Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lasgun question

Brother Sergeant

Lasgun question

Hey everybody I was just wondering if the little cylinder bellow the muzzle of the lasgun is a laser pointer or a flashlight. Please don't ask me why i would like to know because you will find out soon.

Re: Lasgun question

Bayonets actually usually attach to the final emitter barrel.

I have always figured that the bolt below was actually a fastening bolt so that the weapon could be dissembled for cleaning. That, or like a musket, it's the cap for a self-contained cleaning kit held below the barrel.

the one that always seemed alot stranger was the tube on the top. Could be a sight, but I don't think so.
    E nomine Imperator et Suus Faveo Filii et Sanctus Terra, Amen!

My Tyranid army Project Log Check it out!

Could be a coolant pod? Or maybe a gas cartridge with a reaction catalyst for the laser mechanism? Or maybe it's just something solid to attach a bayonet or bipod to?

As for the thing on top, why isn't it a sight? It's quite feasible to have an iron sight and a tube sight on a rifle to switch between as the situation demands.
    Awesome. Awesome to the head.

Do you wish to Forge the narrative? Don't care about rules? Building and converting are your thing? One company's got you covered: LEGO

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Maxis Lithium View Post
    Bayonets actually usually attach to the final emitter barrel.

I have always figured that the bolt below was actually a fastening bolt so that the weapon could be dissembled for cleaning. That, or like a musket, it's the cap for a self-contained cleaning kit held below the barrel.

the one that always seemed alot stranger was the tube on the top. Could be a sight, but I don't think so.
    I have always considered the tube on top to be a collapsible handle, similar to the build-in handle on an A1 orA2 style M16/AR15. Take a look at one of the Catachan arms, the one holding the lasgun by the top.

A study of the larger-scale weapons in the Inquisitor range reveal that the built-in handle on the Mars pattern lasgun actually folds into a slot on the side of the weapon. The front cover of the 3rd edition codex revealed that the tube on the top was at least sometimes an optical sight or range finder. The lower tube's explicit function is somewhat mysterious but at least sometimes operates as a bayonet lug.

It may also contain a cleaning kit or be a part of the lasgun's inner workings. The design of the lasgun is at least partly based upon that of the AK47, which has a rod above its barrel. This rod is dual purpose, partly housing the weapon's gas parts (that make it self-cocking) and partly providing additional rigidity to the barrel to prevent distortion. The latter use is obviously pointless in the case of lasguns, but the latter may apply.

R.

as precinctormaga said, the lasgun design borrows from modern assault rifles in which the shorter extra barrel houses the gas cylendar and also braces the barrel against recoil providing a bullet with a more stable flight. Since neither are applicable for the lasgun and the lower cylinder is clearly not attached to the actual barrel I think we can ignore that. I think it's safe to assume the upper is a basic form of optical sight. On many of the models the bayonet is attached to the bottom cylindar so I'd assume it's a bayonet lug.

Brother Sergeant

With regards to a laser dot for the lasgun. The Imperials seem to be missing a great opportunity, if they were to make a two stage trigger with on the first stage the weapons laser emmiter itself produces a low powered visible light beam and then on the second stage produces the high powered damaging beam they could have a laser assistor that always shows you exactly where the shot will land.

Banned

And have the enemy know exactly where you are. Anything visible on a weapon is a very bad thing. Even stuff like missiles and rockets are only used as a last resort, if you are guarunteed a kill, or if the enemy already knows where you are, because of the smoke trail leading right back to you, which tells everybody within 500m exactly where to aim their rifle.

Veteran Sergeant Commissar Masyk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy24 View Post
    Hey everybody I was just wondering if the little cylinder bellow the muzzle of the lasgun is a laser pointer or a flashlight. Please don't ask me why i would like to know because you will find out soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy24
    laser pointer or a flashlight
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy24
    flashlight
    I couldn't resist.
    "Our creed is this. We are ready, at any moment, to sacrifice all for victory."
    - Colonel Cseke, 15th Krieg Siege Regiment

"I am the scourge of God, appointed to chastise you, since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity except me. You are wicked, but I am more wicked than you."
    - Tamerlane, prior to the sacking of Damascus

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Firstborn View Post
    And have the enemy know exactly where you are. Anything visible on a weapon is a very bad thing. Even stuff like missiles and rockets are only used as a last resort, if you are guarunteed a kill, or if the enemy already knows where you are, because of the smoke trail leading right back to you, which tells everybody within 500m exactly where to aim their rifle.
    But the lasguns are already supposed to produce visible light.

Banned

But only a flash for a fraction of a second. You'd be much more likely to pin point somebody from a visible laser targeter. Besides, there is no reason for them to produce visibile light, except the fact that GW writers don't bother to research anything.

Lol true, like in Last Chancers - the lasweapons cause bullet holes, and in another book (forgotten the name), the "lasbolt" ricochets off walls and stuff.. Ah well, it makes for an entertaining read lol
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorEternalXIX View Post
    Get in their face, and then put your boot through their skull and brain -- and god dammit, yell "For the Emperor!!" every time you do!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokamak, on Sexuality in 40k
    Slaanesh is deeply rooted in many, many planets.
    Maybe it's my Australian sense of humour, but I think that's a classic..

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by gantrakk View Post
    But the lasguns are already supposed to produce visible light.
    Yeah but there's a difference between visible light that goes through your lung and kills you stone dead, and visible light which gives you time to react and, because you're a nasty 40k monster, dodge and eat some puny Guardsmen faces.

also, if a squad of 10 men all have laser pointers, how do you pick yours out from the nine others?
    “He who gazes into the abyss should be careful, for the abyss will gaze back. He who hunts monsters should be wary that he does not also become a monster.”

"All wars a civil wars, because all men are brothers."

Could be an IR pointer that is visible through the sights. You could tell which is yours because it's the one in the middle of your sight picture.
    RC'S IMPERIAL LOG
    Legio Astorum, Ultrahawks Chapter and the Cadian 957th Brigade

MOST RECENT PROJECT: Repurposing a squad of 4th ed HQ Veteran Marines
    WANTED: Attack Bike or Landspeeder Multimeltas. Please pm.

I was under the impression a laser would in fact bounce off a somewhat smooth and glossy surface. A lasgun is an extremely powerful laser, we're talking a fraction of a second blast that can burn an arm off like a high caliber rifle shot.

So if half of that reflected off a somewhat reflective surface like metal or better yet a mirror, then it could probably still have enough force to light someone on fire with a few meters.

In the words of Ca$his:

Pistol play ricochet, see where the victim lay
    Slumped over bleeding J.F.K
    Hays K to your chest plate cave
    I ride to the death, do you rep that way?
    Forever ima be a Shady 7-4 gangsta
    Plus I survive everything you got in that chamber
    I thrive off of danger, jumping in all beef
    You keep talking sh** now the squad called me
    Trying to figure out how to play 9th Age with round bases...

Brother Sergeant

Thanks everybody for the replies, I think I will use the second barrel for a are for spare parts. Now another question how powerful do you think a lasgun would be?

As narratively powerful as you want it to be? That's the answer that you get from the descriptions of the 'fluff.' On the other hand, many people argue that it is the equivalent of the modern assault rifles. I personally don't believe it's quite that simple but there we go. Then again I tend to have weird approaches to the 40k universe (such that the lasgun is a particle weapon rather than a laser weapon, despite the 'fluff' that states quite clearly it is, but has descriptions that often clearly are not... ).

Oh the joys.

Kage

Kage, light is a curious thing in that it has a property known as Wave-Partical Duality. I won't go into the physics but basically it means that light has both the properties of electromagnetic waves and particles..
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorEternalXIX View Post
    Get in their face, and then put your boot through their skull and brain -- and god dammit, yell "For the Emperor!!" every time you do!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokamak, on Sexuality in 40k
    Slaanesh is deeply rooted in many, many planets.
    Maybe it's my Australian sense of humour, but I think that's a classic..

For once, I'm pretty much with Kage. I see laser weapons as two-stage laser-particle hybrids. Each "round" is two, closely-spaced shots: one laser shot which vaporizes the surface of whatever it hits and which provides a "trail" for the second shot, a particle packet that hits the target with kinetic energy equivalent to a solid jacketed round.

This serves to explain the "energy-based" nature of the weapon, its various fire-modes, it's status as a "laser" weapon and the fact that it appears to cause damage almost identical to a kinetic weapon. It would also lend hits from laser shots a distinctive "b-dum... b-dum..." noise which I think is pretty cool.

R.

EDIT -

Kage, light is a curious thing...
    I'm pretty sure Kage knows this. Whilst light does, indeed, possess W-P duality that doesn't extend to allowing it to behave like a solid round, shock wave and all...
    Last edited by precinctomega; 23-11-2008 at 09:03.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast