Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bahir's (and son) Painting Log - Bugs, Tau, Marines, and whatever else we can find...

Bahir's (and son) Painting Log - Bugs, Tau, Marines, and whatever else we can find...

Welcome to my painting log. Since my son (10) started playing we've acquired quite a few armies that need to be painted. Hopefully the log will help us progress, and in the process pick up some tips and ideas from more experienced painters.

Just for the record we don't play 40K, but use the No Limits rule set, but we use mostly GW minis.

Any constructive feed back is always appreciated.

First up is my Nid Brood.

I've always liked Nids since I first bought Space Hulk (Yep, the original, way back in the day). But I never liked the shooty bugs. So here is my attempt at an almost exclusively Close Combat Brood (hive, nest, whatever).

I wanted my 'stealers to look like they were related to the rest of my troops so I'm adding some back plates. Also is a few shots of my Warrior's they remind me of the old Screamer/killer models.

Re: Bahir's (and son) Painting Log - Bugs, Tau, Marines, and whatever else we can fin

While doing GS on my bugs, I finished up painting my Tau fire warriors and started assembling and GSing my Tau snipers.

I used a Drone antenna to elongate the standard tau rifle and added a "power cord" made of wire going from the rifle to the power pack, the sniper targeting system is made from the bottom part of the drone antenna. For a spotter I'm using the upper body and arms of my devil fish commander. On all of them I cut off the leg armor and GS cloth to make them fit in a bit more with the pathfinders.

There is also a shot of my WIP tray with my bugs on them.

Brother Sergeant

Re: Bahir's (and son) Painting Log - Bugs, Tau, Marines, and whatever else we can fin

nice nid conversions.
    i really like those painted firewarriors you got there on the last picture. i hope you can show us some more of the tau you got.

Thanks for the kind words Develain. Ask and you shall receive.

The pathfinders were my first attempt at using GS. I attempted to make baggy pants for them, but I think they turned out too baggy. A bit of plasticard on top of the carbine made a passable marker light.

The next shot is my completed fire warrior squad. I still need to seal them, but it's been too cold to spray them, so I'll have to wait until it warms up a bit.

The third shot is of my stealth suits and finally my pathfinders while WIP teasing the nid warrior.

those tyranid conversions are looking good - especially the larger carapaces
    Quote Originally Posted by warflag View Post
    Synapse, 1st grade weirdo
    My =][=28 blog

@ Synapse: Thanks for the kind words. I've just recived the last few parts I was missing from my Carnifex and last warrior. I should have some shots of them soon.

I'm thinking about a color scheme at the moment. Right now I'm thinking about Beastly Brown for the bodies with Vallejo Intermediate Green for the carapace and Bone white for the claws/teeth.

And finally a WIP shot of my Tau Snipers.

Great looking minis! The snipers are very nice.

Last night I put the finishing touches on my snipers and spotter when I realized I didn't give my spotter a weapon! I had planned on giving him a slung carbine but I forgot all about it. So now I have to figure out how to equip him.

How does a Tau "sling" a weapon? For that matter has anyone done a slung weapon and how did you do it? Did you use GS or thin plasticard? Perhaps some other material? Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to paint up a carbine and just stick it on the base.

I'm open to suggestions

Attached are three pictures. Two showing the snipers (one with flash, the other without) and my next tau project I started last night. For my piranha I wanted to be able to swap out the main gun, so I used some magnets from an old electric toothbrush head. They are a bit bulky but they are pretty powerful.

I'm toying with the idea of putting kill marks next to the pilot and gunner, but I'm kinda stumped as to what Tau kill marks would look like.

Well, I'm off to do some homework...

Nice looking Tau, bug conversions looking good as well.
    General project log
    FW Chaos Renegade Militia log
    Da Orks log
    Ogre Army log
    Check out Maxmini , Kromlech and Puppetswar for great conversion bits!

Just finished moving again (2nd time in six months ) and just getting settled. But I had a bit of time last night and slapped some paint on my little fish.

What would tau kill marks on the side of a vehicle look like? Any suggestions?

It was a nice day today so I was able to varnish my minis that I had painted when it was really cold.

Last night I finished my piranha and started in my ethereal. I didn't really care for the wand thingy he had so I replaced it with a sword. I wanted to go for a desert warrior / Kung Fu master type thing.

The sword and guard are made from plasticard and pined to the hand. It will probably be easier to see once I get it primed. It was tough trying to get a clear picture.

That finished Pirahna looks great, yellow and brown looks good together.
    Like the warrior bug's hollywood pose, nice and threatening!
    Going to have a look at the No Limits rules myself.

Bugbait out
    * Apocalypse Ork Plog * * Terrain building log * * Bugbaits Thunder Wolves *
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm

Today I started basing my son's termies and did a 2nd base coat on his Tac Squad (he missed a few spots on them)

Here's a group shot:

As my boy painted his dread in it's primary color, I finished up basing his terminators

Here's a close up of the bases.

After I finished the bases I helped him detail the dread then I based that (pictures to come later). I then stated on my Tau Etheral. I'm attempting to make a tassel type thing for the bottom of the sword. Any suggestions from you GS Gurus would be welcome.

I started working on my 'nids today. The carapace is Vallejo Intermediate Green the body is Beastly Brown and the "skin" areas Vallejo Red. Claws, teeth, etc. Bonewhite. I want to do a wash to the entire mini once I get all the base colors down, but I'm not sure which will give the best effect. I have at my disposal Badab Black, Gryphonne Sepia and Thrakka Green. I'm leaning toward Back or Sepia, but I don't have much experience with washes. Can anyone make any suggestion or recommendations?\

Thanks in advance.

B

Here's an update. I've been doing quite a bit of painting the last few days.

The completed Dred. I like how the wires came out. That badab black wash was a lot of fun to use.

Next up is my test models for my bug color scheme. I like it so I'm gonna stick with it. One big mistake I made was I painted the green first. When I went back to paint the brown it was a pain in the bottom. I learn something new every time I paint (and read the posts on this board). The colors are lighter than what the picture shows. I'll try to get a shot in better light.

Finally my WIP ethereal. There's a bit of fiddly detail on his mantle, I'm thinking bout giving it a Sepia wash to bring it out, because I'm thinking black may be too strong.

I've finished my first bugs. I wasn't quite sure what to do with their eyes so I just went with that black shark look. I want to paint more but I'm running out of room in my mini case! Time to buy another Sabol case I suppose. Anyway here are the pictures.

Wonder if the bugs eyes would look good with a gloss varnish to give then a wet look?
    Dread looks good, going to give him a bit of wear and tear, chipped paint etc.

Bugbait out
    * Apocalypse Ork Plog * * Terrain building log * * Bugbaits Thunder Wolves *
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm

As far as the spotter, I don't think a missing weapon is a huge issue.
    You could pretty easily add a pouch as a standin for a pistol.
    If the base wasn't set, I would say put the gun on the base- he just put it down for a moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by massey View Post
    Yes, Games Workshop hates when people like their armies. I have it on good authority that Jervis Johnson keeps a list of people who buy things other than Space Marines, and he's planting car bombs outside their houses. They hate people who spend money on their plastic toys.
    http://www.redorbit.com/news/busines...day/index.html

Here's a completed bug squad.

And I'm finishing up my ethereal. It's the first time I've painted this much cloth. It was a bit of a challenge. The sword looks a little plain, but I can't think of a thing to do do with it.

@ SisterMordagg - Yeah, I agree. I think I will do a carbine and add it to the base. Thanks for the suggestions.

@ bugbait - Gloss would be neat, does Vallejo (or anyone else) make an acrylic gloss black or printable gloss? As for the wear, I suggested it to the boy (I wanted to give it a try ) but he didn't want it on his dread. I may try it on my devil fish. Know any good tutorials on how to do it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast