Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Tzen's Word Bearer's blog

Tzen's Word Bearer's blog

To sit next to my Ultramarines Blog, I thought I'd add my Word bearers, here's what I've got so far.

Sorry about the quality of some of the pics. And some of the bases aren't finished on the models, like the demon prince for example.

I have some minis in issue 49 of White Dwarf!

This is the picture of my Word Bearers Terminators.

Here is a clearer picture of the minis in question!

I am pretty damn happy about this, and pretty shocked too!

Last edited by Tzen; 11-01-2015 at 14:28.

Re: Tzen's Word Bearer's blog

Last edited by Tzen; 10-05-2014 at 01:17.

Last edited by Tzen; 10-05-2014 at 01:19.

Exquisite; you have my highest commendations.
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183436, for all your Angels Sanguine needs (which probably aren't all that great).

Awesome, the empty hoods look really evil.
    my 40k tactic = CHARGE!

these look great, im planning on doing word bearers pre heresy, do you think that the cloaks would still work on them even pre heresy?

CURRENTLY ACCEPTING COMMISSION WORK AT LOW LOW PRICES FOR HIGH TABLE TOP STANDARD!!

Check out my new brazen claw log here
    or my Deathwatch log here

or my facebook page here!

Quote Originally Posted by LordKhaine View Post
    these look great, im planning on doing word bearers pre heresy, do you think that the cloaks would still work on them even pre heresy?
    Another one planning to do pre....oh wait you're doing pre-heresy! I'm planning on doing mine from the Invasion of Calth time, so that would be heresy right?

I think the cloaks would work pre-Heresy as well, they were converting the masses and being all priest like anyways.
    Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Space ship design project

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

very cool stuff
    Without judgement
    Perception would increase a million times
    -Chuck

. Space Wolves Plog .

.;

Beautiful stuff. The horrors of tzeentch really look great in their vibrant, clean colours. The contrast between your WBs cloaks and the armour is great, your rhino is one of the best chaos ones I've ever seen, and the "empty hood" idea is just plain brilliant.

Bleedin internet died after i'd posted these last night

Anyways! Ta for the comments. I've been a bit down regarding my word bearers recently, as Im a naturally "clean" painter, and the fact that Chaos marines are generally quite messy got me feeling that the standard of the army just wasn't that great.

If you compare the CSM's here, and the Marines from my Ultramarine blog or the Horror/flamers, i just dont think the standard is that great of the CSM's. Everytime i paint a clean red though, they stop looking like word bearers, and more like Khorne bezerkers or "clean" chaos marines.

The daemon princes' wings are a huge dissappointment to me also

Started on them again now though, want to try and focus on them, as im a Chaos player at heart. Any ideas or tips regarding the red armour are very welcome.
    Last edited by Tzen; 09-04-2009 at 09:15.

Chaplain

The paintjob on that Rhino is immense, and I love the faceless marines. It seems like that would be a good enough gimmick to carry its own legion.

Lovely! Exactly like the ones I am planning. Im not a big fan of using the existing Daemon models as they have special rules and a new book so I would rather convert my own "lesser" ones or buy models from a different manufacturer but... that's just a matter of taste. I will be watching this!
    Innocentia Nihil Probat - Innocence Proves Nothing
    Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
    - Fresh from the Forge Painting Log -

Are the hooded CSM's chosen or just normal marines? Excellent painting, really like the rhino.

wow, maaan, now I really need to give my Word Bearers an upgraded paintjob.
    Very nice GS work on making the hooded legs work with a CSM torso. Didnt notice it at first!

I will follow this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzen View Post
    Everytime i paint a clean red though, they stop looking like word bearers, and more like Khorne bezerkers or "clean" chaos marines.
    Started on them again now though, want to try and focus on them, as im a Chaos player at heart. Any ideas or tips regarding the red armour are very welcome.
    Sorry to hear that you're not happy with these (really lovely!) marines. I think they look fantastic. If you're concerned with them looking like Berzerkers, that's probably because of the warm, yellow-based red mixes you're using (like the left-most pastel in this pic).

If you use a cold red (like the pastel second from left), you'll immediately distance your marines from the traditional warm red of Khorne.

It'll also give them a slightly sinister cast, as cold colours recede. Try using Scab Red as the basecoat, with a 50:50 mix of Scab Red and Liche Purple for the recesses. You'll find that the slightly colder blue tone of this mix will distance the marines from Berezerkers, and it'll also set off the silver trim much more fittingly.

If you don't want to fully repaint all these marines, you could try a wash of Asurmen Blue followed by Thraka Green. This'll knock the hot red back a touch.

That said, I think they look great. From the Ultramarines and horrors, it's clear you're a very talented painter, with great technical ability; so why not try some freehand Word Bearer Legion symbols on the front of the cloaks? That'll add a spiffy focal point to the models, which are lacking one at the moment owing to the (awesome) shrouded faces.
    Imperium Secundus
    Rebuilding painting blogs

Industrious, bionically-enhanced member of the Plastic Crack Rehab Clinic

Oeh sweet! I like those caped dudes. The fact that you can't see their helmets makes them very menacing.

have you thought about giving their eyes a bit of a glow? Or are their helmest totally drilled out or something? If not, some green glow from their eyes would probably make them even scarier!
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Hey thanks again for the comments guys, i do appreciate them as i was getting to the point of giving up on these fellas, which really got me down because they're my favourite legion.

@ Apologist

Thanks for the help, ive been basing these guys with gore red + a touch of black for the bascoat, and building them up from there. The problem i have, is i use highlights a lot to get the "clean" effect i get on most models. And i'm finding it difficult to do that with these guys.

I might try and work some battle damage into the paint job, to use natural muddy and earth tones to bring it to the level i want, but its a case of trial and error.

Regarding the hoods! I love the idea of corrupted religion, and what says that better than robed CSM's

The idea behind the hidden face is to represent the faceless nature of undivided Chaos. I needed something that said "yes we are Chaos space marines and we love Chaos undivided." With All the major chaos Gods there's a specific trait or look they have. With undivided, other than the generic CSM models, there's nothing to go off. And that didn't feel right to me for one of the founding legions. I didn't want the Word Bearers just being normal chaos space marines but painted red.

Just the thought process really, it turned out better than i hoped it would

These are just normal marines, i mixed in some None robed marines into each squad to emphasis the point. Whne i do the Veteran squad the plan is to have liturgy and free hand designs over the robes to really distinguish them. Also maybe some fancy stuff comign out of the cowls. Not decided yet

Im not above any kind of help or criticism at all, so i appreciate any help or things you think would look cool. Just general idea's would be ace too.
    Last edited by Tzen; 09-04-2009 at 12:42.

beautifully painted! love the hooded marines, nicely executed!

Very nice models. I'll be watching eagerly from the shadows.
    Cal

I must say that I quite like your Word Bearers scheme, well...if you're not too happy about it, why not try this: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/i...howarticle=373
    Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Space ship design project

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast