Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Night Goblin fanatics

Brother Sergeant

Night Goblin fanatics

If a unit charges my night goblin spearmen and I unleash my night goblin fanatic and roll low enough the after their charge is through they are sitting on top of where my fanatic was, does this fall into the 'Out of Control' rule where they take 2d6 S5 hits?

This happened last weekend and the guy seemed really bent out of shape about it so I just let the night goblin move through his unit and only take 1d6 S5 hits. I just want this cleared up for next time.

Thank

Brother Sergeant

Re: Night Goblin fanatics

Page 25 in the Greenskin Tome, "Out of Control" clearly states that if a unit finishes its move (Charge qualifies as a move) over the Fanatic, the Fanatic is removed from play, but does an additional D6 Str 6 hits (death throes) for a total of 2D6 Str 6 hits.

That's a lot of damage for the charging unit to suffer, but dem's da rules.

Next time take 3 Fanatics and see how he likes dem apples.
    Last edited by Zot Zot; 18-09-2008 at 03:42. Reason: Clarification
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six.

Zot Zot nailed it. 2D6 damage and they're crushed.
    The (Rat)Men of (Under)Talabheim! - A Painting Log
    All Corners of the Empire II - Another Painting Log

Quote Originally Posted by dalezzz View Post
    never look at a rules thread with more than 1 page

Brother Sergeant

Thanks all. Won't be the nice guy next time.

Also, I think he has the option of not moving over the fanatic but I am not sure if he can stop a charge.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.

S5, not S6.

S5, armour piercing.
    The (Rat)Men of (Under)Talabheim! - A Painting Log
    All Corners of the Empire II - Another Painting Log

Quote Originally Posted by dalezzz View Post
    never look at a rules thread with more than 1 page

And you specifically cannot stop the charge, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet
    wtf? Didn't you know jwolf was perfect in every way? Geez, you're behind on times.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMatrix View Post
    If a unit charges my night goblin spearmen and I unleash my night goblin fanatic and roll low enough the after their charge is through they are sitting on top of where my fanatic was, does this fall into the 'Out of Control' rule where they take 2d6 S5 hits?

This happened last weekend and the guy seemed really bent out of shape about it so I just let the night goblin move through his unit and only take 1d6 S5 hits. I just want this cleared up for next time.

Thank
    The correct procedure would be to

1. Release your fanatics.
    2. The chargers to move into contact with the fanatic and take 1d6 hits. This might cause a panic test and force the chargers to flee.
    3. The chargers complete the move into contact with the night goblins. They take another 1d6 hits as the fanatic dies. They need not take a panic test as they are now in close combat.

-T10
    Will Orc for food!

And here I thought that the fanatics spin through on contact during initial release and come out the other side.

They spin through during their movement part of the phase if they come into contact with the enemy, however if they end up sat infront of a charging unit then that units charge move takes them into contact with the fanatic(s) and then also ends movement on top of said fanatic(s) then it is not moved through as it was done moving and this unit essentially walked into a fanatic and ended up on top of it just as if they had moved over one in their movement phase after it had been released and so they take 2D6 hits.

The "initial release" part is of no consequence. Any time the Fanatic moves into a unit it "spins through", but never when a unit moves into the Fanatic.

-T10
    Will Orc for food!

Funniest thing to do is release them through a unit waiting to charge you in it's next turn then hand of gork one or two back through in the magic phase to sit neatly in front leaving one or two behind them incase they flee.

Aye! 9 Loose Fanatics in front of an enemies battle line plus "The Wagghh!!" spell goin off= pure joy in life

Quote Originally Posted by Valaraukar View Post
    Funniest thing to do is release them through a unit waiting to charge you in it's next turn then hand of gork one or two back through in the magic phase to sit neatly in front leaving one or two behind them incase they flee.

I never realized you can move your fanatics with magic, that gives me some new awesome tactics for the chaos chosen everyong has around here.

i am not very happy, with this type of tactic. unless (by pure chance, as your move is compulsory) your enemy presents multiple units close together or you want to reposition your fanatic, this makes little sense. (well, magic resistance or not having another spell might be a reason as well..)

you will cause D6 S5 hits (AP), with a 9+ spell, when foot of gork will do S6 hits anywhere on the table. and only, when your movement hits the unit.

this is a gimmick, and you will be better of moving a unit in 95% of times.

-----------------------------

how do you guys play fanatics against flyers? is there an FAQ?

Ermm no it makes perfect sense it is just situational and if the opportunity presents well worth doing IMO. The point is to tie up an expensive unit with a tactic like this which has to risk a FURTHER D6 S5 hits in order to charge you or 2D6 if they end up on top of the fanatics you've left in front of them or spend an age trying to reposition out the way of them dodging the ones behind taking them out of the game for a good couple of turns. Also if they elect to charge and then take sufficient casualties to force a panic check and they flee they will run straight through another fanatic or two hopefully reducing them to under US5 and therefore unable to rally.

Explain to me why that is such a poor tactic if the correct opportunity presents itself.

Ermm no it makes perfect sense it is just situational and if the opportunity presents well worth doing IMO. The point is to tie up an expensive unit with a tactic like this which has to risk a FURTHER D6 S5 hits in order to charge you or 2D6 if they end up on top of the fanatics you've left in front of them or spend an age trying to reposition out the way of them dodging the ones behind taking them out of the game for a good couple of turns. Also if they elect to charge and then take sufficient casualties to force a panic check and they flee they will run straight through another fanatic or two hopefully reducing them to under US5 and therefore unable to rally.

Explain to me why that is such a poor tactic if the correct opportunity presents itself.
    it's just that magic is AFTER movement. So your fanatics could be really, really a long way from any unit to touch anything). Unless you do your "WAAAGGH!" (if it is affected)

Quote Originally Posted by Storak View Post
    you will cause D6 S5 hits (AP), with a 9+ spell, when foot of gork will do S6 hits anywhere on the table. and only, when your movement hits the unit.
    -----------------------------
    how do you guys play fanatics against flyers? is there an FAQ?
    If he can pull it off to get 9 fanatics in position, I'd say its a Waaagh!! spell well spend.

Flyers are allways trouble. I see no problem ruleswise though. Flyers have to land as soon as the fanatics are released (apparently for the sole purpose of bein slaughtered, as whotname pointed out not to long ago ), fanatic stuff is resolved before moving the flyers any further.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Think like an Orc, win like an Orc!

Because Big is Sexy and i just do not care about if its the best thing or not just that it will look awesome on the table and will hurt something sometime. Most times. WAAAAGH!!!

Indeed, the WAAAGH thing is really cool. 9 fanatics suddenly spinning right where you want them (do note that the FAQ says you can send them in the direction you want by using the spell) can be devastating. Even 2 or 3 can have that effect!
    And don't forget your whole army surging forward at the same time, it all just adds up!

Concerning flyers, as Da Gobbo says, its FAQ'ed. When they are released, they stop and land for fanatic purposes. You could imagine this as the flyers swooping in low and suddenly caught by mad gobbo's. In other cases where the fanatics move, the flyers are on the ground anyway and are affected. If the flyers move and encounter a already released fanatic, I do believe that they can fly over it normally, without any hits. They are not crazy afterall, when seeing a mad whirlwind on the battlefield...
    Tale of Fantasy Painters hall of fame: 2008/09 edition, 2009/10 edition, 2010/11 edition, 2011/12 edition

Even I have a Blog nowadays...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast