Thread: Citadel Spray gun and air compressors

Citadel Spray gun and air compressors

I was just wondering if anyone here has tried to use the new Citadel Spray gun with an air compressor?

I own one (a Testors, Blue mini air compressor, 220v/5ohz) and an airbrush, but I am fairly hopeless with the airbrush and the new GW design looks user friendly enough and it would be nice to save some money on the cans of propellant

Cheers, E-616
    Buy my Resin bases for 40k at 616-Designs

My miniatures gallery

Re: Citadel Spray gun and air compressors

From what I hear the GW spray gun is basicly a refillable "spray paint can",
    and not realy a precise airbrush.

Chapter Master

Right...

I want to get one thing straight... I love Games workshop...

I love the fact that they try and find answers to alsorts of things

BUT

Dont buy there Spray gun...

Its rubbish.

Fundamentally, its ergenomically inept.

Whilst aesthetically it is pretty and it does look like a hand flamer... the spray levels are poor. Performance with the canned air is dire and expensive. the tube that goes into the spray pot is to long and need clipping.

The mechanism is encased so to clean it you need to take the whole gun apart.

In every way i can think possible, a brush of a similar cost by another major manufacturer is better.

Regards

My name is Daniel and i am a wargamer
    40k NURGLE BLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...big-blobby-guy
    Ever wondered why Maths seemed so hard?
    "Everytime I see a maths problem it looks like this: If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes would it take to cover the roof.
    - ANSWER - Purple, because aliens don't wear hats..."

Second that.

Honestly, you're better off with a Badger single action spraygun (even if it uses the canned proellant). At least you know you'll be able to get spares and it WILL fit any regular airbrush compressor. The GW one has no redeeming features unless you count the "looks like a handflamer" design, and it lacks in all other regards.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia800 using my microwave as a proxy server.

That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.

I am the guy who thought the LoTR movies were crap and liked Judge Dredd.

Yes, I must admit that the flamer design never really did it for me, no it was the ease of use as shown in the video they put on Youtube that got me, the airbrush I have just tends to get its nozzles clogged no matter how much care I take and how much of the special cleaning solution I use ><

Still, I'll keep an eye out for a Badger single action spraygun from now on, so thanks for the tip

My miniatures gallery

I disagree with this, I also have a mini blue and it works great from that as a giant base coat tool. It is not an airbrush for starters or and airbrush at all and it isn't sold as such.

It's marely a very quick and easy way to get a large area or quantity done in a very short period of time.
    "The Horsemen are drawing nearer, On the leather, steeds they ride, They have come to take your life.
    On through the dead of night, With the four Horsemen ride, or choose your fate and die"

I will also disagree with Gonzo and Chrome Dog (sorry guys).

bought one with 2 cans of propellant just to get me used to how it works before I consider spending more on an actual airbrush.

I have had no problems with the spraygun and have got a whole bunch of models undercoated in necron abyss for my Thousand Sons.

If and when I want to get either a compressor for the spraygun or an airgun I am looking at the ones listed on ebay for doing nail art - around 40 plus postage. Seems like a good starting point.

The spraygun is an affordable way to get into the spraying aspect of hobby painting. It allows you with minimal output to get a good colour even foundation on your models.

There are basically 2 choices - spend 23 (gun and 1 can) and start spraying today or save up some money each week/month to eventually buy a good airbrush and compressor or cans and eventually begin spraying your models. I know which I picked.

D.
    Epic:Armageddon - What Apocalypse wants to be when it grows up

Thousand Sons Website - Epic and 40k - !!Now with added stuff!!
    Badab War - A gaming club project - Mantis Warriors W/D/L 4/0/1

Banned

Just thinking, could I spray eggshell paint through it?

Don't really think so. The combination of compressed air and mixed paint might give a strange effect on your models - going for a camo pattern Parus?

Banned

Nah, I'm thinking about doing a full size german helmet, you use eggshell, see.

After the string of awesome hobby-related released with the foundation paints and washes, GW really dropped the ball on the spray gun. I have one. I hate it. It sucks.

I started a thread about this precisiely here. the search function is your frined
    Quote Originally Posted by Fobster View Post
    Hehe. This made my day. I can just imagine you crying impotent nerd tears onto your keyboard. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowphrakt View Post
    I started a thread about this precisiely here. the search function is your frined
    It certainly is, as is the spell checker... I did click on that handy link that lets you search for whether the topic was posted and nothing came up

Anyway, what I really wanted to know was whether you can attach an airline from a compressor on it to save you having to buy all those cans of propellant, that was it really, wasn't asking for how good it is... still, I've been convinced that I may as well grab one of the cheaper airbrushes on the market that does work with compressors

My miniatures gallery

Quote Originally Posted by daemonkin View Post
    I will also disagree with Gonzo and Chrome Dog (sorry guys).

D.
    Feel free to disagree. I don't like the GW model, and it suffers from the same flaws as a similar badger to the one I started with had. The VERY same flaws which made it get the recall. My dislike has nothing (well, ok, very little) to do with the canned-air thing, either.

I started with a Badger and spraycan 25 years ago, and moved up to a Paasche double action airbrush 20 years ago. I know what they were like (and still are) but you GW fanboys who must have it because it's GW and looks like a flamer can all go for your lives. Knock yourselves out. Some of us oldies actually do know better.

Hey Chrome Dog - I am an oldie too. Just because I have never owned or used an airbrush and bought one from GW does not make me a fanboy. I bought it to test out and for base coating my models in a fast way with a uniform colour. For that purpose the spraygun is ideal. Cheap and cheerful and does what it says on the tin.

Now that I have seen what can be done I may just move up the scale and get a cheap badger with a compressor and see what can be done with that.

This is the compressor I was looking at. Can anyone with experience comment on its suitability?

Banned

Dude! Check out Everything airbrush on ebay or www.everythingairbrush.com !!!!!!

It's not a bad one. I prefer a tanked one, myself, that way the compressor only runs to charge the tank, and the tank feeds the gun. More consistent airflow.

Seems most of the love out my way for the spraygun is from 14 year olds who only want it because it looks like a flamer - and who can't legally buy spray paint (like GW ever actually enforce that law here) so can use this to basecoat things. People who aren't old enough to know better. Sorry if it seemed I was taking it out on you, Daemonkin.

I have actually checked out this gun (got asked my opinion on it, froma technical pov). It's functionally identical to a basic badger can-spraygun. There's some cosmetic differences, but the gun itself isn't majorly different. It's definitely not worth the price they charge for it (the badger is a fair bit cheaper), and you are paying a premium for sub-premium product.