Thread: How to convert AoBR Space Marines to Chaos Marines

How to convert AoBR Space Marines to Chaos Marines

hey everyone. Since my friend wanted a chaos army and just bought the AoBR he wants to convert it. Specifically the Iron Warriors CSM.

But I don't know where to start, since where both new to the hobby and I play orks.

Help please!!

thanks!!
    The quick green ork jumped over the lazy grot!!

Scout
    Paradise, Canada Rank: I are Serious Cat! Chaplain: Astrum Lux Lucis starlight - it's for girls!

Re: How to convert AoBR Space Marines to Chaos Marines

Moved to Painting General.

The first step would be to search the Log Forums for Iron Warriors Threads, and the Web in general for Iron Warriors information (GW, Lexicanium, etc). Once he's decided on a look that works for him, he can proceed from there.
    If you love a Redhead, set Her free...if She follows you everywhere, pitches a tent in your front lawn and your new girlfriend disappears, you belong to Her, get used to it .

What you say about other people, says far more about *you* than it does about *other people*.

Check out my ravings at Geek-O-Rama, where I'm now reviewing and covering Geek-related activities. If you see me at a 'Con, come and say Hi.

RIP Jon Wilson/Brimstone. 1967-2009. Memorial for Jon Wilson/Brimstone

thanks starlight! sorry for posting in the wrong section!

well what we have decided is to remove the icons and stuff of the SM like purity seals and the like. but it would still look like a generic SM.

how do you Chaosify it? What we plan to do is to add horns, but that's it.

anyone got tips?

you can take lots of heads from CSM players as they tend to have lots of spare heads.

in general it isn't suppose to be that hard to convert them. Just look up photos-and from them its applaying spikes, skulls, etc. really, you don't need to be that creative.

Well spikes=Chaos.

Head swap and weapon swaps should be a cheap way of pulling this off.

the thing about Chaos legions is they aren't ALL the original traitors, and a lot of them scavenge armour from loyalists they've killed to replace any of theirs that's too badly damaged, so you can get away with a few looking fairly loyalist, as long as you remove icons and add Chaos symbols to represent them taking loyalist armour and defiling it, or recently turned renegades who have joined the Iron Warriors.

thank you all for the advice. I shall ask the people I know if they have spare heads and other bits. and we'll see how it turns up.

If not then I'll just have to sculpt or scratch build my own.

How do people feel of those bucket type knight helmets of old but with horns or spikes? these are the easiest to make. plus i aint got no sculpting skills.

He coould always spend a little bit more money and buy some actual CSMs, porbably only one box would be enough to mix a whole variety of Chaos marines out of the Black Reach Marines. This would require quite a bit of work, but presumably he's up for that anyway.

After that to keep working with the Black Reach kit I'd suggest he got a box of CSM terminators and mixed them up with the Black Reach ones, which would give him a whopping ten terminators, allowing him to have plenty of variety in his kit outs. Then something like a CSM vindicator or predator kit, for two reasons, one for the original tank and two for the extra chaos gubbins to convert up the Black Reach dreadnought. Either way I can see it being a lot of work without the readily available bits box, that as new players you won't have developed yet. Worth doing though I guess.

You don't even need to convert them all I did was give mine the same colour scheme as my CSM and that was that . I play mine as a khorne army so they have red armour with gold trims and some bits painted like bone such as the helmet, you can also add marks and icons just to make it really obvious that they are chaos marines.

THE LOST WORLD FACEBOOK TWITTER

Reptiles, amphibians and creepy stuff

Just say that they're "new recruits" Don't do crazy conversions but at least take off the loyalist markings. I did this when I first played with CSM. I had a few marines and converted them to beef up my new Iron Warriors force. I would say if you have green stuff... make a trim on the edges of the shoulder pads (at least) and on the legs. This can improve your greenstuff skills so you can convert other models. '

I would have to Agree with MaliGn on how to make his force bigger in a cheap way. You can at least buy a rhino with the CSM squad box and that will give you Chaos bitz for your Dreadnought. You get extra heads and gear from the squad.

And please put that stupid AoBR captain model chopped up and clearly dead on the base of your newly recruited Dreadnought base. Muahahaha! Goodluck!

Smile Re: How to convert AoBR Space Marines to Chaos Marines

Quote Originally Posted by otenrider View Post
    hey everyone. Since my friend wanted a chaos army and just bought the AoBR he wants to convert it. Specifically the Iron Warriors CSM.

But I don't know where to start, since where both new to the hobby and I play orks.

Help please!!

thanks!!
    what i did was got some cm and some sm and drilled tiny holes and made scratches on the sm's painting there skin rotting flesh and not changing the colour as they probly wouldnt bother changing there amour as there undead and called my army redux (in latin it means brought back ! )

beside the spikes you could also go for some other more chaosy stuff. go to a hardware store ang get some tiny fine-linked chain and put it on pauldrons or around legs or something. glue a skull to it for the occasional trophy.
    flaying is another favorite hobby of spiky bob and his friends, so get some greenstuff, roll it up into a neat sausage and then carefully spread it out with some smooth object. create some folds and put it on another pauldron. et voila, flayed skin as a trophy.
    there's tons of ways to chaosify loyalist marines, it all depends on the skill of the hobbyist though.
    my logs of whatever i feel like painting:
    Random | Fantasy | Marines | Goff Orks |
    my brother's chaos warbands
    my CMON page | my blog