Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Engel's Imperial Fists Blog

Re: Engel's Imperial Fists Blog

Dot 4 brake fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    This I'm really proud of. I'm going to sculpt the gun to the hands properly, as well as attach a strap (and add the GS casting details) to this later tonight but just to have a left-handed Marine firing with both hands makes me happy. No one around here will do that.
    No one will do what? make you happy or swap the direction? I've been doing it occasionally for years, I posted a guy in my most recent unit doing it kneeling a month or so ago. I try encourage it all the time as I hate always seeing righties. Looks good, I like that you used the commander's bolter with the new feed.

Veteran Sergeant Elizas Guardianangel's Avatar

Where did you get the ammo clips for the stern guard? I've been wanting to do some sternguard conversions myself but the only bits that I can find that have that ammo clip are termi storm bolters and pintle mounted storm bolters. Both of which I have a deficit of.
    Warhammer 40k: Ultramarines and Eldar
    Warhammer Fantasy Battle: Ogre Kingdoms and Dwarves
    Necromunda: Orlocks
    My Ultramarine/Eldar/Ogre/Dwarf Project log

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elizas Guardianangel View Post
    Where did you get the ammo clips for the stern guard? I've been wanting to do some sternguard conversions myself but the only bits that I can find that have that ammo clip are termi storm bolters and pintle mounted storm bolters. Both of which I have a deficit of.
    Yeah, back in 2005 I converted an entire squad of plastic terminators to assault terminators so I have a vast amount of spare clips. I'd never even thought about the pintle-mounted ones!

Each storm bolter with the square feed gives two regular bolter clips.

Quote Originally Posted by tcraigen View Post
    No one will do what? make you happy or swap the direction? I've been doing it occasionally for years, I posted a guy in my most recent unit doing it kneeling a month or so ago. I try encourage it all the time as I hate always seeing righties. Looks good, I like that you used the commander's bolter with the new feed.
    I meant the direction swap. I've seen a few conversions on the Internet, but never one in person. It's kind of a pain to do, but I might attempt it a couple of times in the next tactical squad I buy (Long way off! Must finish what I have!)

There are plenty of ways to make me happy.

Love the marines Engel, I see you went for the termi box feeds for your Sternguard. I've been using the pintle mounted storm bolters for mine, which work quite well, especially if your vehicles don't need them!

Quote Originally Posted by swamp_slug View Post
    Love the marines Engel, I see you went for the termi box feeds for your Sternguard. I've been using the pintle mounted storm bolters for mine, which work quite well, especially if your vehicles don't need them!
    Pintle-mounted storm-bolters are only there so Rhino's don't get immobilized on the first hit anyway.

Alright, quick update!

Finished Tactical Squad I now, which is perfect. I'll be stripping all the other models I used at some point, giving me two command squads (or I'll just remove some arms and use them as Veterans or something)

I'm very pleased with the overall colour. The bright yellow is weird, I think the orangey-yellow is a much more realistic shade and in keeping with 40k's atmosphere. The highlights aren't quite that sharp, the flash brings out it a tad more than they really are.

And Christmas presents have been ordered, some Terminators and two FW Broadsides and two more XV-89's to complete my Tau army at last! It's going to be a busy 2009...
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 21:34.

Yay you finished it! I like the weapon the the guy in the middle has.

Well, some DOT-3 brake fluid has managed to save an entire Tactical Squad's worth of miniatures, so they're currently in the process of being filed and shaved to make sure they're perfect for a new spray.

I've also grabbed a new point-and-shoot, which manages to take decent pics without me having to fangle with ISO settings and such. For final production shots, I'll be using my SLR and a tripod, but for quick progress shots, it works fine.

And so:

My test Veteran!

I was actually really pleased with how the white worked. I was worried it would look lame, but it looks really, really good. An extra few drops of water into the white paint-pot makes it spread evenly and awesome.

I'm very happy. Can't wait to get started on the rest.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 21:36.

Yay, good job!

I have added yet more to paint.

It's time for me to STOP BUYING and KICK UP THE PAINTING PACE.

Fists on top, Night Lords on the bottom. *sigh*

Added since last time?

Terminators and Assault Terminators.

Land Raider Crusader.

Sigh. I also have four more Forge World Tau battlesuits coming for Christmas...
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 21:38.

Hey, looking good, im gonna be stealing your method for the yelow as it will look ace on my howling griffons...
    I also made the same resolution at the start of '08 but broke it about 3 days later!!

Marines vs. Stuffed animals! I know the feeling it feels like I always have to much to paint and time keeps shrinking away.

That first finished squad looks excellent.

Looking forward to more.
    Captain Senioris
    Edinburgh League of Gamers
    Captain's Log... -Last update: Contemptor Dreadnought 22/07/11

Quote Originally Posted by Batatius View Post
    Hey, looking good, im gonna be stealing your method for the yelow as it will look ace on my howling griffons...
    I also made the same resolution at the start of '08 but broke it about 3 days later!!
    I'd love to see Howling Griffons! Remember to do a test mini and make sure you buy the paint consistently!

Starting work on the second tactical squad today, the golden yellow drybrush and boltgun metal are done, but I'm taking it slow for the time being, Christmas is so damned demanding!

Quote Originally Posted by tcraigen View Post
    Marines vs. Stuffed animals! I know the feeling it feels like I always have to much to paint and time keeps shrinking away.
    Small children play with them when they come to visit.

Hey Engel is you wanna see them watch the space -

sorry for the slight threadjack
    Good stuff so far though - keep it up!!
    where do you buy your marines from out of interest? i get mine from an ebay shop for 11.

Alright so taking a break after finishing the second tactical squad (pics later, they're pretty much the same as the first) I've come to do some Assault Terminators.

I've run into a dilemma with the helmets and chest eagles. The chest eagles on Fists are always red, as are the ones on my veterans (at least on my chest veteran) but I've seen a few Vets around that look really good with white chests, so I thought about trying it with my Terminators

The other issue is the helmets. Traditionally, IF termies are painted with yellow helmets, but Codex pattern is white helmets (since other than the chest-eagle, Fists are Codex)

So, which to do:

Traditional yellow....

Or Codex white....

The decision rests with you!
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 21:40.

Hey it's looking great! I would go with white as the head...

I went with red, myself... White doesnt sit well with the yellow to me, whereas red makes a nice contrast

Tybalt Andrus's style with the white helmets looks really good, I'd go with that.
    Captain Senioris
    Edinburgh League of Gamers
    Captain's Log... -Last update: Contemptor Dreadnought 22/07/11

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast