With the Codex in hand, it is time to look at the possibilities of the Codex. There are already several discussions on about the possibilities of combining several Marine Special Characters, but it may be better serve if all discussions are located in one thread.
Things that i have noted and posted in the DA thread in discussion with my battle brothers there;
1. Unique Characters as you have mentioned, some are down right nutsy with their special capablities. However, in many instances, we can strike before they can in CC as most of them now operate at I4 instead of I5, and a few of them carrying PFs and THs will again allow us to strike first. Having orbital bombardment could be fun though.
2. HQs. There is some limitations as to how they can equipped their HQs, but most importantly, Rites of Battle is gone from most of them. Command squads are slightly superior to ours. Apothecary now gives FNP to the whole squad. Yes FNP is slightly nerfed, but having FNP is better than no FNP.
3. Psykers. IMO i dont think their powers are any better ours. Their 'hood is also limited to a range of 24" to nullify opposition's psykers.
4. Elites. Oh my. I do wish we can have Sternguards. That will really compliment our shooting. Ironclads would be good as well. Assault terminators with TH/SS, wants to make me cry.
5. Troops. Having scouts are fantastic but BS3 WS3? While i do admit that does fall into the Fluff a little, gamewise.....Tacticals, ours win hands down. Theirs can't take anything with having 10 men. And the free stuff is also limited.
6. Fast attack. Assault squads can take flamers!! Scout bikes looks interesting as well, but can't really say about their effectiveness. Vanguard...ouch, both in abilities and cost.
7. Heavy. Some glaring benefits for SM. Do you know that most of the vehicles that shoot ordnance is also barrage? That means that even a vindy can shoot without LOS! Tri-las pred....for every 2 of their we can buy 3.