Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New FW Deathstorm Drop Pods

Commander

New FW Deathstorm Drop Pods

Hello all,

Looks like FW has recently put up their new Deathstorm Drop Pod conversion kits up for pre-order/sale. Deathstorm being the new name for Deathwind that was sort of .. hijacked by the normal pods with the name of their small missile launcher upgrade.

Anyhoo, the models look great...
    http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/dsdpmiss3store.jpg
    http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/dsdpass2store.jpg

Thats not what I am taking issue with. They released an update PDF for IA2 containing a bunch of marine stuff and the new pod rules. Heres where it gets gnarly.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/ia2-update.pdf

Feel free to look for yourself, but the long and short of it is that the rules for the new pods are... Ludicrously overpowered.

For 75 pts you get a Missile armed Deathstorm. For 20 more pts you can "upgrade" (if you can call it that) the missile launchers to Assault Cannons.
    Now I am a little disappointed that they A. Do not come stock with Locator beacons and B. Cannot buy them as upgrades. However - again, back to the point, If youre using the missile variant this little puppy deepstrikes in (following the normal rules for pods...) when it lands it fires off "most" of its missiles. It fires off D3 whirlwind style S5 Ap4 Ordinance Barrage 5" templates at every single unit (friend or foe...) within 12" (What?!) The assault cannon variant does pretty much the same thing, D3 x4 S6 ap4 Rending shots to every unit within 12". Additionally in the following turns both weapons can fire (once! but at normal ranges) as normal.

Up until now, everything Ive seen come out of forge world has been, relatively speaking, well thought out and balanced within the rest of the game. So what gives?

EDIT : I left out that the pods are now BS4, not BS2 - although this is fairly unimportant for the template Death-blossom variant.

~ zilla
    Last edited by g0ddy; 06-11-2008 at 16:44.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Edwin
    Balanced because it has shooting, movement and cc.
    And its characterful because it wins 99% of the time like marines do in the storys.
    Its my army and by my definition it is balanced.

Re: New FW Deathstorm Drop Pods

At BS 2 like the normal Pod? That would balance the thing, or make it worthless actually.

Wishlist threads should be closed on sight, period.

Simple. The rules will sell more kits which means more droppods are sold. The power of the rules will also attract people to buying space marines so they can use the "awesum new rulez".

On the plus side, I think that the old Deathwind pods were a bit underpowered, being BS2 and all. These would be ok if they only had the one shot option. I think its the fact they can go on to fire everyturn that makes them overpowering.

With your Sister, Man, doing something you wouldn't like.

that's a bit nasty.
    4d3 S6 Ap4(r) shots against every unit within 12"
    I want one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arakanis View Post
    Listen to the Marv. He is wise and full of badgery knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriwether View Post
    What Marv said
    Badgers Ahoy! A Dystopian Wars Plog

That does seem a bit off. It could easily land a dozen whirlwind missiles in the centre of an army, and they can't miss, just scatter excitingly. Also, barrage weapons, so little cover. The hordes will hate this.

It would be fine if it wasn't for the drop-pod safer DS rules.....
    Occasionally accused of being helpful and constructive.
    One ring Book to rule them all, one ring place to find them, One ring Codex to bring them all, and in the Darkness future bind them. Time for the unified Marine Codex.

It's worded ambiguously enough that you could equally read it as 'roll to hit against each unit, units that are hit take d3 hits'. Note that it specifically says 'roll to hit' for both, with no mention of scattering, even for the Whirlwind.

Well the rules deem broken if it does indeed fire D3 pie plates to each unit within 12", but remember that it's still Imperial Armour, so needs opponent consent, and I expect most tournaments to ban its use.

I'd certainly use it in Apocalypse games, but its short range makes it look less appealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sildani View Post
    I for one hope they change nothing about the Daemonettes. They are some of the breast minis GW have ever done.
    Quote Originally Posted by CELS View Post
    You could roll a D6 for each female squad before the game (syncronised menstrual cycles). On a roll of 1, they get the Stubborn special rule and Preferred Enemy: Men?
    Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by megamat008 View Post
    but remember that it's still Imperial Armour, so needs opponent consent
    In the sense that ALL games require opponent's consent, yes.

It's a myth that everything from Forgeworld automatically requires permission, it's just super-heavies and large monsters as you need two detachments to use them, and that is opponent's permission.

Well here in France almost all tournaments allow FW models, but only those which have GW rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sildani View Post
    I for one hope they change nothing about the Daemonettes. They are some of the breast minis GW have ever done.
    Quote Originally Posted by CELS View Post
    You could roll a D6 for each female squad before the game (syncronised menstrual cycles). On a roll of 1, they get the Stubborn special rule and Preferred Enemy: Men?
    Sorry.

Most UK tournaments don't allow FW units either, but it's got nothing to do with opponent's permission.

Wowzorz, think I'll get one for my Tyranid army.
    RIP Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by IJW View Post
    In the sense that ALL games require opponent's consent, yes.

It's a myth that everything from Forgeworld automatically requires permission, it's just super-heavies and large monsters as you need two detachments to use them, and that is opponent's permission.
    It was a myth, but in IA Apoc and IAv6 FW have done an about turn on their previous intros and now state that other than the rulebook and codexes everything is opponents permission.

But of course all games require opponents permission anyway, even in a tournament (it's possible for your opponent in a round to refuse to play you, but this does normally mean that they automatically lose and you automatically win that round
    Dan
    Age of Strife Owner | AB40k admin/beta tester
    Gaming Figures Store Owner | #warhammer40k on irc.quakenet.org Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh G. Reckshun View Post
    Word on the street is .. if Spacker hasn't said it .. it can't be true. that or .. it's not worth hearing .. one of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacker View Post
    It was a myth, but in IA Apoc and IAv6 FW have done an about turn on their previous intros and now state that other than the rulebook and codexes everything is opponents permission.
    Fair enough, I've not actually read either of those in detail.

Luckily I play at a club where FW legality never crops up - we're happy to let anyone use FW models and rules, so long as they actually have the rules and appropriate models. Handy given the amount of FW stuff I own ...
    Dan
    Word on the street is .. if Spacker hasn't said it .. it can't be true. that or .. it's not worth hearing .. one of the two.

Nice pdf there. Hmm, there is an error in that the Tempest LS is listed with normal twin-linked missile launchers instead of the heavy 2 variant.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    They don't die! They are just sleeping! And carried away in sleeping bags!

It's possible that it is not an error, and is simply a rules change to bring it into line with the Typhoon change in the new SM codex. Typhoons used to only have frag launchers, now they are proper missile launchers which can fire both frag and krak.
    Dan

They might seem overly-powered, but they are only one per HS slot, so you're not getting many. Also, each one taken represents one missing vindi, pred, or landraider, each of which is much harder to kill of then the pod.

Don't forget, DS'ing vehicles count as moving at Cruising Speed and so cannot fire the turn they land. That makes it a target for a turn. You do the math...

Homer

Quote Originally Posted by g0ddy View Post
    (...) when it lands it fires off (...)
    I was assuming it has some special rule for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipmonkey View Post
    They might seem overly-powered, but they are only one per HS slot, so you're not getting many. Also, each one taken represents one missing vindi, pred, or landraider, each of which is much harder to kill of then the pod.
    Not many Marine armies I see use three (or even two) HS choices. In fact I think those pods are of much more use to an aggressive army, disrupting and weakening the enemy and lending support to your attacking units.
    Against some armies I see them wrecking entire flanks all by themselves (depending on their BS - noone has answered that yet).
    Last edited by Eulenspiegel; 06-11-2008 at 14:54.

Wishlist threads should be closed on sight, period.

Chapter Master Zanzibarthefirst's Avatar

That might be true however the wording of the states state :when the deathstorm lands it opens fire indiscriminately. After landing, each unit comes under fire".

That would imply it fires on the turn it arrives.

The whole target each unit with d3 attacks seems a bit strange. That could mean that say the uit lands 12" away from 4 units, there would be up to 12 attacks and up to 48 rending assault cannon shots. I far more logical way woudl be saying that d3 units are hit on the turn it lands

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast