Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Engel's Imperial Fists Blog

Re: Engel's Imperial Fists Blog

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSenioris View Post
    Tybalt Andrus's style with the white helmets looks really good, I'd go with that.
    I thank you, CS - the fiver is in the post!

My vote would most certainly be for white helmets, and mark the Sergeant out with a red-and-white combination. It's the way forward! You can see my Terminators via the link in my signature - somewhere around the third page, maybe?
    Imperial Fists 5th Company - Log and Retrospective

Inquisitor players, make sure you visit The Conclave for all your hobby needs.

For regular WiP updates and general hobby musings, head over to Facebook and follow Tybalt Andrus Paints.

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tybalt Andrus View Post
    I thank you, CS - the fiver is in the post!

My vote would most certainly be for white helmets, and mark the Sergeant out with a red-and-white combination. It's the way forward! You can see my Terminators via the link in my signature - somewhere around the third page, maybe?
    Yeah I think I'll go with the white - your yellow is a little less orange than mine, but I think the contrast still looks good (as I said when I did my test veteran, I was surprised by how much it actually stood out)

White it is!

Pictures to follow sometime this week, I only have tomorrow off thanks to working retail... Hopefully I can get most of the squad done, if not decalled.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, keep them coming, I hate having to keep dragging it up every time.

BEHOLD! The first finished Imperial Fist Terminator Sergeant.

No, I will not subscribe to this whole "Red-stripe" Sergeant theory, The Imperial Fists are a Codex chapter and for my purposes will be using codex markings!

I'm really pleased. I've found that I had to spend a lot more time on the Terminators to make them look as passable as the Tactical Marines. It seems like because they're bigger, greater care needs to be taken with each model because it'll be under greater scrutiny.

I enjoyed doing him, the shield especially. I did it simply, as he's not Lysander or anything so I didn't want to go OTT. I wanted it to be kind of a "stone" look, along with the Crux Terminatus, which I think looks better than a brighter bone, which would get lost within the body.

His name is Serano d'Angelus. He's awesome.

I'm very, very happy with him and it bodes well for the other, larger models in the force. His colour is consistent with the other marines, despite being much bigger, so I'm nowhere near as concerned about the vehicles matching the troops as I was.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 21:43.

very nice, makes me want to paint some fists of my own

Thanks.

Did you get my PM about the MK IV helmets?

One thing I just noticed is that the unsharp mask adjustment in photoshop brought out the camera flashes a bit much for my tastes, but I was editing in RAW and saved as a JPEG for uploading, so that's my own fault.

Yes I did thank you now to convert from Euro to USD and hope to god that I can afford it before I die.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Warlord View Post
    Yes I did thank you now to convert from Euro to USD and hope to god that I can afford it before I die.
    Currently the Veteran's squad is 15.65, which right now, translates to $23.10 USD. You'll pay about $5 shipping and you'll of course need the tactical squad itself (it's only a conversion kit).

Well worth it though, though you'll end up with quite a few spare Red Scorpion shoulder pads.

Finally finished one of the lightning claw terminators.

I'm not particularly satisfied with the colour mix, the lack of the red chest eagle and shoulder-pad band makes the termies look particularly monochromatic, hence the extra decal on the knee guard.

I wish there were more chest-eagle pieces in the terminator kit, enough for the whole squad, kind of like the Tac box which has ALMOST enough, just not enough legs...

Sigh.

I'm satisfied though. He'll do.

Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 21:44.

I like it, I also empathise with the whole chest eagle thing.
    Captain Senioris
    Edinburgh League of Gamers
    Captain's Log... -Last update: Contemptor Dreadnought 22/07/11

Assault terminators finished!

I'm really, really happy with how they turned out, despite the obvious lack of contrast that comes from normal marines shoulder pad trims.

I think the squad overall is cohesive, the X's, sometimes on the front, sometimes on the back. The standard terminators probably will get V's.

Cutting off the bottom of the chapter symbol was a bit weird, as I wasn't entirely sure if it was "done" so to speak. Unfortunately the decal was way too much of a pain in the ass to fit onto the curve further up the pad.

One thing I did do was use the larger crux's spread across the unit, including the leg (seen above) and crotch guard (on the guy in the next post)

Bionics FTW.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 21:45.

I love this thunderhammer pose, easily one of my favourites. I'll probably be buying another assault terminator box and reversing the configuration (2 LC's and 3 TH's) just so I can throw together two complete squads in any configuration in apocalypse games.

This is the replication of a post I have in my Ultramarines, I just love the imagery of walking forwards, ready to slice someone else to bits.

I spent a lot of time thinking about what scenic piece I would put on his base before deciding on the space marine helmet, which of course raises the question "why?" and then I decided to paint it as one of my Night Lords.

But there's no Chaosy bits on the helmet! I hear you say... and so I decided to paint a skull on it, a la the Night Lords Index Astartes. I'm quite excited about how it turned out, but not excited about one day doing this over and over again on some of my Night Lords...

The blue is heavily Badad Black washed Enchanted Blue.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 21:47.

Very noce work on the terminators mate, the yellow looks really smooth and the white helmets look pretty cool too.

Great job on the models Engel! It looks like you do a lot of black lining. I was wondering if you had any tips, you see I am starting a Black Templars Army who will just be night fighting in coal mines that have been flooded with crude oil. Haha! You know I am joking. I hope you are glad that I have finally joined, and I mean it, good job with the Fists.

Now, some assault marines!

Problem with using any kind of drybrush for consistent colour is that at some point, things are going to screw up. Such is the case with my assault marines.

The sergeant, when put next to my tacticals, look a bit more orange, so I did another light layer on the normal assault marines, who are now just a tad too light

I really like this guys pose.

Oh well. When they're all together, it blends well enough and you can't really tell.

Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 21:48.

I like your assault marines.

I'd put some gunbolt on that pre heresy helmet. He needs some contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin View Post
    I'd put some gunbolt on that pre heresy helmet. He needs some contrast.
    Done and done.

Good point though, I'll post pics tonight.

Taking a break from yellow by doing the great and awesome Librarian in Terminator Armour (IMHO, one of the best metal GW mini's ever produced)

I'm actually very, very pleased with how it's coming out. I actually had some serious doubts about it going into it, since I haven't done my Ultramarines, blue is something I'm a bit rusty with and doing yellow without the spray base was a tad terrifying as well.

But I'm happy.

I still have to highlight and do the face (which I'm dreading, hoping the washes will seriously help out!) but I've got high hopes for him indeed.

The staff is going to be done purely with Asurmen Blue and then the detail swirls picked out with Blood Red with no further washes. It should keep it light enough to differentiate from the body yet still be obviously blue.

There's so many layer to the mini - He still has the lightning bolts on his shoulder pad, but they're obscured by the book, purity seals and all and they're still on the model.

It's very, very good. If you play Space Marines, you owe it to yourself to have this model.

Stone Crux Terminatus again, naturally.

And a better shot of the front. I have high hopes.

Now... anyone got decent tips for doing skin and eyes?
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 02-11-2015 at 21:49.

ah I feel your pain, my friend. Theres a reason why every single model in my army is required to have a helmet XD

Im just about to start some fists for a TO4G myself and these are really inspiring! Thanks a lot.
    Kharn in 500 points is FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Morbus View Post
    ah I feel your pain, my friend. Theres a reason why every single model in my army is required to have a helmet XD
    Other than this guy, they all do. I was tempted to give him a helmet but decided it was essentially sacrilege. The model is just so damned awesome to defile like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbus View Post
    Im just about to start some fists for a TO4G myself and these are really inspiring! Thanks a lot.
    No problem! I also strongly suggest you check out kingmong's stuff, which is where I modified my painting scheme from, he's fantastic!

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast