Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic Travel 40k!

Magnetic Travel 40k!

Hello all!

Not long ago in my local GW I was chatting with a friend and had the revelation of magnetic travel 40k - the ability to while away a long train or car journey with a game of 40k seemed incredibly tempting. As such, I set to work using epic figures, and managed this - a fully magnetic Warhammer 40,000 game with terrain and the first 2 1,500 point armies, all replete with magnets!

Space Marines against Chaos:

Objective:

Daemon Princes:

Land Raider Redeemer:

Vigorous upside down shaking only dislodges the Thunderhawk due to it's excessive weight, everything else, including the metal land raider, stays firmly attached and doesn't move. There are also little templates, and each inch is scaled down to half a centimetre, so the board is a little over 4' x 4' when scaled up.

I'd stated I'd get it finished before Games Day, and so help me, so I have. After the event I'll gradually work on 1,500 points of Orks for this project, interspersed with other projects such as a Warhammer Empire army and so forth.

Gotta say, it's pretty fun.

Arrow Re: Magnetic Travel 40k!

That is fantastic! I'd thought about using Epic for mini-40k some years ago, but this is simply ingenious.

How do you handle dice though?
    |Dark Mechanicus Log | Bits for Trade |Dr. McNinja | All the Games! | Models Painted: 2006 - 53 | 2007 - 5 | 2008 - 3 | 2009 - 0 | 2010 - 18 | 2011 - 6 | 2012 - 20 | 2013 - 5 | 2014 - 25 | 2015 - 19 | 2016 - 35 | 2017 - 25

Brother Sergeant

Re: Magnetic Travel 40k!

Amazing! What a wonderful project! Is it possible to discriminate special weapons or do you play with static/easier lists?

Special weapons were a slight issue, but after a bit of thought I just changed the missile launchers in a consistent way to represent certain guns, so for example melta guns are much smaller, multi meltas have the back bit still on to make them longer etc.

As for dice, y'know those really, really small 4 or 5 mm square dice? Those're the ones, and in a similar vein, the tape measure used is from a Christmas cracker.

I've definitely think that this is a very well though out and executed. what kind of magnets did you use? Are there any issues removing them from the board without breaking the models (particularly infantry)?

:edit: Thanks for the reply (#6 below).

Thanks Slaaaaaanesh. Ceramic magnets were used for the infantry, allowing them to be removed easily with no feeling of magnetic resistance, yet it's strong enough to keep them on even with a hell of a lot of shaking. Tanks, scenery and the Princes all use rare earth magnets, since they're 10 times stronger and hold them on well, yet the figures can still be easily removed since they're larger.

Very cool!

I once saw something similar, where someone used a hole puncher and the rubberized magnet strips to create a travel size Space Hulk game using epic minis. They used a hole punch to pop little circular magnets for the bottom of the epic minis, and since those magnetic strips come with peel and place adhesive no glue needed.
    Come see my Knight Titan blog. I'm looking for feedback as I digitally model this beast and have it prototyped. http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211973

Elysian High Mobility Chimera
    http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum...st/275225.page

Absolutely brilliant! Love the effort you put into making this.

That is so awesome all I can say is inspired, mate!
    RSPCA - Royal Society for the Preservation of Craftworld Avatars. Put a stop to Avatar abuse. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortheempire View Post
    Plus what could Lorgar possibly be meditating on for 9-10 thousand years? Was he producing Guns N Roses last album?

Quote Originally Posted by aka_mythos View Post
    Very cool!

I once saw something similar, where someone used a hole puncher and the rubberized magnet strips to create a travel size Space Hulk game using epic minis. They used a hole punch to pop little circular magnets for the bottom of the epic minis, and since those magnetic strips come with peel and place adhesive no glue needed.
    Travel Spacehulk... now There is a genius idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymphus
    -"In my mind, you're a lictor sitting at a PC and making sarcastic comments to the family of rippers next door."
    -"I agree. PCs break and enter into places, commit many senseless acts of murder by slaughtering creatures for acting their nature, loot and pillage their fallen enemies homes, and then return to town and celebrate with a drink.

Sociopaths wish they had it this good.
    "

You are a king sir! If only I had the patience, I'd much rather do this than actually collect a full size 40K army!

-Moronguhl
    Epic Valhallans:a "third generation" Epic project log

I can certainly see the appeal of that Moronguhl, considering it took 2 and a half hours to paint everything, heh.

Very nice idea. Don't they sell electronic dice calculators?
    You just type in how many 6 sided dice you want and it gives out the results.
    Save the Earth: It's the only planet with chocolate.
    My Project Logs:
    Tommygun's Backwater Forgeworld: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126270
    Tommygun's Xenotechnology: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244950
    Tommygun does what with paper?: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226343
    Tommygun Ironworks http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304880
    New Paper web site: http://www.modelpaperworld.com/en/

I salute you sir!
    MY LOG Lots of different projects for both Fantasy and 40k.

Genius! You should make 25 of these and sell them on eBay. I don't think it would Violate GW's IP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain of Chaos View Post
    I think i'd rather hope for the infintisimal prospect of advancment in the Imperium than live in a galaxy where all the aliens looked like humans with varying head ridges.
    World's Slowest Pre-Heresy Death Guard Log
    Grey Knights Forums

Awsome!!!

I have many many old Epic minis lying around my old parents' house, and now I know what to do with them...

Great job: this thread and the idea deserve 5 stars!!!

cheers

this is a cool idea

How do you modify the rules for the smaller scale?

1/8" is 1" or so? EDIT- ah, half a cm
    Last edited by floyd pinkerton; 14-09-2008 at 18:00. Reason: silly me
    We are HULL CITY A.F.C.
    NO to Hull Tigers

Quote Originally Posted by floyd pinkerton View Post
    this is a cool idea

How do you modify the rules for the smaller scale?

1/8" is 1" or so?
    cm to mm seems like it could work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain of Chaos View Post
    I think i'd rather hope for the infintisimal prospect of advancment in the Imperium than live in a galaxy where all the aliens looked like humans with varying head ridges.
    World's Slowest Pre-Heresy Death Guard Log
    Grey Knights Forums

You sir are an absolute genious. Only got one more thing to say to you.
    Sell the idea to GW for loads!

Like I said very nice idea cant wait for more of this!

Sahaal
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie159 View Post
    "beaky" marines think of the aero-dynamics of the helmet!
    "The Enemy wishes to fight brothers. Let us indulge them!!!"

Cheers guys! I took this to GD UK, and spoke to quite a few designers etc, and managed to get pictures of it taken by the web design guy, so with luck it'll appear on the GW website soon enough...

As for how it was made, a quick tutorial, to be expanded upon later:

1) Find a travel game with a big enough case.
    2) Remove the card from on top of the case, and find either some metal sheet, or other little magnetic travel games (in my case, 5 little games).
    3) Remove the metal sheeting from the magnetic games and essentially plate the big case.
    4) Glue flock paper on the top, and varnish spray it several times to help everything stay on (or alternatively spray the metal black, flock it, then varnish).
    5) Get your epic figures of choice, and file the bases down, attaching them to -ceramic- magnets for troops and -rare earth- magnets for anything larger. If you use rare earth magnets for the normal troops, they can break off when you try to pick them up. A ceramic magnet will still hold them on even with vigorous shaking, I've tested it.
    6) Paint!

There you go, travel 40k.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast