this past weekend. It was a long weekend, so we had three days to finish around 30 pieces of terrain.

I had wondered whether to start a new log in the imperial side of life, but find that I don't update my log enough as it is, and splitting it up will result in some major thread dormancy issues.

So the marines and the terrain will be shown here!

So here are the first marines I've painted in well over 10 years!

So here are 30 marines I've pledged to Spore con in the colours of the Ultramarines 2nd and 4th company, 10 marines each, and the last 10 are from the Mentor Legion.

On a slightly tangent note. I'm wondering why the decals provided are so big? The Ultramarine chapter symbol as well as the troop choice arrow all refused to settle nicely on the curved marine shoulder pad.

If you look closely, you can see that the decals are not applied well. It is probably due to the lack of decal application skills on my part, but a slightly smaller decal will sit very well on the shoulder pad and this won't even be an issue.

On another tangent note, I must say that the AoBR marines are at the same time, some nice looking detailed models, and the dumbest looking space marines ever! Who on earth came up with that weird shoulder shrug pose? Painting 19 of them became quite painful. That shoulder shrug is just so ridiculous.

Terrain will be in the next post due to pic limit.

Cheers!

Here are the various terrain pieces that were painted over the weekend. The 2 bastions and a fair bit of aegis defense lines did not make the photo shot, as one of our group left earlier, taking them with him.

Some ever so slightly more detailed shots.

I must say, that having a weekend long painting session with a deadline looming is actually a whole lot of fun. I highly recommend it to any one who wishes to spend some time having a grand old time!

SPORE con is on this weekend, and I'll try and get pics of the Apoc battle we will be having!

C & C welcome.

Cheers

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast