Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28

Thread: Engel's Imperial Fists Blog

CADIA STANDS! For The Emperor! For St Pius!

Re: Engel's Imperial Fists Blog

Mate I hate to say this but, they are sexy SM scum. I hate SM!
    Colonel Jacka
    12th Cadian Mech Regt (Orphan Brigade)
    Battle Group Imperators Aegis

CADIA STANDS!! All Hail St Pius! (RHUF)
    Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post

Proper pics with decals probably this weekend. Mass Effect is eating up a lot of my time right now...
    You're not the only one. Splendid work though.
    If GW was a Chaos god, they'd be fueled by nerd rage.@MrBigMr

Walls fall. Fists do not!!!

IF 5th company :
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...63#post5924863

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Thanks all!

Minor update - Instead of finishing and sealing the Templars, I decided to craft my own tabard for the walking guy. He just stood out too much. Apparently Dynat's CAPE is separate, but his tabard is not so.... Yeah.

The "buckle" is from the leather strips tabard from Betrayal at Calth, with all the extra bits you don't see cut off.

The tabard itself is from the SM Bike sprue, with some very precise cutting and sanding to give it some more folds and texture without going overboard. Not quite the same style as the rest of the squad, but serviceable.

Still obviously in the process of painting it.

At last, here they are, done and dusted (and sealed).

I'm really pleased with how they turned out. The tabard on the last guy isn't my favourite, but it turned out okay and still ties him to the rest of the squad. The gold weapons I think really helped break up the silver/white/black dominance of the model and bring some more weight to the gold/yellow.

I actually made this a 5-shot panorama, taking a shot with manual focus on each model, and then using Photoshop's photomerge tool to blend them together. I quite like it. A 2 second timer is enough to remove the slight tilt from shutter button pressure.

With their Captain! I can tell the difference between the detail on a character series model and the other resin bits I got. Sigismund's fist details were WAY easier to paint. Still, I think they mesh okay.

I also finished the captain, with a little help on the freehand golden fist (know your limits!). I'm very pleased with how everything turned out, from the shield, to the sword, to the gold, to the details I added over time. I know it's taken me bloody ages to do, but I'm REALLY glad I took my time.

I ended up reshading the black one I had painted on the with some white paint and using a decal, as I had the perfect size decal.

The golden fist on the inside is way better than I could have done, and works perfectly with the shape of the cape.

And yeah, still really pleased with the shield.

Next on the plate is a Night Lord's Terror Squad, then it's on to the Storm Raven. I've found Vallejo Air gold yellow is a great match for the old citadel black-cap Golden Yellow, so I'll be doing a quick test this weekend I hope.

Commander

Nice job they look the biz

Great models - the black/yellow colour scheme really marks them out
    I am the monkey and I can go anywhere :chrome:

View my Blood Angel and Imperial Guard project log - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228657

Thanks all!

Feeling motivational this Saturday!

There's a ton of beautiful minis around here that get a ton of attention, and there are some who come here purely for inspiration and aren't comfortable posting their stuff (I know I'm intimidated sometimes!). I came across some pics of my Ultramarines from 2004 and just thought I'd share a comparison to what I did late last year.

Never stop trying to improve, never turn down criticism and never take it personally. Learn and grow. That is all. Keep sharing everyone!

Mild distraction - I got bit by the Custodes bug a tiny bit...

I'm constantly frustrated by FW putting out rules and no models, and I dediced I wanted Solarite Gauntlets on a unit of Sentinels, so it was off to eBay for some bits. Still some cleaning, touch ups, and some press detail casting to do, but I'm very satisfied with how these Tartaros power fists fit as Solarite Gauntlets for my Custodes Sentinel Squad.

One guy kept his sword.

This guy is going to have the unit's Vexila. Now I just need a left-handed alternate vexila option. I looked at Age of Sigmar, but didn't see anything.

Taking a break from finished thing from a while while I try and figure out how to effective reproduce the yellow with the current set of paints, as Tamiya seems to have changed THEIR formula as well now too to where it won't stick to bare plastic anymore (TS or PS varieties require a primer now it seems, which is probably as it should have been, and serves me right!).

I've ordered perhaps the last set of the old SM snap-fit models from Vedros to experiment with, so expect some mad science soon. And then... THE STORM RAVEN.

Cheers all!

Phew.

It's taken me LONG time, but I've finally found a spray method that is a decent equivalence of my old method.

It took some sacrifices though.

Left to right:

1. White undercoat, Tamiya PS-19, Vellejo Model Air Gold Yellow
    2. White undercoat, Tamiya TS-34, Vellejo Model Air Gold Yellow
    3. Grey undercoat, Tamiya PS-19, Vellejo Model Air Gold Yellow
    4. Grey undercoat, Tamiya TS-34, Vellejo Model Air Gold Yellow
    5. Straight up Vellejo Model Air Sun Yellow over plastic
    6. White undercoat, Vellejo Model Sun Gold Yellow
    7. Averland Sunset undercoat, Tamiya PS-19, Sun Yellow, Gold Yellow - This is where I THOUGHT I was close, but it's a bit too dark compared to the previous models.
    8. Averland Sunset undercoat, Tamiya PS-19, Gold Yellow - This is it. I think.

I THINK this is all correct, but Sun Yellow and Gold Yellow are very similar in the bottles, so I have to do another couple of tests to make sure everything is correct. Luckily I bought a tactical squad and got to have some fun assembling models specifically for their sacrifices to the paint god.

Ta-DA!

The new guy is a bit rough, but I was satisfied enough with the comparison that I wanted to see how he panned out with all the other colours. I chose to compare him to my

I'm not a huge fan of GW's kits having the hand attached to the guns, but eh.

I ended up choosing method 8 because he appeared, at first blush, to be close to one of the old tactical sergeants.

After painting him, it was clear the tactical sergeant, like many of my earlier models, was more yellow and less "gold/orangey yellow" so I compared him to the Emperor's Champion mini and he's a great fit.

I think method 7 is close too, just a little too yellow yellow, but not quite gold enough to match the tactical guy. I'm in the right direction, but I think I need to lean more towards the gold/orangey yellow for vehicles to match the overall colour of the army.

Pro-tip everyone: Just pick simple colours and don't go nuts. This has been a chore in and of itself.

My custodes plan is also thoroughly OTT, because I just don't learn!

1. Airbrushed Scale75 Black Metal for the basecoat
    2. Drybrushed Scale75 Heavy Metal on all the raised areas and edges.
    3. Wash it with a thinned-down layer of Army Painter Dark Tone,
    4. Very thinned down Agrax Earthshade
    5. Lightest bits Scale75 Speed Metal
    6. Another super thin wash of Earthshade.

We'll see how that goes...

Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 20-08-2017 at 18:14.

I've done another test model and I'm super satisfied. Next test is a Rhino.

My frustration currently resides with GW's decision a few years ago to make the hands fused to bolters. Very frustrating to match. I much prefer the old method where you clipped the handle off the gun...

Phew what a ride this squad has been.

Most of these were experiments to get consistent yellow that matches my 10 year old method. Most are now reasonably matchy (yay airbrush!) Yes, they're a lot more "golden" than most Fists you see nowadays, but I love it and it's mine. I keep trying to make a consistent panorama, but I've given up! If someone wants a fun photostitch/depth of field challenge the Photoshop hates, let me know!

The Sergeant was a bit of an accident, but he works. The MKVI marine with the black shoulder pad seems a bit of a workaround for the company markings, and I quite enjoy it.

The MKVIII guy blends in nicely, despite being probably most different at his base. The arms and shoulders were done from scratch which really helped.

Love this guy in the middle.

I think I probably need to do some Night Lords next, but I might also go for a Rhino for this squad to see what it's like on a vehicle before I tackle the Storm Raven...

Further progress on a test vehicle.

I like it. Kudos to GW on making this kit fully swappable with no extra work. Hunter or Stalker super easy!

There's also a rhino I did for the squad above, but that's getting matte varnished tomorrow.

Veteran Sergeant Chartist Captain's Avatar

Most of the large Imperial Fist armies I've seen have slightly different shades of yellow in their ranks. That's how I found out yellow isn't all that easy of a color to work with. That's a lot of work you do for the color but it does look god. If you have slightly different tones though it could add character like: these guys are from this battle barge with slightly different maintenance protocols or they fought on some planet that got hit with a solar flare.

Thanks Chartist!

It's close enough across the broad strokes to be cohesive as a whole fortunately, it's just the side by sides that bother me. Sigh. At least my Night Lords won't have that problem!

The final method for the yellow is:

1. GW Averland Sunset spray
    2. 2-3 THIN spray coats (like, the thinnest possible) of Tamiya PS-19 Camel Yellow
    3. Krylon matte varnish. This is necessary because PS-19 dries super duper slick and otherwise... Nothing sticks to it.
    4. 2-3 spray layers, including a zenithal highlight of Vallejo Game Air Gold Yellow 72.707
    5. Highlights are GW classic Golden Yellow, but Vallejo Gold Yellow would do as well

I sat down and finished the base of the Hunter/Stalker, and the Hunter turret this week. It's come out pretty well. Super stoked GW included the parts to make both and there's no crossover parts. Just adding some decals and then a pic before the weekend is out!

I promised pics, and pics there shall be.

I went for some subtler iconography on this compared to some of the other vehicles. I didn't want to detract from the yellow and black dichotomy.

Pro tip though - Assemble the housing for the targeting lenses AFTER painting. Putting them together having glued the "tent" to the round turret base was a mistake and not fun.

I quite like the axe/wings combo. I'm TEMPTED to order a rhino with extra armour and pop the Stalker on it and just have more tanks... But then I think back on the process of painting vehicles... Man I hate painting vehicles.

Mustn't forget the reference yellow pic, and of course, a shot of the "school bus parking lot."

Finished the Stalker!

Bit of a frustrating model to paint overall, but that's probably my fault.

The paint match is still good, and some nice work with magnets means they actually rotate!

These are fantastic! One of the best I've seen without doubt!
    Great conversions and colour scheme!

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28