Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flames of War-- ever expanding to Pacific?

Flames of War-- ever expanding to Pacific?

I like the idea of FoW A LOT. I consider myself somewhat of a history enthusiast, and so the idea of a WWII miniatures game appeals to me. But, the high price tag of Flames of War, and the lack of U.S. Marines (I understand that the game focuses on the European theatre, but I don't think that you should ignore the Pacific Theatre all together!) are big issues to me. I would certainly start playing if they ever released a Pacific theatre expansion. Has anyone heard if that is even remotely plausible?
    yep....how about that....

Re: Flames of War-- ever expanding to Pacific?

Supposedly, but quite far off.

IIRC once late war is done early war will be looked at. Once early war has been done there is supposed to be a pacific supplament.

There isnt as much interest in the pacific however and the forces used are much more limited (essentially there would be infantry with fairly limited support). Armour is one of the big FoW elements and the pacific theatre wasnt well suited to armour on the whole(I would like to see some Japanese toy tanks though). I wouldnt expect more than a single book TBH.

I guess I understand that. I think it would be cool to concentrate on the actual aspect of securing beach heads and having elite infantry units go at it, and Kamikazes sure would be *fun* (as much fun as someone desperately driving their aircraft into the enemy can be).

Marine Raiders FTW!

There are some fan lists on this theatre. Have a look at the battlefront website, their forum will be much more informative.

With your Sister, Man, doing something you wouldn't like.

I don't think it'll be happening any time soon

war in the pacific
    and
    USAF Pacific theatre
    Quote Originally Posted by Arakanis View Post
    Listen to the Marv. He is wise and full of badgery knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriwether View Post
    What Marv said
    Badgers Ahoy! A Dystopian Wars Plog

LOL!!! I am TOTALLY going to bring that to the next FOW night at my lgs. Anyone know where I can find a 1:144 B29???

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Godswildcard View Post
    Kamikazes sure would be *fun* (as much fun as someone desperately driving their aircraft into the enemy can be).
    Having recently flipped through a book penned about them by certain Japanese authors back in the 50's, I would consider them more as tragical than fun.

That said, their targets were naval craft, not ground targets, so they would be pretty much in a wrong place in a game of FoW. Though in the Philippines some aviation units turned into infantry units, once they had ran out of aircraft, and these included a number of pilots that had volunteered into kamikaze duty but had not been sent on a mission.

That said, the Japanese also used some pretty suicidal means of close assulting enemy tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Godswildcard View Post
    LOL!!! I am TOTALLY going to bring that to the next FOW night at my lgs. Anyone know where I can find a 1:144 B29???
    I am not really familiar with the 1:144 aircarft, but the requirement to have a ground observation team sounds a bit game and historically inaccurate.

Mind me, speaking of historical accuracy, painting the text "Enola Gay" on the side of your plane might lead to some odd misunderstandings.
    Who is Griefbringer? Read his poem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenyu
    Since World of Warcraft players manage to get themselves killed due to exhaustion, why should Griefbringer not manage to get himself killed with a regiment of table top miniatures. You´d be a pioneer.

My only complaint with the .pdf is the time component. I know it's a joke, but if the radiation was that severe, nobody would be living or working in Hiroshima today.

You could easily do the Tokyo fire raids in the same manner. Fly the B-29 overhead. Resolve flak & interceptor attacks. Next, soak the entire table in gasoline and set it alight.
    "They fear the darkness, for the night belongs to me."
    Captain Gael Gilgamesh, 7th Mechanised Co, "Lions of Babylon" Regiment, during the seige of Rogan Josh.

We probably will see a Pacific war expansion out at some point but it probably be quite limited in scope. I'd assume that it would come in a single book format and would include the Japanese army, American Marines and probably the Commonwealth armies as well. I'd think it would have rules for jungle fighting as well.

Kahadras
    Yukikaze's power was beyond what even he had expected. Finally free of her crew, she killed all their safeguards and revealed capacities exceeding her design limits. He tried to tame this new Yukikaze, but she refused his orders, judging them errors, and danced freely in the skies of Faery...

A fair ways off, a number of people have don't counts as lists, I understand a japanses (actually italian) army did well at a big comp in OZ

I would suggest you have a look at bloody omaha the army book has american boat assult companys they are great fun

I assume that IF they go down the PW, it will be some years in the future BUT they will do it right. I expect - if at all - one book each for
    - early China (37-41)
    - Pacific Blitz (Japanese Army & Marines vs. Phillipines, US, Commonwealth)
    - warfare in China (41-44, Kuomintang, Communists)
    - Indochine, Burma, India (-44 including French and Commonwealth, Chindits)
    - India, Burma, China (44-45 The road to Mandalay, Merril)
    - High Tide (Kokoda, Guadalcanal)
    - Allied island attacks (landing rules and bunker attacks, eg. Tarawa to Iwo Jima)
    - Pacific warfare (eg Saipan, Borneo, Phillipines, Okinawa)
    - Soviet Onslaught
    - Operation Olympic (well, probably not that one...)
    Inquisitorial Advisor - Battle Group Imperators Aegis
    The Death Korps of Krieg @ FW

dont think there will be that many books, suspect it will more of a side line suplamanet

ZZ9 plural Z alpha (England, Somerset, Bath)

Is it just me, or does anyone else want a Dutch colonial army for FoW...?
    Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

dont think there will be that many books, suspect it will more of a side line suplamanet
    Agreed. There will probably be one book covering the main armies in the theatre. I seriously doubt that FoW will bother with the Chinese and Russian campaigns. I'd expect Japanese vs Commonwealth in Burma and Japanese vs America on the Pacific islands. They could easily fit that into a single book along with some new rules and senarios.

Kahadras
    Last edited by Kahadras; 14-02-2009 at 23:27.
    Yukikaze's power was beyond what even he had expected. Finally free of her crew, she killed all their safeguards and revealed capacities exceeding her design limits. He tried to tame this new Yukikaze, but she refused his orders, judging them errors, and danced freely in the skies of Faery...

Quote Originally Posted by answer_is_42 View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else want a Dutch colonial army for FoW...?
    Yep me! Both my grandfathers served in the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army

I'd expect Japanese vs Commonwealth in Burma and Japanese vs America on the Pacific islands.
    Thats roughly what I would expect as well, though I would also expect the Chinese to be represented. Other forces such as the Soviets would be covered in web articles I suspect.

though I would also expect the Chinese to be represented
    I'd have to say that I don't think the Chinese will be in the Pacific book at all. Most battles in China were horribly one sided. The Chinese army lacked virtualy everything from planes all the way down to ammunition. The only real way to play the Chinese would be to have a horde of reluctant conscripts with a distinct lack of air support, tanks, artillery and support weapons (MG's and morters).

Kahadras

Yes but then the Italians were also represented in Ostfront and the same could have been said about them (though to a lesser extent). I wouldnt expect them to be a main list but they will probably be featured.

If you want to collect Pacific theatre, base them according to FOW standards and just use either BKC or a fan list or counts as list for Flames until an official supplement comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahadras View Post
    I'd have to say that I don't think the Chinese will be in the Pacific book at all. Most battles in China were horribly one sided. The Chinese army lacked virtualy everything from planes all the way down to ammunition. The only real way to play the Chinese would be to have a horde of reluctant conscripts with a distinct lack of air support, tanks, artillery and support weapons (MG's and morters).

Kahadras
    Flames on war do not necessarily have to involve huge battles with thousands of men. Do not forget the game is more of a company/battalions size. Although it is true that many huge battles are one sided, the chinese also won many minor skirmishers. In fact in my opinion the Chinese perform far better than the British troops at Malaya or the Americans at Phillipines.

With regards to equipment, it is unfortunate that the Nationalist army do not have standard equipment, they tend to buy various 2nd hand vehicles from various nations from time to time. There are so many models that it is real messy to make a wargame in my opinion. However towards the war’s end, Nationalist armies tend to be equipped solely with American arms...thus making it easier for the game designers to create a Chinese army.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast