Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Frost's back! Space Marine Blog, Frost's Storm Lords

Frost's back! Space Marine Blog, Frost's Storm Lords

Hey kids.

Some of you may remember me, I used to post here a lot a few years back before getting out of the hobby for a couple of years. Well, I got the urge to build some space marines and paint em, and maybe even end up playing (gasp!) at some point.

e: I decided to paint them as STORM LORDS

But in terms of the marines, so far I just have 5 of the AOBR marines that I used at testers, and a tactical squad that I have assembled 3 marines out of:

Im building them a bit taller than regular marines by spacing the torso slightly and straightening one leg so they arent in constant crouch. Im pretty happy with the way they are coming out, Im not very good with GS, but the conversions look pretty good so far, I think.

The arms are seperate because I am priming/painting them seperately.
    Last edited by FearFrost; 06-01-2009 at 15:01.

Re: Frost's back! Space Marine Blog, help me pick a chapter

e: decided on storm lords
    Last edited by FearFrost; 05-01-2009 at 02:06.

Red + white + black + yellow = Lamenters!

I've always loved the Lamenters. There's nothing quite like emo marines in yellow armour. If you like your Astartes a little less melancholy, you can always do Scythes of the Emperor - they're another favorite of mine (and the Bell of Lost Souls has a downloadable transfer sheet).

As far as background goes, Lexicanum seems to be pretty comprehensive; at least on the "official" background side of things.

Looking good thus far - I'm looking forward to seeing this army develop (and hear about the games you play with it)!

Keep it up!

I really like the White panthers scheme youve painted, I say go with them.
    Winner of threads since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by a squig View Post
    Messiah you have just caused my beffudled brain to dribble from my ears
    hu⋅mil⋅i⋅ty –noun the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.

Im pretty torn. Im not a huge fan of the Lamenters, just because they seem to get their butts kicked every time they do anything, haha.

Scythes of the Emperor are an option though, hrm. They are sort of the "anti-tyranid" chapter, right?

I love the Storm Lords, but Im not sure about that many bikes and stuff.

White panthers are very high on my list

I'd go with the gold and black. The white panther scheem looks good on the single model, but i'm certain that with entire squads of them on the board they will look like milk cows .

And what "Ville" are you in, in Florida, Jax or gainesville?
    Last edited by Strikerkc; 03-01-2009 at 02:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikerkc View Post
    I'd go with the gold and black. The white panther scheem look god on the single model, but i'm certain that with entire squads of them on the board they will look like milk cows .

And what "Ville" are you in, in Florida, Jax or gainesville?
    Im actually in clearwater now, I was in gainesville though. I need to change that, thanks for reminding me!

A massive Huzzah! from me. Good to see ya back!

White Panthers were the first marines I read about. They had the first story in the 3rd ed marine codex where they deepstruck onto a rebellious planet and had it under control within hours.

The Celestial Lions are another good chapter...nearly wiped out by the inquisition on Armageddon I believe.

Howling Griffons have a nice scheme as well which lends itself well to your painting techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Light of the Emperor View Post
    A massive Huzzah! from me. Good to see ya back!

White Panthers were the first marines I read about. They had the first story in the 3rd ed marine codex where they deepstruck onto a rebellious planet and had it under control within hours.

The Celestial Lions are another good chapter...nearly wiped out by the inquisition on Armageddon I believe.

Howling Griffons have a nice scheme as well which lends itself well to your painting techniques.
    Hey man, great to see you too, long time no speak

I like the celestial lions, but I sort of started them before and now Im thinking I want to do something else. Im so damned ADD, which is why I want to seriously consider this army. I also want to choose something where I havent seen someone paint an entire army of them anywhere...so they are mine, yanno?

I know a guy on CMON has a nice marines malevolent army, which pretty much made me decide against them...

Hmm...definately White Panthers then. That tester looks good already.

There's one more chapter I found called the Fire Lords. They are red and yellow and (obviously) love fire...

Yanno, even though I decided that I didnt want to do lots of bikes and stuff, I think I am going to do storm lords! God I love that paint scheme.

damn. im torn between white panthers and marines malevolent - il ove both and we dont see many of them around. though ill probably ahve to go for the mustard marines - im feeling yellow
    Quote Originally Posted by warflag View Post
    Synapse, 1st grade weirdo
    My =][=28 blog

I don't think you need to include LOTS of bikers - I've never seen anything that says that the Storm Lords are as "bike heavy" as their White Scars brethren. If you include one squad in the army, it should be enough; after all, the Storm Lords are listed as a codex chapter.

"Counts-as" Kor-sarro Khan on foot and a single bike squad is all it would take to really give it flavor without having too many bikes/speeders.

Good luck with all that white!

I'm not particularly keen on the White panthers as i've seen a few squads done and they look very bitty(understand what i mean?) when together. Marines malevolant are a good scheme, i was almost drawn to doing a yellow army myself. Not keen on the yellow stripe on the Iron Lords helmet but i suppose you could just leave that off. My personal favourite from the 4 you've chosen are the Storm Lords, it's a very crisp and clean scheme and i also don't think it needs to be too white scars centric(sp) would be a very nice army if pulled off well.

James
    My Heresy Era Painting Log
    My Marine Painting Log
    My Blog On hold for a bit.

GW Fanboy and PROUD

as a marines malevolent player my choice is clear =)
    Check out my Dakka Gallery.
    including Ultramarines, Marines Malevolent, Mechanicus, Pre Heresy Stuff and lots more

Chapter Master

To me, no Chapter says "we may be doomed, but we're gonna kick the teeth out of every alien and xenos scum we can get our hands on whilst we're going down" like Scythes Of The Emperor...
    Always liked them since WD134, but I have trouble painting yellow - lol.

Hey mate, i remember you well, you had some amzing infinity models going before you stopped, i look forward to seeing where you go with these boys.

Cheers

Sheep
    Sheep's laying a log For all things Imperial
    The Ammobunker Forums with humour
    Sheep's Sons of Horus For all things 30k
    Sheep does Adeptus Mechanicus Latest project

Forlorn Hope, my blog

My vote goes to storm lords....you don´t seem much of these paint schemes these days
    Games-Workshop: 2000pts Eldar, 1500pts Sisters of battle, 2000pts Death Korps of Krieg, AoS SKaven.
    Warmachine: 50+ pts Retribution of Scyrah.
    Malifaux: Guild, Arcanists and Gremlins.
    X-wing: Empire all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by tagsta View Post
    as a marines malevolent player my choice is clear =)
    Oh yeah, it was your army that I saw! I liked it a lot, but I think Im going to leave the marines malevolent to you

Storm Lords it is. I just ordered some space wolf sprues and assault marines.

I will use bikes, but I certainly wont use tons and tons of them like the white scars do. Maybe a full squad and a couple attack bikes. Thanks for the help gents, and appreciate all the posts..Ill try to keep this blog updated fairly frequently.

e:speaking of which, any of you gents have any spare space wolf sprues laying around? Also, what do you think of the conversions?
    Last edited by FearFrost; 03-01-2009 at 15:53.

Wips:

I need to hightlight the yellow higher, with an edge highlight, methinks. I also havent highlighted the black yet. SO basically all that is done is the red and white, except for touchups.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast