Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Necromundan 1st Regt.

Necromundan 1st Regt.

This is going to be yet another Imperial Guard log. I never really intended to start a Guard Army, originally I had planned a mission using the pilot from the Battle for Macragge and the crashed shuttle scenery. I then thought some more survivors from the crash would good so I got one of the boxes of snap fit Cadians. I used both the pilot and the Guardsmen as a bit of a painting experiment too.

I needed them painted quickly so they were primed then given base colours from the foundation range and finally washed with black everywhere except the flesh areas. They ended up looking pretty good, considering the amount of time spent. They will not win any prizes but they are definitely of tabletop standard. I enjoyed painting them and though I would put together a small army of them. I am starting with infantry and a few other things that interest me.

So here are the guys that started it all.

More to follow, pictures of my first squad and some background. C and C welcome.
    Necromundan IG, the quick an easy way here, now with squats and other Rogue Trader era goodness.

Check out my Death Guard project log as I try to build them up for Apocalypse.

Re: Necromundan 1st Regt.

I have to say that the faces could really use more detailing, but other than that I really like how they turned out. Quick and easy doesn't have to look bad and your models prove it.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming like the other people in his car.

Got those old 5th edition lizardmen collecting dust? PM me, I really need more metal skinks with javelins.

Thanks Hicks, I agree the faces could do with a bit more attention, they do look a bit better in real life though.

I have written some background for the Regiment. Searching around I couldn't find anything official so this is what I came up with:

Necromundan First Regiment
    Lucky Aces

The Necromundan regiments have a long and glorious history, one of the best is the Necromundan First Regiment.

The Necromundan First Regiment is raised solely from Hive Primus on the hive world of Necromunda. The Regiments officers are drawn from the Noble Houses of Greim, Ulanti, Ty, Ran Lo, Catallus and Ko’Iron. The troops of the Regiment are recruited from the Houses of the Hive City, namely Cawdor, Escher, Goliath, Van Saar, Orlock and Delaque. As the troops are drawn from the very competitive Houses of the Hive City there is the potential for conflict within the Regiment, a problem commanders always need to be mindful of.

The initial raising of the Regiment was originally made at the sole cost of the then Lord Helmawr. Since then subsequent re-raisings of the First have all been made at the personal expense of the current Lord of the ruling family of Hive Primus. Rather then viewing this as an unreasonable burden on them, the rulers of the Hive view it as an honour and many have taken a personal interest in the Regiment, sometimes using their not inconsiderable influence to ensure that the First receives the best equipment and materiel the Imperium can provide.

Currently the Necromundan First is commanded by Colonel Helmawr, one of the sons of Lord Helmawr the current ruler of Necromunda. With such a personal connection to the Regiment the Helmawr family takes a great interest in its actions. The Regiment is very well equipped with all forms of small arms, mostly manufactured on Necromunda to the Cadian pattern.

Most recently the Regiment has just been withdrawn from a deployment around the Cadian Gate. The Necromundan First performed well in action against the Black Crusade but suffered high but not unacceptable losses, further several of the Regiments officers were seconded to the staff of Lord Castellan Creed where they also served with distinction.

The Regiment has since been withdrawn to refit and reinforce. The unusual step of withdrawing the Regiment before it was wiped out means it has maintained a solid core of experienced and battle hardened veterans. It was expected that this split of old and new members may have caused problems. In anticipation Colonel Helmawr requested and received a higher than usual number of Commissars attached to the Regiment.

I also a have a pic of my first completed squad.

Initially I was pretty happy with these guys too and have started on the second squad however as I was assembling them I realised how they all look like they have just marched out of basic training or the Q store. I need to make them look a bit more like the veteran force they are and get some more variety in there. I have made a start on this, more photos in the next couple of days.
    Necromundan IG, the quick an easy way here, now with squats and other Rogue Trader era goodness.

The colours are good, and everything is in the right place. I like them, although they could need some more details, eyes and such.
    "I must say, I've fallen in love with the musical genre. It's the art form of the common man. If you want to communicate something with the proletariat, cover it in sequins and make it sing. It's noisy, vulgar and utterly meaningless. I love it."
    -Darren Nichols, Slings & Arrows, Season 3

I really like these models. Very cool paint scheme.
    Life is a game and so is 40k. So stop all the fighting and lets all play.

I am always right about everything. I thought I was wrong once. Turned out I wasn't. Which ment I was wrong about being wrong, so therefore I was right that I was wrong. Proving that I'm always right.

@Serpent I am thinking about going back to add some details including squad markings but i might shuffle personnel so I will hold off on that for a bit.

@Getifa Ubazza thanks.

And for the next update, the first five members of Squad 2.

Firstly Primed and ready to start

Base colours added

Then washed, Ogryn Flesh on the skin, Black wash on everything else

A bit of a touch up to fix the mistakes, basing and the are done, still need static grass added to the bases though.

And again would love some feedback and comments.

Time for another update. I have been away so not too much done this week, but this did arrive during the week. I did manage to make some progress on some more interesting stuff too.

Some WIP pictures.

This is close to being done and is the first of two I have managed to get hold of. I am hoping to get one more and use them with lascannon rules.

Lastly a WIP of a Sabre platform.

I like your color. Only "matter", the choice of the color base. I shall have more make smoething close to the urban zone (or scories of Spire).
    Otherwise all is nice. Lack more than the markings of units...

Maybe you should try to include officers with beards in there, kind of to represent them as House van Saar.
    Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Space ship design project

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Looking great mate, for the amount of effort they come out very nice.

Cheers

Sheep
    Sheep's laying a log For all things Imperial
    The Ammobunker Forums with humour
    Sheep's Sons of Horus For all things 30k
    Sheep does Adeptus Mechanicus Latest project

Forlorn Hope, my blog

Oooo Sabre Platform...

Those washes really make your guardsmen look great, good job on them.
    Imperial Guard: The Crimson Guard.
    On the subject of the usefulness of frag grenades on Guardsmen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cook View Post
    "Guardsmen may take rubber duckies for +1 point per model. Every time they have a bath, endless hilarity ensues. Has no in game effect."
    Who would win in a fight between a Ogryn and a Space Marine?
    Quote Originally Posted by olmsted View Post
    easy the ogryn model is tougher then the space marine model. ogryns being made of metal are there fore stronger and tougher then the plastic space marine model. end of debate.

@Little, I went with the base colour as it matches the basic terrain I have.

@Malika I do have some plans to put together some guardsmen that are more obviously from some of the various Houses. I have some for Goliath and Escher at the moment. I like the idea of beards for Van Saar, will have to have a play with that and see what I can put together.

@Sheep and T_55 Thanks

I was also hoping to have some further WIP's of the Sabre platform but I had some issues with legs on it and they needed re-gluing so I didn't get much painted on it. I did make some progress on the second infantry squad but no pics at this stage.

Small update, I have completed my second infantry squad. While I have been working on them i cam to the realisation than an army made up of solely Cadian models would be a bit boring so I have started to mix in some Catachan parts. I think I want to do more of this so there may be some adjustment of who is in which squad.

Anyway enough talk, picture time

I have also started a sniper squad. The snipers are pretty much done. I was then thinking about what other models to complete the squad. I am not real confident on with sculpting cloaks so I was looking for guards that might fit. To that end I have slightly converted two Tanith models, I already had the kneeling guy assembled so he makes up the last member.

Feedback and comments welcome.
    Last edited by folnjir; 16-01-2009 at 09:54.

Lots to report this time.

Firstly I have pretty much finished the Rapier, still needs static grass of the base and insignia though.

Next up, the Command Squad for the First Platoon. This gives me a complete platoon. This squad also has my first use of one of the heads from West Wind.

I have also made some progress on the rest of the sniper squad.

And finally some progress on the Sabre platform.

I have not yet painted the legs yet. I was originally going do them metallic but now I am thinking maybe the grey colour. What are other peoples thoughts? Metal or grey?

these guard look great. it always annoys me when I come up against an opponent with a beardy army that hasn't been fully assembled let alone painted.

Everybody should see this blog as proof that you can get a really nice looking army to tabletop standard with a little effort. great work.

the bases and model selection really finish this off nicely!

well done

Adam

Very nice army. I'd like to make one suggestion though. I believe that the Necromundan 1st are known as 'the spiders'. I'm not sure if this is correct, but I think that is a little bit of 1-2nd edition information. This doesn't bother me at all, but you may find yourself having to defend your actions against fluff nazis.

Chapter Master

Quite nice... liking the way this is turning out.
    Good luck mate.

Regards
    Remoah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Internet View Post
    Not allowed to complain about updates for any army until Dark Eldar get a new book. I think it's a rule or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaaneshi Slave View Post
    People play Marines because not everybody is cool enough to play Imperial Guard.
    20/12/2009... Rest In Peace Brimstone.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I am really trying to keep these guys simple so I can actually get them to a playable state. I hate playing with unpainted mini's so having a quick scheme is important. Hopefully I will be able to do some painting over the weekend and have some more updates then.

@Aegius thanks for the info but I think the 8th Regiment were known as the Spiders. THere is someone else out there in project log land doing one on them. It's worth checking out too.

Chapter Master

These are looking really good. the colour scheme is very neat and the clothes are shaded well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The pestilent 1 View Post
    Did Apple kill your parents and burn down your village or something?
    My Brute

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast