Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Lords Space Marines. 2nd Company.

Talking Iron Lords Space Marines. 2nd Company.

Hello there!
    i have been knocking about here for a couple of years and i always find these project logs such a constant source of inspiration as far as modelling and painting and converting goes, so i was hoping to give something back with my latest army, im working on the second company of the Iron Lords Space Marine Chapter, and whereas normally in the past i work from 'stock' armies due to the wealth of inspiring background, ( i have completed Salamanders, Blood Angels, Raven Guard, Ultramarines and Iron Hands to name but a few)

i decided to work on something with a spark on inspiration but little in the way of reference material to see what i could do.

The Iron Lords Colour scheme has always interested me, with their different coloured "Trouser" sections of armour, i thought there was something highly individual about them, as well as their helmet stripe company markings, which hark back to rogue trader days.

Here is everything i have painted so far, 2250 points all in.

As i painted the first combat squad of marines i started to think of what their background might be like, and by the sound of things, these guys and the Death Spectres seem to be the Desperadoes of the imperium, out on the fringe of the galaxy holding back bizarre and unknown threats that most of the imperium will never even hear about, the little snippet of information provided in the Codex has these guys down as exterminating an entire race 'the Barghesi' so that hive fleet kraken cant harvest their genetic material. which is badass on two levels,
    One. a thousand guys wiped out an entire alien race.
    and
    Two. its one big 'screw you' to the Tyranids.

This is my Company Captain, who i have dutifully named Syrax.
    whenever i make armies i like to inject as much character as possible into my HQ's so that they really stand out, i converted him from One of the Masters of the Chapter, adding the Maximus head from the black Templars sprue and the Storm shield from another Master of the Chapter, with a small amount of green stuffing to make the wrist and the shield meet up.
    I figure he would have been a member of the chapter for many years working his way up through the ranks and becoming Company Champion at one point and then taking over from his mentor, i can imagine him staring down a carnifex or dreadnought no problem.

This is the first Tactical squad i completed, i decided to base the army around two squads of ten tactical marines and then i wanted to include as wide a variety of other units to keep my painting schedule interesting!

This is squad Gorak, both my tactical sergeants are armed with power weapons and plasma pistols a combo i first saw used in a friends ultramarines army, underused i started to appreciate the extra punching power of the bonus plasma shot at close range. also i was dying to utilize the Mark 2 Veteran Models and this allowed me to do so!

This is squad Xasthur, who have a slightly more interesting weapons loadout with a plasma gun and multi melta, i usually combat squad these guys, sitting the multi melta and four bolter boys in some cover as far forward as i can to threaten vehicles with the melta range and then i use the plasma pistol/plasma gun as an anti marine guerilla squad, and it has worked quite well so far!

In my 1750 list which i play with most often i have a lascannon razorback to accompany each of my tactical squads, i love these tanks, an almost garunteed lascannon shot a turn and considering how safe transports are nowadays they can be vital cover for my boys! you might notice the zealot crewman poking out the top waving a chainsword, i dont normally add exposed crew on space marine tanks, ive normally thought it was too much effort, but i thought it would be worth trying it out, and i think it has been worth the extra time it has taken to paint him up

<

Re: Iron Lords Space Marines. 2nd Company.

After painting up my minimum force organisation requirements i started to add extra stuff to my force to give it some punching power, first up was a terminator squad 'Tyrok', from Assault on Black reach, the only addition i gave these guys was after a couple of games i decided i wanted a Cyclone missile launcher so i rooted around my bits box and found one which i mounted on the terminator trooper who had survived the most games as i thought he deserved it

Painting the Terminators gave me a taste for the Black reach models, they were a real treat to paint and assemble (so much hard work cut out!) i added the multi melta dreadnought as well, who i actually prefer to the older individually boxed model as i think the reduced power plant makes him look more sleek, i also have a long running tradition that all my dreadnoughts in space marine Armies are named 'Oryx' after my Venerable Dreadnought General from my old Iron Hands army. When i decided to add Vanguard Veterans (more on them later) to the army, i decided it would be pretty sick to give the Dreadnought a drop pod with a locator beacon, so far its given some armies a pretty brutal headache, and brother Oryx claimed 2 Land Raiders in one game! as well as a slightly humerous occasion where he chased a fleeing Vindicator, finally catching it in combat and beating it to a pulp, so hes doing pretty well. come to think of it, i dont think hes died yet.

After finishing my Dreadnought, i decided i wanted a Thunderfire cannon as i have seen it rack up 16 wounds against a Necron Immortal squad in one turn, these things are pretty brutal, its also real good fun shooting subterranean shells at Assault terminators in cover so they can only move 1 D6. and in my last game it wiped out a Space Marine Assault squad in one turn of shooting, oh and you can fortify a ruin to a 3+ save which annoys the hell out of everyone.

Next up was an assault squad 'Garvax' of the regular variety for a bit of speed and also they are brilliant to have in your lines to support your tactical squads when things get heated, you redeploy them wherever they are needed most, and they rarely end up high on your enemies priority targets with things like dreadnoughts and terminators running around!
    I wanted a veteran Sergeant with lightning claws because there is something pretty damn cool about the image of an 8 foot tall guy landing amongst a squad of the enemy and disembowling them in seconds!

to give a bit more backbone to the army i decided on a Predator Destructor, 'Divine Judgement' these things are hideously cheap nowadays and with front armour 13 ramming is always an option!

Next up are my favorite unit in the whole army, i was in a GW and a kid had just bought a pack of vanguard vets and he was putting them together, i saw them in the flesh and thought 'Damn, gotta get me some of those!'
    i also love the quote in the Marine Codex under their unit entry, that aloof arrogance and sureness is what marines are all about for me. i wanted my Iron Lords to be affected by arrogance, but only because they view the enemies of the emperor as weak so they themselves must be greater.
    and people's faces go white when they drop down and start hacking away without even getting shot at once.

Next up i wanted to add another troops choice but wanted to keep it a bit different and interesting, so i opted for a squad of sniper scouts led by Sergeant Telion, i decided to keep him as Telion himself, resplendant with Ultramarines symbols and all, partially because i was interested to see what it would look like and partially because i had nightmares at the though of all that filing! i am yet to use these boys yet so i will let you know how they get on, the cloaks were good fun to paint too!
    <

and lastly i had to have a Redeemer, not only one of the coolest named units in 40k i have fond memories of using one in my Salamanders army, it also fits the whole zealous purging imagery i wanted to go for, i could imagine the Iron Lords piling up the bodies of the aliens they defeat after a battle and this thing trundling over to incinerate them as one last crushing gesture of dominance.

thats all ive done so far, here are a couple of close ups, i would love to hear what people have to think! i will add more pictures as i paint stuff, working on a Sternguard squad and then a command squad for Syrax Next i think!

<

Wow those are really nice!

I particularly like the Vanguard and the themed objective markers/barricades are a nice touch.

Keep up the good work!
    Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

When life gives you lemons...
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!
    <

Scotland. Also known to frequent Cretacia

Fantastic work Animatronica. Your HQ is sweet btw.

Only crtisism i would have for the whole army would have been to remove the U's from telion otherwise i very much look forward to seeing where you take this.
    Wanted: Ltd ed Skaven BSB PM if you have one to sell
    Current projects:
    Fleshtearers(active: 0 painted '09)
    Skaven(just aquiring whilst waiting on new clanrats: 0 painted '09)
    <

Thankyou both!

after a bit of thinking i decided to keep the U's on Telion because when i was reading up on his background it said that the Ultramarines sometimes 'hire' him out to other chapters, i thought his appearance in my army might be just one instance of such a thing happening, and i figured that when he does, he is probably more than happy to wear the colours of the chapter he is working with, but would probably keep his main affiliations on display, that was why i left the U's not just sheer laziness (though i have taken U's off a model before and it was horrible.)

One day, Games workshop will sculpt marine characters with little circular areas where the insignia is present on a model instead of just U's, that way we could all paint it however we liked without cutting our fingers open!
    <

I love that colour scheme!

Too bad I'm way too much into CSM atm.

Lol @ stuff about Telion.
    <

These are absolutely BLOODY AMAZING!
    WE DEMAND BETTER NON-BLURRY PICTURES!

Well done, mate.
    <

i like these mate cool.
    GLORY IN DEATH IS LIFE ETERNAL
    check out my templars please leave comments. cheeres wookiee.
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165412
    KRIEG 131st ENFORCER SIEGE DETATCHMENT.
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190153
    warriors of chaos nurgle army
    <

Haha, yeah sorry the pictures suck a bit i didnt realise how blurry they were till i uploaded them, i will muck about with the settings and take some better ones, thankyou for the kind words
    <

These are amazing. I was tempted to do some Iron Lords after seeing them in the new codex, and you have only made that urge worse! I love all the little details, like the text and iconography on each marine. And the bases are great too.

I'm subscribed cos I'd love to see MORE!
    'Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Safeguard the helpless though it may lead to your death. That is your oath. Now rise. Rise a Knight.'
    <

here are some more pictures, im hoping they are a bit better than last time, its my girlfriend's camera, so i dont really know how to use it im just fiddling with the settings and hoping for the best!

<

Scotland. Also known to frequent Cretacia

Oof those new pics make the stuff look even better. Whats the red? Scab red highlighted with blood red?

Ah didn't know that about Telion. Totally agree though about the U's.

Whats next for these guys?
    Wanted: Ltd ed Skaven BSB PM if you have one to sell
    Current projects:
    Fleshtearers(active: 0 painted '09)
    Skaven(just aquiring whilst waiting on new clanrats: 0 painted '09)
    <

yeah its just scab red highlighted with blood and then blazing orange in some places, im a terribly lazy painter, i dont really thin my paints down and blowing the models up to 300% doesnt do much to cover the sin! im working on some sternguard at the moment, im gonna use the single lightning claw Mk 2 Veteran converted to be carrying a boltgun, he will be my replacement Veteran Sergeant for them, i plan to use the Sternguard guy as a Tactical squad sergeant if i get around to doing another squad, quite excited to do an ironclad dreadnought up when they come out too! im heading down to my local games club this week so i will let y'all know how i get on, i think im due for my first loss!
    <

im currently in the process of getting rid of all the odds and ends of all the extra marine armies ive started over the years, im not too sure on the forum rules regarding this subject so i wont go into too much detail about where they are going...

but as i was taking pictures of them i was struck by nostalgia so i thought i would share them with you on here!

These are some relictors i did when the WD article with rules for them was published aeons ago, they were pretty sick, then i started collecting a Grey knight army and i always felt a bit dirty whenever i looked back over my relictors, dirty little sinners!

This is an Imperial fist Chaplain i did, i loved my imperial fists but they drove me completely insane and took forever to paint! i was really happy with the gold trim on his power armour.

and more boys in yellow, these were done in the days before iyanden darksun so they were done with golden yellow and the now defunct orange ink. and a million layers.
    <

Wow man these guys look amazing. I too agree about the Vanguard, its always fun to watch your enemy freak out when those guys drop in and go straight to assault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Chaplian Raimo View Post
    SCORPIOWNED!!!
    Frak The Torpedoes! A Tale of 3 BFG Admirals!
    <

Very good, especially the captain looks some more different in a positive way from all the others you can see all arount warseer.

And the head of the relictor champion is great to.

Good job ;D
    <

Chaplain The_Dark_Lord_Obsidian's Avatar

i'm quite liking these, the paint job on Syrax is pretty sweet, as is the conversion of course! How did you get the rusted effect on the sword of the vanguard vetenarian?
    <

Those Iron Lords look just as awesome as their fluff suggests they would. Congratulations on a very nice looking army.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcraigen View Post
    The Emperor Comandeth that I shall Pimp his Crew.
    <

Here are a couple more close-ups!

So i played a game last night, against an ork army with two 30 man units of boyz (one was a unit of 30 ARd boyz with Ghazghkull in) and a unit of 12 bikers as well as some deff koptas grots and kommandoz and a mek with a force field.

first of all, thunderfire cannons are immense fun against ork units protected by force fields as it only grants them a cover save not an invulnerable save, so it reaped a heavy toll before getting binned by Ghazghkull. The Vanguard and the dread took on the unit of bikes and after three turns of successively hideous bad rolling i managed to come out on top albeit without any vanguard alive, my Regular assault squad were amazing, i think they flew the length of the board throughout the game, they were darting left and right finishing off everything in their path. definately unit of the match.
    not impressed with syrax though, got murked by Ard boyz! back to the gym for you son! and squad telion lost a staring contest against the bikers and their 12 twin linked big shootaz that was painful.
    <

Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast